ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unkown photographer with thanks to Irina
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Good-bye Phish Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th May 2004 08:36 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
who are these "wookies" of whom you speak

are they the neo-hippies - you know, dreadlocked vegans in need of a bath

down here we call those types "ferals" if that's what you are referring to

http://wookieworld.com/wookieworld/default.cfm

make sure you check the pictures section of that site for more examples
28th May 2004 08:57 AM
FotiniD Now that's new. I'm still not 100% sure I get what a "wookie" is. Just someone who goes to gigs without any tickets? Kind of a "groupie" following the band around the universe? Ex hippies? Totally spaced out people? Really, I could use some explanation, "wookies for dummies" or something like that
28th May 2004 09:04 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Now that's new. I'm still not 100% sure I get what a "wookie" is. Just someone who goes to gigs without any tickets? Kind of a "groupie" following the band around the universe? Ex hippies? Totally spaced out people? Really, I could use some explanation, "wookies for dummies" or something like that

check the link I posted above - all the info you need is there for further clarification, check the picture section of that site...
28th May 2004 09:46 AM
FotiniD
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
check the link I posted above - all the info you need is there for further clarification, check the picture section of that site...

Speechless!
Now that I think about it, I used to know a guy who aspired to look just like that... Hmm... People change (thank God! )
28th May 2004 10:59 AM
Joey

5th June 2004 03:40 PM
mac_daddy By Ray Waddell

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - All hail the mighty Phish. At its heart the group is nothing more -- and nothing less -- than one of the all-time great rock 'n' roll touring bands.

As Phish embarks on its last tour, a taking of stock is in order. Rarely has a band connected so well with its fans in a concert format.

"I think what they'll most be remembered for is their skill at live performance and connecting with their audience," says John Paluska, who has managed Phish for 15 years.

"Their other most enduring aspect is their ability to improvise as a group," Paluska continues. "They created their own distinct style of improvisation, a little different from anybody else. I imagine that will be one of the saddest things for them to let go."

Indeed, the performances built the following, and it remains a fanatical one. Each show has a place in the Phish canon. It's likely there is a tape somewhere of every Phish show of the past 15 years. The band allowed the taping of shows from the beginning, a key element in developing its grassroots following, the legendary Phish-heads.

Most audiences have been a mixture of Phish-heads that travel from city to city and local fans eager to see what the fuss is about. This duality can create a challenge when putting together set lists, according to Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio (news).

"You can't please one of these groups and not the other one unless you do exactly what you want to do and not think about it at all," Anastasio told this writer in a 2000 interview. "My response to the crowd is, I try not to think about it. There comes a point where everybody's got an opinion, and they're all valid. You have to do what's true to your heart."

Describing a 1999 New Year's Eve show that lasted into the new millennium, Anastasio said, "I felt like a small part of a bigger scene. I met one cool person after another. When you meet all these impressive, cool people, it makes you want to get onstage and create something really soulful. There is no question that it gives you a sense of pride and responsibility."

Paluska says even he was taken aback by Phish's sudden announcement that it would call it quits after the band's final festival, Coventry. It takes place Aug. 14-15 at Newport State Airport in the band's home state of Vermont.

"It was somewhat surprising," he says of the news. "But I'm in support of their decision that this is the time to step away gracefully."

As to what will become of Phish's management home, Dioneysian Productions in Burlington, Vt. -- which includes management staff, merchandising, a powerful Web presence and several year-round crew members -- "all of these questions remain to be answered," Paluska says. "We have a tour and an album to focus on, so thinking about the transition is the wrong head space to be in right now."

Paluska says this summer's shows should have a "heightened emotion to them." Asked to sum up his tenure with Phish, he says, "It's hard to turn this experience into a sound bite."

Coventry will wrap a relatively light summer touring agenda for Phish. The 13-date route begins with two dates at KeySpan Park in Brooklyn, N.Y., June 17-18, and precedes Coventry at the Tweeter Center in Camden, N.J., Aug. 12.

Last summer Phish's shed run grossed about $14 million over 19 dates, with an average of $736,842 per show. The band's It festival grossed $8.25 million and attracted some 60,000 fans.

Reuters/Billboard
Page: 1 2