ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Internet heroes: Angiegirl, Frank and Strange_Stray_Cat
Vision Zukunftspark, Oberhausen - June 13, 2003

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Olympiahalle, Munich - June 4 - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
06-05-03 03:11 PM
Madafaka Thank you all boys!
06-05-03 03:32 PM
Angiegirl Gruss Gott Munchen!!

Mark (Strange Stray Cat) and me just returned from Munich! Tuesday it took us 11 hours, today back home we did it in 9 hours. Very tired, but it was a gas, gas, gas! My story will be here tomorrow, but just wanted to let you all know that we had a great time. It was fantastic and unreal to see them again, up close, in a smaller venue. The outfits were great, the sound was good and the setlist was good for an opening show. They sincerely enjoyed themselves, as Mick said: "Wir haben richtiger Spass", which means, they were having a great time. Then he kicked Ronnie.
Ronnie really carried the show. His solo in Can't you hear me knocking was awesome.

I had trouble taking pix too, the security guy watched me like a bulldog. I managed to keep my camera though, but I don't know how the pix are gonna turn out. We'll see.

We met Finnish Marko, French Highway Child, Moonisup, and lots of other people from previous tours. It's always like a reunion.

I close with another Mick quote: "It's great to be in Munchen, it's great to be in Germany, it's great to be in Europe again!!!" I agree.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
06-05-03 05:53 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

We met Finnish Marko, French Highway Child, Moonisup, and lots of other people from previous tours. It's always like a reunion
[Edited by Angiegirl]

forgot me real name?? LOL

the show?

well, it was a Mick and Ronnie show,
Heartbreaker, MM and If you can't rock me, where not THAT good, it was an average show,

I had no trouble making pictures, I was right in front of the B-stage, so had a great view on the stage, and they allowed me to take pictures! (26) I hope they work out, I'll see that tomorrow! I really hope that my next show (bercy) will be better!!!!!

Rik
06-05-03 06:34 PM
BillyBoll I'll put something up tomorrow as well but my night was slightly spoiled by an officious bastard trying to take my camera off me which meant that I missed If You Cant Rock Me and Dont Stop.

Still some great stuff, and fuckin' great to see the boys still doing it better than anyone else!
06-05-03 06:36 PM
Moonisup it seems that they where pretty eager to fuck us up with taking of our cameras,

I had NO problems with it at the B-Stage
06-05-03 08:53 PM
steel driving hammer Last night, talking bout last night...

Baby Got Back...

06-05-03 10:12 PM
Lazy Bones Crisp! Now we're fuckin' talkin'!

Cheers.

In that fifth-last picture, isn't that the guitar Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) gave Keith?
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
06-05-03 10:45 PM
steel driving hammer I don't know, it's a good possibility!

Wonder what song he plays w/ that silver Tele.
06-05-03 11:06 PM
telecaster
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
I don't know, it's a good possibility!

Wonder what song he plays w/ that silver Tele.

Satisfaction
06-05-03 11:19 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Satisfaction

Thanks my Wrigley Field Hot Dog Eating Brother!!

Btw, just got 40 Stones shows from my baby Marko by the U.S. Mail!

There so good I don't know What To Do Yeah!

I still smile when I hear "Dumped the wife but kept the Tele" !!!

And 3 Cases of Heineken and a Bottle of Jack gives me the Giddies!

Da Stones!!!
06-06-03 05:47 AM
bootcover First from RS.com

Guitar God

Ronnie plays it hard

Ronnie in a unique position

Ronnie gets intense

On the cigarette !

Met deze "kale" gast (Uwe) ben ik veel opgetrokken de voorgaande concerten

Blondie Chaplin

Determined Mick

Woooooooooh ! Screaming Mick

Mick goin' to the b-stage

06-06-03 08:46 AM
steel driving hammer Great raw pix! Thanks!
06-06-03 09:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Pix by Moonisup

06-06-03 09:35 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
06-06-03 10:19 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Just got home! It was so fucking great to see them again after 4 years! Will post my story later; gotta rest first!
06-06-03 10:45 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Who's that?

-tSYX --- I just wanna testify whachyor love has done for me...
06-06-03 12:56 PM
CS Munich Olympiahalle
Alexis Petridis
Friday June 6, 2003

The Rolling Stones European Tour comes with staggering statistics. We are informed that it takes 53 trucks and a staff of 260 to transport the enterprise around the continent and, inscrutably, that the tour weighs 350 tons. But one figure is more mind-boggling than them all. The collective age of the four remaining Rolling Stones is 237. They are, as Jagger unironically sings during a version of Muddy Waters's I'm A Man, "way past 21".

