ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Lynn!
Backstage with Chris Farlowe
© 1982 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Aid 2 Official:Philly July 2nd In! Return to archive
May 31st, 2005 09:36 AM
gimmekeef http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/05/31/1064641.html
May 31st, 2005 09:39 AM
gimmekeef U2 confirms they'll play London portion..
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/05/30/1063093.html
May 31st, 2005 09:42 AM
gimmekeef List of artists here..Look at Philly what a joke!
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/05/31/1064641.html
May 31st, 2005 10:15 AM
GimmeExile WMMR confirmed Bruce Springsteen at Philly!
May 31st, 2005 10:19 AM
gimmekeef Thank God for that...what a pathetic line up otherwise...
May 31st, 2005 10:19 AM
GimmeExile Foo Fighters and Dave Matthews Band at Philly.

More artists will be added as the event date approaches...What's this deal about a lottery for getting tickets?

[Edited by GimmeExile]
May 31st, 2005 11:46 AM
Busch1 I was at the Philly press conference. Larry Magid of Electric Factory Concerts, the local promoter who also worked on the original Live Aid, was asked specifically about the Stones in Philly. His response: "There will be some very significant acts added." Talked about logistics, short notice, etc., but said in the end he thinks Philly's line-up will be "more significant" than any of the others, including London. After the press conference, he said announcements about additional acts were being delayed to "kind of drag this thing out."
Take it for what it's worth. Not a confirmation of the Stones but not a denial either. Hopefully they'll see that the Philly line-up needs some serious help and will jump on board.
May 31st, 2005 01:29 PM
mac_daddy sucks to be a spice girl....

NOT GONNABE
EXCLUSIVE Live 8 snub for Spice Girls as bosses brand their music too trivial for gig to aid starving
By Cameron Robertson

SIR Bob Geldof will today announce the glittering line-up for music spectacular Live 8 - but the Spice Girls will not be in it.

The decision by concert bosses to axe them from the concert will be a bitter blow to the five stars who had hoped to re-form and play together for the first time since they split in 1998.

Geri Halliwell, 32, Victoria Beckham, 31, Melanie C, 31, Melanie B, 29, and 29-year-old Emma Bunton.

A source said: "The girls will be gutted by the decision."

Advertisement

But Live 8 organisers were adamant their style of music did not fit in with the serious political message about world poverty the transatlantic event hopes to portray.

A BBC spokesman said: "Many of the biggest rock stars in the world have agreed to take part, and the Spice Girls just don't fit.

"It's a political rally to put pressure on world leaders and their kind of pop act didn't seem right for this kind of event. There was also a practical problem that with so many great international rock stars and bands wanting to do their bit, there just won't be time for the Spice Girls.

"Perhaps, if five or six bands pulled out it would be different, but the truth is it's just not going to happen."

Among the 16 major acts Sir Bob is expected to reveal will be Sir Paul McCartney and U2, who are due to open the London end of the event in Hyde Park with the Beatles classic Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Robbie Williams hopes to do a Queen track - ideally We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions - before performing his hit Angels.

Sting is to sing The Police classic Every Breath You Take, while Annie Lennox wants to do Why. Oasis have been in discussions about playing My Generation by The Who, who are also expected to perform.

Other big names being lined up include Outkast, Destiny's Child, Black-Eyed Peas, Linkin Park, Alicia Keys and Mary J Blige.

US rapper Eminem is due to play at the Washington concert which will be screened after the London gig.

There will be simultaneous events in France and Germany.

The event, for the Make Poverty History campaign, which is backed by the Mirror, comes 20 years after the first Live Aid in 1985 which raised £60million for the starving of Ethiopia and was watched by 1.5billion around the globe.

More than 100,000 tickets for the Hyde Park gig will go on sale next Monday - available by texting a number which printed in the Mirror on that day.

Giant screens will be put up in squares and parks in around 20 cities and towns around Britain for those who cannot get into the concerts.

