ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Live Debut for Jumping Jack Flash
New Musical Express Pollwinners Concert.
Empire Pool, Wembley - London 12th May 1968
Last live performance with Brian in front of public audience

The Daily Mirror Collection
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question: How do you take a camera in gigs? Return to archive
06-04-03 03:07 AM
FotiniD Hello all!

So, two more days before I take the ship to go to Italy and see the Stones in Milan, after waiting for 5 years I'm thrilled! I got a question for all of you luckier guys than me, who get to be in more concerts:

How do you get a camera to shoot photographs in the concert? Ok, it is prohibited, but come on, it's only photographs and I just need to have some printed memories of this concert as well Where do you hide it? Do they search your bags, can you hide it in your shoes or something (I'll wear long boots, hehe). And once you DO get the camera in, is there a chance they might throw you out if they see you snapping photos? Crazy fears, but I just need to know! And then I can get the pix and share them with all of you here

Thanks in advance!
06-04-03 03:22 AM
stonedinaustralia fotini - i got one of those disposable cameras in - in your boot or down the front of your trousers would be best - i doubt the are going to conduct strip searches of the entire audience (but in this day and age anything's possible)- i'd expect they'd just make perfunctory searches of bags and easily accesible pockets

as to what would happen if you got busted - well, again who knows for sure, but throwing you out would be a bit extreme - i'd expect they'd just confiscate the camera - hence i recommend you take a disposable - not your top of the range Nikon (or whatever) - in any event they'd have no right to keep the camera only the film inside

good luck
06-04-03 03:49 AM
FotiniD Thanks for the answer StonedinAustralia! Yes, a disposable camera I guess would be the best choice. I just hope the picture quality won't be totally awful... well, here's to hoping! let's see what comes out of this.

Thanks again!
06-04-03 05:18 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Thanks for the answer StonedinAustralia! Yes, a disposable camera I guess would be the best choice. I just hope the picture quality won't be totally awful... well, here's to hoping! let's see what comes out of this.

Thanks again!

no worries fotini

i know what you mean about the qualty of the disposables - so get a good one

however, i think it is especially the use of unauthorised professional equipment they are trying to stop - i.e. unauthorised photographers making a $ out of their shots

i hope the show is all you hope for and look forward to your review

cheers
06-04-03 07:40 AM
corgi37 i was so proud to receive a Casio EXI-slim as a present from my bro from Hong Kong 2 days before the show. It slipped easily behind my button up 501's fly. Took heaps of pics, and even some video. BUt, just as my bitch of a wifetouched keith and Ronnie (it should have been me!!) i got pinged by security. The flash gave me away. Mind you, during encore i stood on seats, jumped in air, ran to within 5 rows and took a zillion pics, and the security didnt give a shit. ADVICE??? Take pics until they say "put it away"; hide it for 10 minutes, sneak a pic, then go nuts on the last song or 2.
06-04-03 08:34 AM
FotiniD Corgi, so did they just take the camera away or made you leave? This is developing to my greatest fear! I don't get the problem with photographs, except what StonedinAustralia said about those pro photographes who try to get away with it. Fans should be allowed to snap as many pictures as they can
06-04-03 09:04 AM
nankerphelge Get a big ol' German sausage -- carve out the center -- stick the camera in there, and then shove the sausage down your pants!

You'll definitely get the camera in -- what security dude is gonna ask to check that package?? Especially if you look at them as if you WANT them to check it out!

Plus you have a snack for later!!

Now if it is a woman security person, you might just get a date along with the pix!

06-04-03 09:22 AM
steel driving hammer It mostly depends on the security persons judgement.

Not everyone will be padded down and felt up.

The smaller the camera the better, dress Polo like or professional, be calm when approaching the ticket person and if your with a woman, give it to her to put it in her side pocket, not her purse and enjoy the show.
06-04-03 09:28 AM
LadyJane FotiniD-Fuji makes a great disposable.

As far as smuggling, are you bringing a female companion? You need to find a woman with lots of cleavage.

Hell, send me the plane ticket, honey, and I'll smuggle two in for ya!!

LadyJ.

OMG---Can you guys tell how badly I want to see this BAND!!
06-04-03 09:38 AM
nankerphelge Can you tell how badly I wish I were a camera...
06-04-03 09:47 AM
FotiniD Nanker, LadyJane and Steel, thanks for the advice, but you see... I AM a girl, so...

I think shoes can't go wrong... Who'll think of searching shoes? I got the right pair of boots, alright
06-04-03 09:55 AM
LadyJane Forgive me FotiniD.....now you have your answer. Small disposable down your bra. TRUST me--they will not search you!!

LadyJ.

Nanky, Nanky, you naughty, naughty boy!!

LOL
06-04-03 11:30 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Have someone else with you who'll get padded down and checked and so forth.

