ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Internet heroes: Angiegirl, Frank and Strange_Stray_Cat
Vision Zukunftspark, Oberhausen - June 13, 2003

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review Munich Olympia Halle Return to archive
06-06-03 09:01 AM
Mathijs After a 1700 kilometre drive, here�s a short review of the opening show at the Munich Olympia Halle. Please note, it is from a musicians� point of view, and if you do not like to hear some lesser or even negative remarks, please do not read on. First off, a Stones show is always a terrific happening, and the shear excitement of seeing the Stones perform live is worth the price of a ticket alone.

We (a group of 8 people) arrived at the Halle at around 15.00 O �Clock, and there were just about 30 people waiting in line. Due to the high temperature of 34 degrees, the atmosphere was nice and gently, and as we knew many people, it was a nice gathering. We were told the gates would open at 6, and nobody did stand up until 17.45. I expected the well-known German precision and good organisation, but the opposite was true. The queue (which had grown to 300 people) had to squeeze between 2 small gates, and the security decided to frisk us at that point. The crowd just pushed them aside, and the German police started to turn quite nasty at that moment, shouting German commands in our ears. The entrance to the Halle was very badly marked, and after trying some 3 or 4 entrances we finally found the proper one to the floor section, where again German commands were shouted. Later we heard people were arrested and taken to a police station for �running in the aisle�s�, and also for carrying small throwaway cameras�.

We took our spot right at the fence of the B-stage, which gave us a clear view to the main stage, and letting us have the Stones perform for three numbers on a 2 feet distance. The opening band The Cranberries was just plain horrible. Ever since they had their fist hit I am allergic to the singer�s voice bends and her stage act, so it wasn�t entirely their vault the hair on my back went up.