Jonathan Ross and Jamie Theakston will compere the London concert and Graham Norton the US one.

The event, aimed at banishing Third World debt, comes on the eve of the G8 Summit of rich nations at Gleneagles, Scotland, on July 6-8.

For the first time in 35 years, the Wimbledon women's tennis final, which many fans hope 17-year-old champion Maria Sharapova will take part in, will be switched from BBC1 to BBC2.

link

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 31st, 2005 09:49 PM
Soldatti The Philly line-up is a pain in the ass.
May 31st, 2005 10:56 PM
Busch1 Yes, not exactly what I'd call stellar at this point. The only thing worse might be Tim McGraw and Faith Hill in Rome. That's a pretty odd match there.
May 31st, 2005 11:22 PM
Dan
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
sucks to be a spice girl....

NOT GONNABE
EXCLUSIVE Live 8 snub for Spice Girls as bosses brand their music too trivial for gig to aid starving
By Cameron Robertson

SIR Bob Geldof will today announce the glittering line-up for music spectacular Live 8 - but the Spice Girls will not be in it.

The decision by concert bosses to axe them from the concert will be a bitter blow to the five stars who had hoped to re-form and play together for the first time since they split in 1998.

Yeah they keep turning down money to perform, but decide to do it for what they view as a good cause (even though those stupid fucked up countries should pay their debt) and suddenly they aren't allowed to play. And too trivial? Most of the people who attend don't give a fuck about third world debt, they are just there for very trivial reasons. I guess I know why that talentless fucktard Geldof was parodied in that Father Ted episode.
May 31st, 2005 11:54 PM
Soldatti The Spice Girls again?
Please no...
June 1st, 2005 08:43 AM
gimmekeef Last time I saw the Spice Girls was at MSG in 97...(MSG3)...I was in 5th row looking back at them in row 10...Was a great feeling..they looked bad then for crissakes.....Anyway wonder how that asshole Phil Collins is goin to fly to 5 countries in one day now?
June 1st, 2005 05:14 PM
Busch1 PLEASE no Phil Collins!!! That's about the only thing positive I'm seeing about these shows so far!! ... Well, I guess London's line-up isn't too bad, but God, please keep that wanker from doing his "look at me" thing with this one. He probably still doesn't realize that Live Aid wasn't about him!
June 1st, 2005 05:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
Busch1 wrote:

Take it for what it's worth. Not a confirmation of the Stones but not a denial either. Hopefully they'll see that the Philly line-up needs some serious help and will jump on board.

Four of the five shows are in Europe. One in the US.
The Stones will be recording in Europe around the time of the show, probably in the city/country where one of the shows is taking place (Paris)

In the (still unlikely) event of the Stones playing this show, I would imagine that logistically Philadelphia would be the least likely logistically, although I guess it wouldnt do ticket sales any harm
June 3rd, 2005 02:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot Note to self....on July 2nd stay very very far away from Philadelphia....even if the Stones are playing.

June 3rd, 2005 08:03 AM
gimmekeef C'mon Sir Stones...maybe the boy's would invite Will Smith or Piss Diddly on stage!....I'm headin for Rome myself..What a lineup there!!!
June 3rd, 2005 10:43 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Note to self....on July 2nd stay very very far away from Philadelphia....even if the Stones are playing.

pollstar says everbody gets 10 - 15 minutes... 6 hours total...

if the stones do it at all, i bet it will be video sent from somewhere else...

i still would stay away from philly that day, though...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
June 3rd, 2005 11:04 AM
Busch1 I gotta think the Stones would get a little more than the 3-song, 15-20 minute set if they wind up doing this thing. Maybe not more than 5-7, but they'd probably be a closer, and yes, there would probably be some others up on stage with them for the last song or two. That's just how these things go. Just keep P. Diddy backstage taping bootlegs to sample for his next album and away from the stage!
June 4th, 2005 10:56 AM
Poison Dart I hope the Stones don't perform.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)