ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Lynn!
Backstage with Chris Farlowe
© 1982 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Worst Concert...Ever! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
May 31st, 2005 11:34 PM
stones-addict The Worst: I got suckered into seeing Roch Voisine by some chick I was hoping to bone.

Second Worst: Corrosion Of Conformity opening for Megadeth. COC rocked but Megadeth was kinda lame. On the bright side, I got to meet Dave Mustaine.
[Edited by stones-addict]
June 1st, 2005 03:36 AM
FotiniD Easily (and I do mean easily) Manu Chao's gig in Athens, June 2001.

We had no tickets and according to greek tradition, just waited around outside the venue and an hour later the guard let us in for free. Typical.

Everyone was stoned out of their brains and I must have been the only sober person in the crowd

And then all hell broke loose. What do you know, the guy you love starts kissing someone out of the blue and wait, it's not you, it's your friend! A whole different story.

But still to this day I can't even remotely think of Manu Chao and not get angry
June 1st, 2005 03:50 AM
MrPleasant "He collects antique firearms, and says his favorite rock group (present company excluded) is the Beatles. His favorite composers are Cole Porter, Duke Ellington, John Lennon and Paul McCartney."

Hey, stones-addict, I did not know that (about Charlie). Thanks.
June 1st, 2005 11:28 AM
69 Chevy About a year ago I caught Peter Frampton at the Verizon Theater in Houston. The fan club people were pissed because security made no effort to prevent people from leaving their seats and walking to the front of the stage in front of the seats. I guess they were planning to sit during the show? Frampton had a new album, but 95% of the audience wanted to hear selections from "Comes Alive". Frampton looking more like an accountant(no slam on accountants) then a rock star totally dissed the crowd and walked off in less then an hour. I heard a rumor he was upset that someone was blowing pot smoke towards the stage. If he had taken a deep breath it would have been a better show. I got in free and was still disappointed. If I had paid for tickets I would have demanded a refund!
June 1st, 2005 12:48 PM
Jair I forgot to mention previously a Bob Dylan concert down here in Brasil.
It was some year in the 80's in Porto Alegre city, about 60 miles from here where I live.

He destroyed all his songs, you simply didnt get identify what he was singing or talking.

He didn't look to the audience during all concert. Didn't say hello or thanks.

But at the end he should returned our money. Awful concert. The worst, definitely.

What a piece!

June 1st, 2005 12:55 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff The CLASH, in Milan 1984...
boring, posing and shit music
June 2nd, 2005 08:48 AM
Madafaka
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Everyone was stoned out of their brains and I must have been the only sober person in the crowd

The most popular Manu Chao's song says 'Me gusta marihuana, me gustas tu!' (I like marihuana, I like you!)
June 2nd, 2005 08:52 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

The most popular Manu Chao's song says 'Me gusta marihuana, me gustas tu!' (I like marihuana, I like you!)

Oh yeah, I found out the hard way
Jeez!
I think I'll sue him
June 2nd, 2005 09:05 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

Manu Chao did 2 albums with one riff...good summer music anyway
June 2nd, 2005 09:17 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Manu Chao did 2 albums with one riff...good summer music anyway

Oh well, yeah, well... I'm a bit biased
June 2nd, 2005 11:05 AM
Madafaka Manu Chao sings 'Santa Maradona', isn't it? Or Mano Negra? I don't remember very well.
June 2nd, 2005 12:55 PM
Cant Catch Me I saw Iggy Pop at William and Mary Hall in Williamsburg, Va., sometime around 1986. Iggy did a great show, but he was opening for the Pretenders. We walked out after Iggy's set, so I don't really know how the Pretenders were. They're just not for me, a couple of good songs and that's it.

Funny, though, or maybe not funny, as he began either China Girl or Sister Midnight somebody hit Iggy square in the face so hard with an orange that it exploded with juice flying all over the place. Iggy paused just a second and started the song as if nothing happened. Fucking amazing. On David Letterman a bit later he actually mentioned the orange when Letterman asked him if people threw stuff at him during concerts, a la Metallic KO. I was most impressed, to quote an Iggy song (Dum Dum Boys).
[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
June 2nd, 2005 03:14 PM
Jerry in Boston REO Speedwagon - Cincinnati, Ohio - around 1985 or 1986 or so - Some guy in college that had a crush on me paid my way. The show sucked.

Bon Jovi - Ohio Buckeye Lake Center - May of 1987, I think. It was hotter than hell that day and there were like 55,000 people jammed into this huge... field, or whatever... and BJ SUCKED! Thank god Cinderella, who properly opened for them, ROCKED!

Rod Stewart - Ipswich, UK - uh, around 1992, I think. I was in the Air Force at Alconbury at the time and they gave us free tix. It sucked.