For the band's live show to work, the audience is required to suspend their disbelief and swallow the line that The Rolling Stones themselves have been peddling since the early 1970s - that they are the world's greatest rock'n'roll band. Sometimes, that's hard to do. As the show opens, they seem shambolic and rusty. They thrash sloppily through Heartbreaker and It's Only Rock and Roll, the sound muddy and indistinct.

When the Rolling Stones play badly, you are left with a pantomime of leathery skin, terrible clothes and ridiculous behaviour. These days, Keith Richards has the sort of face you normally see halfway up a church wall with water gushing from its mouth. He sports a variety of hideous shirts, which flap open as he bends over his guitar to solo, and what looks like a vast white bandage over his thinning hairline. He seems a model of dignified maturity next to Mick Jagger, who gropes a backing vocalist during Honky Tonk Women, and rushes around the stage with his arms extended, flapping his hands, like a man in the gents who has just discovered the hand-drier isn't working.

However, as you are preparing to write the Rolling Stones off as a superannuated embarrassment, something gels. Tumbling Dice staggers forth, still charmingly louche. Richards' appearance gives his solo spot, Before They Make Me Run, an added degree of defiant poignancy. Better still, they repair to a tiny stage in the centre of the arena, and begin playing for their lives: Brown Sugar's arrogant swagger, a ferocious Neighbours. At moments like that, you can almost believe the hype.
06-06-03 04:10 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Ok, here we go,

Finally, we got to Munich last tuesday, after a 11 hour drive with excellent wheater (a bit to hot for me, but what the heck), for my very first opening show.
We went to the Olympia Halle around 11:30, cos we were told that Germans don't queue that early. And they were right; about 40 people at that time, so we stayed in the shadow for a couple of hours and joined with some Dutch friends around 2:00 pm. At 5:00 pm, just before the gates openend, only 100 or so where standing in line, in a very relaxed atmosphere. The gates finally opened at 6:00 pm exactly (well, German precission). That precission wasn't that good inside, because there were absolutly nog signs telling where to go or people to tell you were to go. Fans were running in all directions; I found the floor after all and joined my friends at row 13 or so.

Inside, it was even hotter than outside. There was some cool air, but nearly enough for me. I really liked the Cranberries, although I only knew 1 or 2 songs. And then waiting, waiting, waiting. At 09:30 pm the lights went off. No big bang or whatever, just Keith running to the front of the stage playing the first cords of Street fighting men and Mick shouting "Gruss Gott Munchen!!!". Oh boy, what a great feeling to see them again after 4 years, it was just great. And so was the show. Sure, Keith is not playing that well in a lot of songs, but we got some gems like Heartbreaker, Midnight rambler (excellent version) and Neighbours. Especially Mick and Ronnie were great, they really carried the show. No special effects; just the music on a low stage. I liked that very much. Only special effect was like really big red confetti at the encore (Satisfaction). They were very much into it and obviously very excited to play again. And to be back in Europe; their faces showed they were glad to be in Europe again.

I didn't even try to get pix; the security guy was watching like a dog and I heard some stories about people getting arrested for taking pictures. Camera's where just thrown in the garbage. I just hope that this is not the case with the rest of my shows.

Can't wait for my next show on July 7th at the Bercy in Paris!
06-06-03 08:11 PM
Angiegirl So, here's my story, as I sent it to IORR...my pix aren't that good, but I'll scan them tonight and if they turn out decent, I'll post them here. Very small and dark, but we will see.

