ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Live Debut for Jumping Jack Flash
New Musical Express Pollwinners Concert.
Empire Pool, Wembley - London 12th May 1968
Last live performance with Brian in front of public audience

The Daily Mirror Collection
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I Have Returned! Return to archive
06-05-03 05:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man Got back a few hours ago. Just had to post about my trip!

Good Points

Very nice hotel room
Good beer
On the whole, everyone was very freindly
At least one in 3 Germans, spoke English!

Bad points

After the show some tosser decided to help me find a taxi. He spoke to a few other Germans and decided that we should head in a certain direction. He then led me some distance BEFORE deciding then to get a fucking tram! He just left me! Anyway, theres me, by myself, i can barely speak two words of German. All i wanted to do was get back to the hotel and and get a drink. I dashed back to the Olympic Park and after about 40 minutes, i got a cab! After that stress, i tell you what, larger has never tasted so good!

Amyway, the show. Well im trying to remember each song. The whole thing was great, but im going to give it a go. No one else has really reviewd it yet, so maybe it is just my opinion.

After the Cranberries had finished theyre wining, it was time for the Stones and.....

STREET FIGHTING MAN

What can i say, pretty perfect. The energy was high and i had the biggest grin on my face! Sounded perfect.

ITS ONLY ROCK' N ROLL

A great song, it sounded great, but i though Keith wasn't too hot on it.

IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME

Just a joy to hear it live!

DONT STOP

The first song which for me, didn't quite ring true. I was actually thinking Ronnie might be drunk! AWFUL SOLO!

HEARTBREAKER

The first new addition to the setlist. It sounded muddy to me. Didn't quite work, but this was the Stones first attempt at it. Im sure it will improove as the tour continues. Its a fantastic song.

LOVE IN VAIN

The start of the Let It Bleed theme. Its a buetiful song and a great performance.

LIVE WITH ME

A favourite of mine and i loved every second of it. But as i am nitpicking, i will say that Keiths solos have been better!

MONKY MAN

Perfect! I think!

MIDNIGHT RAMBLER

The first song which REALLY had me gasping. I wasn't expecting it, but it just appeared. Absoloutley perfect. Keiths guitar. Mick harp, the whole jam was electrifiying!

TUMBLING DICE

Another great tune, sounds great every time!

SLIPPING AWAY

I love this song and im glad Keith chose it. It was a highlight at Giant and a highlight here. I won't have a word said againt it!

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN

Fucking fantastic. Im glad i heard this. Heard Happy at Giants and i know i will get it at the Twikenham shows

START ME UP

Brilliant. Full of energy!

CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING

The song i REALLY WANTED TO HEAR! It was flawless. Everything about it was how you would want it. I reckon Ronnies solo tonight was better than his on the HBO Special version.

HONKY TONK WOMAN

The guitar riff IS Keith Richards. He makes this song and he makes it evey time.

JUMPING JACK FLASH

Always sounds the same. Always great.

MANNISH BOY

The ABSOLUTE HIGHLIGHT. It was some goddamn bluesy and dirty sounding. Ronnie ruled this song!

NEIGHBOURS

Awesome! Keith was playing great Chuck Berry licks. Maybe thats why he didnt really try on IORR. Maybe he was saving them for this!

BROWN SUGAR

Is it just me, or did i see bottles getting frown at the Stones? One hit Charlie and im pretty sure one hit Keith. Thats not good. I was hoping maybe Keith would jump into the audiience or boot the guy in the head. Like he did with that guy in 1964! The song it self was really raw sounding. I loved it

SATISFACTION

Makes a great encore. Great song, great performance!

Alex
06-05-03 06:00 PM
steel driving hammer Thats it??????????????

So soon???????????????

I thought you were gonna hang w/ Marko and the boys!

God your quick!

Did Mick loose his shoe durring SFM?
06-05-03 06:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man Sadly i did'nt get to meet any fellow posters!

Well i just thought Mick was doing his laces up! I didn't think he actually lost it

Alex
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
06-05-03 06:05 PM
steel driving hammer >After the Cranberries had finished theyre wining.

That is funny and so true!

Nice one.
06-05-03 06:45 PM
T&A thanks for the blow-by-blow, HTM....

Yes, it seems KR's razor sharp leads that climaxed around 97/98 have diminished with age or arthritis or whatever the problem is. Luckily, MJ is better than ever and RW better than he's been in 20 years...
06-06-03 12:56 AM
parmeda Thanks Alex!

Glad to hear you made it back in one piece after the rat-race trying to get a cab, lol. That's too bad you couldn't hook up with any of our fellow posters . You sounded a little disappointed with just a few things, and I guess it could be expected coming right off of a rest...they have to get their momentum back, and they will!

What in the heck happened with the bottle throwing? Are these people nuts?!!! WTF! I hope anyone that was near the jackasses had the crust to pound a bottle up their ass. That type of crap is just not called for...especially directed at the Stones. Hearing this really pisses me off..sorry, but it's just my opinion.

Thanks again...glad you had a good time

06-06-03 03:32 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

BROWN SUGAR

Is it just me, or did i see bottles getting frown at the Stones? One hit Charlie and im pretty sure one hit Keith. Thats not good. I was hoping maybe Keith would jump into the audiience or boot the guy in the head.

Alex

They did throw, things, but I am sure they did not hit any of the stones, 1 ALMOST hit ronnie on the head, and 1 got near Charlie, no harm done, thankfully.
I noticed that Mick saw that throwing too, but he didn't say anything about it. It where just 2 or 3 things...

rik
06-06-03 06:44 AM
Factory Girl Thank you, Alex.
06-06-03 12:20 PM
sirmoonie Good for you, Alex!

You may be the biggest Stones jet-setter of all of us!
06-06-03 06:41 PM
Honky Tonk Man Well i wouldn't say im a jet-setter yet! Not if you are going to compare me to some of these other crazy Stones fans out there!

I have said it before and i will say it again, im looking forward to meeting you in London! Boy, im so looking forward to these shows. I will be the host!

Alex
06-06-03 06:47 PM
stewed & Keefed Glad to see your back safe.
If you can make it tuesday,It will be great to hear all about It. Heartbreaker, you are so lucky.
06-06-03 08:18 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Sadly i did'nt get to meet any fellow posters!

We (Strange Stray Cat, Marko and me) did look out for you, but we had a hard time exactly remembering your picture, and there were so many people wandering around and sitting at the 'restaurant' ya know...

Nice review Alex. Funny how different people experience songs. Like I thought Monkey Man was one of the worst versions I ever heard. My review is here:
http://www.novogate.com/board/968/1...-3.html#2090368
06-07-03 01:53 PM
Honky Tonk Man Well thanks for looking out for me!

You most likely wouldn't of found me, evan if you had memorized my pictures. I was everywhere. Didn't sit down for 5 minutes!

Alex

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003