ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Stade Gerland, Lyon 18th June 2007
© Jeep and Stalemate2006!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Where is the "Home" of the Blues? Return to archive
4th June 2007 02:55 PM
MidnightRambler A little discussion between me and a co-worker:

He says Texas as the official "home."

I say Chicago...but very much believe it's personally in this this order:

Memphis
Chicago
Mississippi
Texas

Which is it really? There's many ways to look at this:

Which city was blues born in?
Which city is commercially and publically known as the "Home of blues"?
Which city currently has an active live blues music community?

I'm gonna guess some people might say Mississippi as the home...but in my mind..although it might have originated there... today in 2007, if I wanted to go listen to great live blues...Mississippi would not jump to my mind. Chicago and Memphis would.

Thoughts, please!
4th June 2007 03:07 PM
gimmekeef Unfortunately its likely linked to where the first slaves were brought in....East coast like Virginia/Carolinas?....But as far as teh more modern era all those cities could lay claim I bet including New Orleans......
4th June 2007 03:09 PM
Honky Tonk Man As far as I'm aware, modern, electric blues started in Chicago, but in terms of the States as a whole, I think you'd have to look at the South. That is where the black slave trade thrived the most. Then again, if you see it that way, you may as well go all the way back to Africa.

4th June 2007 03:17 PM
Martha I thought my house was the home of the blues!
4th June 2007 03:32 PM
parmeda MR...I posted this link in a different thread, but tell your co-worker to take a look at this: www.downloadchicagotours.com/bluesmedia (and, you as well!)

Compare notes with him tomorrow

[Edited by parmeda]
4th June 2007 03:55 PM
mrhipfl I'd say the Mississippi Delta fo sho. But what do I know, I'm just a middle class white boy who lives in the suburbs.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
4th June 2007 08:00 PM
stonedinaustralia without trying to be cute i have heard it said the blues was born on the ship from which the sight of the west coast of africa was first seen diappearing in the eatsern horizon

from the its scottsdale mississippi (sp?).no?

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
4th June 2007 08:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
4th June 2007 09:05 PM
MrPleasant Where is the original International House of Pancakes?
4th June 2007 09:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Where is the original International House of Pancakes?

I don't give a fuck. The mice shit in my pancake mix. And I'm pissed.
4th June 2007 10:06 PM
Riffhard The true home of the blues is in the cotton fields of the Deep South. Most notably Georgia,Alabama,North and South Carolina,Virginia,Louisiana,and,certainly from the Mississippi Delta.

Any of this bullshit about Chicago being the home of the blues is pure unadulterated crap! While Chicago may arguably lay claim to the home the "electric blues" it certainly was not in Chi Town where the blues came into being. Chicago had one thing that the South could not offer to early blues artists. Namely money. Muddy moved to Chicago for the cash. Likewise so did Howlin' Wolf,and many others. They were all from the Deep South though.

Riffy
4th June 2007 10:10 PM
guitarman53 As Janis Joplin used to say, completely drunk as a skunk " the first time I heard the blues was the day I was Born"
4th June 2007 10:36 PM
Steel Wheels Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Home of the blues.
4th June 2007 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Louisiana
5th June 2007 04:18 AM
Zack Riffy's right:

The blues started in the fields when one guy chanted:

"Cotton's so heavy, I think I'm gonna die! Cotton's so heavy, I think I'm gonna die!"

And the guy next to him added "Show me that river, I'll drink it dry!"

5th June 2007 04:49 AM
Altamont Juno, Alaska.
5th June 2007 05:30 AM
EELPIE that shithole bar of Joeys in Omaha- the brazenhead
5th June 2007 10:28 AM
voodoopug
quote:
EELPIE wrote:
that shithole bar of Joeys in Omaha- the brazenhead

I visited Mr Toad:

5th June 2007 11:47 AM
polytoxic From Lee Dorsey's "Ride Your Pony":

We're gonna ride) way west where the grass is green
(Ride) California, you know what I mean
(Ride) New York City & Detroit too
(Ride) on to New Orleans, the home of the blues

From James Brown's NIght Train:

Baltimore, Maryland
Philadelphia
New York City
Take it home

And don't forget New Orleans
The home of the blues

I also believe New Orleans lays claim as the birthplace of jazz and as the murder capital of the U.S.A.
[Edited by polytoxic]
5th June 2007 11:49 AM
MidnightRambler See, but this is what I'm talking about. I feel there's a bit of a discrepency here, personally. Yes, I have no problem realizing that the blues came from the South. No doubt about it. But I feel I'd give the south the "origin" of the blues title.

Think of it this way...if a blues fan who absolutely loved blues came to you and said...take me to the home of the blues where i can enjoy some great live blues for 7 straight nights. You'd take them to Alabama? Mississippi? These cities still have an ACTIVE live blues community?? I haven't been there...but my gut tells me that it doesn't anymore. Blues may have been born there but it doesn't reside there--it moved away. It moved to so many other cities and flourished in there respected areas: Memphis, Chicago etc... Those places STILL have a buffet of blues clubs for you to attend to. Memphis still has Beale Street and Chicago still has gaggles of blues clubs that offer blues for any night of the week.

My personal view is that the Blues was born in the South/Delta and then moved away to other cities and then made a home for itself in Memphis where it currently still resides to this day. Chicago is like its second home.

5th June 2007 02:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot The home of the Blues...today?

Wherever The Rotten Belly Blues Band is playin'. Duh.

>Memphis still has Beale Street <

Yeah, and are you under the impression that there are still Blues clubs there? Well, if you count BB King's(and I don't) as a Blues club. Beale St. is a huge tourist trap. The BBQ is overpriced and average. The Blues are sanitized for your protection.

But honestly...it's the same in Chicago. I hit a few clubs while at a basketball game a few years back. I was not impressed. It was all slick and sanitized. Made for mass consumption. Buncha white guys showing off how many different notes that they could bend and sustain. It was bullshit.

I honestly don't know where you can hear real By-God Blues anymore. Even us Rotten Bellies do a white approximation of real Blues. I mean, we do a kickin' St. James Infirmary Blues...and sometimes our Death Letter is pretty good...but try as we might...it still sounds white.

Let's face facts here. Hip Hop killed real Blues. You see any black kids under the age of 25 out there playin' the Blues?

Yeah, me neither.
5th June 2007 07:57 PM
GhostofBrianJones The home of the "Blues" is St Louis Missouri.
6th June 2007 11:36 AM
cabledogg2 Ask Bill Wyman..........after all he wrote a book on it
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)