ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

After party in Buenos Aires, February 23-24, 2006
Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: OT: Monsters of Rock Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd June 2006 10:00 AM
Monkeytonk-man -----------------------------------------------------------
MrD: that has to be the WORST festival line up i've ever seen. its like something from the 70's!

one thing is for sure. the only rocking that'll be done at the MKB will be from the rocking chairs the old fuckers in the crowd bring with them

-----------------------------------------------------------

Man, The general crowd you get at most of these bands concerts are certainly a lot more ROCKING than the general Stones crowd of recent years.

did you actually think about what you were saying? this is a Stones board, can you honestly say that the crowd which go along to the British Monsters of Rock festival are tamer than at a Stones gig?

your comments just don't make sense.

Often there are discussions here about people telling others to sit down at a Stones gig, well at least at the monsters this won't be an issue, 'cus there are no seats, those that want to sit can make there way to the back and get pissed.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the general concensus in the UK, and in the pub with my mates is that this is not a fantastic line-up, no-ones gonna argue with you, but the fact remians that it's a british insitution thats been missing from the annual gig calender for too long and it's a welcome return for many rockers - myself included.
2nd June 2006 10:39 AM
Saint Sway the "fans" at Stones shows make Billy Joel fans seem rowdy.
2nd June 2006 10:55 AM
nanatod
quote:
Dan wrote:
I would go if it was in close proximity.

Deep Purple - Saw this lineup at the Wiltern. Great playing, great songs, just not very exciting and no longer a stadium headliner.

Deep Purple is my favorite heavy metal band. Machinehead was the first metal album I owned, and one of the first albums I owned overall. I only saw the 1996 tour, and Steve Morse isn't Richie Blackmore, but it was a fantastic show anyway.

The Purple catalogue has a lot of hidden gems in it, and many of them get played in concert. Their catalogue also sounds fresher than a lot of their contemporaries, because the songs aren't overplayed on classic rock radio, and because Deep Purple hasn't sold the songs to be used as commercials, as say, Led Zep has.

At Monsters of Rock, they are sure to play Highway Star, Woman from Tokyo, Hush, Smoke on the Water, Lazy, and probably, Pictures of Home. How could anyone close to the vicinity of Milton Keynes not jump at the chance to go?
2nd June 2006 01:16 PM
Dan When I saw Deep Purple, they played the complete Machine Head album. Their recent material, at least the songs they play live are pretty decent too. Ted The Mechanic is an awesome song.
4th June 2006 12:24 PM
Dan This was yesterday right? Where are the reviews?
5th June 2006 04:01 AM
Monkeytonk-man Well, just got back to work after going to monsters of rock at the Weekend, and what a day. The weather was beautiful for the whole day - Ted Nugent remarked that he hoped all the Limey's appreciated him bringing the weather with him from Texas, the sun shone all day and not a drop of rain.

Milton Keynes Bowl is without doubt one of my favourite concert venues in the entire UK, great view from wherever you are, for me, such a great shame that the Stones didn't relocate to this venue, like Bon Jovi, instead of Twickenham, but I guess this venue is just a bit too rocking, with no chance of nice orderly seating arragements.

Great vibe at the festival, not many Stones T-shirts about, but I did see one little nipper wearing one, obviously had parents of good taste, there was also another dude with a 'Live Licks' shirt on, had a bit of a chat with him.

All the bands put on a good performance, Ted Nugent was pretty reserved with his right wing polemics, only a few remarks about thanking the UK for standing by the USA on National issues and all law breakers whould be 'knifed'

Queensryche condensed some of the finer moments from both operation: Mindcrime 1 & 2 to pressent a kind of mini version of the whole story, if you've got the albums then it was pretty sweet, some of my mates were left in the dark however.

Thunder as always were spot on, these are a band that always deliver the goods when on a festival bill, good rocking songs with plenty of opportunities for audience participation, they finsihed the set by wishing England the best of luck in the world cup and then kicking football into the crowd.

Journey: time for me and my mates to go look around the venue, get loaded up with more beers and the like, they sounded pretty decent, but it seemed like they played too many ballads, not the right place, should have stuck to the more rocking tunes

Alice: Good show, pretty much the same set from the recent tour when he was supported by Twisted Sister, highlights for me included Lost in America and Steven, you can always rely on him to put on a good show.

