ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1981 Live Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th May 2004 09:04 AM
exilestones@netscape Speaking of 1981 live...I really like it. Still Life is a great album that maybe some take for granted. Under My Thumb and Let's Spend the Night Together are great versions. Just My Imagination is great too. 20 Flight Rock is played well but I'm not crazy over it. Time is on My Side is awesome!

On the King Biscuit Flower Hour there's Let It Bleed and Black Limo which are great and available on bootlegs.
27th May 2004 09:10 AM
marko Once again,i must say,its my favorite tour of all time.
1981-1982.It started very sloppy,but after 5first shows,band
was on fire,most of the tour,and they still improvised a
lot.Best example is Cologne-82 shows.First shows runs 125mins,while 2nd day is 140mins.Exactly the same sets.And
in same order.Theres tons of great bootlegs from this tour.
27th May 2004 04:30 PM
F505 just bought one today: Philly 1981. Indeed a bit sloppy but what a setlist: Black Limousine, Down the Road Apiece and Mona in a row!!! What a great album Still Life could have been if it had these songs and ofcourse Let it Bleed, Beast of Burden, Waiting On A Friend, You Can't Always Get, When The Whip Comes Down, All Down the Line.... Many of the 81 boots exceed Still Life which is a weak extract from a great tour.
27th May 2004 04:34 PM
jb Thanks F505...nice post.
27th May 2004 05:17 PM
jpenn11 The early Philly shows are without saxophone. Some regard that as a significant plus, given the eventual saxophonist for the tour. Depends upon your preference.

There is now a soundboard of one Philly show. I believe it include Tops and some other 1981 rarities.
27th May 2004 05:23 PM
F505 Mine is soundboard and indeed without sax but with very prominent piano playing by Ian Stewart.
27th May 2004 06:10 PM
Lil Brian Anyone ever heard of a Boulder SBD from '81?
That was two very fine days in the sun at Folsom Field!
27th May 2004 08:51 PM
glencar Tops in Philly wasn't well-received. Mick said something at the end about how people didn't know it.
27th May 2004 09:40 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Anyone ever heard of a Boulder SBD from '81?
That was two very fine days in the sun at Folsom Field!

"Drive Carefully" (VGP-291) is a boot of that Boulder show. I don't know if it's soundboard, though...
27th May 2004 10:01 PM
cwatts0462
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

"Drive Carefully" (VGP-291) is a boot of that Boulder show. I don't know if it's soundboard, though...

its audience with three soundboard tracks from the following day
27th May 2004 10:23 PM
mac_daddy "ride like the wind" is pretty sweet (one of those 4 disc rattlesnake jobs). the shows are from sun devil stadium (ASU). It, like "handsome girls" is the same show twice, and it is taken from recordings done for a KBFH (I think) - as is "hg" if I am not mistaken...

jersey devils is good, it sounds offspeed to me...

the soundtrack to the Hampton DVD is quite solid - if I cannot find a good source of that, I might have to rip the audio from the dvd myself...
28th May 2004 12:15 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
F505 wrote:
.... Many of the 81 boots exceed Still Life which is a weak extract from a great tour.

Unfortunately, I don't have any boots of 81 and listening to Still Life just doesn't do justice to the sound I heard on that tour when I saw them in Buffalo, Syracuse, and Detroit. I absolutely loved that tour.

Buffalo 81:
It was the glorious days of general admission so...
I went to Rich Stadium three days before the show to be 'front of the line' and I was rewarded with a standing spot right in front of the stage although I had to contend with a football field full of fans pushing me into the security barricade. After suffering through Journey (remember them?) during a torrential downpour, and enjoying some George Thorogood, the sun broke through the clouds when the Stones took the stage and I was blinded by Bill's lemon yellow suit.
...Great Show...
Near the end during Street Fighting Man, Mick ran across the stage throwing out red carnations and a minor panic ensued as everyone jostled, jumped and bumped to try and grab one. One came flying my way and I snagged it. What a great momento, or so I thought, because a milli-second later some bastard ripped the flower off for himself and I was left with a pathetic looking flowerless stem clenched in my fist.
I felt like Charlie Brown.
28th May 2004 12:41 AM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
"ride like the wind" is pretty sweet (one of those 4 disc rattlesnake jobs). the shows are from sun devil stadium (ASU). It, like "handsome girls" is the same show twice, and it is taken from recordings done for a KBFH (I think) - as is "hg" if I am not mistaken...

Ride like the Wind is Tempe Sun Devil's show (2 CDs) and the rest is mostly King Biscuit tracks (except for New York and with Muddy Waters in Chicago)

quote:

jersey devils is good, it sounds offspeed to me...

I don't like the sound on Jesery Devils

quote:

the soundtrack to the Hampton DVD is quite solid - if I cannot find a good source of that, I might have to rip the audio from the dvd myself...

There is no great boot of Hampton 1981 on CD. I found this on the net.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ethomas/cdr/rolling_stones.htm

Title: Sweet Virginia '81
Label:
Date: December 18, 1981, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton Roads, Virginia
Source: Soundboard
Rating: This is my own creation. I taped the original radio and video broadcast back in 1981. My copy is definitely superior to the source tape used for the Swingin' Pig "Hampton '81" release which runs too slow causing the songs to sound "sluggish". The only problem with my copy is that I was forced to turn over the second tape during "Start Me Up" so there is approximately 7 seconds of the song missing from the stereo source. I edited in the missing 7 seconds from the mono video broadcast so the song is complete, but there is a noticeable difference in sound quality during this short segment due to the mono source. My copy even includes Jimi Hendrix's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" which was used to close the concert.
Artwork: Copies available via e-mail.
CD1
Under My Thumb
When The Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend The Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination
Twenty Flight Rock
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting On A Friend CD2
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Introduction
Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
Jumping Jack Flash
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
28th May 2004 12:48 AM
exilestones@netscape Time is on Our Side boot is King Biscuit tracks put together as a whole show. Hampton is a great 1981 concert.

