ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

After party in Buenos Aires, February 23-24, 2006
Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 40 Licks back on UK Top 25, impressive total sales Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th June 2006 12:48 PM
Soldatti From music week:

"...Originally released in 2002, The Rolling Stones' hit-laden and digitally remastered Forty Licks compilation is back ahead of the UK leg of their world tour, and aimed at the Father's Day market. Absent from the Top 75 for 140 weeks, it re-enters the list this week at number 23 on sales of 9,768, lifting its cume to 945,343, Forty Licks spent its first three weeks in the chart at number two, behind first Elvis Presley's 30 Number One Hits, then (for a fortnight) Will Young's From Now On..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

By far, the best selling Stones album in UK.
5th June 2006 02:50 PM
Soldatti More from Music Week:

"...the Stones extends their longevity on the Official UK Top 40 albums chart to 42 years, 1 month and 3 weeks since the entry date of their first album. In chart span, they are #1 among groups/bands and only Elvis, Cliff Richards and Frank Sinatra are higher in the all time list..."
5th June 2006 03:01 PM
Gazza ...but we still hate them....

In the last 24 hours I've seen several TV adverts for "40 Licks". You wouldnt half know there was a tour coming up.

Virgin really are a piece of work. Instead of trying to increase sales for the album which the band are touring behind, they choose to instead put their promotional push for the tour behind a compilation which came out four years ago. This tour really is closer to the 40 Licks tour than the last one in every way!

Pity they dont give a shit about promoting the band unless theyre touring
5th June 2006 03:40 PM
mmdog
That's impressive. 40 Licks couldn't re-enter the chart here. Once an album is over 2 years old, it's inelgible to be on the main chart. Which is why Jump Back's chart days are about over.
5th June 2006 03:42 PM
Gazza Time for "Jump Back 2" then?
5th June 2006 03:58 PM
gimmekeef Could it be they are trying to "empty the warehouse" of Licks inventory?...less than 10,000 sales isnt much to get excited about...cause what Stones fan "Dad" doesnt already have 10 versions of every song?
5th June 2006 05:58 PM
speedfreakjive the key thing is it is quite a definitive 2 disc greatest hits IMO
5th June 2006 06:48 PM
PeerQueer Virgin sucks - it really does - and that's coming from a friend who works at the LA office.

They have had several artists bail on Virgin - they leech off their talent -vs- successful promotion.

Stones are a perfect example...
5th June 2006 06:56 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
...but we still hate them....

In the last 24 hours I've seen several TV adverts for "40 Licks". You wouldnt half know there was a tour coming up.

Virgin really are a piece of work. Instead of trying to increase sales for the album which the band are touring behind, they choose to instead put their promotional push for the tour behind a compilation which came out four years ago. This tour really is closer to the 40 Licks tour than the last one in every way!

Pity they dont give a shit about promoting the band unless theyre touring

virgin is a shitty label... I had two members of the Irish band The Thrills in my cab last night. Cool guys. We talked about the new album they're working on. They weren't upset that i told them the 2nd album wasn't what i hoped it would be.
Anyway... They're on Virgin, they said it's not so bad in Europe, but in the states the label sucks at promoting them. They were nice guys and are going back up to Vancouver to finish the new album. They told me many of the songs will have references about Canada...
The Thrills are not in The Stones league by a longshot, but the label basically kills it's own artists... They seem to be a self defeating run organization.
5th June 2006 06:59 PM
Some Guy
quote:
pdog wrote:

virgin is a shitty label... I had two members of the Irish band The Thrills in my cab last night. Cool guys. We talked about the new album they're working on. They weren't upset that i told them the 2nd album wasn't what i hoped it would be.
Anyway... They're on Virgin, they said it's not so bad in Europe, but in the states the label sucks at promoting them. They were nice guys and are going back up to Vancouver to finish the new album. They told me many of the songs will have references about Canada...
The Thrills are not in The Stones league by a longshot, but the label basically kills it's own artists... They seem to be a self defeating run organization.

tip well??
5th June 2006 07:00 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
pdog wrote:

Yup.
5th June 2006 07:22 PM
pdog
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

tip well??

