ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Church is Singing the Blues (the robert johnson, blues, that is) Return to archive
11th June 2004 12:36 PM
Jaxx I was in my CD store Twist and Shout the other night buying a Robert Johnson CD and ironically enough saw this bit in the news the very next morning.

Rocky Mountain News:

Some Church Goers sing blues over Johnson tour:

Some members of LIttle Zion Missionary Baptist church in Greenwood, Mississippi are upset that it has become a stop on a tour chronicling the life of bluesman Robert Johnson.

Robert Johnson

Johnson was buried in the church cemetery in 1938 after his death at 27 when he was poisoned by the husband of a woman with whom he was having an affair.

Sylvester Hoover a deacon at Little Zion said he opened a tour service that will charge $75 to take visitors to a number of Johnson sites, including where he is buried.

Arnnette Cleveland said she and other church members have told the Reverend Mcarthur Mckinley they don't like the idea of the church being part of the tour.

McKinley said he has no idea why some members disagree with the publicity the church receives from blues enthusiasts. "Its not like the man is going to get up out of his grave and come in the church,: he said. "if he does that, then i'll be the first one out of there."

11th June 2004 12:42 PM
jb Thanks Jaxx....very good read.
11th June 2004 12:46 PM
Jaxx i always knew robert johnson was a great bluesman, however i didn't realize he died so young and over a woman!
11th June 2004 12:51 PM
jb
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
i always knew robert johnson was a great bluesman, however i didn't realize he died so young and over a woman!

The say avarice is the root of all evil, yet some think women are equally treacherous.
[Edited by jb]
11th June 2004 01:05 PM
Jaxx
quote:
jb wrote:
The say avarice is the root of all evil, yet some think women are equally treacherous.

since you are somewhat of an expert on avarice, i would agree that it is not gender biased
11th June 2004 01:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:

No, it's the "love of money". LOL. Well maybe its the same thing. But I'm sure the present "Governor of Maine" understands. LOL. Or his Bosses. Power Drunk Assholes. LOL. Amusing.
11th June 2004 01:25 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

No, it's the "love of money". LOL. Well maybe its the same thing. But I'm sure the present "Governor of Maine" understands. LOL. Or his Bosses. Power Drunk Assholes. LOL. Amusing.

I took a course in college called 'Human Sexuality"..the Profs. assistant was doing his thesis on the Delta Mississipi Blues and I must admit when he read it to the class it was boring as hell...lol(true story).