28th May 2004 06:55 AM
marko I think swingin pig has the best version of Hampton.
28th May 2004 07:11 AM
Nellcote exile, you have mail......
28th May 2004 07:15 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

Buffalo 81:
I went to Rich Stadium three days before the show to be 'front of the line' and I was rewarded with a standing spot right in front of the stage although I had to contend with a football field full of fans pushing me into the security barricade. After suffering through Journey (remember them?) during a torrential downpour, and enjoying some George Thorogood, the sun broke through the clouds when the Stones took the stage and I was blinded by Bill's lemon yellow suit.
...Great Show...

Hey Mr. Jimmy..I was there too. But I stayed away from the floor. Made it to the front in '75 and '78 so at the "old age" of 21, I decided to stay in my seat in '81!!! LOL.

Only Stones show I've ever seen in daylight! Good memories!

LJ.
28th May 2004 07:24 AM
marko They did first couple shows in daylight.Philly,Buffalo,and
Denver.And also Orlando later on.
I have nice aud boot of Buffalo.And some clips on video.
28th May 2004 07:52 AM
UGot2Rollme I was at the 2nd Philly '81 show, and it was a glorious day. I distinctly remember Keith smiling and strapping on his tele right before Tumbling Dice and then playing the lead solo. Mona was a song I'd never heard, which was also nice... I reviewed the concert for my school newspaper. Will try to find it and post it later.

I agree Still Life is a very poor reflection of the tour.
28th May 2004 07:33 PM
cwatts0462
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I was at the 2nd Philly '81 show, and it was a glorious day. I distinctly remember Keith smiling and strapping on his tele right before Tumbling Dice and then playing the lead solo. Mona was a song I'd never heard, which was also nice... I reviewed the concert for my school newspaper. Will try to find it and post it later.

I agree Still Life is a very poor reflection of the tour.

I was there too ,i remember mick right over us in the cherry picker during jjf, awsume show, i also dislike still life its to perfect sounding, i prefer the rough sound of philly and denver
29th May 2004 09:13 PM
Lil Brian Why isn't Bobby on sax this tour? I miss him...
29th May 2004 10:30 PM
beer
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Why isn't Bobby on sax this tour? I miss him...

He was busy fuckin all the leftover groupies from the '78 tour.
30th May 2004 02:25 AM
marko He was end of the tour,but only on Brown sugar.Ernie Watts
did his job then,and was better btw.
30th May 2004 11:28 PM
rogerriffin i didn�t like 1981 tour till mac_daddy sent me HAMPTON 81...

watch awesome, and sounds too.

like i told him...DONT ASK FOR NOTHING TO FOUR FLICKS...
31st May 2004 03:41 PM
Stonesthrow Exilestones--

Do you have Ride Like the Wind? If so, could you burn it for me? I was at the Tempe, AZ show in December 1981, and would like a more complete reminder of what I heard. Still Life only used five songs plus Hendrix' Star Spangled Banner. If you can and will burn it, p.m. me to arrange it.

1st June 2004 04:05 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have any boots of 81 and listening to Still Life just doesn't do justice to the sound I heard on that tour when I saw them in Buffalo, Syracuse, and Detroit. I absolutely loved that tour.

Buffalo 81:
...Great Show...
Near the end during Street Fighting Man, Mick ran across the stage throwing out red carnations and a minor panic ensued as everyone jostled, jumped and bumped to try and grab one. One came flying my way and I snagged it. What a great momento, or so I thought, because a milli-second later some bastard ripped the flower off for himself and I was left with a pathetic looking flowerless stem clenched in my fist.
I felt like Charlie Brown.

Congratulations, top notch post/story/embelishment.....
1st June 2004 04:07 PM
Mikey Ulf's list this week features 1981 Philly soundboard recordings.

Here is the link:
http://www.bahnhof.se/~hasu/Ulflist/

Its at the bottom.
1st June 2004 04:16 PM
Joey
quote:
marko wrote:
He was end of the tour,but only on Brown sugar.Ernie Watts
did his job then,and was better btw.

Yes my Baby Marko ...............Ernie Watts WAS a better musician than Bobby and Ernie played in Johnny Carson's " Tonight Show Orchestra " for many years ( decades ?!?! )

I love the 1981 tour . Whenever I hear any boots from that period I get that " the party has just started " feeling . Indeed , I see barkers and colored balloons falling down all around me . Hug Me .!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jazzy Joe
1st June 2004 04:31 PM
Nasty Habits The New Orleans material that's on Ride Like the Wind sounds particularly hot to me. Is there a good sounding complete version of this show?

For my own taste, I think that the '81 shows are too long to listen to as complete boots. Although I'm sure it was nonstop fun to be there, I much prefer the hour and a half of '69 - '72 and '78 (not to mention the 40 minutes of the 60s!) to the marathons of '75 and '81 and after for post-performance consumption. I have grown really fond of a lot of the '81-'82 show (great first half, nice finish) and particularly love Wyman's playing on this tour. Little funky yellow suited head banded sui sui rock star.

2nd June 2004 10:52 PM
exilestones@netscape
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The New Orleans material that's on Ride Like the Wind sounds particularly hot to me. Is there a good sounding complete version of this show?

I believe there only the one song (let It Bleed) circulating.
Page: 1 2