Then, show time. The Halle was completely sold out as it turned out. No empty seats could be seen, although the floor section wasn�t as crowded as I expected. The intro sounded like the percussion of Sympathy for the Devil and I did think it was lacking a bit in tension. Charlie sat down behind the drums, and the opening of Street fighting Man was strong. The sound was excellent, with a (very) loud Keith and Ron, but lacking a bit in drum overhead and snare. The snare problem was fixed within two numbers, but Charlie�s overhead (especially his large China Crash), could not be heard very well throughout the entire show. Then to It�s Only R&R and If You Can�t Rock Me, and the first signs of the future show were becoming clear. Keith was quite out of it, clearly not knowing when changes or breaks should be played, hardly knowing whether IYCRM was in C or D. He played it like it was the first time in 20 years he played it, and all he could remember was the intro. Instead of laying down solid rhythms, Keith kept on throwing in strange bends and solo�s, mostly in strange places and out of key. Chuck Leavell was holding down both songs �and the entire show- together. After this show I am certain: without Leavell there would be no Stones anymore. Leavell is the big conductor, controlling EVERY change, break, solo and what more. Waving his arms in big style, doing loud but strange piano runs just to grab everybody�s attention. It looks like especially Keith is completely relying on Chuck. So instead of rehearsing songs, he just goes out and plays, and waits for Chuck to tell him what to do, and where to do it. Both songs really suffered from Keith�s inability to hold down the rhythm. Things really improved with Don't Stop. The crowd really likes the song, singing and clapping along, and this shows on the Stones. Ronnie does a great out of tune solo, as he was busier with the camera on his �54 Fender Stratocaster. The surprise of the evening was Heartbreaker, but performed badly. During the intro Keith didn�t know the chords, Jagger started to sing too early and Charlie was lagging behind with his kick. Keith was struggling to find the right chords, and even decided to turn down the volume on his guitar, and mimic as if he was playing! The song was saved by the horns, who were able to breathe some live in the ending. Then Love In Vain, one of the highlights of the evening. Beautifully sung by Jagger, excellent lap steel part by Ronnie, and Keith�s acoustic could be heard very well. LIV turned out to be the beginning of a Let It Bleed section, with Live With Me as the second song. The intro was completely fucked up by Keith. Instead of laying down the rhythm, he enters the songs with a strange kind of Berry-bend, making sure the rest of the band is in great confusion. But, halfway things start to improve, and it actually really starts to swing. The song was graced by Keys� great raunchy sax solo. Monkey Man was the night�s low point. Every chord Keith played was wrong. He clearly couldn�t remember any of the main riffs. Ronnie was trying hard to back Keith up by playing the main riffs, but he also couldn�t stop the songs from really crashing. Fortunately Lisa Fisher was know where to be seen. Midnight Rambler was one of the absolute high points of the evening. Keith�s sound was great (big, fat and raunchy �why Keith doesn�t play the Les Paul TV more often is beyond me!), Jagger played done of the most beautiful harp parts I ever heard, and the song really mesmerised the complete audience. I did notice Mick leaving the stage right before the song, and returning chewing gum like a mad man, and dancing like a maniac. He clearly had some substance help him boost his energy level. During Tumbling Dice Mick continues his frenzy, and that is about all that can be said about this song. The band is introduced, and Keith does a truly beautiful Slipping Away. I can�t help myself thinking that playing songs like this is what Keith should do more. Before They Make Me Run is a standard run through, and it rock�s quite nicely. I notice Blondie playing Wood�s original slide parts, which is a nice addition. Start Me Up is on autopilot, but Charlie seemed to have some difficulties with laying down a solid rhythm. The song is lacking some true drive. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is played in two parts: a first part played way too slow (really to slow, both Jagger and Chuck were trying to speed things up), and Keith again couldn�t remember both the main riff and the intersection riff. Also, I found Keith�s sound way to clean �his Twin amp just can�t deliver the raunch needed. The second part (the jam) was one of the best Stones performances I have ever seen: Bobby plays his heart out, Jagger does an electrifying harp solo, and Wood�s solo is, although far away from Taylor�s original, hauntingly beautiful. I didn�t like Bernard Fowler doing the percussion on a synthesiser though �why doesn�t he play some real conga�s? Honky Tonk Women and Jumping Jack Flash are again run-through�s, and I can�t help feeling there�s no drive, there�s nothing pumping in the engine room. Then off to the B-stage, and we have Jagger performing 2 feet away in front of us. We all notice how energetic and alive especially Ronnie is, and how much attention he seems to draw lately. But having Jagger and Richards perform just 2 feet away is enough to make a grown man cry, so we all scream and shout like teenagers. They start with Mannish Boy, which we couldn�t hear at all. We heard the guitars through the amps a bit, and that was it. Neighbours was excellent. It was fast and raunchy, with some great parts by Wood. Wood was given a cigarette, and pointed at me that he could use my lighter. I threw it, but it bounced into the monitor grill. A second lighter was thrown, but this was the start for some absolute morons in the audience to throw beer cups on stage, and a half-full cup even landed on top f the guitar amps. Brown Sugar was the excepted third song, and I noticed Keith sometimes staring at his guitar with a mindless expression on his face, like he did not know what to do with a guitar. Bobby�s solo didn�t come through as his mike wasn�t connected properly. The Stones left through the crowd, and returned to the main stage with Satisfaction.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself, as the show was a spectacle to see, and especially Jagger and Wood were a delight to watch. But musically, there�s two things bugging me a bit. First off, many songs were played without any real drive or energy. Daryll Jones was just fattening up the sound, and that was it. He wasn�t adding anything more, and (there we go again) the Stones musically absolutely miss Bill Wyman. Second, Keith�s 40 years of drug and alcohol (ab)use seemed to have taken the best of him. Keith is a shadow of what he once was, and the whole band is suffering from that. I understand that last year Keith also needed a couple of shows to warm up, so let�s hope he�s warmed up and running next time I�ll see him �at the Olympia.

Mathijs
06-06-03 09:19 AM
steel driving hammer Thanks!

A great post I can print out, go to the bathroom and sit down and read with!

06-06-03 09:19 AM
dealer squealing Thanks for the review, well i was not there so i cannot make any comments other then thanks for your opinion.
06-06-03 10:20 AM
Monkey Woman Great review, Mathijs! Thanks for sharing.
06-06-03 10:29 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Nice review. And it's nice to see someone being honest about Keith, who in many people's eyes can do no wrong.

I think the overall "Eh..." that greeted this show is probably because they didn't have a whole lotta rehearsal beforehand, *especially* on songs that needed it ("Heartbreaker", "If You Can't Rock Me", etc.) I don't think Keith has lost his touch or anything, I just think he's running on autopilot and without steady rehearsal or any sort of drive (the threat of Ronnie telling him what to do drove him *wild* the second half of the North American Tour) he's tuned out. The solos I saw him do on "Sympathy" and "Gimme Shelter" this winter convinced me that he can get himself back to whatever year he wants to play from, he's just lacking the ambition to do it.