If you want to bring a good camera (I smuggled in my father's digital one and then of course he wouldn't let me take any damn pictures, he only took one of the guys on the B-Stage... the "bald spot" shot), hide it well. Make *sure* the person going in front of you gets stopped. I had my father stopped and padded down because he had a bulky thing in his right side pocket, which wound up being his cell-phone. As a result, because he had my ticket and they didn't want to waste time, they didn't even bother patting me down, and the camera was quietly sitting in my inside coat pocket.

Hell, I had the camera *case* bulging out of my right front pocket and they didn't pat me down. (That was my backup plan - "Oh, the sign said no cameras so I gave it to my mother outside.")

-tSYX --- I'm jus' a poor boy... whachyo name?
06-04-03 11:42 AM
Joey " Not everyone will be padded down and felt up. "

No , only those who wear Tees that say , " HOWE " on them .

That or stenciling www.HoweMilitary.com on the back .

Developing .................

Shiver ......................

Jacky !
06-04-03 12:29 PM
FotiniD Thanks for all your answers guys! Now I have some good James Bond-like tricks on how to sneak the camera in
06-04-03 02:17 PM
Dan Where some oversize pants, stick it in bubble wrap and put it down your pants. Hack and cough a lot. Wear a fanny pack tilted to the side but don't volunteer that you have it. When they find the fanny pack in the pat down and search it, chances are they wont continue past that point and just wave you in.
06-04-03 02:25 PM
Peanut2 As for getting a camera in, my friend had an interesting approach to this issue at Springsteen shows (same no-camera rule applies).

What he would do is buy TWO disposable cameras - one being the cheapest he could find, the other a good one, relatively speaking.

What he would do is hide the good one on him somewhere (boots, strapped to ankle, down pants, wherever works). Then, he would carry the cheap one, in his hand, in plain view, when he went through the gate.

The ticket people would of course say "hey, no cameras allowed at this event". The guy would look crestfallen and say "oh, really?" and the ticket guy would roll his eyes and say something like "well it's printed right on the ticket...".

My friend would say "oh sorry" and hand over the cheap camera. By this time, they've slowed down the line, so there is some need to get him through, and the ticket guy is thinking there's no need to search anyone dumb enough to be holding a camera, so he just gets passed through, without ever being searched.

One time, the ticket lady saw the camera, looked at him and said "If you get caught with that in here, they can throw you out." My guy just nodded - and that was it - she let him in with it.

Just goes to show you never know. But - playing dumb and giving a cheap one away on purpose always worked for him.

Good luck.
06-05-03 12:03 PM
padre This one from IORR's Munich gig reviews:

"Short at the end of the show during "Brown Sugar" I was asked by several security people to leave the show and was carried away to the police station, like dozend others too and had to give away my camera during bad conversation with security. They simply threw my camera into garbage! There were dozens of other people who happend this, they had professionals to delete digital cameras chips; the new chips like SD etc. which have been harder to delete were thrown into garbage without any discussion... My camera was a one-way-camera, no discussion helped, they simply threw it away. I am very very sad about this."

by Wolfgang Morscher

Will that be the common procedure in the European leg of the tour??? Dammit!

06-05-03 12:21 PM
littleredrooster TWO WORDS!!!!

CROTCH IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06-05-03 01:07 PM
nankerphelge Those two words pretty much cover it all, don't they!

06-06-03 08:40 AM
fmk438j I am amazed at that info padre just posted. I've never heard anything so extreme.

I think all the above is great advice, especially peanuts'.

The real thing though is that it all comes down to the what the security want to do or have decided to do, which can change from show to show, so there's no set policy yo can plan against.

My little bit of advice would be when crotching a good camera, if it's digital, take the batteries out and put them someowhere where a hand-held metal detector won't go near, or amongst other metal items ie. keys. The cameras are mostly plastic these days and won't set the detectors off, but the batteries may I guess.

I got busted at melbourne during the show by an actual roadie (at the Bstage) but he just said put it away (he was quite scary though, sayiong this about 1/2 inch from my face in an evil voice).
06-06-03 09:40 AM
LadyJane
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
I am amazed at that info padre just posted. I've never heard anything so extreme.

Well, fmk, as the Stones themselves have said "You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you get what you need".

We NEED photos....So......we do what we must!! Especially when we know RO is counting on us!!!

LadyJ.
06-06-03 10:02 AM
throbby Did any of you make it to the Giants Stadium show last Fall? There they were announcing over the PA that you were allowed to bring in still cameras, but you were not allowed to bring in video cameras. Well, I walked right in with an Olympus 35MM w/telephoto lens hanging on my neck, no one said a word. At some of the other shows I've been to this tour they have allowed in disposable cameras.
06-06-03 10:15 AM
Factory Girl Fotini-I have a bag with lots of pockets and 1 secret pocket in the back. By the time they search all the front pockets, they are done with me!!

So, go shopping Fotini and think lots of pockets!! Have fun!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003