ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Midnight ramblin' babies!!
© Christopher Simon Sykes with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's arthritis Return to archive
June 5th, 2005 11:05 AM
zak I assume it's been discussed before, but Keith's finger joints realy bother me.
what do you know about his condition? has he ever talked about it?
how can he play at all?
June 5th, 2005 11:29 AM
CraigP I wondered the same thing.
I'm sure some of the highest quality heroin does the trick.
June 5th, 2005 12:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Keith has this problem since some years ago and has toured, guested and recorded since then, so it's not a big problem at all

This is a zoom from a picture taken by Fernando Aceves back in 2002

This one is a stand-still from a Japanese TV program, provided by Nico Zentgraf

June 5th, 2005 01:08 PM
T&A he's talked about - and it certainly affects his playing. he discussed with with Matt Lauer a few years ago.
June 5th, 2005 02:55 PM
Soldatti The second pic is shocking.
June 5th, 2005 03:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
zak wrote:
I assume it's been discussed before, but Keith's finger joints realy bother me.
what do you know about his condition? has he ever talked about it?
how can he play at all?

he does tend to play it down in interviews, but the fact that he hasnt been able to take his skull ring off his 4th finger for almost a decade now (I was first told as far back as 1998 that it had progressed to this extent) would indicate a significant problem

There's no doubt in my mind that it's increasingly had an affect on his playing in recent years, and that's not a situation that's going to improve.
June 5th, 2005 04:12 PM
Moonisup It's kinda sad! both index fingers suffer from the same problems, so it's not strange that in a few years he can't hold his pic anymore.
and it really effects his playing, it gets worse and worse, and some nights better then others
June 5th, 2005 04:16 PM
Moonisup at the PC:

June 5th, 2005 04:19 PM
telecaster I had drinks with a leading researcher in arthritis a couple of months ago

I showed him a pic of Keith's fingers

He said Keith has the worse form and he was amazed he could even play

My Mom has arthritis and I asked him the best rememedy
to kill the pain

Without pause he said "tell her to have a couple drinks, it really is the best thing"

Keith obviously got the message
June 5th, 2005 04:25 PM
HellsRollingThunder I wonder what Keith takes besides Vodka and Orange Soda to
relieve his painful arthritis? My parents and many of my friends
have it. Some people take Celebrex under careful doctor supervision as a physician told me. There are many prescription
drugs to relieve the pain and some people use Ibuprofen.

Doctors tell arthritis sufferers that keeping the joints mobile will
help keep them limber so the stiffness does not progress as fast.
They seem to encourage folks to walk exercise and the like.
I sure hope he is seeking the best medical help, and will be able
to play for many more years.
June 5th, 2005 04:27 PM
Tom
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Without pause he said "tell her to have a couple drinks, it really is the best thing"

Keith obviously got the message

Now someone please explain Keith the meaning of "couple"
June 5th, 2005 05:07 PM
CraigP A couple means too many
June 5th, 2005 05:50 PM
Poplar
quote:
CraigP wrote:
A couple means too many

herecy!
June 5th, 2005 09:02 PM
kath keith's hands have been like that for a while. no, he can't hit the licks he used to, but he puts a lot of HIMSELF into it now, more drama and photo-op poses!!someday he probably can't play anymore, but he'll cease to exist then. you'd think they could have knuckle replacements for ultra rich rockers....

at least he's not like chuck and them other fellers fuckin' dem turkeys....
June 5th, 2005 10:04 PM
corgi37 He's got some freaky freaking fingers for sure.

Almost look like a ancient oriental sex toy.

Must really hit the spots!
June 6th, 2005 06:40 AM
Jumping Jack Imagine what his lungs and liver look like!
June 6th, 2005 07:34 AM
ßloody red ®ooster woow how do you get arthritis? hope its not by playing guitar to much
June 6th, 2005 08:15 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
T&A wrote:
he's talked about - and it certainly affects his playing. he discussed with with Matt Lauer a few years ago.

I read where he said it wasn't arthritis and that it doesn't hurt at all. He said his Grandmother had it too. It lloks like Marlon has it as well. Do we have any pics of the girls hands? I don't see him being able to bend his left index finger like in the first picture like that if it hurt. You would think going on the road and playing every night would not be something he'd want to do if it hurt.

But whatever it is it for sure makes it hard to form chords. How is he getting his fingers inbetween the strings for crying out loud?
June 6th, 2005 10:21 PM
Lord Homosex Probably another reason for him to stick with the opne tunings. I'm positive that it would be fairly easy to make it possiblefor him to play.
Bigger frets, wider neck, heavy strings, open tunings, a pick on the thumb...
June 7th, 2005 04:17 AM
Poplar
if they can split to conjoined human beings, they ought to be able to sand down those knuckles.
June 7th, 2005 04:25 AM
ßloody red ®ooster
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
Bigger frets, wider neck, heavy strings, open tunings, a pick on the thumb...

He should switch to the pedal steel! instead of the bottle neck he can have the whole bottle on his finger
June 7th, 2005 10:47 AM
Saint Sway GOOD LAWD!!! Keef's hands look terrible!! His pinky finger is so mangled and deformed that I swear its actually starting to look like Ronnie Woods face!

quote:
Moonisup wrote:
at the PC:

June 8th, 2005 11:50 PM
Bitch If KEITH has arthritis, or anything else for that matter, it won't prevent him from playing. I think KEITH said he'll keep playing until he croaks right on the stage at the press conference when someone asked about the "aging rocker" thing. He'll never stop, never stop, never never never stop!
June 9th, 2005 11:57 AM
oldkr that comment about keith not being able to remove his skull ring is absolute and utter nonsense! keiths ring is so loose it rattles around on his finger , and his right hand isnt nearly as affected as his left

get it together guys

BECAUSE IM OLDKR
June 9th, 2005 12:28 PM
kath geez.
June 9th, 2005 12:35 PM
blackandblue In stead of that Pirate film they better could offer Keith a rol in a horror movie...

June 9th, 2005 12:44 PM
Bloozehound OHH!!

scared me!
June 9th, 2005 01:07 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
HellsRollingThunder wrote:
Doctors tell arthritis sufferers that keeping the joints mobile will
help keep them limber so the stiffness does not progress as fast.
They seem to encourage folks to walk exercise and the like.

Then surely playing guitar is Keith's exercise for keeping arthritic fingers in working condition! Cheer up, folks!
June 9th, 2005 05:27 PM
kath ooooo nosferatu!!! he does look a little like keef in the old day, except he has teeth....
[Edited by kath]
June 9th, 2005 09:07 PM
glencar Man, those are some scary fingers. Maybe "Scary Fingers" oughta be the new CD title.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)