ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commerzbank Arena, Frankfurt 13th June 2007
© Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007 - Setlist, Photos & Reviews - Part 1 of 2 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
6th June 2007 03:26 PM
tumblingdice01 After watching those videos and esp. Satisfaction, I'm having big second thoughts about the $1500 I just spent to go to London. If they don't do something with Keith I just wasted my money. What a shame he has sunk to this level.
6th June 2007 03:28 PM
Nellcote The only thing pdog, if one wants to pay $500 to see them, they will keep charging this. They have proven people will pay anything to see them, and were one of the first to do so in rock. The cost of admission, sadly, does not come with any sobriety or health guarantee. Sure, one feels like they've been kicked in the jewels, however, the track record for several in this band is one of addiction, which, when left unchecked, or, ignored, will result in these instances.
6th June 2007 03:30 PM
Martha
quote:
tumblingdice01 wrote:
After watching those videos and esp. Satisfaction, I'm having big second thoughts about the $1500 I just spent to go to London. If they don't do something with Keith I just wasted my money. What a shame he has sunk to this level.

After reading all the posts I am now afraid to watch the videos.

Shivering...........
6th June 2007 03:32 PM
Moonisup Sorry Nelly

I understand your point, but we can't compare 72 to 2007. Nor the setlist, nor the performance. Just a different time. A Better one. I don't know, I wasn't there in 72. When I pay 85 euro's and travel half of Holland to see a band I just expect a good show and not a drunk on stage not knowing what to do. Nothing wrong with that I think.
And still when I go, I hope to see a good show, but I will have a good time
6th June 2007 03:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot >It's starting to feel a bit like the line to drink the kool-aid.<

Well, I ain't standing in that line.

And I don't want to make it out like I'm only like this with THIS band. I hold ALL the bands that I love up to the standards that those bands have set up for themselves. I don't care who it is. I would react the same way if it had been The Stooges that sucked...or Radio Birdman...doesn't matter.

Setting the bar high is a double edged sword. If ya can't stay above that bar, you'll get cut to shreds when you go under...
6th June 2007 03:35 PM
mrhipfl I see cancellations in the future.

This whole thing is heartbreaking. I wonder how Keith feels about last night. I bet he doesn't give a fuck. People cheered after the butchered Satisfaction and after the brown sugar.
6th June 2007 03:37 PM
luxury1 Keith, the original punk--he just doesnt give a shit if he's "on" or not. In fact, he most likely thinks it's funny when he is "off." He's always braggin' about how every night each song takes on a new life/direction or whatever. However, I would imagine that must be maddening for a lead singer...

6th June 2007 03:43 PM
Nellcote Moon, watch some of those videos from '72, or the stuff from the UK in 73, The Angie & Dancing with Mr D Don Kirschner stuff. Sure, it's all lip sync, however, he's Kentucky Fried Live. Why was Taylor up front completely, Keith mostly on rhythm? Why was Keith a candidate for dentists world wide? Why could he not even answer a coherent question from John Peel, during an interview before IORR was released? Why was Jagger exclusively handling the bands affairs at the time? Because for five years then, and three beyond this, he was about dead from substance abuse. It does not appear it bothers him morally, as it's just a different type of substance abuse today. I too wish it was different, for they could be more creative than ever. I've come to realize it is what it is, and even with the off times, it's still totally enjoyable.
One cannot ever look for a masterpiece from the Stones everytime. Wishes, in this case, unfortunately, are for Christmas gifts.
[Edited by Nellcote]
6th June 2007 03:43 PM
gimmekeef If all this is true...then Mick wont stand for it...Friday will be very telling in terms of Keith's demeanor...Just when Ronnie seems to get his shit together.....sighhhhhh
6th June 2007 03:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot >However, I would imagine that must be maddening for a lead singer...<

It is Luxy. Having fronted a few bands myself, I can tell you that from experience. It's also maddening for the drummer and bass player. Not so much for a lead guitar player. They'll just turn up, double the rythmn part, and throw some fills in. You know, try to cover.

