ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Alvin Lee / Scotty Moore (nsc) Return to archive
31st May 2004 06:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Alvin Lee is Joined by Scotty Moore on New Album, 'Alvin Lee In Tennessee'

Alvin Lee, of Ten Years After fame, features legendary Elvis Presley band members Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana on his new studio album, 'Alvin Lee In Tennessee.'

(PRWEB) --ALVIN LEE is returning to his musical roots on his new CD, ALVIN LEE IN TENNESSEE, out in May on Rainman Records. On his 25th album, the legendary singer and guitarist--of Ten Years After fame--is joined by his own musical heroes, former Elvis Presley guitarist Scotty Moore and drummer DJ Fontana, to cook up an authentic blend of rockabilly and blues. LEE will mark the album�s release with a six-week co-headlining tour of the U.K. with Edgar Winter that launches April 17 in Oxford, England and wraps May 27 at London�s famed Royal Albert Hall. A U.S. tour is expected this summer.

Ever since he picked up his first electric guitar (a Guyatone) as a kid back in Nottingham, England, LEE heard the call coming from Nashville, in the form of Scotty Moore's gritty, soulful playing on "Heartbreak Hotel" and other Elvis hits.

As he assured a local newspaper back in 1967, on the eve of his own worldwide acclaim for his instrumental wizardry with Ten Years After, Moore was his favorite player. Those rockabilly licks burned into Lee's brain and helped spark the fire in his playing--a fire that would engulf the world with his history-making solo through "I'm Going Home" at Woodstock '69. By the time the two guitarists crossed paths and briefly played together in London back in '99, Lee knew that he had no choice but to get into the studio and tear it up with his hero.

Flash forward a few years and Lee�s getting off the plane in Nashville with his "Big Red" Gibson 335 guitar in hand, ready to record a new album with Moore. To make the sessions a truly special event, the recording took place in a space Moore built into his own basement. Not only that: the band that would gather there was probably the finest that could be assembled for a few days of pure rock & roll: D.J. Fontana, the rhythm dynamo on all those Moore sessions with Elvis, would lay down his no-nonsense, nothing-but-the-groove backbeat on drums. Pete Pritchard, a co-founder of the respected Alligator label, would slap, hammer, and lock his acoustic bass line into the rhythm, just as he had done on records with Chuck Berry, Bill Haley & His Comets, and other masters of the craft. And the organ and piano would be manned by Willie Rainsford, who has been summoned to record or tour with Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Marty Robbins, Steve Earle, Dottie West and countless other artists who know great keyboard playing when they hear it.

The results jump from the surface of Alvin Lee In Tennessee. Lee may never have had a band as tight and soulful as these all-stars. There's not a wasted note in the pop of Fontana's snare or Pritchard's prowling bass. And there isn't a band alive that can play pure rock and old-school R&B like these guys either. You won't hear any fancy effects, unless you count that slapback on some of Lee's lead vocals. Every song in this set exists for one purpose only: to inspire the band to hit it with passion and joy. And every lick they play is aimed right at you, with the intention of getting you out of that chair and up on your feet.

Jump right in with the opening track, "Let's Boogie," on which Lee digs into the beat with a sound and feel that recalls Western swing as much as boogie-woogie. Follow it with "Rock & Roll Girls," where the guitar changes hats and evokes the tone and feel of classic Chuck Berry--with a hint of Little Richard tossed in on the piano. Vintage Chicago R&B sets the mood on "Take My Time" and "Let's Get It On"--check out Lee's chords and fills, which take us back to some Southside lounge circa the late forties. "Getting Nowhere Fast" offers an acoustic moment, though the restlessness in the interplay between the guitars that keeps us from kicking back too far. There's much more too, all leading to a remake of Lee's Woodstock tour de force, but this time "I'm Going Home" carries a double message: There in Scotty Moore's studio, he actually has gone home.

No doubt Alvin Lee has plenty yet to do in music. Ditto for Scotty, D.J., and the rest. But with In Tennessee he's reached at least one of his goals. No matter what happens now, he can pack this music into his memory and take it wherever he goes.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
2nd June 2004 03:05 PM
jb Thanks Motherbaby...great article!!!
2nd June 2004 03:12 PM
Joey Thanks TTM ...Great article!!!
2nd June 2004 03:56 PM
Sleepy Joe Presley Scotty has slowed down quite a bit. Anyone see him a few years ago w/Lee Rocker?
2nd June 2004 03:58 PM
jb Agreed..Scotty really has slowed down.
2nd June 2004 04:07 PM
Joey

Yeah , Why IS Scotty slowing down ?!?!?!
2nd June 2004 04:09 PM
jb I think it's his diet? Too many carbs!!!
2nd June 2004 04:12 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I think it's his diet? Too many carbs!!!

Good point , I bet he is " Backed Up " most of the time .

Oh , Oh !!!! .......... I sure in the Hell wish I hadn't said that :

Developing ..........................literally

**************** END TRANSMISSION *********************
2nd June 2004 05:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Motherbaby...great article!!!

Well it sounds like a record worth having to me.
2nd June 2004 05:57 PM
Bloozehound Yeah that definitely sounds like it could be a great record. Thanks or the heads up TTM

I really enjoyed D.J. Fontana & Scotty Moore's "All the Kings Men" album - especially the track with Keef "Deuce and Quarter"
3rd June 2004 07:30 AM
Zack Yeah, but the fact the leadoff track is called "Let's Boogie" doesn't bode well for the album lyrically, does it.

Alvin has made the same album over and over again 24 times. Are these fossilized sidemen going to make any difference when he starts to solo ad infinitum?

Just askin'.

P.S. Picked up TYA at Fillmore a few months back. Sounded just like Recorded Live (only longer).
3rd June 2004 09:26 AM
jb
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Yeah that definitely sounds like it could be a great record. Thanks or the heads up TTM

I really enjoyed D.J. Fontana & Scotty Moore's "All the Kings Men" album - especially the track with Keef "Deuce and Quarter"

3rd June 2004 10:36 AM
Joey
quote:
Zack wrote:
Yeah, but the fact the leadoff track is called "Let's Boogie" doesn't bode well for the album lyrically, does it.

Alvin has made the same album over and over again 24 times. Are these fossilized sidemen going to make any difference when he starts to solo ad infinitum?

Just askin'.

P.S. Picked up TYA at Fillmore a few months back. Sounded just like Recorded Live (only longer).

...........are you any relation to Zak Starkey ?!?!

3rd June 2004 10:38 AM
jb Funny Joey...too funny!!!
3rd June 2004 10:39 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Funny Joey...too funny!!!

4th June 2004 12:08 AM
Zack
Yes Joey, as a matter of fact, Zak is my brother. I am Ringo's love child from a tryst with a groupie in Sheboygan on the 64 tour. Like George Foreman, Ringo named all his sons "Zack" but differed the spelling to tell us apart. You may know my other brothers Zac and Zach.

Are you any relation to Joey Buttafuco? Joey Bishop? Are you a baby kangaroo?

4th June 2004 01:02 PM
Joey
" Yes Joey, as a matter of fact, Zak is my brother. I am Ringo's love child from a tryst with a groupie in Sheboygan on the 64 tour. Like George Foreman, Ringo named all his sons "Zack" but differed the spelling to tell us apart. You may know my other brothers Zac and Zach. "

You make Joey smile .

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhat ?!?!?! Oh , sure :

http://www.kathyszaksite.com/

Skurzee !