KISS (I've seen TONS of KISS shows cuz I love em, but this one sucked!) - Anaheim, CA - "Farewell"-to-the-original-lineup Tour - March 2000. Man, oh man, this show sucked hard. It was spinal tap in person. I was 10th row center cuz I love KISS but the whole show was a nightmare from the get-go... Announcer called the city Los Angeles (nope, it's Anaheim, different place!)... lights were out in the logos, part of the bigscreen had holes in the video... Ace lost his way during "2,000 Man"... Gene got trapped on his flying rig about 3 feet from the stage and the roadies had to cut him down... Paul got trapped on his flying rig out over the audience and the roadies had to pull him back, Gene tried to sing Love Gun in the meantime and doesn't know the words... to a song they've done at every concert for the last, like 25 years!... LOL IT SUCKED!!! And the bigscreen at the end of it all... holes and all... said: "Thank you, Los Angeles"! The crowd members that recovered first from what they just witnessed, filed out of the arena in near silence seeing still-stunned fans glued to their seats from shock.
June 2nd, 2005 03:26 PM
FPM C10 That Kiss show sounds like it was GREAT!

That's the way I picture ALL Kiss shows.

I think my worst concert was the first one...Ten Years After at the Harrisburg Farm Show Arena. Opener was Dr. John and he was REALLY great, but Ten Years After had a real case of rock star-itis, came out an hour late and the doofus bass player with the Dali moustache berated us for standing in shit (since the hall was also used for livestock exhibitions). They had just released the album with "I'd Love To Change The World" on it but didn't play any of it. After a few songs the PA shut down, so we were treated to an impromptu drum solo, then a quick run through their one claim to fame, "I'm Going Home" after which they went home.

June 2nd, 2005 03:44 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
That Kiss show sounds like it was GREAT!

That's the way I picture ALL Kiss shows.

Yeah, well, when I was a kid I thought all Stones concerts were like Altamont. Thank god I was wrong!
June 2nd, 2005 03:50 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
I saw Iggy Pop at William and Mary Hall in Williamsburg, Va., sometime around 1986. Iggy did a great show, but he was opening for the Pretenders. We walked out after Iggy's set, so I don't really know how the Pretenders were. They're just not for me, a couple of good songs and that's it.

Yeah, Iggy was opening for the Pretenders that whole tour. They played Rec Hall in State College PA the same year. To her credit, when Chrissie Hynde came out, the first thing she said was "I wanna kiss the stage where Iggy Pop spat." And she did.
June 2nd, 2005 04:03 PM
Dan Yeah I have seen KISS about 12 times and that Anaheim show was absolutely dreadful, as was the other 2 shows I saw that tour. If I had actually paid for tickets I would have felt ripped off. Same stale setlist and everything played a lot slower than it should be. And I think it was all the awful mistakes that saved the show and made it at least marginally entertaining. And Ted Nugent was decent and something to look forward to the other nights.
June 2nd, 2005 04:19 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Dan wrote:
...and I think it was all the awful mistakes that saved the show and made it at least marginally entertaining. And Ted Nugent was decent and something to look forward to the other nights.

I don't know what language this is written in...it seems to make no sense to me and is making my head explode...

June 2nd, 2005 05:04 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Dan wrote:
Yeah I have seen KISS about 12 times and that Anaheim show was absolutely dreadful, as was the other 2 shows I saw that tour. If I had actually paid for tickets I would have felt ripped off. Same stale setlist and everything played a lot slower than it should be. And I think it was all the awful mistakes that saved the show and made it at least marginally entertaining. And Ted Nugent was decent and something to look forward to the other nights.

I saw Anaheim that year as well as Oakland, Irvine, and San Bernardino. Out of those 4 Anaheim was clearly the worst show but the others were great in comparison, in my opinion. But then, I love KISS so much I give them a lot of suck room. Just like I do the Stones.

I f**king hate Ted Nugent! He's a great guitar player but I hate his attitude. So no, I did not look forward to listening to his right-wing bullsh*t political ramblings each and every night and did my best to miss as much of him as possible. But hey, maybe that was just me. LOL
June 2nd, 2005 07:34 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Worst concert I've ever seen was Eric Clapton - it was like 197? in Jersey City. He was so strung out on dope (must have been heroin) the concert came to a dead halt - he couldn't play, sing or stand up and he was staggering and swaying. Maybe drunk too? Whatever his state, he was so out there the show ended in about an hour. People were booing and throwing shit at the stage. This was a shame because that's when LAYLA was really popular and that album rocked and we were expecting some kick ass guitar. I think he was a junkie back then.

had the exact same experience in adelaide in (i think) '74

saw the Psychedelic Furs in '82 - the ultimate in tedium

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
June 2nd, 2005 09:17 PM
FPM C10 You know, I saw the Furs around then and kinda liked them. They had a girl playing cello. Their first two albums are decent for 80s new wave. I think my favorite song was "Fall" off the first one. "We will live our stupid dream." "Needles on the beach at Goa / we will have another flower" is the most obscure drug reference ever.

