ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Internet heroes: Angiegirl, Frank and Strange_Stray_Cat
Vision Zukunftspark, Oberhausen - June 13, 2003

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New London date - 15th Sept. Return to archive
06-10-03 01:26 PM
FM
Anyone mentioned this so far ?

It's at Wembley Arena. Tix go on sale
on Thursday.

http://www.nme.com/news/105270.htm

Fraser
06-10-03 02:45 PM
Gazza Excellent!!
thanks for the tip!
The Grande Finale beckons!

suppose rs.com still havent mentioned it yet? they still havent even told us about the benidorm gig which was confirmed about a month ago!
[Edited by Gazza]
06-10-03 02:50 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Grande Finale beckons!

Please don't say that, it makes me Sad Sad Sad!

Bad Bad Bad!!
06-10-03 03:05 PM
Gazza I mean just of OUR leg of the tour, of course!
06-10-03 03:26 PM
steel driving hammer Imagine their last ever concert. But knowing it's their last one. All the press, cameras and they boys even saying to the press, "Yes, this will be our final show." That day should become a World Holiday.

Like the Beatles and Elvis, do you think the Stones will become even stronger when their gone?

How bad/good is that to look foward too eh?
[Edited by steel driving hammer]
06-10-03 03:42 PM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for that FM!

This is great news, but bolloks to me as im in Sanfransico!

Still, i have 3 more shows still to see

Alex
06-10-03 04:23 PM
Gazza >Imagine their last ever concert. But knowing it's their last one. All the press, cameras and they boys even saying to the press, "Yes, this will be our final show." That day should become a World Holiday.

its a weird feeling because Ive twice been to the last concert on a Stones world tour (London 25.8.90 and Rotterdam 30.8.95), a penultimate one (Dublin 24.7.82) and one that was pretty much near the end of the last tour (London 12.6.99 - they did three afterwards). This year I'll be at the last European show,although it does seem there will be further shows somewhere in the world after that one. Every single one of those shows (with the exception of Rotterdam because news had leaked out by then of Indian shows scheduled for spring 1996 - which in the end never happened) Ive gone to it thinking it would be the last one ever or at least the last one I'd ever see. Its NOT a pleasant feeling when they come out for the final encore and start that last song,believe me. This year will be no different I'm sure. A few weeks of excitement and euphoria followed by a big low and a huge void. My gut feeling is it for one reason or another it WILL be the last Stones shows I'll see

>Like the Beatles and Elvis, do you think the Stones will become even stronger when their gone?

Good question. It might take a while though. The Beatles are unlike the other two because they ended it when they were still youthful and near the peak of their power. That appeal is eternal.

Elvis - unfairly in my view - was viewed with critical disdain and ridicule at the time of his death and for a while afterwards too until years afterwards when the quality of his work was put into its proper historical perspective and appreciated properly (thanks partly to the fact that his record company and his estate finally started repackaging his work properly and released quality unissued material instead of endlessly regurgitating the worst material of his career - namely his Hollywood music -and paying attention to what his fans wanted) It was strange to see the plaudits for him on his 25th anniversary last year. It certainly wasn't that way in previous eras. I was 14 when Elvis died and back then to be an Elvis fan at the time of punk etc was to invite ridicule. Theres still that irritating image many people latterly asociate with him of some fat guy in a tacky jumpsuit. Thankfully, that isnt as commonplace as it used to be.

I'm not so sure about the Stones. I think since "40 Licks" came out their work has been revalued and theyre enjoying their best reviews in ages, but no one here needs to be reminded how theyve been ludicrously critically undervalued. Unfortunately we're living in a "now" MTV-type generation with little concept or understanding of any music that existed more than five minutes ago. Most people in charge of what gets on the radio or on music television dont care about music and know even less. Twenty years ago,you'd never have seen any poll of "great acts" or "great albums" have the Stones anywhere outside the top three or five artists of all time. Nowadays theyre deemed less important than artists like Nirvana (good band but whose career lasted what..two or three albums?) or fucking Radiohead, God help us.

Maybe the Stones havent helped matters themselves by being so out of touch - ie targeting their concerts to an elitist market which for financial reasons will exclude a younger audience with less disposable income - and not releasing enough new music (and when they do,not being convincing about its worth). It'll probably take the end of the band (which will happen IMO as soon as one of them rolls over dead)to make the music world finally give them anything like their proper credit. Even then,it'll hardly be a worthy epitaph
06-10-03 04:28 PM
Moonisup it's sad, that they not have earned the respect they deserve, but well, it's better to be the underdog, and after maybe 20 years people will say: "they stones, damn they where actually suberb"

and you can say: Fucker, I knew that from birth.

that's I think what keeps us stonesfans special, no matter what they write about the stones (although we are also somewhat critical now and then) we still like them and it's still great to see the stones doing Brown sugar instead of listening to an old boot, where you can barely hear them..
06-10-03 04:43 PM
steel driving hammer Nice thought provoking read Gary, thanks.

06-10-03 04:46 PM
Joey " Nice thought provoking read Gary, thanks. "

Steelie , I would like to nuzzle you .

06-10-03 04:56 PM
steel driving hammer Why don't you nuzzle me after I put some of this in my ass...

www.mintyass.com

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003