ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Stade Gerland, Lyon 18th June 2007
© Jeep and Stalemate2006!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The problem with hero worship Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
7th June 2007 03:17 PM
throbby What in the hell is swag?
7th June 2007 03:20 PM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
they dont owe anyone shit.

Keith has sucked more and more each tour since 89... Ronnie's a clown... the horn section drowns out everything

this is old news

blame yourselves for just waking up to it now

in 2007, no one should be shocked to go to a Stones show and see Ronnie or Keith or both having an off night. Its been happening for 17 years now

Deal with it. Just do what I do: just go to the show, get fucked up, hope to hear some rare nuggets and have a good time. Modern day Stones is just a big party. They're not a technically sound rock band. Dont go for the performance, you go for the experience -- the party.

lifes just a cocktail party!!! for keef!!! good times everybody!!!
7th June 2007 03:20 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
they dont owe anyone shit.

Keith has sucked more and more each tour since 89... Ronnie's a clown... the horn section drowns out everything

this is old news

blame yourselves for just waking up to it now

in 2007, no one should be shocked to go to a Stones show and see Ronnie or Keith or both having an off night. Its been happening for 17 years now

Deal with it. Just do what I do: just go to the show, get fucked up, hope to hear some rare nuggets and have a good time. Modern day Stones is just a big party. They're not a technically sound rock band. Dont go for the performance, you go for the experience -- the party.

I'm not going anymore, product and price don't jive! This bullshit about a refund... I don't get it, whoever brought it up?
Not buying for a ticket b/c the show isn't worth it, is not asking for a refund.
Maybe I'll just make fun of you guys for going and paying for the shows...
[Edited by pdog]
7th June 2007 03:22 PM
pdog
quote:
throbby wrote:
What in the hell is swag?

stuff we all get = merch.
7th June 2007 03:44 PM
mojoman
quote:
throbby wrote:
What in the hell is swag?

1. very low quality marijuana, usually with a low level of THC.
2. Cheap weed, much of it smuggled from mexico in the southwest US.
3. Synonym for "stuff"
7th June 2007 03:48 PM
Joey
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Quit the goddamned hero worship here and pull yer heads outta Keef's drunken ass. He owes us more respect. It was fans like the ones on this very site that paid for his mansion in the hills of Jamaica,and his mansion in Conneticut,and his home in England,etc,etc,etc. You're goddamned straight he owes us!

Riffy

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
7th June 2007 03:51 PM
pdog
quote:
mojoman wrote:

3. Synonym for "stuff"

Keith is bad buds?

I beleive it's achronym not synonym, we must keep integrity... Joey is now posting here...
7th June 2007 03:55 PM
monkey_man
quote:
mojoman wrote:

Dude you are confusing schwag with swag. . .
7th June 2007 03:56 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:

Keith is bad buds?

I beleive it's achronym not synonym, we must keep integrity... Joey is now posting here...

achronicnym
7th June 2007 03:58 PM
pdog
quote:
mojoman wrote:

achronicnym

Could be, I can post, but not spell...
7th June 2007 03:59 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:

Joey is now posting here...

that's right .

THAT'S RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

...just keep reading and I will keep on postin' ALL that Gold you have grown so accustomed to these past forty - three years . Word .
7th June 2007 04:02 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

that's right .

THAT'S RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

...just keep reading and I will keep on postin' ALL that Gold you have grown so accustomed to these past forty - three years . Word .

If you cry and get a rash, you may be released from Omaha!
7th June 2007 04:17 PM
mojoman
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Dude you are confusing schwag with swag. . .

may the force be with you.........
7th June 2007 04:51 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:

may the force be with you.........

7th June 2007 05:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot >It's a matter of knowing what our expectations are, and in 2007 we can't expect excellence 100% and at all times any longer. Sad? Sure! But true.<

You do realize what a completely fucked up statement that is, don't you?

I mean, if that statement is true(I'm not saying it isn't!)...then what the fuck are we all doing here fawning all over a bunch of rich old has-beens that don't give a shit and can't play at 100% anymore.

Do you understand how ridiculous and sad that makes us all look?

I still believe in The Rolling Stones. Even now, with all the evidence to the contrary, I still believe that they have Rock n Roll greatness inside them. I have to believe that. If I didn't believe it, I'd be admitting that I'm obsessed with a nostalgic circus act. And I have better taste than that.

I do not see the situation as irretrievable. They all just have to stop believing their own bullshit, get that internal fire lit, and dedicate themselves to playing Rock n Roll....like only THEY can play it. Holy crap fellas...it isn't that hard. You've been doing it for 40+ years.

Oh what? Dudes are old? Give 'em a break?

Bob Dylan is older than them...and he brings it hard every night.

Willie Nelson is older than them...and he brings it hard every night.

Iggy is 60. The Stooges were absolutely FEROCIOUS...they bring it hard every night.

The surviving NY Dolls are all over 55 yrs old...and they bring it hard every night.

Buzzcocks are all in their 50's. They mop the stage with bands half their age...and they bring it hard every night.