I think this was pretty much an open rehearsal that people payed a whole lotta money to see, judging by this and other reviews.

Although I dunno, I wasn't there. I'm glad you got up to the B-stage, though... too bad about Ronnie not being able to snag a light!

Did he *play* on the B-Stage, or was he just foolin' around? Because the B-Stage is the one place I notice him stopping in the middle of songs to snag stuff...

-tSYX --- How does it feeeeeel.... (get ready, I'm *sure* it's coming back... and even those of you who fucking hate it will sing along...)
06-06-03 10:35 AM
steel driving hammer After reading it again, it was like I was there.

Great details.

Too bad Keith was out of it though.

I'd love to get the boot and hear for myself.

If the band has to rely on Chuck, thats not a good sign...

And how could the guitars be out of tune?

They have the worlds best guitarologists w/ them IE tunning and polishing.
06-06-03 10:35 AM
parmeda Thank you Mathijs...great detailed review!

I have to agree with you on the conga's...nothing takes the place of the real thing. Good observation!

I have one question, lol...
What did you think of the animation during Honky Tonk Woman?
No one has hit THAT yet in their reviews that I've read so far. Just curious...
06-06-03 10:39 AM
Nellcote Mathis;

On target with your review. When I viewed the feed on rs.com of Heartbreaker, I noticed the Keith bit. I think after several shows, you will see a difference in Keith. Having been as close as yourself for three shows at the B stage, it is the Rosetta Stone, or Holy Grail to view the band so close.

I need not attend any show again, quite frankly.
06-06-03 11:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot Good job Mathy. Thank you for taking the time to write that review for us.

Even though you and I have differing opinions about many things, I am always glad to hear from you.

From your description of the show, it sounds like the band, mostly Keith, needed to shake of some rust. It may take a couple of shows, but he'll be playing like a demon before long.

I know that Chuck Leavell holds together a lot of those songs. He's the safety net. Well, it is my opinion that if that net wasn't there, Keith would be forced to PLAY instead of coast on autoglide.

The chances of that happening are exactly ZERO.

The answer to every question.....Midnight Rambler.
06-06-03 12:36 PM
sonicrock greatly reported, that s not surprising me much, but as heard many 2002/3 boot, i heard some mistakes here and there but not a catastrophic show yet, hope they keep it this way, about keith i was a little about thinking the same as i saw the when the whip comes down tokyo video, he was really out of it, but i ll see paris and see for myself
great job mathijs
06-06-03 01:04 PM
J.J.Flash Good report Mathijs. There are too much important info in your review. Very solid review. Thanks again!!
Cheers!
06-08-03 06:50 AM
F505 The German police started to turn quite nasty at that moment, shouting German commands in our ears

What did you expect: that they shout chinese commands?
06-08-03 11:37 AM
sirmoonie Thank you very much Mathjis, that was a good read.

I hope you can get to a few more shows, and maybe one where the band and Keith are clicking a bit better. I bet Keith comes alive after a few more, and it sounds like he even had a few moments in Munchen that were nice.

Ronnie is hot though, wouldn't you admit?

Too bad about the police, but consider where you were and be glad you're not dead or detained indefinately without charges.
06-09-03 11:14 AM
partner in crime hello fellas out there !
yeah mathijs,
even if I think a musician shouldn't judge another musician, I agree with you about keith: just as I've witnessed last november in LA he is the "missing link" in this tour: great guitars, very nice shirts but he seemed the "double" of himself... a real pity as the band delivered a very good setlist (finally no YGMR no MY no GS played worse show after show ...)and a very good feeling and, last but not least, a very good sound quality: a great show, one of my best ever. I've seen a great band in real good shape, tight and focused even if propelled and boosted by ... who cares!!!
ciao a tutti, hope to see ya all in milan tomorrow night.
marco
p.s. mathijs, what about the guitars shown by the boys ??? is the dan arm lucite the keith's one used in the 70s ? It's a long time I'm not posting on IORR as my boss banned me the site: I miss you, adriano, arno, anybody !!!
06-09-03 01:06 PM
jb Thank you mathjis......I knew you would ultimately breakdown and attend the shows. Your comments about Keith are sad, but true. He use to carry Ronnie for all those years and now he is the "weak-link" ...Also, as I have long said, DJ sucks!!!!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003