ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Live Debut for Jumping Jack Flash
New Musical Express Pollwinners Concert.
Empire Pool, Wembley - London 12th May 1968
Last live performance with Brian in front of public audience

The Daily Mirror Collection
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Thoughts about our Keith:) Return to archive
06-06-03 11:04 AM
dealer squealing Ok many of you have your opinions about Keiths playing and that he is just the shadow of what he used to be, Ronnie being the first target, i agree that he has had some bad moments but i still think he�s absolutely great when he�s having his best gigs. Anyway what i would like to point out and is the best thing about Keith nowadays is his singing. He sings better than ever and his timing with good frases in song is absolute fantastic. Example Slipping Away from the Orpheum gig, it�s awesome, also All About You fom St Louis 1997 which i think is his best performance vocalvice. Now we are also able to hear the words in Befor They Make Me Run. Remember Happy in 1975 or Little Tand A in 1981? Well played but not that well sung.
Just making some positive thoughts about Keith.
Pardon my english
06-06-03 11:45 AM
jb I think that summarizes the Stones in general....moments of brillaince , but not consistantly on. Mick, however, seems to rarely have a bad night.
06-06-03 11:47 AM
T&A good point - but, I think it goes without saying that when Keith is at the mike, he has one of two choices - play guitar or sing. He used to always sacrifice singing for playing (remember Happy in the old days...Keith hardly sang at all - it was really mostly a MJ vocal). I like that he concentrates on his singing during his two numbers now, but as a result we get little if any guitar.
06-06-03 11:59 AM
jb Absolutely correct...his lack of playing is deafening at times....and as far as Happy, it is a shell of it's former self....Listening to the boots from 72-78, that song kicked ass.....Indeed, since Jagger was contactually obligated to leave the stage in 81 during Keith's set, Happy has never been the same. Watching L&G, keith's back-up vocals were extroadinary, and he seemed to be able to sing and play contemparaneously...albeit the great MIck Taylor filled in any gaps with some of the best guitar playing I've ever heard. I think that's been the problem since Ronnie joined the band-he can't "cover" for Keith like the great MT, b/c he himself is not a classic lead guitarist.
[Edited by jb]
06-06-03 12:01 PM
Honky Tonk Man On "Slipping Away" i don't really think Keith needs to play guitar, except for the intro and the solo. To me, its such a perfect song. Keiths nicotene vocals really adds to the song and the actual tune is fantastic. I can't remember if Keith buggered up the solo on Wednesday night, but thats a great solo. So simplistic, its brilliant.

I dunno, maybe on songs like "Before They Make Me Run" and "Happy" he does need to concentrate on the guitar more. Personaly, i think he could a little more to "Happy" The version from the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours had awsome guitar. On "Happy" from the "At The Max" video, Keith is solong away like theres no tomorrow!

Alex
06-06-03 12:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
T&A wrote:
good point - but, I think it goes without saying that when Keith is at the mike, he has one of two choices - play guitar or sing. He used to always sacrifice singing for playing (remember Happy in the old days...Keith hardly sang at all - it was really mostly a MJ vocal). I like that he concentrates on his singing during his two numbers now, but as a result we get little if any guitar.

A good example of this is Slipping Away on this tour. Vocals are terrific, but he derobes the guitar and it briefly acts as a leaning post.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003