ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Last Night's Birmingham WHO Gig set list ( NSC ) Return to archive
8th June 2004 09:39 AM
Joey
Hello My Stones Brothers and Sisters ................

Whilst waiting for Gazza's review of last evening's Birmingham , NIA WHO Concert , I thought I would update you all on the set list :

" Birmingham NIA June 7 2004 "

" I Can't Explain
Substitute
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
Punk And The Godfather
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Drowned
Naked Eye
Real Good Looking Boy
You Better You Bet
My Generation / Old Red Wine
Won't Get Fooled Again

Encore
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey / Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Listening To You

Encore 2
Magic Bus "

Looks Good !!!!!! Here's hoping for more than just the four scheduled U.S. dates .

Developing ....................................

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jercee !

8th June 2004 09:42 AM
Some Guy Now that's nostalgia!
8th June 2004 09:57 AM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Now that's nostalgia!

Hi , Some Guy ..........................

Did you see Patti Davis at the Reagan Viewing Ceremony yesterday ?!?!?!?!

WHAT A PIECE OF ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burcee !
8th June 2004 10:24 AM
Some Guy No, I missed that.
The new "Van Halen" "song" sux so bad it makes my nuts ache. It is an absolute shame what they have done to their legacy. God bless them Stones!
J Lo has a phat ass!
8th June 2004 12:19 PM
Gazza Just got home.

In short - One of the best shows I've ever seen. Fantastic. Will post more later

[Edited by Gazza]
8th June 2004 12:25 PM
jb Thanks Gazza!!! You made Joey's day!!!
8th June 2004 12:36 PM
Martha Look forward to hearing all about it Gary!

I'm so jealous, yet so happy for you!
:-)
8th June 2004 04:28 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Just got home.

In short - One of the best shows I've ever seen. Fantastic. Will post more later

[Edited by Gazza]

You make Joey all moist & giddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*************** END TRANSMISSION ***************

Jercee
8th June 2004 04:29 PM
Joey
quote:
Martha wrote:
Look forward to hearing all about it Gary!

I'm so jealous, yet so happy for you!
:-)

Hi Martha .....................................

Think we will see THE WHO this fall ?!?!?!?!

It is NOT looking good .......
8th June 2004 06:07 PM
Gazza It's odd but although the Who have always been one of my favourite three or four bands, prior to last night I'd only ever seen them once - and that was the all-star "Quadrophenia" performance at Hyde Park in '96 for the Princes Trust, on a bill that also included Clapton and Dylan.

Since then, they've always seemed to tour at the wrong time for me, or I hadn't know about it - plus for some as yet inexcusable reason the last time they played a show in Ireland was around 1966. They've threatened to come over here a few times since, but it's never happened. Oh, I forgot. I went to a taping of a Chieftains TV special a few years back in Belfast simply because Daltrey and Charlie Watts were billed to appear. In the end, Charlie didnt (still dont know why) but Roger did and sang a gorgeous version of "Behind Blue Eyes".

So, thats the background and why I was REALLY looking forward to this one. I've been a bit unsure in the last couple of years about whether Roger's voice is still up to the job, but going by the performances from the recent London & US shows that theyve made available on their official site, I figured it was worth the risk.

Didnt get great seats, so was hoping for either getting an upgrade off a ticket tout at a reasonable price and/or there being video screens inside the vast 13,000 seater venue. I've never bought black market tickets in my life and there werent too many guys selling them either but I got offered a pair in the 7th row for face value an hour before showtime. Threw in my existing pair and they were mine for �50. I thought, fuck it, if I'm coming all this way I may as well get good seats. So all told it worked out as �60 for a 7th row seat, near the centre and on Pete's side. excellent. Just as well. Unlike the recent US shows, they didnt use any video screens.

After a set by the opening act Kasabian, the lights went down at 8.40 and on they came. No fanfare, no fuss. Pete, looking cool as fuck in jeans, white t-shirt and wraparound shades raises the right arm and down it comes again like a whiplash - Bam! Bam - bam! Bam ! Bam-bam! - and they're off and running into "I Cant Explain". It's wonderful. Roger's voice sounds fine to me, Pete is playin' like a man possessed and the whole band sounds great..And its LOUD, just the way you always imagine a Who concert should be.

