ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Internet heroes: Angiegirl, Frank and Strange_Stray_Cat
Vision Zukunftspark, Oberhausen - June 13, 2003

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yardbirds V2.0 Return to archive
06-07-03 04:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot I gotta admit, I was sceptical about seeing the Yardbirds. I mean, No Relf, no Beck, no Page, no Clapton, how good could it be?

Huh. It could be a pretty damn hot shit show is what it could be! There are 2 original members in this version of the Yardbirds...Chris Dreja(R Guitar) and Jim McCarty(Drums). Gypie Mayo, the new lead player, played for Dr Feelgood....and is red hot. Alan Glen blows harp, and is red hot. John Idan is a Keith Relf clone. Looks like him, plays like him, sings like him...amazing.

My big complaint, and I'm sure you all know what is coming, was that the guitar solos got to be a little much. In fact Mayo got himself lost a few times. I noticed myself drift out of the song, and start to people watch during some of the longer solos. But long, overblown(IMO) solos are a trademark of psychedelic music, so it was a cross that I was willing to bear for the evening.

I really enjoyed the new songs, but the highlights for me were still the classic Yardbirds standards....Over Under Sideways Down, Happenings Ten Years Time Ago, For Your Love, Heart Full Of Soul, and Shapes of Things, all sounded fresh and vibrant. Hearing those wonderful songs played by a hot shit band who KNOWS how they are to be played was a real treat.

If the Yardies come to a club near you...spend the $15.00 to see them. You get much more than a simple nostalgia show...you get a great show put on by a great band.
06-07-03 04:56 PM
Factory Girl Thank you, Sir. Very keen review.
06-07-03 07:15 PM
Playguitar Sounds like you had a good time. Where was the concert ?
06-07-03 08:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh yeah, the venue....The Crowbar in State College PA. Great place to see bands. I saw the English Beat there.

And good news!

The little black dress is making a comeback. Thank GOD!
06-07-03 11:45 PM
gypsy Oh, SS, the little black dress NEVER goes out of style...
06-08-03 07:22 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for the review SS. It sounds like you got full length show. As i said in my previous thread, they part of a package and were maybe on stage for about 40 minutes.

But im really glad you enjoyed it. Were they singing autographs after the show? Where i saw them, they had an autograph session after the show. Managed to get all their signatures.

Did they play "Dazed And Confused"?

Alex
06-08-03 07:34 AM
Hannalee This article was linked to on Undercover - it was in the Indianapolis Star (I think)

DAVID LINDQUIST
Two original Yardbirds remain, and neither one plays lead guitar

The Yardbirds (from left, John Idan, Jim McCarty, Gypie Mayo, Alan Glen and Chris Dreja) are scheduled to perform Monday at the Vogue. -- Favored Nation Records

THE YARDBIRDS
� When: 8 p.m. Monday.
� Where: The Vogue, 6259 N. College Ave.
� Tickets: $13 advance, $15 day of show. Call 1-317-239-5151.

June 6, 2003

Chris Dreja may be the only person in the world who can get away with calling Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page "guitar goddesses."
But it's a good-natured jab. Dreja was a bandmate of all three in the Yardbirds, the U.K. group that scored six Top 30 singles in 1965 and 1966.
Dreja, who played rhythm guitar or bass in various phases of the Yardbirds, recalls distinctive traits among the three giants of rock 'n' roll history:
Charisma defined the young Clapton, who later starred with Cream and as a solo artist.
The term "musical genius" applied to Beck, who went on to collaborate with Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger and Robert Plant.
Ambition carried Page, whose initial name for Led Zeppelin was the "New Yardbirds."
The reunited Yardbirds will perform Monday at the Vogue with a lineup that includes none of the men who made the group famous. Dreja and drummer Jim McCarty are the only original members still playing with the group that entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992. (Vocalist Keith Relf died in 1976.)
Redoing their classics
The good news is that the band is touring in support of a vibrant new album, "Birdland." In addition to new renditions of numerous Yardbirds classics, including "For Your Love," "Over Under Sideways Down" and "Shapes of Things," the recording includes fresh explorations of blues, global accents and the three-minute-pop-song format.
And in conversation, Dreja acquits himself as a regal link to the British Invasion.
"There have been many different musical trends since we first laid down our arms back in the late '60s," Dreja says during a telephone interview. "But guitars are still guitars. As you hear on our new album, second and third generations of great players have taken the sound of the guitar to even greater heights. It's been a great pleasure to observe that."
"Birdland" was released April 22 through Favored Nations, a label founded by metal virtuoso Steve Vai. Vai makes a guest appearance, as do Slash (Guns N' Roses), Brian May (Queen) and even ex-Yardbird Beck.
But, again, don't look for any of these players at the Vogue.
The band now features John "Gypie" Mayo, a member of rowdy U.K. rockers Dr. Feelgood during the late '70s.
"You don't resurrect a band like this without the right ingredients, and one of those ingredients, of course, is an absolutely stunning lead guitar player," Dreja says.
An improbable 36 years have passed since the Yardbirds' last studio album, "Little Games." When explaining "Birdland's" new stabs at eight songs from the 1960s, Dreja says obvious leaps in recording technology proved irresistible.
"I think most artists would take the chance to re-present the play or repaint some of the canvas or change a note here or there," he says. "But you don't often get the chance."
Life after the Yardbirds
After the group's demise in 1968, Dreja pursued a career in photography (that's his work on the back cover of Led Zeppelin's debut album).
It's merely coincidence, he says, that the plot of 1966 film "Blow-Up" -- which famously included the Yardbirds jamming at a subterranean party -- centered on the life of a hipster photographer.
"As a photographer, you are responsible for every aspect through the final image," Dreja says. "It's a complete process. After working with the band in a very concentrated period, it was a great relief to move into something that was dependent purely on myself."
According to Dreja, the Yardbirds' comeback dovetails nicely with a garage rock revival that's launched acts such as the White Stripes and Strokes onto the charts.
"People are coming out to live shows, where they want to hear musicians and see them sweat," the 56-year-old says. "And it's very interesting that there's a whole slew of bands playing fairly uncomplicated and honest music."