Radio Birdman are all in their mid to upper 50's...and they bring it hard every night. Even after having been on hiatus for 30 years.

So don't give me any of this "They're in their 60's, you can't expect as much from them." Fuck that. If those other artists can do it, so can The Stones.

And if The Stones just don't want to bring it hard every night...then perhaps we should be giving our money and time to some other band that will.
7th June 2007 05:23 PM
Nellcote Admittedly, it is a gravitational pull to go to a Stones show. They come to your area, you have to go.
I'm not giving any free passes to behavior.
Those who do not like, react with your wallet.
They understand that.
Me, I'll still go, just because they are The Stones, and I'll enjoy it, warts and all.
They do not owe me anything, too many great memories.
If this is how it ends, it is what it is.
I'm content to sit back, enjoy the ride.
7th June 2007 05:28 PM
FotiniD SS, for crying out loud, for every example of an over 60 years old band that's hitting it hard, there are another two that are just money-making circus acts, busking in the glory of the early days and cheating audiences. The Stones are NOT that. But still, do you seriously expect that they're gonna be sounding as good as they did in the seventies? And do that on a constant basis, night after night? I think that's just wishful thinking. We're fooling ourselves. Not even Iggy sounds as good as he did some decades ago. It's not just the physical thing, bodies getting old and all. It's the psychological aspect of having being there and done that for all your life.

Now, why do I stick around in spite of that? Heck, cause I think it's perfectly natural. It's perfectly natural for a band to change, it's absolutely normal that they have more off nights in their sixties than they did in their thirties. But still, I do agree with you, they DO have it in them, and when they do give it all they got, they're still the best band in the world.

I'd like those on nights to be the majority too. I'd like them to play all nights like they're on fire. But is that even realistic? Can a band actually do that? Could a band do it for over forty years without deteriorating at all?

I'm repeating myself, but I still think it's a matter of expectations. We expect them to be the Exile on Main Street Stones, the Let it Bleed Stones, the Brussels bootleg Stones. Take the town by storm each night. We can't accept that everything has a start, an acme, a decline and an end. And these are not linear of course, they can be cyclical and change, but the fact is all four of them exist, whether we like it or not.

That's the way I see it, maybe you see it in another way, I respect that, but I still would take this over not having the Stones around. And it's not even a compromise, for crying out loud. We're spoiled rotten.
7th June 2007 05:45 PM
Saint Sway SS,

I get your point, but you've gone a wee bit overboard on some of this...

Dylan's touring band is excellent. But to say that Bob "brings it hard every night" is a stretch. Lets be honest. God bless Bob. But he fucks up more than Keith. Is mostly inaudible. Plus he hides behind a casio keyboard and doesnt even face his audience.

Theres only 2 surviving NY Dolls. The rest of the band is made up of top notch musicians half their age. And for the time that Killer Kane was alive and touring with them on the 'reunion' he was a shell of his former self. Could barely play.

And the Stooges still rock. Sho nuff. But Iggy's younger band is tighter and better. Fact.

and Willie Nelson? Yes, he puts on great sets. But I woudnt say he "brings it hard"... unless we're talking about bong pulls
7th June 2007 05:49 PM
pdog Do the Black Crowes bring it everytime? How old are they? What is face value of their tickets?
7th June 2007 05:51 PM
Joey " Do the Black Crowes bring it everytime? "

7th June 2007 06:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
Do the Black Crowes bring it everytime? How old are they? What is face value of their tickets?

They are the same age as you and I. Late 30's, early 40's.

Tickets range from $30 to $60 (I think)

They certainly try and bring it every night.

I've seen em dead to rights and still bring it with whatever little they got left in the tank

they may despise each other on any given night, but they still put on 2-3 hour shows and jam out (even if someone is fucked out of their tree). The music comes first. Historically with them, if the music takes a backseat, heads roll.
7th June 2007 06:11 PM
throbby I'm 47 and I bring it home hard everynight!
7th June 2007 06:22 PM
pdog I'm finding Paris Hilton news and treatment and the way some treat Keith frighteningly similar.
7th June 2007 06:36 PM
Dan
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Radio Birdman are all in their mid to upper 50's...and they bring it hard every night. Even after having been on hiatus for 30 years.

I was offered a free Radio Birdman ticket but it's the same night as my $22.50 Police show. Did I err in judgement?
7th June 2007 06:40 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:
Do the Black Crowes bring it everytime? How old are they? What is face value of their tickets?

The one time I saw the Black Crowes they couldn't even top Oasis's set which shouldn't have been very difficult. But this was past their prime which was about a year in a different decade.
7th June 2007 06:58 PM
charlotte "Hopefully someone will keep an eye on him before shows from now on."

I can tell you for a fact, while they were in Charlotte,NC for B2B,NS,ABB they had 3 men watching his every move and would not allow him to drink...orders from stones management:No glasses and liquor in Keith's room. at no time. But there was a great deal of weed being smoked

meanwhile, mick took a tour of the city, walked around (hat/sunglasses)spent a lot of time on the phone talking to his kids and one time jogged 4 miles in the park, went to the drawbridge and ate fish/rice w/2 glasses of white wine 3 hours before the show...