6th June 2007 03:44 PM
mrhipfl it's maddening for the whole band. I know what it's like to be on stage with someone who doesn't know what he's doing. It fucks up the whole bands' playing. I couldn't imagine being Mick, having to sing along to that crap brown sugar in front of 33,000 fans, acting like everything cool and rocking. This is really fucking sad.
6th June 2007 03:45 PM
pdog
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
The only thing pdog, if one wants to pay $500 to see them, they will keep charging this. They have proven people will pay anything to see them, and were one of the first to do so in rock. The cost of admission, sadly, does not come with any sobriety or health guarantee. Sure, one feels like they've been kicked in the jewels, however, the track record for several in this band is one of addiction, which, when left unchecked, or, ignored, will result in these instances.

It's a mass form of codependance... LOL!
The fans will pay it, and the people close to Keith won't and can't tell him to get it together...

and Martha... Those videos are tough to watch. The quality isn't that bad considering it's one of us with a cam of some kind. You can hear, and see for yourself... Even the decent opening to PIB becomes butchered, Keith is just not in time with the band... Alcohol does effect the hearing, it seems to me at least, he's not hearing the rest of the band, or it's going from ear to brain to fingers with a delay... Whatever the reason, it is sad to watch my life long hero in this state... He is still my hero... Given the chance, I would thank him for all the years, and then tell him how I feel. Not that it would happen, I'm telling you guys instead. The cigar video on RS.com a while back, well it was funny then, but he's acting like this onstage too, and it's not carrying over...
This sucks. I hope things improve...
Buyer beware!
[Edited by pdog]
6th June 2007 03:45 PM
mrhipfl beaten to it by SS!
6th June 2007 03:48 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>However, I would imagine that must be maddening for a lead singer...<

It is Luxy. Having fronted a few bands myself, I can tell you that from experience. It's also maddening for the drummer and bass player. Not so much for a lead guitar player. They'll just turn up, double the rythmn part, and throw some fills in. You know, try to cover.

You can hear Ronnie covering in ever vid clip too. He needs to get props too. He is being allowed to step it up. In past tours you can tell Ronnie was not allowed to do this, where now it is expected.
6th June 2007 03:50 PM
PartyDoll MEG I've seen Keith at his worst, Ronnie screwing up simple guitar solos, and Mick forgetting lyrics and singing in bad voice. But when the concert is over, I have always left with a Stonsian high and saying, "god that was great."

The Stones are not about musical perfection..they never have been. If they can't perform anymore..the press, their fans, and johnqpublic will let them know by not buying their exorbitantly priced tickets!!

If you read most of these fan reviews..they enjoyed the show..just not Keith. And if you ask them if this will be their last show because of it..I think we all know what their answer will be.

My hope is that this was just one of those "Keith moments".. as I don't want to deal with it being the end of the line

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
6th June 2007 03:51 PM
sssoul >> After reading all the posts I am now afraid to watch the videos. <<

pained smile: i know what you mean. but i finally watched Paint It Black and Wanna Hold You - they're both way too low-fidelity to base any musical verdicts on, but "tragedy" is mighty exaggerated. i enjoyed 'em.
6th June 2007 03:52 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

The Stones are not about musical perfection..

I see a HUGE gap between musical perfection and being on stage so fucking drunk.
6th June 2007 03:55 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
sssoul wrote:
pained smile: i know what you mean. but i finally watched Paint It Black and Wanna Hold You - they're both way too low-fidelity to base any musical verdicts on, but "tragedy" is mighty exaggerated. i enjoyed 'em.

Agree to that, sound was really distortet, and also...a few bum notes aside - who can blame them for bumnotes at the tour premiere; remember the 70s and 81? - from what I could catch through the windnoises, it was quite cool at parts
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
6th June 2007 03:56 PM
Martha
quote:
sssoul wrote:
>> After reading all the posts I am now afraid to watch the videos. <<

I will work on my courage....thanks!

xxoo,
Martha
6th June 2007 03:59 PM
pdog 35,000 co-dependants can't be wrong?
6th June 2007 04:06 PM
_Boomy_ This is unbelieveable. When will Keith "grow up"?

He still thinks it's cool to pose with the odd cigarette, be drunk on stage?

This isn't rebellion or being punk. It isn't the days when he could get away with it and most people STILL thought he put on a good show. He's just acting stupid, bar none.

Mick showed a lot of fortitude and quit some things (smoking, probably any heavy drinking he did) because he probably realized that he was getting older and that it was starting to look stupid (even though he still loves da pussy, and that ain't a crime!). Keith should have followed suit, but he has to put on some kind of show with this..............and it's getting old!

