ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gilmour urges Stones to quit Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
30th May 2006 03:01 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
the good wrote:
Did he and Wyman get together for tea or something?

I bet Wyman paid him to say that...lol.As for Gilmour's last effort, great guitar skills but damn, what a bore!
30th May 2006 03:08 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Dan, of course he could...but just wish these other musicians would shut the fuck up.

Oh pleeze - its easy to tell from the responses that a lot of people here live for these comments because it gives them a chance to play the same game - bashing someone in an open forum.

quote:

Floyd could make a billion dollars and play a free show in my back yard.I'd pull the plug and close the drapes....

I wasn't impressed but I have also gathered that drug use is an intergral part of the experience in addition to the usual cravings for nostalgia that sustain legacy acts.

quote:

On another topic..have any more LA Forum sources surfaced yet?..Thanks

Not that I am aware of but I havent really been paying attention.
30th May 2006 03:14 PM
axl79 So what ! It's up to Keith and Mick to deside when to stop , not Gilmour!!!

Gilmour, please, get a life !
30th May 2006 03:14 PM
gimmekeef Well..thanks anyway........moving on.......
30th May 2006 03:16 PM
telecaster David Gilmour is still alive?

And BTW...who in the fuck would even ask his opinion or interview him?

30th May 2006 03:47 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
David Gilmour is still alive?

30th May 2006 06:30 PM
IanBillen
Seriously,

David Gilmore needs to worry about his own group.
The Stones were a bigger draw than even Pink Floyd.
And they still are. Pink Floyd can't keep it together to even think about doing a single together, let alone an album.

Floyd is were good. Real good. Not my particular cup of tea, but the were(emphasis on were), super. I admit it. The Stones however, were the real deal. Then, and now.

*Now that it is all said and done Gilmore has got to realize that when you look at Floyd next to The Stones through out the ages Pink Floyd comes up way short.

I think this gets his goat so he gives a snide remark here and again.

It was in the way he put it. Pretty Obvious.

Voodoo Lounge=very, very, good. Great Stuff. By anyones standards

Bridges=Good Album. Like it or not it was quality stuff.

And A Bigger Bang is hot baby! It is argueably a worthy successor to some of their masterworks as I once read. So he doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about anyway. Seems more like he's talking out of his ass. That's obvious as well.

Ian

30th May 2006 06:44 PM
theanchorman Whoe is David Gilmoure
30th May 2006 06:49 PM
mrhipfl guitar player and vocalist for Pink Floyd.
30th May 2006 06:49 PM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Seriously,

David Gilmore needs to worry about his own group.
The Stones were a bigger draw than even Pink Floyd.

Look at their tour schedules. If the Stones are a bigger draw, its not my much. If Pink Floyd were to tour now, it would smoke all records as they haven't diluted any demand by constant touring.

quote:

And they still are. Pink Floyd can't keep it together to even think about doing a single together, let alone an album.

Thats by choice after cashing out on the last tour. Also, much like the Stones Pink Floyd is more of a virtual corporation than a band. They just haven't done any business for the last 12 years other than a brief non-profit venture last year.

I am actually more interested in what the interviewer said to elicit that comment. Probably something along the lines of "When is the next Pink Floyd tour."

Then again I am still pissed over his comments about Americans not being generous enough or whatever to really care what he thinks about the Stones or anything else.
30th May 2006 07:49 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

You aren't qualified to render an opinion if you've never heard "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" on headphones behind 500 mics of excellent acid. I'm guessing you think Dark Side was their first album. And what's your doctorate in, anyway, musical ignorance (mine is in law, BTW).

I love you
30th May 2006 08:44 PM
theanchorman
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
guitar player and vocalist for Pink Floyd.

Shaking head in disbelief...

I was being sarcastic.
31st May 2006 12:37 AM
IanBillen "Look at their tour schedules. If the Stones are a bigger draw, its not my much. If Pink Floyd were to tour now, it would smoke all records as they haven't diluted any demand by constant touring."

I know it was never by much. But it was more. And yes, if Pink Floyd were to tour now it may possibly topple even The Stones. But they need a retirement, and a long break, and a reuinion tour to beat The Stones draw. The Stones just always beat Pink Floyd by doing another normal tour and album with no drama involved.

That is a real difference.

And yes Pink Floyd do not want to tour or record together anymore. Well guess what, the lead singer is touring solo so it isn't about retirement. It is about getting bored and / or tired of each other, and the Pink Floyd saga in general. The Stones are in a league of their own, the icon's of what it means to be a rock n roll band, yet they remain real at what they do, and at the same time, down to earth while still putting out great works and entertainining millions all over the world. Floyd doesn't have the drive The Rolling Stones do. They know it and so do we.

That is the deciding difference.

Hell if David Gilmoure wants to rake, tell him to try and change his sound, he is so in the same vain as Pink Floyd he has shown me nothing truly creative.