The four guys onstage with them dont get in the way and all contribute well. Townshend's brother looks like Moby, from where I'm sitting. Zak Starkey is still as excellent as ever. Pino has a hard act to follow - as Townshend acknowledges during the band intros - but he's solid as a rock and the ovation he gets show that the crowd appreciate it.

After a great triple punch for openers of really early stuff, Roger puts on an acoustic and they swing into "Who are You".

the first notes of "Baba O'Riley" - probably my favourite Who song of all, and this will be for me the first real test of Roger's voice. He nails it. He's singing in a vocal range that suits him but it works just fine.

Three follow from "Quadrophenia". Punk and The Godfather is plain nasty and dangerous. I've never cared for "5.15" live as I think the horns make the song, but they did it pretty well before Pete goes off and plays this amazing guitar solo. When I hear Rabbit tinkle the opening notes of another personal fave of mine, "Love reign o'er me", I think to myself "Fuck, Roger MUST really fancy it tonight if hes prepared to give his voice a crack at this one". Its marvellous and his screaming over the last chorus has the crowd, who have been standing anyway for the whole show, giving him a great ovation.

A few witicisms from Pete about the plot of "Quadrophenia". He says he's still waiting for a 'proper' ending to come to him. Maybe he'll rewrite someday with "Jimmy" getting on a train at the end like he does on "5.15". Roger pipes up with a dig at Britain's transport system by pointing out that if he tried THAT idea 30 years on, he'd be waiting forever on a train.

Pete's solo acoustic "Drowned" was very good and then Roger comes back for a duet of "Naked eye" (Roger on acoustic, Pete on electric). Pete precedes "Real Good Lookin Boy" with a moving speech thanking everyone - and especially Roger - for their support with all his problems last year when he said he was finding it difficult to face each coming day.

"My Generation" is played at 100 miles an hour and Pete goes off into another breathtaking solo which is only broken by a few bars of "Old Red Wine". "Wont get Fooled Again" defies description. I've never heard it played better and the words spat out with more venom and THAT scream at the end was as powerful as ever.

Back they come for a half hour encore of songs from "Tommy". I personally think its a strange choice as an encore, especially the fact that so much of it is instrumental, but it probably produces what is the best guitar soloing of the night. The old bastard is showing off like mad, all "look at me" poses and whirling arms. When they go off after "See me feel me/Listening to you" you can see Pete make a gesture to Roger as if to say "yeah, theyve earned another one.." and after a few minutes with the crowd JUST starting to get up to go, they come back for a singalong of "Magic Bus".

All in all, a wonderful show. They played for 130 minutes, the band was as tight as a gnat's arse and it was great to see and hear Roger back on top form. If thats a "shot" voice,I'll have two like it, please.

As for Pete....what can I say....he has the energy of a 20 year old, and his playing just had to be seen and heard to be believed. The greatest rock guitarist alive? On this form - you better, you bet.

[Edited by Gazza]
9th June 2004 05:50 AM
Jumping Jack Very nice review!

Pete is still the best in the business and playing rock and roll as it was meant to be played, loud, in your face and kicking ass! I can't imagine Pete ever being drowned out by a stinking piano.

Tour the States boys!
9th June 2004 08:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man Great review Gazza.

I was thrilled with the Who gig I saw in London. I was impressed with the way they just stormed on stage and got down to business. No arsing about, they just knuckled down and put on a great show.

I honestly think Townsend is as good, if not better than he was 30 + years ago

Alex
9th June 2004 08:19 AM
UGot2Rollme great review, Gazza.

It's been awhile since I've seen them, but
good to hear that the Kids are (still) Allright!
9th June 2004 08:28 AM
justinkurian Great review Gazza,

I saw them in New York two weeks ago and your review brought back some great memories. I couldn't have said it better!

