ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Live Debut for Jumping Jack Flash
New Musical Express Pollwinners Concert.
Empire Pool, Wembley - London 12th May 1968
Last live performance with Brian in front of public audience

The Daily Mirror Collection
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cohl says No Winter 2004 Shows - New Album Rumblings, too! Return to archive
06-05-03 08:34 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I snagged this over at Shidoobee, where they were discussing yet another fake rumor that the Stones were breaking up. God, I hate when people circulate those.

Anyhow, someone posted this, and it's very interesting, so kudos as usual to Shidoobee.

From REUTERS:

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Taking a break in Toronto before the Rolling Stones' Licks World Tour resumes June 4 at Olympiahalle in Munich, tour promoter Michael Cohl ruminated on what has been a particularly interesting run with the world's greatest rock'n'roll band.

After wrapping the North America leg to the tune of about $120 million, the Stones continue to do mega-business on this most ambitious of tours that sees the ageless rockers playing theaters, arenas, and stadiums. The band draws from more than 60 rehearsed tunes to provide a unique set list and production for each venue.

With the Stones performing very well both onstage and at the box office, Licks has been a critical and financial success, retaining momentum overseas.

"It's been great," understates Cohl, who will again join with band and crew for rehearsals May 28 in Munich. The international run began Down Under in February. "Australia was fantastic; we did a theater in Sydney, then two arena there, three in Melbourne, and two in Brisbane ."

From Australia, Licks headed to Tokyo to play the legendary Budokan Hall March 10, a makeup date nearly three decades in the making. "The Rolling Stones tried to play Budokan something like 27 years ago," Cohl points out. "They sold out the date, then the Japanese government banned them."

Japanese dates included Yokohama Arena, two sellouts at the 56,000-seat Tokyo Dome and two at the Osaka Dome, then two stadium sellouts in Singapore before the tour hit a SARS (news - web sites)-induced snag. In the first high-profile cancellation because of the respiratory ailment, the Stones lost scheduled inaugural gigs in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Beijing, "all for good reason," Cohl adds. That's when it dawned on much of the world that SARS was a real threat.

"That's when we knew it was real, stuck in a hotel room in Singapore for 12 days," Cohl says. "When we finally got to leave, we went to India and played Mumbai and Bangalore, but we didn't get to Bangkok."

Though it is widely thought that the Stones lost the April 16 date at Bangkok's Babourne Stadium because of SARS, that is not the case. "That show would've come off," Cohl says. "What happened was a truck hit our airplane and knocked a 7-inch hole in it. We were prepared to fight the war and SARS, then a truck grounded us. It had nothing to do with the disease."

This summer, the Stones will play Germany, Austria, Spain, France, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and the U.K. before tentatively wrapping Sept. 14 at Wembley Arena in London. It is tentative because the band wants to make up dates that were lost, so Cohl says it could potentially stay out until the end of October.

But don't look for any more North American dates. "Enough's enough," Cohl says. "By then, counting rehearsals, it will have been 16 months and 120 or so dates."

Meanwhile, Europe looks good. "We've already hit our budgets and forecasts for Europe," Cohl says. "We'll be at 99%-100% attendance when we start in June."

Cohl has produced each Stones tour since the Steel Wheels outing in 1989, pioneering the one-promoter world tour in the process. He grossed $750 million promoting the band in the 1990s, and his tenure with the Stones is sure to top $1 billion with Licks, a remarkable feat.

Cohl formed Grand Entertainment Touring when SFX (now Clear Channel Entertainment ) acquired his Toronto-based company, the Next Adventure, in 1999, maintaining his right to promote Stones tours. CCE is also involved in the Licks tour.

So there you have it. No 2004 shows, according to Cohl, though we'll see how the boys feel at the end of the day. Rumors also persist on the new studio album, with Doug reporting the Glimmer Twins went out to LA for a few days this May while a European newspaper article quoted over at IORR reports that the boys worked a few nights in the studios at Munich and will be finishing their album all through the European tour.

That sounds like good news to me. Same musicians all the time even if there'll be too much backup singer crap, not a lot of time to record, Ronnie fucking sober, we might just have a winner on our hands. Cross your fingers...

-tSYX --- You don't make much sense on the long distance line...
06-05-03 09:21 PM
Beastie Bry Ah, we can all live without seeing them live for awhile.

But the news that there is work being done on an album is quite encouraging, don't ya think?
[Edited by Beastie Bry]
06-05-03 10:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Beastie Bry wrote:
Ah, we can all live without seeing them live for awhile.

...time's up!
06-06-03 12:37 AM
parmeda
quote:
Beastie Bry wrote:
Ah, we can all live without seeing them live for awhile.

Honey, I don't know what rock you just crawled out from under, lol...but, I sure the hell am hoping for a triumphant return.

Soon. Real soon.
06-06-03 04:48 PM
Beastie Bry Well, I certainly have not been under any rock, Pam. Well, I have been away from RO for awhile. Maybe ya remember who I am?
[Edited by Beastie Bry]
06-06-03 05:17 PM
Riffhard That's definatly a good news/bad news story. I'm happy at the thought of a new album,especially since they are writing and recording as a cohesive unit. It's about time they wrote the songs together,as opposed to showing up at the studio with some Mick songs and some Keith songs. Hopefully this will prove to be a great studio effort again.

I don't like the thought of them not touring though. It's just a matter of time before Shirley tells Charlie the rose garden needs full time tending. When that happens it's the end of the road.

My bet is one more great album followed by a "swan song" tour. Then ofcourse the occasional Wino's tour and possibly Jagger here and there. Maybe a few one-off Stones' shows,but the hour glass is certainly beginning to empty.

Hate to say it!

Riffhard
06-06-03 05:44 PM
Joey " But the news that there is work being done on an album is quite encouraging, don't ya think? "

Only if Mick Taylor plays on it .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACK the Y !

Jacky !

06-06-03 06:41 PM
parmeda
quote:
Beastie Bry wrote:
Well, I certainly have not been under any rock, Pam. Well, I have been away from RO for awhile. Maybe ya remember who I am????

Boom!
Is it you?
06-06-03 10:04 PM
LadyJane
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Boom!
Is it you?

I think you're right, Parmy!!

Profile says he's from Indiana!!

Don't tease us! If it's you, Boom, we've missed ya!!

LadyJ.
06-07-03 11:06 PM
Beastie Bry Yeah, it's me......woopadeedoo
06-08-03 09:41 AM
Paulcarr87 No Stones shows in 2004 says Cohl? A pretty reliable source concerning the Stones (i.e. Mick Jagger) said last May at the blimp press conference that they were thinking ahead to what shows would be played in 2004. I say look for the proposed "no security" type indoor tour in spring/winter 2004 to promote the new cd (although it would probably be a shorter tour than no security).

Paul

06-08-03 09:50 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Beastie Bry wrote:
Yeah, it's me......woopadeedoo

Welcome back!!! Where have you been???

LadyJ.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003