ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Song Writing Keith and Taylor Return to archive
5th June 2004 12:58 PM
penatonic fix

Could Keith Richards sit down and write a music composition like Spanish A Minor probably not or if he could he would come up way short.My guess is that if Keith did try something like that he would start off the piece on piano much like MT.Many compositions are created on piano and then later arranged on guitar is what I am learning.

Could MT write songs the way KR proved probably not if he could he would of wrote alot more songs by know and put out more solo records.The point I am making is that writing songs,riffs, is just as hard and difficult for the artist as sitting down and playing a wailing solo.True MT did not get an opportunity to write songs with the stones except for the riff on ventilator blues so he had to lay down some
music compositions when he got his chance on SWAY, MOONLIGHT,CYHMK,WINTER,TIME WAITS,these solos were his time to shine and his parts where like separte parts to those songs it was his half of the song and Jaggers other half and performance of the song.It was like in a way him breaking out of the band and stones structure to go off and show his talents because the band in whole was always the focus and centerpiece rather than one individual.
So whats more important the song foundation and chords written and the performance of the overall band or MT's solo during the 72/73 tour.Yes MT added so much to those songs and should of got more credit but without the songs then nothing happens for the stones and MT.MT did not make the stones the greatest act he helped greatly but jagger did his thing being the best frontman in rock and Keith's amazing rhytm guitar gave MT the foundation to play those bluesy melodic solos.It all starts and ends with the songs if they suck then no wailing or solo can save them.

MT is a brilliant guitar player and composer of music but has not proved he is a great songwriter or leader of a band
or group.He choose to go solo and that was his worst mistake because it seems to me he never had the real motivation to suceed as a solo artist.Keith has always showed more love and energy for the music then most rock artists and is still finding new ways to recreate his sound and style today.

Keith did his thing which was as important as what MT
brought to the table and to the stones.Some think that
it was just MT playing his ass out on those 72/73 boots
but put the headsets on and listen to Keith;s overall parts
yes he hit some bum notes but rock and roll is more than
that like when Keith got in a groove and stomped and counted
down the rhythm with his famous boots and the band got in that groove for MT to come in and play his melodic solos.

What do you think when you sit down and listen to the guitar duo no band came close to what the stones did during the 72/73 tours.

5th June 2004 04:23 PM
souldoggie Nice, thanks, really enjoyed this post. Lot of truth in there.
5th June 2004 06:53 PM
Mathijs but try some commas next time.
6th June 2004 09:28 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
but try some commas next time.

Be nice. The guy writes a nice piece and you trash him about his English wih bad English?

6th June 2004 07:51 PM
scratched
quote:
exilestones@netscape wrote:
wih bad English?

Unfortunate. You nearly had a point.
7th June 2004 07:38 AM
Mathijs if you read more carefull next time, you would have seen that I fully agrea with souldaggie, but I advice to use commas the next time as his pieces are very hard to read.

Mathijs