Sorry about the (lack of) picture. It declined to copy.

[Edited by Hannalee]
06-08-03 06:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man, you only got 40 minutes Alex?

They played for about 90 minutes when I saw them.

Yes they played Dazed & Confused. Last song of the night. I liked it. It wasn't overdone like the Zep version. Short bluesy jams...no crazy 12 minute solo. It was cool. They also did a shit hot version of Bo Diddley's "I'm A Man".

They were signing after the show, but it was late, and I didn't feel like waiting around.
06-08-03 07:10 PM
Honky Tonk Man It was only 40 minutes, but a good 40 minutes!

90 minutes? That must of played their entire studio output!

I was ABSOLOUTLY blow away when they did "Dazed And Confused" I was not expecting it and i know everyone else in the audience wasn't. I went with my dad and i was BY FAR the youngest one there. I doubt anyone their had evan heard of Led Zeppelin!

It was a package tour. The Yardbirds, The Troggs and the Spencer Davis Group (minus Steve Winwood!) played practicaly every town across the UK. It was a damn shame the Yardbirds played first. The other two bands were awful.

I don't know whether he spoke much at the gig, but don't you think Chris Dreja sounds really posh?

Alex

06-08-03 09:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, Dreja is indeed very posh.

They did all of the new tunes that they did for the new album, "Birdland", which I should have bought and got signed. Oh well, live and learn. Plus they did some old blues covers...like Smokestack Lightning...as well as all the classic hits that you'd expect.

I can't believe the Yardbirds were bottom of the bill when you saw them...perhaps it was one of those deals like they all take turns going on last, and you just caught them on the wrong night. Because the band that I saw Friday night...they should be headlining every night.

And Gypsy....the little black dress always makes a comeback in the spring, at least in this part of the world. It's too fuckin' cold to wear them in the winter. Livin' where you do though...you could wear them all year round. Man, the thought of that makes me go all a-tingle.
Slutty fishnets, or nothing at all?
06-08-03 09:44 PM
gypsy nothin' at all, babe
06-08-03 11:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I must now go for a very cold shower.
06-08-03 11:57 PM
gypsy I don't think so. You go to wherever Lady Stonesalot is and you shave her right now...then make sweet love to her all night. I don't want to read another post from you until you finish!
06-09-03 04:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot Lady Stonesalot? Shave her? Make sweet love?

We're married with a child. Married people don't have sex. At least not with each other. Do they? I mean, hell, I quit asking years ago.
06-09-03 06:06 PM
gypsy How depressing.
I guess you'll have to get a secretary a la jb. He's been getting laid left and right. As a matter of fact, he rarely posts anymore. I imagine he's too busy with his secretary.
06-09-03 08:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yes. A "secretary". Great idea.

You are hired G. Now come here and take some dick-tation!

Oh geez...you walked right into that one girl.
06-09-03 08:44 PM
Joey " Yes. A "secretary". Great idea.

You are hired G. Now come here and take some dick-tation!

Oh geez...you walked right into that one girl. "

You make Joey sniggle

" BumpStop ME Ronnie "

Skittles

06-09-03 10:08 PM
gypsy Yes, I suppose I left myself wide open for that remark.

Joey, make fun all you want, but bumpstoppers works great. Like my dad says: "The brothers get all the good stuff."
06-11-03 03:11 PM
Joey " Joey, make fun all you want, but bumpstoppers works great. Like my dad says: "The brothers get all the good stuff."

Amen to that my Oklahoma is OK living , Tornadic activity dodging , radiologic technologic loving , burning in the summer-ing , not going to see Steely Dan this year - ing , bumpstopper applying , inexplicable afro in the 70's sporting , Dad was in Vietnam - ing , Beach house in Maui soon to be inhabiting Princess .

Jacky !

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003