ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Midnight ramblin' babies!!
© Christopher Simon Sykes with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Journey Through America with the Rolling Stones Return to archive
June 6th, 2005 10:50 AM
purrcafe Has anybody read the recent reissue of this book by Robert Greenfield, which was an account of the 1972 tour? Interesting in some ways, although I thought the writing was self-conscious and boy, did the slang of the time age badly!
June 6th, 2005 11:03 AM
mac_daddy it is one of my favorite books on the stones...

what is new in the reissue..?

the slang is there, but you get kind of used to it. struck me as trying a little too hard to be like the beats, but there are worse things to aspire to, i guess, and the book is a very fluid read...

i read it for the first time exclusively while listening to boots from the 72 tour...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
June 6th, 2005 03:04 PM
purrcafe
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

what is new in the reissue..?

The only new material is a new introduction by the author. I guess that other than illustrating just how much the music industry has changed since '72, it almost feels like you are reading about a different country!

[Edited by mac_daddy]

June 7th, 2005 12:25 AM
texile it's my favorite - period.
better than the booth book because greenfield was a fly on the wall and stayed out of the stones orbit which is what a journalist should do.........
not try and BE them like stanley booth - he was pretentious and too awed by them.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)