ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Stade Gerland, Lyon 18th June 2007
© Jeep and Stalemate2006!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The problem with hero worship Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
6th June 2007 09:11 PM
Riffhard I was going to post this in the Werchter Park thread,but it seems important enough to warrent it's own thread judging by the posts being made in that thread.

The one thing that so many here just seem to shrug off as no big deal is this. Keith is the one that has been slagging off the piss poor performances of Ronnie because of his drinking in years past!!! Now Ronnie has seemingly gotten his shit together and Keith is the one drinking himself into a stupor prior to going on stage in front of tens of thousands of people that have paid Streisand-like prices to see the band.

This crap about the Stones not "owing" us anything is crap! When I pay $200.00 for a ticket,$40.00 for a tour tee shirt,$10.00 to park my fucking car,and another $60.00 for food and drink I sure as hell am owed something! I am owed a performance from a band that has the common decency to play at their level best. Hey there ain't a bigger Keith fan on this board than myself! Look at my screen name fer fucks' sake. I just can not,and will not,make excuses for Keith getting pissed to the gills and blowing riffs that he could play in his sleeep when sober. I was not at this particular show (Werchter Park),but I too have seen some of Keith's drunken shows and they ain't pretty,cool,rock and roll,or excusable. Booze is not like most other drugs. Many people can play while on coke. Most can play when stoned. Keith seemingly mastered playing while he was smacked out of his gourd,but nobody plays well when they are pissed drunk. Nobody! A little buzzed? Sure. Pissed drunk? Never. Anyone remember Ronnie's shows from the Licks tour?

Quit the goddamned hero worship here and pull yer heads outta Keef's drunken ass. He owes us more respect. It was fans like the ones on this very site that paid for his mansion in the hills of Jamaica,and his mansion in Conneticut,and his home in England,etc,etc,etc. You're goddamned straight he owes us!

Riffy
6th June 2007 09:53 PM
speedfreakjive did he fuck up any song in particular??
6th June 2007 09:57 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
did he fuck up any song in particular??

word is he fucked up pretty much every song. I couldn't even watch the whole brown sugar clip.
6th June 2007 10:00 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

word is he fucked up pretty much every song. I couldn't even watch the whole brown sugar clip.

first night accident??
6th June 2007 10:04 PM
pdog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
did he fuck up any song in particular??

he nailed the opening of PIB, then he went somewhere else... And Satisfaction was... Awful!
6th June 2007 10:11 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pdog wrote:

he nailed the opening of PIB, then he went somewhere else... And Satisfaction was... Awful!

yeah but how did he get away with forgetting the riff of Dance Pt 1 on 4 flicks?
6th June 2007 10:14 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

And Satisfaction was... Awful!

That kinda says it all,huh? I mean when Keith is screwing up Satisfaction it's high time that he starts dealing with his high times. I would certainly understand it more if the arthritis was the major culprit here,but having seen some recent interviews and combined with the drunken performances from the second leg of the US tour it would appear that,indeed,Keith is doing way too much self-medicating with his drug of choice. In this case Toxic Waste.

Riffy
6th June 2007 10:17 PM
PartyDoll MEG You all know I love these guys. I'm even spending money I don't have to go see them. Granted this is a bad clip and the sound is distorted..but even still, it made me literally sick to my stomach..So Damn Sad!!
I'm not all "doom and gloom", I'll even give 'em one for first night "jitters".... but I hope that his fellow band members seriously consider doing something to prevent this embarrassment from happening again. If it continues, we will not need to worry about ticket prices.

6th June 2007 10:24 PM
pdog He needs one of those Soprano type interventions...
6th June 2007 10:27 PM
monkey_man I liked the PIB rework. . .I didn't really listen to the other clips. That bad huh?
6th June 2007 10:31 PM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
I liked the PIB rework. . .I didn't really listen to the other clips. That bad huh?

You decide... Despite the quality of the recording, you can tell what is going on... Major crimes have been solved with worse video evidence.

6th June 2007 10:43 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

You decide... Despite the quality of the recording, you can tell what is going on... Major crimes have been solved with worse video evidence.

LOL!

That's why you're a bonafied A-Lister my friend!