Not bad, I never expect big tips from any non-Americans, Yuppies from The Marina District of SF or Republicans. 90% of the time, these stereotypes are true, I supposes that's why we have stereotypes.
5th June 2006 07:26 PM
egon and their planes suck as well!
5th June 2006 07:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
I had two members of the Irish band The Thrills in my cab last night. Cool guys. We talked about the new album they're working on. They weren't upset that i told them the 2nd album wasn't what i hoped it would be.

did you mention the Stones to them? They opened for the Stones at the Astoria and at one of the Dublin shows on 2003 and theyre quite friendly with Woody - he played with them last year at a music awards show in Dublin
5th June 2006 07:55 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:

Thats interesting. I saw them 3 times in a row during my infamous 7 shows in 5 days run a few years ago including a tiny record store in San Diego. All I have is the 2nd album, its okay, not all that much of a fan, we just seemed to be in the same place at the same time 3 days in a row.
5th June 2006 09:23 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
did you mention the Stones to them? They opened for the Stones at the Astoria and at one of the Dublin shows on 2003 and theyre quite friendly with Woody - he played with them last year at a music awards show in Dublin

We talked about other stuff... Just kinda shot the shit. The 3 guys, 2 from the band, were pretty buzzed. I guess I blew it. Maybe it's a good thing. When I talk about Stones with musicians I'm stalkerish sounding...LOL!
5th June 2006 09:59 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Could it be they are trying to "empty the warehouse" of Licks inventory?...less than 10,000 sales isnt much to get excited about...cause what Stones fan "Dad" doesnt already have 10 versions of every song?

If we compare, 10k sold in England are about 30k sold in US.
A #23 position for the Stones in June 2006 after 42 and something years since the debut album is a great achievement, just look the rest of the chart: 80-90% of the artists are 5-10 years old or less.
5th June 2006 10:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:

Virgin sucks. They did a good job with the Stones in Europe but in the States it was a disaster despite 5 top 10 albums since 1994.
5th June 2006 10:20 PM
gimmekeef Virgin?..doesnt that give us a clue?..FUCK THEM!..
6th June 2006 07:44 AM
corgi37 I generally fly Virgin here in Oz. But, i flew Qantas to Sydney in APril for the Stones cause i used my frequent flyer points thus it was free.

Over here, the airline is fine by me, but they are having a hard time making dough. They are now gonna introduce a business class and a executive lounge.

Gone are the days of surprise $1.00 flights.

But, for their effort in the U.S. alone for ABB, they should be horse whipped.
6th June 2006 07:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

If we compare, 10k sold in England are about 30k sold in US.

the population of the US is five times that of the UK, not three (300 million vs 60 million)
6th June 2006 07:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Virgin sucks. They did a good job with the Stones in Europe but in the States it was a disaster despite 5 top 10 albums since 1994.

considering the fan base that the Stones have re: ticket sales, for any album to be selling anything less than about 4 million worldwide is criminal.
6th June 2006 02:00 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
pdog wrote:

AN AC BORN SF CAB DRIVER?HOW?
6th June 2006 02:18 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

AN AC BORN SF CAB DRIVER?HOW?

I do not particularly care for your avatar
6th June 2006 02:21 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

I do not particularly care for your avatar

how are things going in The Peoples Republic of Omaha?
6th June 2006 02:52 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

how are things going in The Peoples Republic of Omaha?

Hot & SWEATY !!!!!!

Plus the damn QWEST CENTER is closed for ' additions / upgrades '

J. " Snuggles " Fly !
6th June 2006 02:54 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Hot & SWEATY !!!!!!

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

all roads lead to Omaha
6th June 2006 03:41 PM
glencar Omaha is a dump!

Anyhoo, I bought the first Thrills album because I liked what I saw in Dublin. The songs pretty much sounded the same. That might have hurt them as much as any Virgin malfunctionings.
6th June 2006 04:29 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Joey wrote:

Hot & SWEATY !!!!!!

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

FINALLY, INDOOR TOILETS!!
6th June 2006 04:36 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

FINALLY, INDOOR TOILETS!!

HA!!

this year: plumbing
next year: lighting

oh... and Thrills are fun. I enjoyed the 1st Thrills record. Good sunny afternoon SoCal music. Make me want to smoke joints on the beach.

but, then again, so do Tuesdays.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)