ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Flamenco / Classical guitar (nsc) Return to archive
4th June 2004 05:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Just curious as to how many posters here listen to this stuff once inawhile. Also any recommendations would be appreciated.
4th June 2004 05:27 PM
Bloozehound Late at night while channel surfing, if can't find Roger Daltrey hawkin classic rock cd collections, in his place I can usually count on finding the mysterious & debonair ESTEBAN "master of classical guitar" hawkin his expertly handcrafted & designed guitar plus how-to-play classical guitar videos for this special one time offer of $99.99.

You too can become master of classical guitar just like ESTEBAN once you order his limited edition beautifully handcrafted guitar and video set. This offer is so spectacular it's not offered in any stores and will only be offered if you call within the next 30 minutes. It's such a bargain, it's just like ESTEBAN is giving them away...
4th June 2004 05:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Nice...but irrelevant.
4th June 2004 06:12 PM
caro Cool, a thread for me...
I don't have many recommendations -- you probably know all that stuff better than me. But there's a great soundtrack to a film by Tony Gatlif : "Vengo". I love that one, although not all of it is good. There's songs by Tomatito, la Caita, Gritos de Guerra, la Paquera de Jerez and some more. The best is one track by Tomatito & Sheikh al Tuni, a mix between flamenco and soufi song. I'm usually a bit wary of that kind of mix, but parts of that track are really haunting. If I knew how to convert that stuff to mp3, I'd send you a clip... Anyway, I'll see if maybe it's available on the net.
Another (not very original) favorite of mine is Paco de Lucia's "One sumer night". And Vicente Amigo, too.

[Edited by caro]
4th June 2004 11:02 PM
Water Dragon Have you heard 'Mambo Sinuendo' by Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban?
5th June 2004 05:49 AM
caro I've only listened to it in record stores & liked it a lot, although it seemed a bit repetitive. Would you recommend it?
5th June 2004 08:10 AM
Water Dragon Good Morning caro...I assume you are speaking to me? No?

I am willing to purchase anything that is either a Ry Cooder or a Taj Mahal musical production, unheard. They are both such masters of guitar that there will be at least one, and ususally several gems of virtuosity displayed for my pleasure. Unfortunately, especially with Taj, the accompanying players are not always credited, nor are they always up to his level of play. Ry has allowed his son to play drums on several of his Cuban based recordings...I don't know if that is a visa thing, because of the USA/CUBA government stand-off, or simple paternal pride. I wish it would stop.

BTW, I do believe that Taj is touring Europe now...catch him ifyou can - he is a very charismatic performer in person!

Ciao!

5th June 2004 11:38 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
Have you heard 'Mambo Sinuendo' by Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban?

"Mambo Sinuedo" is a great album.

Taj did an album called Kulanjan with african musicians, sorta similar idea, not as jazzy, great album as well.
7th June 2004 07:34 AM
caro
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
Good Morning caro...I assume you are speaking to me? No?

Yes I was
About Ry Cooder -- I borrowed two albums from the eighties (I think) : "Bop till you drop" and "Borderline" and didn't get into them at all... Maybe it's because of that early 80's sound. You got any favorite RC album?

Back to flamenco : did anyone know that 'Las Ketchup' were the daughters of Tomatito? That floored me!
7th June 2004 04:05 PM
Bloozehound I thought of one for ya TTM...Django Reinhardt, maybe this is what you're looking for.

Esteban might not be a bad place to start either.

Caro, I'm not sure exactly what you like, but you might wanna check out Ry Cooder's earlier stuff, "Paradise and Lunch" & "Chicken Skin Music" are pretty good albums to start with.

"Bop till you drop" kinda sux, I do like his version of "little sister" on it though. Dunno about "Borderline", I've never heard it.

In fact, I noticed the other day that the BMG music club has both those albums I recommended in stock now. Good way to pick of new music fairly cheap if you do their "12 cd's for price of 1 deal"
7th June 2004 05:45 PM
jpenn11 I don't listen to flamenco generally, but one album I've really enjoyed listening to is A Night in San Francisco, an album of mostly live acoustic guitar by John MacLaughlin, Al DiMeola and Paco DiLucia, a noted flamenco guitarist. They generally do what I think is "modern jazz", but Paco does much "flamenco-type" playing (to my ears) in the works he performs on.

(Besides the interplay of guitars, I think the three were brought together because each can play with incredible speed. I generally don't care about speed-for-speeds' sake, but the performance here is very impressive, especially the way JM and PD can convey alot more than just speed and technique.)

8th June 2004 11:43 PM
Water Dragon Greetings & Salutation!

I hope that TTM will pardon me as this has absolutely nothing to do with flamenco; but if you want to hear some brilliant guitar & piano playing, try picking up Jazz at the Bistro. It is a little difficult to adjust to hearing just these 2 instruments, w/out a bass or drum, but IMHO, Benny Green & Russell Malone do a superb job of making you forget there are only two instruments being played. A few of the selections leave me cold...