Damn......I love Keith so much I'm willing to state the facts. Come on Keith....step up your motherfucking game and don't let us down!!!! Quit rambling on about Ronnie, Mick's solo work, "posers" in the industry and just worry about playing the right notes when you have to. PLEASE! With a cherry on top!
6th June 2007 04:07 PM
Stray Cat UK Stu would have had the balls to tell it like it is to Keith. He must be spinning in his grave

sc uk
6th June 2007 04:08 PM
pdog
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Stu would have had the balls to tell it like it is to Keith. He must be spinning in his grave

sc uk

Funny you mention dead Stones, yes, i consider Stu a Stone. anyway, i swear to God, i thought Keith was Brian playing Popeye the sailor on Satisfaction like Brian did a few times....
6th June 2007 04:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
I've seen Keith at his worst, Ronnie screwing up simple guitar solos, and Mick forgetting lyrics and singing in bad voice. But when the concert is over, I have always left with a Stonsian high and saying, "god that was great."

The Stones are not about musical perfection..they never have been. If they can't perform anymore..the press, their fans, and johnqpublic will let them know by not buying their exorbitantly priced tickets!!

When you charge a lot of money for a ticket, you're automatically setting high expectations to live up to in terms of performance, spectacle etc. Its a different world or expectation now when people paid a few quid to see a show and it didnt matter THAT much if the band were a bit stoned or turned up late. If the Stones can change the rules for a show from the artist's perspective by charging so much, then it follows that the audience's demands and expectations will also change to reflect that.

Lack of musical perfection I have no problem in accepting, but even taking into account that these things are being based on lo-fi recordings and I'm only basing any critique by taking what others are saying at face value, theres absolutely no excuse in this day and age for charging people a lot of money to be entertained and then turning up pissed as a fart.
[Edited by Gazza]
6th June 2007 04:14 PM
gimmekeef I repeat...has anyone that was actually THERE slagged em and said they got ripped off?
6th June 2007 04:21 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

When you charge a lot of money for a ticket, you're automatically setting high expectations to live up to in terms of performance, spectacle etc. Its a different world or expectation now when people paid a few quid to see a show and it didnt matter THAT much if the band were a bit stoned or turned up late. If the Stones can change the rules for a show from the artist's perspective by charging so much, then it follows that the audience's demands and expectations will also change to reflect that.

Lack of musical perfection I have no problem in accepting, but even taking into account that these things are being based on lo-fi recordings and I'm only basing any critique by taking what others are saying at face value, theres absolutely no excuse in this day and age for charging people a lot of money to be entertained and then turning up pissed as a fart.
[Edited by Gazza]

I agree with you, Gazza.
I haven't listened/seen the the clips yet, and I wasn't at the show, so it is hard to voice an opinion.

Putting Ticket prices aside, there is no way I am excusing Keith's behavior. If his performance continues on this level ( if it is truly bad), our great Stones will become fodder for the press...

and the gig will be over
6th June 2007 04:21 PM
Stray Cat UK As a guitar player and in his attitude to the audience he's turning into his hero, Chuck Berry .

Get it together or we'll demand refunds !

You're 63 - for fuck's sake get some help !

I'm sooooooooo sad .

sc uk
6th June 2007 04:22 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I repeat...has anyone that was actually THERE slagged em and said they got ripped off?

Can you scream that a little louder, gimmekeef?

I don't think they heard you
6th June 2007 04:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I repeat...has anyone that was actually THERE slagged em and said they got ripped off?

I havent seen any reviews here or on IORR that criticised Keith, Woody or Charlie's performance or complained about the setlist. People seemed to have a good time, although some expressed 'reservations'

For Keith, the reviews vary from the "so he was drunk - so what? It's still all wonderful" extreme to those who thought his performance was horrific.
6th June 2007 04:23 PM
pdog
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I won't pay to see them again... I have stated this, and wasn't going to pay to see them in Oakland last year, went b/c monkeyman got me free tickets. After AC was postponed, they rescheduled Oakland and I refunded all my tickets.
I'm not a person who would go see a Mick Jagger solo concert, and that's what I feel I've seen in all the shows for the ABB tour.
As far as last nights show, I'm curious too... The poster of the vids didn't exactly give us a thumbs up...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)