Riffy
6th June 2007 10:43 PM
monkey_man I think the problem is Keith is reworking songs on the fly and not letting his bandmates know! I'm glad I didn't pay for that show. I think I'm done with paying for shows of theirs anyway. Enjoy the memories of their great shows.
6th June 2007 10:49 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
You all know I love these guys. I'm even spending money I don't have to go see them. Granted this is a bad clip and the sound is distorted..but even still, it made me literally sick to my stomach..So Damn Sad!!
I'm not all "doom and gloom", I'll even give 'em one for first night "jitters".... but I hope that his fellow band members seriously consider doing something to prevent this embarrassment from happening again. If it continues, we will not need to worry about ticket prices.

Holy hell, you peeps weren't exaggerating as usual, that really is pathetic. No jitters there, he is gooned. How the hell did he let himself get that drunk? Hopefully someone will keep an eye on him before shows from now on. That is really quite awful, Mr. Keith Richards.
6th June 2007 10:50 PM
sammy davis jr. Gee.... and a week ago I was getting slammed by some for saying that the Stones aren't doing themselves any good continuing the circus. It's painful to watch.
6th June 2007 10:58 PM
mojoman
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Holy hell, you peeps weren't exaggerating as usual, that really is pathetic. No jitters there, he is gooned. How the hell did he let himself get that drunk? Hopefully someone will keep an eye on him before shows from now on. That is really quite awful, Mr. Keith Richards.

the jury has reached a verdict
6th June 2007 11:26 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
mojoman wrote:

the jury has reached a verdict

The dude was shellacked. Pontooned. Fucking forecastled. You could have used his face to spiral cut frozen calamari. I think a mini-bar was involved.
6th June 2007 11:27 PM
mrhipfl In other news, Bill Wyman has invented his own signature metal detector!!
6th June 2007 11:39 PM
Zack Holy hell, that's all I can say! Keith said "The boys were nervous, I don't know why." I do, it's obvious.

Wanna Hold You, with him not touching the guitar, mumbling through the verses, reminded me of what the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd shows must have been like, with the other band members staring in horror and saying "what the hell are you doing?"

In Satisfaction, both Mick and Ronnie shoot glances of extreme alarm at Keith. I just hope somebody has the nerve to call him on it. I hope they at least make him listen to or watch the show and see how he disgraced himself.

Maybe HE did have first show jitters, which is why he overdid it. Like in Chicago when he knew it was going to be extremely cold. He was a mess there too.
6th June 2007 11:53 PM
pagey666.6 Watching the videos breaks my heart. I've been a hard core Stones fan for 25 years.....and this is painful. I think that if this is the way it's gonna be, someone needs to seriously think about calling it quits. If I had paid money for this show I would have been furious. It's especially painful being a huge Keith fan and seeing it come to this. Like someone said, if it was just the arthritis, you could probably excuse it, but since it seems to be self medication, there is no excuse. I wouldn't get up on stage in a club with my band in front of 100 people shitfaced, let alone a stadium show. It just shows that he doesn't give a fuck anymore. And if he doesn't, why should I? That to me, is the biggest insult of them all. Like someone said earlier; it's his fans that bought him the houses, the vintage guitars etc.....and he doesn't seem to think that it is important enough to repay by staying sober for a few hours a night to play for them. And at the prices they ask for tickets too. In the clip of Satisfaction, Mick seems to be furious and Keith seems to be yelling at Ronnie. Whatever or whoever was fucking up, it sounded horrid. The World's Greatest Rock And Roll band? Judging from what I saw, those days are gone.

Someone should sit them down and tell them that in the phrase "Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll", the Rock and Roll is the most important part. I guess as someone else said earlier, it's too big a business now to bail.

I was always more of a Keith fan than a Mick fan, but judging the past few years, Mick seems to be the one keeping it all together and now I understand completely why he would want to go solo and leave the Stones in the past. If he takes the touring seriously by training and getting into shape, it must infuriate him to see and hear what is happening around him. I've begun to appreciate Mick much much more than Keith in the past 10 years or so. Never thought that would happen!!!!!!

What a drag it is getting old................indeed.

Too bad it has to come to this.
7th June 2007 12:06 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Zack wrote:

In Satisfaction, both Mick and Ronnie shoot glances of extreme alarm at Keith.