Purple finally came on as the sun was setting, relied heavily upon the classics, although did play 'Rature of the Deep' from the new album, I was also chuffed that they played 'When a blind Man cries' one of my all time favourite Purple tunes. 'Perfect Strangers' was also a highlight.

Memory was pretty hazy by this point afte having a few beers, but all in all a great day out with a wonderful vibe.

Lets hope this marks a welcome return of the Monsters festival.
5th June 2006 02:22 PM
Dan Thanks a lot for the review! I heard Queensryche's set was a total disaster, both in Milton Keynes and a headline set the next day in Manchester. I also heard that as of 2 weeks ago there were only 12k presale sold and though there were a lot of walkups, you could walk close to the stage with no problem. It actually looks like a decent venue from the GNR vid I saw from '93.

If you didn't get enough Deep Purple, they will be touring the UK with Styx in April 2007!
5th June 2006 03:07 PM
Monkeytonk-man Yeah, Dan, we all knew it was not gonna be a sell out, but it was pretty well partonised by the middle of the day, more people there than i thought was gonna be there.

also The Bowl is just a great venue for rock/metal gigs in the UK, not many places like it over here, in some ways reminds me of the north american outdoor venues.

Gillan annouced the tour with Styx that night, did'nt exactly go down a storm with the crowd though.

Here's hoping that the monster has awokened and will become an annual event again, I'm still holding out for Acca Dacca for next year. they last played this venue on the Stiff upper lip tour, another great day out, but it would be sweet if they were to return to headline the Monsters.

I'm off flying out to Sweden tongight for the Swden Rock Festival in my opinion one of the best music festivals on the go.

Take it easy man and remember Keep on rockin!!
5th June 2006 03:10 PM
MrPleasant Doesn't the term "Monsters Of Rock" sound denigratory?
5th June 2006 03:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:
This was yesterday right? Where are the reviews?

yesterday??? I thought it was in 1985?
5th June 2006 03:12 PM
Monkeytonk-man Alice passed comment on this issue in the recent issue of classic rock (best music mag around by the by)

something along the lines of 'Yeah, we're monsters, we eat little bands' -nuff said

rock on.
5th June 2006 03:13 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

Alice Cooper was a great friend of Keith Moon !

Did you know that Alice Cooper (the whole band) used to party backstage with Keith Moon whenever the Who would hit the Southwest US. They used to do snake shots with habaneros and absolutely trash the damn place. Its true. I read it in Fletcher's book, Keith Moon, The Life and Death of a Rock Legend.
5th June 2006 03:14 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Monkeytonk-man wrote:
something along the lines of 'Yeah, we're monsters, we eat little bands' -nuff said

So it is denigratory. That's why many jerks don't take him and the Cooper band seriously. Shit.

[Ëdited by my ass]
[Edited by MrPleasant]
5th June 2006 03:16 PM
sirmoonie I am the Monster of Rock.
5th June 2006 03:17 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Did you know that Alice Cooper (the whole band) used to party backstage with Keith Moon whenever the Who would hit the Southwest US. They used to do snake shots with habaneros and absolutely trash the damn place. Its true. I read it in Fletcher's book, Keith Moon, The Life and Death of a Rock Legend.

Zappa discovered Alice Cooper. Right? RIGHT?!??

Moon Zappa, that is; ya know: THE "VALLEY GIRL"??
5th June 2006 03:17 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I am the Monster of Rock.

You are a well respected man.
5th June 2006 03:28 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

You are a well respected man.

In some places. In others, bitterly, my popularity rating dove to that of George Walker Bush III's, which is ironicalismness if you thinked about.
5th June 2006 03:30 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

In some places. In others, bitterly, my popularity rating dove to that of George Walker Bush III's, which is ironicalismness if you thinked about.

"Be hated and you shall gain the world. Be loved and you shall gain nothing". This is what my father told me while he was screwing with his secretary; later I found out that she wasn't a secretary at all: she only answered my father's phone calls!
6th June 2006 07:54 AM
corgi37 DP's (heh-heh, DP) "Perfect Strangers" is a great song. Very "Kashmir" like.

BTW, i am the monster of cock.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)