ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: In Memory Of Return to archive
31st May 2004 08:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Tom Fogerty

Ron MeKernan

Bobby Fuller

Lonesome Dave

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
31st May 2004 09:22 AM
beer Wrong Fogerty. John aint dead.
31st May 2004 09:24 AM
beer ...That's Tom.
31st May 2004 09:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
beer wrote:
...That's Tom.

Thanks for pointing out the error...change made.

Paul Butterfield

Mike Bloomfield

Bon Scott

Johnny Horton

31st May 2004 10:50 AM
BILL PERKS DID JOHN CARE WHEN TOM DIED?
31st May 2004 11:20 AM
Gimme Shelter Brian Jones
Ian Stewart
Jimi Hendrix
Keith Moon
John Entwhistle
George Harrison
John Lennon
Jim Morrison
Janis Joplin

31st May 2004 11:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Randy Jo Hobbs (second from left)

31st May 2004 11:35 AM
Riffhard How about what this day is truly about here guys?!?!?

The millions KIA in the Civil War?

The tens of thousands of American troops KIA in WWI?

Here's to over 400,000 dead Americans who died during WWII?

The tens of thousands KIA in Korea?

How about the 58,000 KIA in Veitnam?

The troops killed in the first Gulf War?

The nearly eight hundred that have since died in Iraq?

Don't get me wrong. I hate to see those names from rock stars that have since left this mortal coil,however,today is about the true heros. The ones who truly sacrificed all. Many of those names you listed TTM died because of self inflicted OD's and sheer stupidity. That does not make them heros in my eys. That just makes them dead.

I personaly thank every veteran that has served in the armed forces. I think that we should all keep things in perspective here. If that sounds corny or nationalistic then so be it.

Riffhard

31st May 2004 11:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
those names from rock stars that have since left this mortal coil,however,today is about the true heros. The ones who truly sacrificed all. Many of those names you listed TTM died because of self inflicted OD's and sheer stupidity. That does not make them heros in my eys. That just makes them dead.

I personaly thank every veteran that has served in the armed forces. I think that we should all keep things in perspective here. If that sounds corny or nationalistic then so be it.
Riffhard

Well...Riffhard. I wasn't aware that Memorial Day was strictly for the military. We do have Veterans Day. We always put flowers out on all our families graves. But I take your point and don't think you sound corny at all. I also wasn't aware that Memorial Day was just for heros. True...that alot of these guys died from od. But a memory once in awhile doesn't hurt.

31st May 2004 11:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Audie Murphy

31st May 2004 11:57 AM
Riffhard Oh I agree with you there TTM. I do reflect about some of the R&R icons that left way too early. I certainly was not trying to come down on you,and I take your meaning with this thread. The last thing I want to do is be accused of highjacking a thread here. Memorial Day was originally declared to honor the war dead of the Civil War. In fact the South would not honor Memorial Day for years until the South's fallen were included in the memorial by the White House in the late 1880's. It has since come to memoralize all of America's fallen soldiers since,but has also become a day of saying thanks to the living vets as well. So,again,to all the vets here at RO,thanks!

Riffhard
31st May 2004 12:01 PM
LadyJane Well said, Riffhard.

Veterans who gave the ULTIMATE sacrifice deserve our utmost thanks and respect today as do all who served our Country.

Special prayers to those who are in Iraq and Afghanistan. Glad to know we have brave men and women who VOLUNTEER to keep us safe.

LJ.
31st May 2004 12:47 PM
Tom Wait until the war is over
And we're both a little older
The unknown soldier

Breakfast where the news is read
Television children fed
Unborn living, living, dead
Bullet strikes the helmet's head

And it's all over
For the unknown soldier
It's all over
For the unknown soldier

Hut
Hut
Hut ho hee up
Hut
Hut
Hut ho hee up
Hut
Hut
Hut ho hee up
Comp'nee
Halt
Preeee-zent!
Arms!

Make a grave for the unknown soldier
Nestled in your hollow shoulder
The unknown soldier

Breakfast where the news is read
Television children fed
Bullet strikes the helmet's head

And, it's all over
The war is over
It's all over
The war is over
Well, all over, baby
All over, baby
Oh, over, yeah
All over, baby
Wooooo, hah-hah
All over
All over, baby
Oh, woa-yeah
All over
All over
Heeeeyyyy

More from artist :
Doors, The

More from album :
Waiting for the Sun

31st May 2004 05:03 PM
F505 Please don't mention Freddie Mercury
31st May 2004 05:35 PM
Funky Punk Woman I'm not going to mention Freddy because he is not a soldier but he was one of the best rock singers and composers did you see him performing live on stage? Probably the second after Mick Jagger
1st June 2004 12:04 AM
BILL PERKS FREDDY WAS A SOLDIER IN THE COLON COWBOYS
1st June 2004 05:54 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Funky Punk Woman wrote:
Probably the second after Mick Jagger

And some say, even better (amongst them, me, about a decade ago, when I was strong in my Queen era ). Really strong frontman and PERFECT vocal chords guys - I don't think it gets any better.
1st June 2004 07:11 AM
magicwoman
John Bonham (led zeppelin)
5th June 2004 07:24 PM
mac_daddy

Former President Ronald Reagan Dies at 93
By JEFF WILSON and TERENCE HUNT

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ronald Reagan, the cheerful crusader who devoted his presidency to winning the Cold War, trying to scale back government and making people believe it was "morning again in America," died Saturday after a long twilight struggle with Alzheimer's disease.

"My family and I would like the world to know that President Ronald Reagan has passed away after 10 years of Alzheimer's disease at 93 years of age. We appreciate everyone's prayers," Nancy Reagan said in a statement.

