ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

MGM 1999 - B-Stage by Littleredrooster... Thanks again Rooooooooster!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sharing the Music Return to archive
06-07-02 03:53 PM
Fiji Joe Is there any interest from members of this Board in freeing up some of thier bootlegs by posting them on Kazaa (the P2P file sharing program)?...I know that many live shows are already available,. if you're patient...or does anyone know of any other way I can expand by boot collection...I have no originals and have been dealing strictly with MP3s where I edit them and burn them to CD
06-07-02 04:54 PM
steel driving hammer The way I have always gathered Stones is just through the US Mail.
Get a burner etc...
I never dealt w/ Napster or Kazza. Never.
Originals aren't too important either I think.
Unless you collect them but they sound the same as a copy.

Drop me a line I'll show you my list.
I'll get you started - if you Start Me Up.
06-07-02 04:59 PM
MRD8 I'll try to put a couple of the Mickboy Stones remasters on Kazaa...my username there is bmccombs1951...I'll see if I can figure out how to do it.
06-07-02 07:11 PM
Cardinal Ximinez NO!

STOP!

DO NOT USE THOSE FUCKING MP3 SITES!

MP3s sound like shit. And if you use MP3s to trade with...YOU WILL BE RUINING THE CDR POOL!

Especially stuff as good as the Mickboy remasters!

Good GOD man, putting Mickboy on an MP3 site would be like mixing Crown Royal with RC Cola! Don't frigging do it.

Not only that...but those music sharing sites spread viruses all over the place.

I guarantee you, you ever send me a CDR with an MP3 source in a trade...and it'll be the last trade I ever do with you. And I'll bet ya, I'm not the only trader that feels that way. MP3 is taboo, man...big time.
06-07-02 07:13 PM
Honky Tonk Man Just what are the "Mick Boy Remeasters"? You know im intrested!!
06-07-02 10:16 PM
Fiji Joe Cardinal...who the hell is talking about trading? I'm talking about putting selected songs on Kazaa...or FTP if you're worried about viruses...as for MP3 quality, that seems to be a personal taste to me...personally, I can't tell the difference...I sure as heck wouldn't trade an MP3 source w/ anyone unless they expressed they didn't care...either way, get used to it b/c this will be the method of trading in the future...I bet you fought like hell to keep people from switching to cassettes to CDs
06-08-02 08:18 AM
MRD8 I've converted Mickboys Satanic Majesties and Exiles to mp3's and made them available through Kazaa but I couldn't figure out how to put the name of the group and CD on there...it lists them as "New Artist" on my list...there are three seperate files with that title...my username there is bmccombs1951...see if you can access them! I can email you the artwork for them which has the order of the songs.
Card,
I have to agree that I don't hear any difference in the sound quality between mp3's and shn or wma...mp3 was the industry standard for a long time and really still is so I bet you have stuff in your collection that is mp3 sourced...there's not much chance that me and you will ever trade so don't worry about getting mp3 sourced discs from me!
06-08-02 09:50 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Just get stuck into audiogalaxy.com No virus stuff there yet.
06-08-02 10:16 AM
Cardinal Ximinez Well, I can tell you that I CAN tell the difference between MP3 and audio source. If you can't tell the difference then you aren't paying much attention. MP3s, when uncompressed, sound tinny, over-reverbed, and have all kinds of clicks and digipops. And I DO know when I get MP3 sourced material. Usually, I'm fair with the person that sent it to me...they probably didn't know. So I let them know, and I go back on the hunt for a better source. But if someone tries to pass off an MP3 as a DAT, or original silver disc source....they are done trading with me.

MP3 format is not lossless. Everytime an MP3 is compressed and uncompressed, you lose some of the integrity of the recording. shn is a lossless format, an exact copy. Do you know what EAC is? Ever run an MP3 thru EAC? How many thousands of errors were there? shn is the future of trading, not MP3. Try trading MP3s on E-Tree, or Dylantree, or just about any of the boot trading groups. It don't fly very far. Loss is really important...especially on very old recordings. Old recordings already suffer from generational loss, and poor recording equipment(poor compared to what we can record with now)....compounding it even further by using lossy formats is a bad thing. I don't see how that can even be argued.

And for your info, I was never crazy about cassettes. The CD format is far and away better for storing and playing music than a cassette. Who wants that hisssssssssssssssss. Ask SDH how I feel about tape hiss.

I freely admit that I'm pretty anal retentive about my collection. If I trade, I always ask what the source is. I expect trading partners to make me DAO, clean copies. And in the end, I've built a collection that I'm very proud of. If you tell me that all you have is MP3, that won't mean that I won't share the music....I just won't trade. I'll usually take it on as a B & P. Ask around here. I love sharing. All I ask is that you be honest about what you are trading, and don't trade me something that I can't pass on to someone else.

