ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1981 Live Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd June 2004 10:54 PM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Anyone ever heard of a Boulder SBD from '81?
That was two very fine days in the sun at Folsom Field!

There a Blouder track or two (soundboard) on Ride Like The Wind.
2nd June 2004 10:54 PM
exilestones@netscape How did Ernie Watts get on the 81 tour?
3rd June 2004 02:09 AM
marko How did Ernie Watts get on the 81 tour?

Well,i�m not sure but,i think because BOBBY was very out of
it,drunken bastard he was,also very deep in cocaine.They
needed someone very good.(mick).

I also remember that Ronnie was also nearly fired,because of
his drug/alcohol use.
3rd June 2004 10:19 AM
jb Earnie was great, but like Stu, really did not fit on stage with the band...is he still alive?
3rd June 2004 10:25 AM
F505 And what is his relation with Charlie?
3rd June 2004 10:27 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
And what is his relation with Charlie?

Interesting observation...are there familial ties?
3rd June 2004 10:30 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Earnie was great, but like Stu, really did not fit on stage with the band...is he still alive?

Googling ...........................................

Will Report Back Very Soon !

Bercee
3rd June 2004 10:32 AM
F505
quote:
Joey wrote:

Googling ...........................................

Will Report Back Very Soon !

Bercee

Maybe you can also find out if he is related to Charlie.
3rd June 2004 10:35 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:

Maybe you can also find out if he is related to Charlie.

Yeh Joey, that would be interesting to know...thanks in advance for takin g the time to research the matter.
3rd June 2004 10:38 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Yeh Joey, that would be interesting to know...thanks in advance for takin g the time to research the matter.

Developing .......................................
3rd June 2004 10:39 AM
jb You're the best!!!
3rd June 2004 10:41 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
You're the best!!!

http://www.erniewatts.com/discography/reaching_up.html
3rd June 2004 10:43 AM
jb Nat Hentoff.....lol
3rd June 2004 10:43 AM
Joey

Ernie ...........................................

" Watts first picked up the saxophone at age 13 and eventually won a scholarship to the Wilmington Music School in Delaware, where he studied classical music. Although he would enroll at West Chester University en route to becoming a music educator, he soon won a Downbeat Scholarship to the Berklee College Of Music. When Gene Quill left Buddy Rich's band, trombonist Phil Wilson (a teacher at Berklee) was asked to recommend a replacement, and Watts got the job. Watts departed Berklee for the important stint with Rich's big band (1966-1968) before moving to Los Angeles. Once situated in southern California, Watts worked in the big bands of Oliver Nelson and Gerald Wilson and became a staff musician for NBC, performing regularly with The Tonight Show Band.

Throughout the 1970's and 1980's Watts' signature sound found its way on to the recordings of music's biggest names. A partial list of his credits includes Cannonball Adderley, Quincy Jones, the Rolling Stones (including their 1981 tour and film Let's Spend The Night Together), Frank Zappa, Carole King, Neil Diamond, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Rickie Lee Jones, Whitney Houston, Steely Dan, T-Bone Walker, Chaka Khan, Billy Cobham, Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour and Patrice Rushen among many others. He has appeared on many film and television scores (including The Fabulous Baker Boys, Ghostbusters, Tootsie, Arthur, The Color Purple, Fame, Night Court, Benson and Dynasty). His own recordings in the pop/crossover field include his version of Chariots Of Fire, which in 1983 won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental. The artist went on to capture a second Grammy in 1985 for Best Rhythm and Blues Instrumental, honoring his Qwest/Warner Bros. recording, Musican.

After years in the studios, Watts now chooses a different path for his creativity. Although he takes occasional session work, the breadth of his musical activities has grown. He plays and records regularly with Charlie Haden's award winning Quartet West (a group also including pianist Alan Broadbent and drummer Larance Marable), and on occasion sits in with Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra. In addition to keeping The Ernie Watts Quartet active with concert appearances, Watts travels the world conducting music workshops for all student levels. He has also compiled a collection of orchestral arrangements, which he uses as a guest soloist with symphonies around the country.

Watts eclectic mix of career activities has expanded in almost every direction and the artistic evolution is far from finished. Watts' hearty tone and melodic improvisations keep him in demand by artists such as Billy Taylor for "Jazz at The Kennedy Center" and Mark Isham for a live performance of the film score from "After Glow." He joined Gene Harris for his last recording "Alley Cats" recorded live at Jazz Alley in Seattle. For Ernie Watts, all of his past success, and all that the future has to offer comes down to just one thing - playing the music. "Whatever I play, whenever I play, whether it's on stage or in the studio, by myself or in front of an audience, whenever I pick up my instrument, the music is the priority. For me, the main thing is just to be playing, because in that way, I will always have the opportunity to keep that growth cycle going."

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jazzy !
3rd June 2004 10:44 AM
jb I guess he is not related to Charlie.
3rd June 2004 10:53 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
I guess he is not related to Charlie.

No, although they have a similar interest in jazz....
3rd June 2004 10:55 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I guess he is not related to Charlie.

3rd June 2004 11:45 AM
glencar Ernie Watts is a black American. Why would you two knuckleheads have thought he was related to Charlie? Seriously, man...
3rd June 2004 11:54 AM
Nasty Habits Too bad about New Orleans -- that "Let It Bleed" is spectacular and has one of my favorite Wyman performances ever on it.

3rd June 2004 12:12 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ernie Watts is a black American. Why would you two knuckleheads have thought he was related to Charlie? Seriously, man...

He doesn't look black?
4th June 2004 10:00 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
He doesn't look black?

Indeed!
4th June 2004 12:06 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ernie Watts is a black American. Why would you two knuckleheads have thought he was related to Charlie? Seriously, man...

4th June 2004 11:26 PM
BILL PERKS ERNIE'S AS BLACK AS JB IS...HE WAS INCREDIBLE ON THAT TOUR..IF MICK HAD HIS WAY BOBBY WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ON THAT TOUR AT ALL..IN FACT,IN 89,KEYS WAS NOT GOING TO BE ON THE TOUR TILL MIDWAY THRU REHEARSALS KEEF TALKED MICK INTO IT.
5th June 2004 12:30 AM
Scottfree
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
ERNIE'S AS BLACK AS JB IS...HE WAS INCREDIBLE ON THAT TOUR..IF MICK HAD HIS WAY BOBBY WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ON THAT TOUR AT ALL..IN FACT,IN 89,KEYS WAS NOT GOING TO BE ON THE TOUR TILL MIDWAY THRU REHEARSALS KEEF TALKED MICK INTO IT.

I like Bill Perks with every fiber of my soul.....
6th June 2004 10:07 AM
F505
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
ERNIE'S AS BLACK AS JB IS...HE WAS INCREDIBLE ON THAT TOUR..I

would have been a great line up in the early eighties for some smoking jazz: Charlie Watts (d), Darryl Jones (b), Ernie Watts (ts), Sonny Rollins (ts) (why didn't they invite him on the tour: his playing on Tattoo You is excellent) and Ian Stewart (p)
Page: 1 2