I just always sorta liked Richard Butler's voice.
June 2nd, 2005 09:24 PM
HellsRollingThunder Dear "Bitch"
What an outstanding picture of Mick and Keith! Beautiful color
and very clear! Never saw that one before. Great shot!
June 2nd, 2005 09:28 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I just always sorta liked Richard Butler's voice.

yeah - i didn't mind the band and thought their first album and, as you say, Butler's voice had something going on

i was actually looking forward to the gig - the reason it was so disappointing was they all (in particular Butler)seemed to be extremely drunk, uninspired and disinterested
June 2nd, 2005 09:30 PM
Jair
quote:
HellsRollingThunder wrote:
Dear "Bitch"
What an outstanding picture of Mick and Keith! Beautiful color
and very clear! Never saw that one before. Great shot!

Completely agree. Btw, I've changed my wallpaper today.
Thanks Bitch.
It was you who did take the shot?
June 2nd, 2005 10:54 PM
Bitch Thanks!I don't know why the pic posted extra large - but it's really clear! I found it somewhere in RS cyberspace.

As for this thread, I never realized that SO many bands can SUCK, including some mentioned here that I consider GREAT(Clapton, Dylan). Not everyone who can play great on an album can do it justice LIVE, and consistantly. The STONES know how to do it right LIVE, ON STAGE! They give good show.
June 3rd, 2005 01:36 AM
Sir Stonesalot Hey I forgot about Dylan in Harrisburg around '88 or something. Fucking terrible. GE Smith was the guitar player. I'm pretty well versed in Dylanology...and I couldn't make out what the fuck they were playing. Put me off Dylan for a lot of years.

Luckily Steve Earle was the opener...and that was worth the price of admission alone.

Oddly enough, Dylan was also responsible for 2 of the best shows I've ever seen...

I saw Alanis Morrisette during the Jagged Little Pill thing. A bunch of blow and free tickets. I sat with a buddy of mine, and we were surrounded by a bunch of 12 to 15 year old girls. And they sang along badly...even the naughty bits. Totally creeped me out. A crappy crap show.

Hmmmm, what else....

Oh yeah...how could a Nuge/Kiss show NOT suck? I mean, they suck all the time, and they have ALWAYS sucked...right? How could you expect anything else? I remember thinking Kiss was great when I was like 12...but that was because they blew fire and spit blood....and 12 year old boys think spitting blood and blowing fire is way cool. But once I got to be like 13, I saw how completely lame they were.

And Ted...well, he has no redeeming qualities at all. Journey To The Center Of A Mind by the Amboy Dukes is the only thing that the guy has ever done in his life that doesn't suck like a Hoovermatic...and I liked the Ramones version better anyhow. The Nuge is a fucking moron, and I wouldn't want to even be in the same building as him....let alone actually PAY to be in the same building as him. He shoots perfectly good guitars with his bow and arrows! Holy FUCK! What kind of an ANIMAL would do that to a poor innocent guitar! Look, if he doesn't want the things...I can find a good, loving home for them. He doesn't have to murder them.

Ted doesn't still wear that stupid loin cloth thingy, does he?
June 3rd, 2005 02:45 AM
UGot2Rollme my wife convinced me to see Duran Duran last night in Zurich and they were actually not too bad (my expectations were very low) until the band introductions where Simon LeBon revealed himself to be nothing but a big (slightly bloated) wanker.

one of the worst concert experiences I had was waking up with dried blood in my ear after a Nugent show (late 70's)in Philly - I don't think they had any concept of noise damage back then.

also, quite embarassing to admit it, but I was virtually deaf in one ear after for about a month after an REO Speedwagon show...

accompanying my drunk brother in law to a Jimmy Buffet show in Atlanta - he puked up a bunch of Margaritas (what else?) and we had to leave after the 5th song

onto the good bands:

I saw the WHO play a very mediocre show at the Cap Center, near DC in the early 80's. It was 1st show of their tour and there were many mistakes.

Grateful Dead - an April 1 show in the Omni, circa 1993, Jerry was incapable of playing anything resembling a decent lead during the whole 2nd set (if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will!)

Hearing Mick being completely off key during the first couple of verses of Paint it Black in Manchester on Licks tour was quite painful.
June 3rd, 2005 03:04 AM
UGot2Rollme forgot one - Aerosmith at Philadelphia Spectrum, late 70's. They hated playing Philly because of their previous two experiences there - 1) someone had thrown an M80 at the stage that burned Joe Perry's hand prior to an encore, 2) someone had thrown a beer bottle at the stage that shattered on Tyler's mike stand. So, they were pissed and drunk and played a really shitty show. Styx warmed up and blew them off stage (Grand Illusion tour).
June 3rd, 2005 05:26 AM
dealer squealing Van Morrison in London 2000. Worst concert ever with out a doubt! It was like some terrible wedding band and Morrison horrible.
June 3rd, 2005 07:10 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
my wife convinced me to see Duran Duran last night in Zurich and they were actually not too bad (my expectations were very low) until the band introductions where Simon LeBon revealed himself to be nothing but a big (slightly bloated) wanker.

I saw Duran Duran open for Bowie in '87. They played a full set and I was surprised that they put on a great show. I was even more surprised that I enjoyed them more than I did Bowie at the time.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)