My first European tour leg opening show, my 26th Stones show in total. We drove to Munich on Tuesday the 3rd in 11 hours. The weather was fantastic and we met some friends, which is a very weird feeling: seeing people you
know in a city you've never been to! We had burgers at the Hard Rock Cafe, sitting outside, looking at people. After diner, we decided to check out the Four Seasons Hotel, as we knew the Stones would have stopped rehearsing at
the Olympia Halle by then (thank God for modern communication, mobile phones, text messages etc). We got there at 11.30 pm, and only 5 people were hanging around there. We met some other Dutch friends there and we noticed
the side-entrance. So we posted on the corner to keep an eye on both entrances. After some time, 2 security guys came out and walked around at the main entrance. They turned out to be Dutch, from Amsterdam. They told us
the Stones would arrive in 20 minutes or so and that we had to stand back, in line, and if we behaved nicely, they would maybe come to say hi. Around midnight some 30 people were there, with cameras and albums and pens ready.
First van came in, with Bernard, Darryl, Chuck, Lisa and Blondie. Very nice (especially Bernard, he is soooo cute!), they looked tired though. Then came Bobby Keys, who looked awful and got inside immediately. I started to have doubts, because of the side-entrance. One of the Dutch guys, Edwin, then walked up to us and told us Keith had just arrived at the side and got into the hotel! My gut feeling was right. I asked the security in Dutch if they were gonna get in at the side, and he just smiled, so then we knew enough. I started to collect my bag and intended to get around the corner quickly, when Edwin came back and said Mick, Ronnie and Charlie also arrived at the
side and were inside already. Bummer. We were both frustrated and laughing about the diversion the security put up so well. We just took the bait, lol!

The next day, June 4th, we went to the venue a bit later than we are used to in Holland because everyone said the Germans don't queue that early. They were right, I guess only the Dutch are that crazy?! We got at the Olympia
Halle around 11.30 am, and there were only about 30 people at the East entrance. We decided to stay in the shadow a bit longer, sitting in the grass, waiting on our friends. The queue hardly grew in the next hour.
Around 2 pm we joined some friends at the West gates. Lots of nationalities, talking with fans, it was a nice afternoon. At 5 pm the crowd got a bit restless, although we knew the gates were not to be opened until 6. The adrenaline started to flow again. We decided on Keith's side, got our tickets out, threw our water bottles away. The gates opened at 6.10 pm and the security girl hardly searched my bag, so I was confident about my camera. Inside, all security had magically disappeared, no stewarts, nothing. Also no signs telling us which way to go...So we tried out 3 stairs, before we had the correct one, leading down to the floor. It cost us some valuable minutes. So we got in and stood about 15th 'row' next to the catwalk.
I really liked the Cranberries, as I knew much of their songs. Most people disliked them I heard afterwards. After the opener, people pushed a bit so we stood crushed inside the crowd, and it was soooo warm! Sweating, heat, I
really hoped I could get some air once the Stones came out.
At 9.30 pm the lights went out and a minute later Keith stormed onstage with the Street Fighting Man riff. The Halle went nuts, I really loved the enthusiasm and screaming. They did too. The feeling you get when the lights dimm, that feeling of thrill, expectation, ecstasy, pounding heart, that's heavenly. It's so familiar, even after 4 years, it feels like the most special thing. Yours arms raise themselves, pumping up and down and with
some amazement you realize you are screaming your lungs out. It was too hot to jump and wave and sing all together, I was out of breath within 1 minute. I wanted to see everything in one glance, and didn't know where to look
first.

Anyway, after that I calmed down a bit and started to listen to the sound mix, the guitar solos, the drumming, Mick's singing. Lots of people already said a lot about the quality of the show. I must say they are right, it
wasn't the best show I've ever heard, it was good. But because of the feeling and the chemistry, the fire, it felt fantastic. The reasons it wasn't great were Keith, the nerves, maybe the pressure? Keith has lost his touch some, as many people have noticed. I'm no technical connaiseur of guitar playing, but I do hear Keith doesn't play as he used to, even as he used to in the last decade. Don't get me wrong, I am loving every second of
the time I get to see him, but I hear the mistakes, the gaps, the problems with timing too. That's a shame really. I don't know why he plays that way, because of his arthritis, or his age, or a combination, but it's there.
Unfortunately. My ultimate hero anyway, especially when he smiles his shy Keith-smile.
Then again, Ronnie, as we all know, finally lets out what he has inside of him, playing some really great juwels of solos, like in Can't you hear me knocking, Midnight Rambler, the hits, Neighbors. Thank you Ronnie!! And
Mick...well, what can I say about Mick, besides the fact that I adore his shirts this tour. He's the man, he works so incredibly hard on the audience, even in Munich where the audience worked already by themselves. He got great
response from us, and he loved it visibly. He talked some German of course, first off shouting "Gruss Gott M�nchen!", and later telling us they were having "richtiger Spa�" (lots of fun) while he kicked at Ronnie. He also said (in
English) it was time that they got back on tour, that it's better to be on than off and that it was "great to be in Munich, great to be in Germany and really great to be back in Europe".