Pink Floyd had a fantastic sound sure, but it was always the same. No variation. Same exact recording style, tempo, song structure.....everything.

I really respected him until now copping what The Stones do. He might as well join his buddy from Oasis. They seem to be on the same level.

All he is doing is a Pink Floyd tour with out Pink Floyd because there is no more Pink Floyd. Talk about clinging to something....he should talk.

Gilmoure hasn't a thing on The Stones and he knows it. And in return The Stones got everything, and anything they want on Pink Floyd.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
31st May 2006 12:43 AM
pdog Ian,
I urge you to stop posting!
Just kidding...
31st May 2006 07:37 AM
Larry Dallas Has Gilmour urged his good friend Paul McCartney to quit touring? Paul's thrown him a bone every now and then so he escapes the GILMOUR WRATH. Fuck Pink Floyd. Let's face it, Pink Floyd has inspired many grown adults to live in their parents basement and play with their multi-sided die. If I were Gilmour, I would worry about my own legacy in that regard. Ultimately, he has to live with the fact that no one has ever suggested that they play a Stones record and watch the Wizard of OZ.
31st May 2006 07:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
Larry Dallas wrote:
Has Gilmour urged his good friend Paul McCartney to quit touring? Paul's thrown him a bone every now and then so he escapes the GILMOUR WRATH. Fuck Pink Floyd. Let's face it, Pink Floyd has inspired many grown adults to live in their parents basement and play with their multi-sided die. If I were Gilmour, I would worry about my own legacy in that regard. Ultimately, he has to live with the fact that no one has ever suggested that they play a Stones record and watch the Wizard of OZ.

LOLOL..brilliant
31st May 2006 09:57 AM
Jerry in Boston Tsk, tsk, David, David, David, how very bitter life has turned you. In the spirit of kindness, might I make a suggestion? This inspirational nugget of advice can be read on countless high quality 100% cotton, pre-shrunk t-shirts in New York City for the bargain price of only $8 each. Today, for free, I quote:

"FUCK YOU, YA FUCKIN' FUCK!"
31st May 2006 09:58 AM
corgi37 Well, Gilmour played with Macca as we know - and hasnt suggested the new single man stop touring.

He played with Townsehend too - Is he gonna say the Who should give it away?

The fat cunt probably cant even get on a stage anymore.

And, his main claim to fame is that he plays his signature solo THE SAME - NIGHT AFTER NIGHT - SHOW AFTER SHOW! No passion. No inspiration to take is somewhere else. No, he's gotta play "Wish you were here" EXACTLY as the record, of the bong heads would get him.

Does he communicate with the audience? Does he move? NO!!

Did he employ muso's over 1/2 his age (remember the guitarist in the "Pretend Floyd") who skipped up and down on the spot and had a mullet Billy Ray Cyrus would have weeped over? I do. My mate (a Floyd nut) does too, and he still cringes.

Plus, and this is it for me, the geezer talks too, too nice and posh. Just as i feel Brian May aint a true rocker. Dunno why i feel like that. I know Jagger puts the accent on, but thats the way a old rocker should sound.

"Keef! Keef! Wot cha doin?" Or "I just fink its so bleeding stoopid!"

Not... "Roger, i say, Roger. Be a good fellow and cheer up a bit, there's a good lad. Look, i've written a rather witty tune. Might be a change of pace from the usual "My dad died in the war" saga's you write. Roger? I say, Roger, put that cymbol stand now. At once, Roger. Oh, my. Well, be depressed, old bean. You shall hear from my "Gentleman's Gentleman". Good day Roger. Good day!"

Never trust a fucker that torks proppa!
31st May 2006 10:12 AM
ListenToTheLion Let's be honest : Gilmour is right. We all love to see the Stones but in fact the man speaks the truth.
31st May 2006 10:16 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Let's be honest : Gilmour is right. We all love to see the Stones but in fact the man speaks the truth.

Meh. Every time some ass urges the Stones to quit, a random poster on this board (or any other board) eventually says, "The [band, man, artist, fucknut] speaks the truth."
If we love to see the Stones then it's good they didn't quit. And if you're embarrassed for them because of public opinion, a saying about having a cake and eating it pops into mind.

Now, what's ahead for the Stones is anyone's guess, though.
31st May 2006 10:23 AM
StickyFishFingers Gilmour is entitled to his opinion on the matter regardless of whether we agree with him or not. Have Mick & Keith said similar things in their time about other musicians? They probably have. Didn't Mick come out with some comment many years ago about giving the rock star life away once he hit 30?