I hope you're going to buy the official boot...I hear they sound better than the ones from the '02 tour.
9th June 2004 08:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah, great review, I believe you!.....at least SOMETHING is right with the world.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
9th June 2004 09:52 AM
Gazza >I hope you're going to buy the official boot...I hear they sound better than the ones from the '02 tour.

ordered it 3 weeks ago!!
9th June 2004 10:09 AM
Jumping Jack Anyone have the link for getting the official boot?
9th June 2004 10:11 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It's odd but although the Who have always been one of my favourite three or four bands, prior to last night I'd only ever seen them once - and that was the all-star "Quadrophenia" performance at Hyde Park in '96 for the Princes Trust, on a bill that also included Clapton and Dylan.

Since then, they've always seemed to tour at the wrong time for me, or I hadn't know about it - plus for some as yet inexcusable reason the last time they played a show in Ireland was around 1966. They've threatened to come over here a few times since, but it's never happened. Oh, I forgot. I went to a taping of a Chieftains TV special a few years back in Belfast simply because Daltrey and Charlie Watts were billed to appear. In the end, Charlie didnt (still dont know why) but Roger did and sang a gorgeous version of "Behind Blue Eyes".

So, thats the background and why I was REALLY looking forward to this one. I've been a bit unsure in the last couple of years about whether Roger's voice is still up to the job, but going by the performances from the recent London & US shows that theyve made available on their official site, I figured it was worth the risk.

Didnt get great seats, so was hoping for either getting an upgrade off a ticket tout at a reasonable price and/or there being video screens inside the vast 13,000 seater venue. I've never bought black market tickets in my life and there werent too many guys selling them either but I got offered a pair in the 7th row for face value an hour before showtime. Threw in my existing pair and they were mine for �50. I thought, fuck it, if I'm coming all this way I may as well get good seats. So all told it worked out as �60 for a 7th row seat, near the centre and on Pete's side. excellent. Just as well. Unlike the recent US shows, they didnt use any video screens.

After a set by the opening act Kasabian, the lights went down at 8.40 and on they came. No fanfare, no fuss. Pete, looking cool as fuck in jeans, white t-shirt and wraparound shades raises the right arm and down it comes again like a whiplash - Bam! Bam - bam! Bam ! Bam-bam! - and they're off and running into "I Cant Explain". It's wonderful. Roger's voice sounds fine to me, Pete is playin' like a man possessed and the whole band sounds great..And its LOUD, just the way you always imagine a Who concert should be.

The four guys onstage with them dont get in the way and all contribute well. Townshend's brother looks like Moby, from where I'm sitting. Zak Starkey is still as excellent as ever. Pino has a hard act to follow - as Townshend acknowledges during the band intros - but he's solid as a rock and the ovation he gets show that the crowd appreciate it.

After a great triple punch for openers of really early stuff, Roger puts on an acoustic and they swing into "Who are You".

the first notes of "Baba O'Riley" - probably my favourite Who song of all, and this will be for me the first real test of Roger's voice. He nails it. He's singing in a vocal range that suits him but it works just fine.

Three follow from "Quadrophenia". Punk and The Godfather is plain nasty and dangerous. I've never cared for "5.15" live as I think the horns make the song, but they did it pretty well before Pete goes off and plays this amazing guitar solo. When I hear Rabbit tinkle the opening notes of another personal fave of mine, "Love reign o'er me", I think to myself "Fuck, Roger MUST really fancy it tonight if hes prepared to give his voice a crack at this one". Its marvellous and his screaming over the last chorus has the crowd, who have been standing anyway for the whole show, giving him a great ovation.

A few witicisms from Pete about the plot of "Quadrophenia". He says he's still waiting for a 'proper' ending to come to him. Maybe he'll rewrite someday with "Jimmy" getting on a train at the end like he does on "5.15". Roger pipes up with a dig at Britain's transport system by pointing out that if he tried THAT idea 30 years on, he'd be waiting forever on a train.

