ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's Bag Of Tricks Return to archive
5th June 2004 01:06 PM
penatonic fix

Why have the guitar gods of the world not really used much of open tunings(except for their work on slide) and used the capoe.

Was the positioning of the fretboard and their technique in direct contrast to playing in opening tunings or using a capoe.

Is being a guitar wizard always using your four fingers to the max playing up and down the scales

Did the use of open tunings limit their scale runs or what they could do with a solo.If you play in open G you can still play alot of the solo on the B,G,and D strings and find other notes at other fret positions.
Keith Richards I think showed all the great guitarits what could be done with open tunings and the use of the capoe. If you never saw Keith Richards play and just listened to lets say Midnight Rambler you would think that on his parts he was doing something amazing on the fretboard but in reality he was just playing in standard tuning capoe at 7 fret and chomped down on the chords on that famous part when jagger is on the floor.That attiude and energy that he delivered is what rock and roll is all about.
If anyone wants to learn guitar one way would be to
listen to Beggars Banquet and learn all those open tunings and fingerpicking style Keith did on that record.He really matured on the guitar with that record because he used open tunings and other new acoustic stuff he learned from Gram Parsons.
Is it a sellout to use a capoe when you play electric live no way if you can get the sound and performance you want
Don,t you get bored sometimes when you sit down with another player and play in standard tunings.I think it is a creative way to find a new life for a song if one plays
in open and the other player in open tuning.

5th June 2004 01:11 PM
Bloozehound
5th June 2004 03:48 PM
scratched
5th June 2004 07:14 PM
Taptrick I think this is a good observation. I believe the reason is the blues scale is just so powerful, appealing, and dominant. So if you are going to solo all over the place ala Hendrix - you will tend to do that in the blues scale. You learn from what you know and are exposed to. I don't think the open tuning players have really taken the time to learn adapt scales to such a level that they could literally improvise extensive solos in the way a blues player would. So the tunings have really been utilized more for experimenting with chords than anything else. And no I don't think the capo is a crutch. Listen to Tangled Up In BLue. If I remember Dylan utiliuzes a standard tuning and two capo positions on three guitars simultaneously to creative a beautiful layered effect you would never get with just standard tunings. It often allows you to add much higher notes into what is normally an open chord hand position.

[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
5th June 2004 07:51 PM
scratched The 'blues' scale is different to the pentatonic scale.
5th June 2004 08:23 PM
Taptrick

Correct. I didn't mean to imply its not. I figured Mr. Pentatonic was talking about blues scales since that's the crucial sclale in most blues based rock.
6th June 2004 08:52 AM
penatonic fix Keith really can,t play a 12 bar blues scale and a solo like Clapton or other players,he developed his own sound and style and techniques to play the blues and his use of the penatonic box over the years.

Keith's most melodic extended solo I saw was his solo on Locked Away during the 1993 tour with the Winos.