ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Silver Train 1973 (your advice?) Return to archive
1st June 2004 12:16 PM
piratekeef I just flipped thru the cd's I have, and noticed I have not a single recording of 'Silver Train' from the 1973 European tour. What recording is worth listening to? Anyone would engage in a trade?! Your list gets mine....

PIRATEKEEF
1st June 2004 12:32 PM
Bloozehound Not sure about the Stones, but for what it's worth check out the live version of "Silver Train" on Johnny Winter's 1974 live boot KBFH SAN DIEGO - it fukn smokes, great rockin blooze
1st June 2004 12:33 PM
jb
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Not sure about the Stones, but for what it's worth check out the live version of "Silver Train" on Johnny Winter's 1974 live boot KBFH SAN DIEGO - it fukn smokes, great rockin blooze

1st June 2004 12:35 PM
Bloozehound http://www.y2khai.com/khai01.html
1st June 2004 12:36 PM
erikjjf They played Silver Train in Vienna, 1973.
1st June 2004 12:39 PM
jb Soundboard or audience?
1st June 2004 01:48 PM
marko Audience.They did it probaply 6 or 7times,then dropped it.
It actually didn�t work at all,100 years ago worked better.
2nd June 2004 06:51 AM
piratekeef Thanks for all the comments that at least shed some light on the matter.
Regarding the 1973 tour, I happen to have a LPset called "The Boys At The Alamo Story" (1973 Europe tour compilation). The sleeve note says it was recorded at Aarhus, Denmark. That location is definitely wrong as there's no Aarhus recording around as far as I know. Can somebody please tell me, where the individual songs were culled from?
2nd June 2004 07:13 AM
Gazza I think the "Alamo" boot is the usual KBFH recordings - havent heard it in a while so I'd have to check. Its definitely NOT Aarhus as you correctly say.

"Silver Train" was first performed in Vienna on 1st September 1973 at the start of the tour, then again at the 2nd Cologne show on 4th September and the opening night in London on 7th September. All 3 versions are in circulation as audience recordings. It wasnt played in Mannheim on 3rd September but it MAY have been played at the 1st Cologne show on 4th September but isnt on the circulating, incomplete tape. It was then dropped after the fifth show of the tour (London 7/9/73) because Keith felt it sounded too much like "All down the line" when played live and it has never been played since, although it was rehearsed in Toronto for the Licks tour

See our setlists page for info:

http://www.rocksoff.org/1973b.htm

[Edited by Gazza]
2nd June 2004 12:33 PM
scratched
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It was then dropped after the fifth show of the tour (London 7/9/73) because Keith felt it sounded too much like "All down the line" when played live

I have an mp3 of Silver Train from '73 somewhere (not sure which date though). I agree, it does sound very similar to All Down The Line. As I remember, Little Mick's slide part along with Keith's boogie style rhythm is almost identical to the live ADTL.
2nd June 2004 03:55 PM
jb What is snailmail?
2nd June 2004 04:01 PM
beer
quote:
jb wrote:
What is snailmail?

something french people eat.
4th June 2004 09:08 AM
corgi37 I like ADTHL, but would forgo the dubious pleasure of hearing it yet again, in favour of Silver Train. Mixing it up a bit, thats the key to life. That, and coming on this board amongst the royalty of Stones fans.
4th June 2004 09:41 AM
Gazza >That, and coming on this board amongst the royalty of Stones fans.

er...would you care to re-phrase that last sentence?
4th June 2004 10:06 AM
BillyBoll Thought my keyboard was sticking a little!
4th June 2004 12:05 PM
Joey
quote:
BillyBoll wrote:
Thought my keyboard was sticking a little!