You see fellas, even though it doesn't matter to some of you...it impacts people like me. When you spread stuff sourced from MP3, or TAO discs, or stuff full of skips and pops...you are watering down what is available. In other words, you are making it harder to find good, clean copies. The more shit that is spread, the more shit I have to wade thru to find good stuff. This causes people like me many headaches and lots of frustration. Now if you think I'm not the norm, you are wrong...in fact in most trading circles, I'm pretty easy going. There are TONS of people out there who won't take a trade if it's not on certain types of discs, or if it's not EAC extracted, or if it's not in shn format, stuff like that. I've seen trade rules lists that have 10+ points!

If you like MP3s, more power to ya. Just stick to the MP3 sites. I'm just asking that you not further pollute the CDR pool with MP3 sourced material.
06-08-02 10:51 AM
nankerphelge Testimony -- The Good Cardinal is the most kind and generous man. For that, he is not only going to Roseland, but he will also find much chiba in his future!!! Black Limo I baby!!

I can tell you that whatever the format, source, generation, type of disc, or whatever else one judges from, there ain't nothing like TGCX's Handsome Girls -- still causing tingles after 3 million plays!!

06-08-02 10:59 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Now The Cardinal is talking sense! The comparison is similar re vinyl v CD Play The London Years 3 CD set on a quality hi-fi and the sound is irritating. Despite it containing my favourite music I cannot stand to listen to it. Poor remastering??
06-08-02 11:15 AM
Cardinal Ximinez Well, that's nice of you to say Nanky....I like you too.

BTW, for the MSG Black Limo crowd.....The Gassy Twins are gonna put together a special set just for you! I won't give it away...but just think of the city we'll be in.....

I'm also working on a cool t-shirt design for the occassion.

We should start an official list of Limo riders...Here's what we have so far...

1. MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmMaxy!
2. Me
3. FPM
4. Marko
5. Jaxx
6. Moonie
7. Dandelion

I've seen other names tossed around...like Nanky, Gazza, Riffhard, and TomL....but I don't know if they actually scored tickets...I know some of the C10 guys from the other place may have MSG tix, but I don't know if they are limo riding...and obviously, since it's Maxy's dime we are riding on....the final list is subject to his approval.

06-08-02 01:10 PM
Maxmeister [quote]Cardinal Ximinez wrote:

Well, that's nice of you to say Nanky....I like you too.

BTW, for the MSG Black Limo crowd.....The Gassy Twins are gonna put together a special set just for you! I won't give it away...but just think of the city we'll be in.....

I'm also working on a cool t-shirt design for the occassion.

We should start an official list of Limo riders...Here's what we have so far...

1. MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmMaxy!
2. Me
3. FPM
4. Marko
5. Jaxx
6. Moonie
7. Dandelion

I've seen other names tossed around...like Nanky, Gazza, Riffhard, and TomL....but I don't know if they actually scored tickets...I know some of the C10 guys from the other place may have MSG tix, but I don't know if they are limo riding...and obviously, since it's Maxy's dime we are riding on....the final list is subject to his approval.

I'm there. I've got seats for MSG and Giants. And I just took care of the plane this morning.
I know Riffhard is in. The C10ers, SDH and 2000Man are not going east the last I heard.

Rick

06-08-02 08:13 PM
nanky I should be there -- Max says tickets are a lock and even if that doesn't work, the only thing that could screw me up is work (and even that is highly unlikely).

I wouldn't miss the limo for anything!
06-09-02 03:32 PM
Fiji Joe Well, Cardinal and the others with bat ears, who can differentiate between the fart of a flea and the fart of a knat aside, I appreciate all suggestions and help I have had with this post...It seems to be that WinMX at winmx.com is the software of choice...I was amzed at the number of bootlegs on this site...Thanks for the help
06-09-02 05:38 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Well, Fiji think what you want. I doubt my ears are any better than yours. All I can tell you is that when I play MP3 sourced material beside the same material from an audio source, the comparison isn't even close. It's THAT noticable.

Maybe you don't have anything to compare with...I don't know. All I can say is that I can't see how you can't notice it. And if you are willing to settle for that stuff, help yourself.

I'll go put on Voodoo Edo, close my eyes, and feel like I'm on the friggin' stage...you can listen to an MP3 of the same thing, close your eyes, and feel like you are in line at the beer stand.

To each his own I suppose.
06-09-02 06:55 PM
Fiji Joe I kinda of like it by the beer stand...it's that less further to the pisser

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road