Incidentally i hear that at Gilmour's recent Albert Hall gig David Bowie joined him on stage to sing Arnold Layne & Comfortably Numb.
[Edited by StickyFishFingers]
31st May 2006 10:48 AM
ListenToTheLion The problem is : everyone says what an idiot Gilmour is but no one reacts
on WHAT he says....
31st May 2006 10:50 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
StickyFishFingers wrote:
Gilmour is entitled to his opinion on the matter regardless of whether we agree with him or not. Have Mick & Keith said similar things in their time about other musicians? They probably have. Didn't Mick come out with some comment many years ago about giving the rock star life away once he hit 30?

I'm pretty sure the Stones themselves didn't think they would manage to still keep going at over 60, given that there has only recently been a change in the mentality about "ageing" and about what one is capable of after a certain age.

As for the Stones trashing other artists for being old-- not very likely, who the hell was older than them anyway? Did they ever bash their influences? Did they bash Chuck Berry for being old? I believe they did say something about Elvis, but Elvis is another matter, and on the whole, the Stones are pioneers in a lot of ways when it comes to ageing, and a lot of this stupid bashing from others comes from the fact that no one can relate with them.
31st May 2006 10:51 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
The problem is : everyone says what an idiot Gilmour is but no one reacts
on WHAT he says....

I don't agree with those saying "Gilmour is talentless" as some sort of retaliation to him bashing the Stones. But if someone says Gilmour is an idiot for what he said about the Stones, hell I won't argue with that.
31st May 2006 05:35 PM
IanBillen [quote]Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Meh. Every time some ass urges the Stones to quit, a random poster on this board (or any other board) eventually says, "The [band, man, artist, fucknut] speaks the truth."
If we love to see the Stones then it's good they didn't quit. And if you're embarrassed for them because of public opinion, a saying about having a cake and eating it pops into mind.

FUCKING A RIGHT!!!

Every time someone in the lime light nicks The Stones for what they are doing you get odd posters here agreeing with them.

These folks are just like my cousin. People who agree just to agree with the arguement or statement at hand. Folks who just want to seem as if they know the true story to it all.

Then if someone says how fantastic the Stones can be live even in today's day and age, or what truly a good record A Bigger Bang is compared to all the other stuff out there....they will agree to that as well.

I call them "nodder's". They do not even know what they want. Hell, these are the same folks that wanted a no-nonsense, straight up, rock album from The Stones and they got it delivered on the mark and in form.

....and they still whine.

Never satisfied, always nodding, or whining.

Ever just think about calling a duck a duck?

For example: Is A Bigger Bang, at the very least good songs with a good sound that still carries that Stones energy?

At the very least: Hell yes.

Are The Rolling Stones still putting on a great shows and still showing they have more drive than any other band in history by continuing to rock n roll with no apologies?

Well sure.

Then shut your mouth, take it for what it is, and quit being a nay-sayer like the rest. Geez.

Ian

31st May 2006 05:56 PM
MrPleasant There is no such thing as bad publicity. Thank you, David.
31st May 2006 06:14 PM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]Ihavelotsajam wrote:

FUCKING A RIGHT!!!

Every time someone in the lime light nicks The Stones for what they are doing you get odd posters here agreeing with them.

These folks are just like my cousin. People who agree just to agree with the arguement or statement at hand. Folks who just want to seem as if they know the true story to it all.

Then if someone says how fantastic the Stones can be live even in today's day and age, or what truly a good record A Bigger Bang is compared to all the other stuff out there....they will agree to that as well.

I call them "nodder's". They do not even know what they want. Hell, these are the same folks that wanted a no-nonsense, straight up, rock album from The Stones and they got it delivered on the mark and in form.

For example: Is A Bigger Bang, at the very least good songs with a good sound that still carries that Stones energy?

Are The Rolling Stones still putting on a great shows and still showing they have more drive than any other band in history by continuing to rock n roll with no apologies?

Well sure.

Then shut your mouth, take it for what it is, and quit being a nay-sayer like the rest. Geez.

Ian

Good thing people will continue to bash the Stones at least while they are in the limelight otherwise I wouldn't get to read rants like that. Not that I read it, but the sentiment is still the same.
31st May 2006 07:02 PM
Kilroy "Listen Please, Please If you'll be quiet for thirty second I'll tell you what has happened...........We don't get a a Pink Floyd Concert if you don't clear the place...it as simple as that...this is the management." and the crowd chanted "We want Chuck, We Want Chuck, We Want Chuck " That is what happened at the end of a Chuck Berry concert in the late 70's..............This is what I say to Mr. Gilmore in 2006 We Want The Stones, We Want The Stones, We Want The Stones.
[Edited by Kilroy]
31st May 2006 09:53 PM
Soldatti
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]Ihavelotsajam wrote:

FUCKING A RIGHT!!!

Well sure.

Ian

Ian, you could work for the Stones camp! LOL.
31st May 2006 11:40 PM
glencar Although I think Gilmour is a bit of a windbag, I have indeed been hearing more calls for the Stones to hang it up. I think after next year's Euro make-up tour, it'll be all over now.
[Edited by glencar]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)