I didn't catch that, but they both try to wake him up a couple of times. Its like he's wondering what the hell this thing is in his hands. He's just standing there.

I wonder if he accidently mixed booze with some prescription meds he's taking - there is no way an experienced drinker like Keith should be getting that shut down.
7th June 2007 12:10 AM
monkey_man
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I wonder if he accidently mixed booze with some prescription meds he's taking - there is no way an experienced drinker like Keith should be getting that shut down.

Bingo we have a winner here!!! What prizes do we have for Moonie tonight?
7th June 2007 01:50 AM
Moonisup Surprised the didn't play Wanna Hold you in Open G!
but it sounded horrible@
7th June 2007 02:30 AM
BONOISLOVE I like music!
7th June 2007 02:43 AM
pdog I've seen the Stones play Satisfaction, and never saw Keith stand in one spot for that long... Even with his back to the camera, you can hear his guitar, sadly, and see the looks everyone is giving him...
And when Moonie says you've drank too much, listen. Courtney Love told Whitney she needed to chill on the partying. You know you're fucked up...
Word!
7th June 2007 02:48 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
pdog wrote:
I've seen the Stones play Satisfaction, and never saw Keith stand in one spot for that long... Even with his back to the camera, you can hear his guitar, sadly, and see the looks everyone is giving him...
And when Moonie says you've drank too much, listen. Courtney Love told Whitney she needed to chill on the partying. You know you're fucked up...
Word!

Who is this Keith?? Keith López? My pool cleaner?
7th June 2007 03:03 AM
MikeyC613
quote:
pagey666.6 wrote:
I've begun to appreciate Mick much much more than Keith in the past 10 years or so. Never thought that would happen!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly. Keith is my goddamn HERO, as a guitar player, his greatest gift was the ability to RUN a band ONSTAGE. Mick has been running the band onstage since 2002, and it kills me to see Keith shrink away from the dominating musical personality he once possessed. Mick is holding it together best he can, but he can't keep the crowd pumped AND play the correct notes at the same time.

I do think that a bit of "Satisfaction" was Keith changing the guitar line up a little, a 5th, or octave, I'm not very technically informed, but it sounded like he was looking to change it up. Time was, Keith could do things like that. But today, he doesn't have the sense to tell the rest of the band what is going on, he just stares at Ronnie.

Can you IMAGINE being Daryll Jones on that cramped B-Stage with those egos flying around? I'd stare straight at the floor, or better yet, Charlie.

Also, Midnight Rambler in Charlottesville in 2005 was a total trainwreck, and Charlie looked furious by the end of it.

Keith, pick it up or pack it up
7th June 2007 03:09 AM
BONOISLOVE The pool seems filthy!!
7th June 2007 03:10 AM
FotiniD Keith's alcohol problem is nothing new. It's bound to bring more problems with time. He's not getting any younger for Christ's sakes.

And I don't think anyone can do something to solve HIS problem. He's the one that has to wake up and realize what's going on in his life. You can't convince an alcoholic to change, unless he wants to change. The bitter truth.

But taking ONE night - and in particular the opening night - using youtube videos as our basis and condemning a whole tour before it's even started... that's ridiculous, if you ask me. Wait it out. Give it some time.

It's a matter of knowing what our expectations are, and in 2007 we can't expect excellence 100% and at all times any longer. Sad? Sure! But true.
7th June 2007 03:23 AM
pdog
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Keith's alcohol problem is nothing new. It's bound to bring more problems with time. He's not getting any younger for Christ's sakes.

And I don't think anyone can do something to solve HIS problem. He's the one that has to wake up and realize what's going on in his life. You can't convince an alcoholic to change, unless he wants to change. The bitter truth.

But taking ONE night - and in particular the opening night - using youtube videos as our basis and condemning a whole tour before it's even started... that's ridiculous, if you ask me. Wait it out. Give it some time.

It's a matter of knowing what our expectations are, and in 2007 we can't expect excellence 100% and at all times any longer. Sad? Sure! But true.

Keiths self deception, will not be spotted by himself... If playing like crap, and falling and cracking your head open, isn't a wake up call, then what is?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)