7th June 2007 07:29 PM
Nellcote
"I'm 47 and I bring it home hard everynight!"

Throbby from 3 point land-he shoots, he scores!!!
7th June 2007 08:27 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
throbby wrote:
I'm 47 and I bring it home hard everynight!

Oh Baby...Classic.!!

You be a keeper!!!
7th June 2007 09:41 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Dan wrote:

I was offered a free Radio Birdman ticket but it's the same night as my $22.50 Police show. Did I err in judgement?

Dan you sure did man

i recall you saying you got a kick out of beasts of bourbon - well in that case birdman would be a must see for you

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
8th June 2007 02:34 AM
Sir Stonesalot >glory of the early days and cheating audiences. The Stones are NOT that.<

Really? Coulda fooled me.

> But still, do you seriously expect that they're gonna be sounding as good as they did in the seventies? And do that on a constant basis, night after night?<

Kindly point out, in any post that I have made, where I suggest any such thing. What I said was, that I expect any band that I pay to see, to play competently and with some passion every time out. That is what I said. How you take that to mean that they should still sound like they did in the 70's...I dunno? So yes, the Stones should be enthusiastic and competent every single night that they play. I would expect that of any good touring band. And since The Stones are the greatest...they are the greatest, right?...that shouldn't be very hard for them to do. I mean, bands with just a fraction of The Stones pedigree get up and do that every night.

>Not even Iggy sounds as good as he did some decades ago.<

I saw Iggy in 1987...and I saw him a couple of months ago. And you are right, Iggy doesn't sound as good as he did back then. I think he sounds better. That show I saw back in April is somewhere in the top 5 shows I've ever seen in my life.

>it's absolutely normal that they have more off nights in their sixties than they did in their thirties.<

We'll have to agree to disagree about that. Age is no excuse, IMO. If you are suggesting that The Stones physically can't play at 100% anymore because they are too old and infirm, then I say that if they are that bad off they shouldn't be on the road at all. They should be at home resting and getting healthy. I think it is nothing more than a lack of any motivation to play well. The money is guaranteed and in the bank. So now it's show up, fuck around for a bit, and move on to the next most expensive hotel on the planet in the next city.

>But still, I do agree with you, they DO have it in them, and when they do give it all they got, they're still the best band in the world.<

So if they have it in them, why don't they do it more often?

>I'd like them to play all nights like they're on fire. But is that even realistic? Can a band actually do that? Could a band do it for over forty years without deteriorating at all?<

Well THEY say that they can...but then again they say a LOT of shit.

>We expect them to be the Exile on Main Street Stones, the Let it Bleed Stones, the Brussels bootleg Stones. Take the town by storm each night.<

Again, please point out where I say that I expect any of things that you just mentioned. I do think that they should at least ACT like they are trying to take the town by storm each night though. I mean, Keith is a fuckin' pirate after all. I'll say it one last time. I expect that the Stones play with competency and enthusiasm every time they walk on a stage. I think that is a fair expectation for any band that I plunk down cash to see. If The Stones can't handle that task, then I think they should hang it up.

>but I still would take this over not having the Stones around.<

This is the crux of our disagreement. I've seen the Stones 17 times. I don't need to see them again if Werchter is what I'm likely to get. I'm not a betting man...and when I do bet, it's because I know I'm gonna win. Well to me, The Stones are no longer a safe bet. So I would rather not see them again, and keep my memories as mostly good ones. Honestly, I should have quit going to shows after the Roseland Ballroom show.

>We're spoiled rotten.<

That I will agree with. But who spoiled us? The Stones set the bar...and they still talk the talk. But do they have the will, and the passion to walk it like they talk it? If the answer is no, then I'd rather not be spoiled anymore.

>They owe us nothing.<

Bullshit Nelly.

Let's apply your logic to a similar situation, shall we?

You and me are hanging out, amd we get hungry. We decide to put on some nice clothes and go to the best steakhouse in the city. We get there and order the best Porterhouse that they have. When we get our steaks, they are 75% fat & gristle. They are overcooked and dry.

Now...according to you, that steakhouse gave us what we ordered and they owe us nothing else. You pay for your's and leave with no fuss. I, on the other hand, go to the manager, and insist that he give me a proper steak, or I'm not paying for it.

When you purchase a concert ticket...especially at the prices Stones Inc charges...there is a level of expectation that must be met. I understand there is no law to make that stand up in court. But we are not in a court. Perhaps the court of public opinion. But my point is that when you go to a fine restaurant, you expect fine food. If you go to see "The World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band", you expect to see some fine Rock n Roll. It costs a big pile of $$$ to see a Stones show. I expect my money's worth. The last two shows that I saw, I did not feel that I got my money's worth. This last show, I would not have felt that I got my money's worth for sure.

If the Stones come back to the US, and expect me to plunk down a fat wad of $$$ to see the crap that they are putting out there...they are sadly mistaken. If they want my money, they need to quit fucking off, and get consistantly good. They need to prove to me that my money will be well spent. They need to show me that they are still competent, and that they still have passion and enthusiasm.

I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)