Pete's solo acoustic "Drowned" was very good and then Roger comes back for a duet of "Naked eye" (Roger on acoustic, Pete on electric). Pete precedes "Real Good Lookin Boy" with a moving speech thanking everyone - and especially Roger - for their support with all his problems last year when he said he was finding it difficult to face each coming day.

"My Generation" is played at 100 miles an hour and Pete goes off into another breathtaking solo which is only broken by a few bars of "Old Red Wine". "Wont get Fooled Again" defies description. I've never heard it played better and the words spat out with more venom and THAT scream at the end was as powerful as ever.

Back they come for a half hour encore of songs from "Tommy". I personally think its a strange choice as an encore, especially the fact that so much of it is instrumental, but it probably produces what is the best guitar soloing of the night. The old bastard is showing off like mad, all "look at me" poses and whirling arms. When they go off after "See me feel me/Listening to you" you can see Pete make a gesture to Roger as if to say "yeah, theyve earned another one.." and after a few minutes with the crowd JUST starting to get up to go, they come back for a singalong of "Magic Bus".

All in all, a wonderful show. They played for 130 minutes, the band was as tight as a gnat's arse and it was great to see and hear Roger back on top form. If thats a "shot" voice,I'll have two like it, please.

As for Pete....what can I say....he has the energy of a 20 year old, and his playing just had to be seen and heard to be believed. The greatest rock guitarist alive? On this form - you better, you bet.

[Edited by Gazza]

Fantastic Review Gazza ..................................

I am so glad that you enjoyed the Performance . I hope they will come back to the states in September .

BEST WHO YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" As for Pete....what can I say....he has the energy of a 20 year old, and his playing just had to be seen and heard to be believed. The greatest rock guitarist alive? On this form - you better, you bet "

I would like to caress your kneecaps !!!!

Jacky !
9th June 2004 10:15 AM
Gazza >Anyone have the link for getting the official boot?

http://www.themusic.com/encore/thewho2/
9th June 2004 12:35 PM
sirmoonie Awesome review! Holy moly!

The WHO!
9th June 2004 12:44 PM
jb Let's not go overboard....
9th June 2004 01:07 PM
justinkurian JB,

Do you like the Who? Or do you have a hatred for them like the Beatles?
9th June 2004 01:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Let's not go overboard....

Why not? If Roger and Pete can still deliver, why not?
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
9th June 2004 01:22 PM
MRD8 Gazza,
Yourgreat review inspired me to hunt up the Quad CD's and listen to them for the first time in a while...great to hear them again! I've got a DVD comming of the March 29th show at RAH...apparently they synced the video with the soundboard from the Encore series...I'll send you a copy as soon as it gets here. They are doing the same thing with the recent MSG DVD...
9th June 2004 02:54 PM
Joey
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Gazza,
Yourgreat review inspired me to hunt up the Quad CD's and listen to them for the first time in a while...great to hear them again! I've got a DVD comming of the March 29th show at RAH...apparently they synced the video with the soundboard from the Encore series...I'll send you a copy as soon as it gets here. They are doing the same thing with the recent MSG DVD...

Bob ....................................

You Have a PM !!!!!!

Joey
9th June 2004 03:42 PM
Gazza >Let's not go overboard....

On the contrary, LET'S....

I've seen enough shows to know a great show when I see one, and on Monday night I did indeed see and hear a killer of a performance.

Thanks for the offer, Mr D. - look forward to it.

Should have the official soundboard of the "Brum" show in a couple of weeks myself - I'll send it on.
9th June 2004 03:45 PM
jb
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
JB,

Do you like the Who? Or do you have a hatred for them like the Beatles?

LOVE THE WHO, BUT LETS NOT LOSE PERSPECTIVE-THEY'RE NO ROLLING STONES
9th June 2004 03:58 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
LOVE THE WHO, BUT LETS NOT LOSE PERSPECTIVE-THEY'RE NO ROLLING STONES

YOU MAKE JOEY CRY LIKE BABY ! WHY ?!?!

9th June 2004 04:03 PM
jb I love the beginning to "Rain on me"....
9th June 2004 04:07 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I love the beginning to "Rain on me"....