I noticed that there was a thread on Memphis Minnie on the board, if you would like to hear someone who was influenced by her guitar playing, try Sister Rosetta Tharpe, (who supposedly had influence on T-Bone Walker.) He, of course, had tremendous influence on Jimi Hendrix' style & flash!

Caro, I will have to go rummage through some of my vinyl sides for the early Ry Cooder. I saw him twice back in the '70's; he put on a great show, from what I can recall, LOL! I know I always enjoyed, "Into the Purple Valley" and the self-titled one, "Ry Cooder." If you want to hear a guitar player who had speed, style, and soul, try Roy Buchanan with Delbert McClinton in "Dancing on the Edge." He hung himself not too many years after its release. I'm sure you are aware of his RS connection

I am going to try to yank some information out of my brother who went to the Crossroads Music Festival this past weekend. Any juicy tidbits I shall of course pass on!

Regards,
9th June 2004 05:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
I hope that TTM will pardon me as this has absolutely nothing to do with flamenco;

Not a problem, no pardon necessary.
9th June 2004 10:28 AM
Water Dragon Ahh, thanks for the information, glad to know that "any way the wind blows, its a fine with me..." Our Main Man - FZ
9th June 2004 10:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
"any way the wind blows, its a fine with me..."

Well within reason..LOL... as long as Bloozehound doesn't spam the Brian thread with Don Henley pix, we'll be ok.
9th June 2004 12:39 PM
ResidentMule jpenn11 said it with 2 words: Paco DiLucia
9th June 2004 12:46 PM
jb
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
jpenn11 said it with 2 words: Paco DiLucia

9th June 2004 03:04 PM
Water Dragon
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well within reason..LOL... as long as Bloozehound doesn't spam the Brian thread with Don Henley pix, we'll be ok.

9th June 2004 04:29 PM
Water Dragon
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
I am going to try to yank some information out of my brother who went to the Crossroads Music Festival this past weekend. Any juicy tidbits I shall of course pass on!

Regards,

As per my earlier post, here's my brother's review:

Subject: CROSSROADS GUITAR FESTIVAL(June4-7,2004) - The way it was according to "JOHN"

Best of Show - The Sunday evening impromptu jam with B. B. King, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughn, John Mayer and ERIC.

A real close 2nd - The Sunday evening finale with ZZ Top, Jeff Beck and ERIC.

The best guitar clinic - Slide guitar clinic with Luther Tatum. He brought Robert Johnson's family (yeah, that Robert Johnson) up on stage with him at the end of his clinic and discussed how the fight to get his family the royalties due him had lasted for over 25 years and had finally been respectfully resolved. He also paid respect to the hottest young slide guitar player at the festival (Robert Randolph) and man when Robert came on Saturday night, he was all that AND a bag of chips.

2nd best clinic - a old fashion guitar pull with Buck Page (original Riders of the Purple Sage), Sonny Curtis (The Crickets-remember Buddy Holly and the...), Ramblin Jack Elliot-the man behind Woody Gutherie and Norm Stephens (touring with Merle Haggard at present).

The best band - Carlos Santana's group - not only were they LOUD, but those fuckers could rock. Politics aside, he didn't do a single oldie until Eric came out to jam with him on his last number and I can't even remember what that was but, they were loud, fast and bee-u-t-ful

2nd best band- Booker T and the MGs. They did their own gig and then backed Bo Didley, Joe Walsh and David Hildalgo on each of their sets. KICK-ASS

Outstanding performances by pickers I wasn't familiar with: 6/5-Johnny Lang, Dan Tyminski, Doyle Bramhall II; 6/6- Larry Carlton, John McLaughlin, Hubert Sumlin w/ guest vocalist David Johansen.

There was a performance by Vishwa Mohan Bhatt (38 string homemade guitar) that was as forgettable as anything I have ever heard Ravi Shankar try to pass off as music but, I have little appreciation for the finer things I suppose. Fortunately his performance came between James Taylor and Buddy Guy so I was able to get out of the Cotton Bowl for a couple of $3.00 DISANI's. I'm sure it was for a good cause back in Antigua.

I'll conclude by saying that J.J. Cale may be old but he can still rock the house.

9th June 2004 04:41 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
As per my earlier post, here's my brother's review:

Subject: CROSSROADS GUITAR FESTIVAL(June4-7,2004) - The way it was according to "JOHN"

Best of Show - The Sunday evening impromptu jam with B. B. King, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughn, John Mayer and ERIC.

A real close 2nd - The Sunday evening finale with ZZ Top, Jeff Beck and ERIC.

What a line up of guitar slingers. I'm a fan of everyone of the guys involved. Really wish I could of gone. This "best of show" you mention sounds awesome - BB, Buddy, Jimmie, John Mayer and ERIC, bet it was amazing.

Wonder if they'll release anything on this festivel on DVD or cd ?

quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
I'll conclude by saying that J.J. Cale may be old but he can still rock the house.

Werd! Love JJ, he's too fukkin' cool man.
10th June 2004 07:11 PM
Bloozehound

EC & JJ Cale at the Crossroads Guitar Festival last weekend in Dallas, Tx.
[Edited by Bloozehound]