ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Lynn!
Backstage with Chris Farlowe
© 1982 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith WON'T be inducting Cohl / Album progress.....from Ian Return to archive
June 5th, 2005 05:40 AM
IanBillen
I saw this on another message board and figured it should be posted here. Special Thanks to "Stones Fan in TO" for finding this. It is taken from The Toronto Sun.
Cohl will not be inducted by Keith. He stated this himself in a candid interview. He also went on to say The Stones are finished recording but still have to mix it. He also said his greatest achievement is being hired and kept on by The Stones. Here is a quote:

"They just finished recording, and he's (Keith) jetting his way to L.A. to start mixing the album with Mick this weekend. They're way behind and there's no chance of anyone coming to Toronto. They won't even finish recording until, we're hoping, June 24 to June 26 -- if it stays on schedule."

*Notice the contradiction-first he says they are finished recording then he says they are not finished recording at the end.

What I actually think he meant was the album will not be finished completely until June 24-26 with the mixing schedule.

Ian
June 5th, 2005 07:20 AM
Monkey Woman More info from that article:

http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm15.showMessage?topicID=11238.topic

"(Richards) is not coming from Paris -- he's not even in Paris," Cohl said. "They just finished recording, and he's jetting his way to L.A. to start mixing the album with Mick this weekend. They're way behind and there's no chance of anyone coming to Toronto. They won't even finish recording until, we're hoping, June 24 to June 26 -- if it stays on schedule."

Cohl says the Stones won't arrive in Toronto to rehearse for their latest tour, which launches Aug. 21 in Boston, until about mid-July. The Stones won't be setting up at the Masonic Temple, as they have done previously, Cohl said.

"They will be rehearsing at a different location. I'll say that. It's not the Masonic Temple. I won't say where it is."

So the rumours about the Stones recording in Paris were pointless, as most of us in France thought. They recorded at Mick's house in Fourchette (still in France but about 150 km from Paris) and just began the mixing and probably overdubbing in L.A. Well, well! Album recorded in one of the Stones' house in France, then finished in a L.A studio... Doesn't that remind you of something?

On another note, Cohl pays tribute to the Stones in the article. Questioned on "his greatest professionnal achievement":

"There's absolutely no contest," Cohl said. "It's the fact that the Rolling Stones have decided to keep me on board for almost two decades. And, frankly, I first promoted them in 1974 -- so I've been associated with them 31 years, but basically full-time for almost the last two decades. I still can't believe they call me. I can't. It's sort of like, 'Wow.'

"It is the Rolling Stones, after all. It is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. I don't think familiarity breeds contempt in this case. It just breeds respect."

June 5th, 2005 02:54 PM
Soldatti It seems that they are against the clock again, a la Steel Wheels circa.
June 5th, 2005 05:20 PM
Monkey Woman I thought the same, Soldatti. It might be a good thing, not enough time to niggle over and overpolish the album... Hardcore fans should be happy.
June 5th, 2005 05:31 PM
IanBillen
Working against the clock-

What a bunch of Bullshit. We hear this every time from them.
They had so much time to do this album it's silly. Ronnie and Mick were so busy doing other things with other people is why it isn't finished yet. And maybe Keith as well. We hear this every time from them. They dick around, and dick around, then say oh-no we had a dead-line we were really pressed for time.
I wouldn't be pissed but when a band rushes things it can hinder the quality of the album. That is why Steel Wheels wasn't 110% and some of the reason maybe Bridges wasn't as good as Voodoo.

I wonder if it is even for real anymore. I truly do. I think they want to release the album right around tour start so they act like they are still at it till the end so alot of fans don't get too discouraged waiting for the album like a Guns n roses Chinese Democracy type thing.

Ian
June 5th, 2005 05:40 PM
Monkey Woman Oh yes, they may well be working against the clock after letting the time run through their hands. Between competing projects (hello, Mick, how's the production of the "Women" movie going?), nerves or ill health (Ronnie?) and simple laziness (well, to be nice to Keith, say rather being too fond of holidays with the family), the Stones could very well have fallen behind schedule.
June 5th, 2005 08:01 PM
Soldatti I told you Ian, they did this album in three cumulative months if we count 6 weeks in 2004 (June/September/November), 2 weeks in March and 3 weeks in May plus 3 weeks of mix in June. Mick said that the album will be very simple and raw, and we will get an album like that: 2 or 3 guitars, bass, drums, maybe some piano and harp and nothing else.
They will not spend a whole year of recording again, VL was the last time and they slicked up a great album.
June 6th, 2005 02:31 AM
IanBillen [quote]Soldatti wrote:
I told you Ian, they did this album in three cumulative months if we count 6 weeks in 2004 (June/September/November), 2 weeks in March and 3 weeks in May plus 3 weeks of mix in June. Mick said that the album will be very simple and raw, and we will get an album like that: 2 or 3 guitars, bass, drums, maybe some piano and harp and nothing else.
They will not spend a whole year of recording again, VL was the last time and they slicked up a great album.

________________________________________________________________________________

Well I don't know but I certainly hope your wrong this time Soldatti. Three months isn't enough time to write/record/mix a great album if your The Rolling Stones in todays day and time. The White Stripes and some other bands could tackle that without any problem but The Stones have taken considerably more time than that since the early seventies on their all new studio releases. Don't get me wrong...I want a raw album just as you do. I just don't want the song writing compromised because of the albums time frame.

Ian
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)