Nancy Reagan, along with children Ron and Patti Davis, were at the couple's Los Angeles home when Reagan died at 1 p.m. PDT of pneumonia complicated by Alzheimer's disease, said Joanne Drake, who represents the family. Son Michael arrived a short time later, she said.

In Paris, President Bush called Reagan's death "a sad day for America." The U.S. flag over the White House was lowered to half-staff.

Five years after leaving office, the nation's 40th president told the world in November 1994 that he had been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer's, an incurable illness that destroys brain cells. He said he had begun "the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life."

Reagan's body was expected to be taken to his presidential library and museum in Simi Valley, Calif., and then flown to Washington to lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda. His funeral was expected to be at the National Cathedral, an event likely to draw world leaders. The body was to be returned to California for a sunset burial at his library.

Over two terms, from 1981 to 1989, Reagan reshaped the Republican Party in his conservative image, fixed his eye on the demise of the Soviet Union and Eastern European communism and tripled the national debt to $3 trillion in his singleminded competition with the other superpower.

"Ronald Reagan had a higher claim than any other leader to have won the Cold War for liberty and he did it without a shot being fired," former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher said Saturday.

Taking office at age 69, Reagan had already lived a career outside Washington, one that spanned work as a radio sports announcer, an actor, a television performer, a spokesman for the General Electric Co., and a two-term governor of California.

At the time of his retirement, his very name suggested a populist brand of conservative politics that still inspires the Republican Party.

He declared at the outset, "Government is not the solution, it's the problem," although reducing that government proved harder to do in reality than in his rhetoric.

Even so, he challenged the status quo on welfare and other programs that had put government on a growth spurt ever since Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal strengthened the federal presence in the lives of average Americans.

In foreign affairs, he built the arsenals of war while seeking and achieving arms control agreements with the Soviet Union.

In his second term, Reagan was dogged by revelations that he authorized secret arms sales to Iran while seeking Iranian aid to gain release of American hostages held in Lebanon. Some of the money was used to aid rebels fighting the leftist government of Nicaragua.

Despite the ensuing investigations, he left office in 1989 with the highest popularity rating of any retiring president in the history of modern-day public opinion polls.

That reflected, in part, his uncommon ability as a communicator and his way of connecting with ordinary Americans, even as his policies infuriated the left and as his simple verities made him the butt of jokes. "Morning again in America" became his re-election campaign mantra in 1984, but typified his appeal to patriotrism through both terms.

Reagan lived longer than any U.S. president, spending his last decade in the shrouded seclusion wrought by his disease, tended by his wife, Nancy, whom he called Mommy, and the select few closest to him. Now, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton are the surviving ex-presidents.

From his home in Rancho Mirage, Calif., Ford said, "Ronald Reagan was an excellent leader of our nation during challenging times at home and abroad. We extend our deepest condolences and prayers to Nancy and his family."

Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry said that Reagan's "love of country was infectious. Even when he was breaking Democrats hearts, he did so with a smile and in the spirit of honest and open debate."

Although she was fiercely protective of Reagan's privacy, Nancy Reagan let people know the former president's mental condition had deteriorated terribly. Last month, she said: "Ronnie's long journey has finally taken him to a distant place where I can no longer reach him."

At 69, Reagan was the oldest man ever elected president when he was chosen in 1980, by an unexpectedly large margin over the incumbent Carter.

Near-tragedy struck on his 70th day as president. On March 30, 1981, Reagan was leaving a Washington hotel after addressing labor leaders when a young drifter, John Hinckley, fired six shots at him. A bullet lodged an inch from Reagan's heart, but he recovered.

Four years later he was re-elected by an even greater margin, carrying 49 of the 50 states in defeating Democrat Walter F. Mondale, Carter's vice president.

Reagan's oldest daughter, Maureen, from his first marriage, died in August 2001 at age 60 from cancer. Three other children survive: Michael, from his first marriage, and Patti Davis and Ron from his second.

article
5th June 2004 09:35 PM
PolkSalad http://reagan.eureka.edu/beyond/actor.html

I coulda gone there. They gave me a scholarship.
6th June 2004 11:20 AM
egon reagan dead, creed split up;
oh boy, it's been a hell of a week!
6th June 2004 11:39 AM
Water Dragon Egon said: "reagan dead, creed split up;
oh boy, it's been a hell of a week!"

You ARE a Scorpio - LOL!
7th June 2004 12:03 AM
Sir Stonesalot Funny, I live about 20 minutes from the (disputed) "birthplace of Memorial Day", Boalsburg PA.

I think Memorial Day oughta be for remembering whomever you wanna remember.

I wore my "Out The Door In '84-Dump Reagan" button all day today. In fact, I may wear it for the next week or so.

"I can't recall, Ronnie!"
7th June 2004 12:07 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
egon wrote:
reagan dead, creed split up;
oh boy, it's been a hell of a week!

NOW THATS PROGRESS-REAGAN WAS A PATRIOT ,BUT WE'LL PAY FOR HIS MISTAKES AND THE US REACTION TO THEM FOR YEARS TO COME.
7th June 2004 12:22 AM
PolkSalad Interesting last II posts. Different worlds.

http://www.novogate.com/board/2891/194623-1.html
7th June 2004 09:37 AM
Joey

R.I.P. Ronald Reagan ---- You were a great Democrat for Fifty Five Years .....It is too damn bad that you switched political parties after you made a lot of money ( But then again , doesn't everybody ?!?!?! )

{ CA - RACK }

" Double Ronnie ! "

Burcee !
7th June 2004 12:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I think Memorial Day oughta be for remembering whomever you wanna remember.

I agree, or any other day for that matter.

7th June 2004 12:21 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I agree, or any other day for that matter.

7th June 2004 12:23 PM
jb
7th June 2004 12:24 PM
Joey