I thought they were very driven, very into it, interacting with each other a lot, smiling, gesturing, eye-work. Fantastic. In the beginning they were a bit nervous, maybe they wanted to do it completely right, so they would get
positive press and sell out the other German shows? Were they feeling the pressure of conquering the Europeans again? I don't know. But they were very glad with the enthusiasm of the audience. Like during Don't Stop, which was very well received, when the complete Halle clapped and screamed 'Don't Stop' and you could hear the echoes fade away in the silence after that, and Mick stood still, smiling, looking sort of surprised and funny at us. That
was priceless.
If you can't rock me was great to hear, although it was a bit rigid. Monkey Man was flat I thought, and really messy at the end, sort of an anti-climax. It missed the sparks without Lisa. Shame. Why don't they give Bernard more of a chance? Heartbreaker, we were hoping for once we heard they rehearsed it. But the sound wasn't really impressing, Mick tried, but his vocals kinda got lost in the mix, high pitched. And there was a huge mistake in the
middle, where Mick started to early or Keith didn't stop on time, I don't know. Guitars were too loud sometimes, also during HTW and Start me up etc. Can't you hear me knocking was good, the beginning a bit slow, but the solos
of Bobby (fantastic!!), Ronnie (ahhh....) and the lengthy harmonica part by Mick were very well done. They finished it very good. Mick ran out of breath in the heat after his harmonica part and placed his head on Ronnie's shoulder as if he fell asleep, that was very funny. Midnight Rambler, well, that was one of the best versions they have done in
recent years I think. The red lighting is fantastic too. The lighting and the clean stage are beautiful anyway I think, very good. Also the video wall works great, I really liked the graphic stuff and animations. Love in vain was beautiful, like in Landgraaf (Holland) '95, Mick's vocals sending an army of chills down my spine.
Charlie got a standing ovation at the band intros, very European, and really nice. Keith's Slipping Away was intensly done, with Ronnie's beautiful guitar work. Keith sang it very good and enjoyed it sincerely.
B-stage set is difficult to judge if you are standing in the front, because of the distorted sounds from there. Neighbors was fast, very fast, I loved it. I wish I could have seen it closer at the B-stage, that great! Why is it
that the B-stage-sound is so sucky for the people further away, standing near the main stage? With all expensive and modern sound equipment? It took me out of the show a bit.
The red confetti during the encore (Satisfaction) gives a mesmerizing look, much better than the silver and golden stuff from BtB. Really cool.

I had a difficult time taking pictures too, the security bulldog at the catwalk was right next to me, watching me all the time. I had to glance at him and when he looked away, I quickly snapped a shot, but that way I couldn't really focus on the right time and position. Now I know they were chasing cameras like crazy. I hope it won't be like that at the other shows. How childish, I mean, with a disposable camera! Gimme a break.

We were exhausted afterwards, still trying to get that we just saw them live again, up close and personal. We drove back to Holland the next day. Today I was still in heaven thinking back at it all. Now I have to wait another 4 weeks till my next show: Bercy in Paris...

[Edited by Angiegirl]
06-06-03 09:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Other reviews:

06-07-03 10:05 PM
Angiegirl Here are some of my pix. They're not very good, but they're pix, lol. Damn that security pitbull...

06-08-03 12:38 AM
Beastie Bry Damn, Rik, you had some pretty good seats at the B-Stage (judging by the pics).

How was the view from their when they were on the main stage?
06-08-03 04:43 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Beastie Bry wrote:
Damn, Rik, you had some pretty good seats at the B-Stage (judging by the pics).

How was the view from their when they were on the main stage?

haha, it wasn't seated, haha all standing, and the vieuw on the main stage, was also very good, you could see everything on the stage, or you'd look at the screen!

rik

06-08-03 05:18 PM
Beastie Bry Well, I guess I meant seats as where you were located at, not as if you were actually sitting down. I understand that at the European shows it's mostly all standing.

LOL, you should see the shows here in the US. Embarassing. People that had floor seats were actually SITTING DOWN!! All of the chairs on the floor should be abandoned so more people could get into a show.
06-10-03 04:51 PM
moy
06-10-03 05:14 PM
moy
06-10-03 05:37 PM
steel driving hammer Thank you Angiegirl! Nice pics!

Bet you had a great time there that close!
06-10-03 07:24 PM
Angiegirl Thanx. I had a great time indeed!
06-10-03 08:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More B-Stage pix by Moonisup, thanks!!!

06-10-03 09:05 PM
steel driving hammer Moonisup! I wanna testify what your love has done for me!
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003