ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Lynn!
Backstage with Chris Farlowe
© 1982 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Worst Concert...Ever! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
May 30th, 2005 05:05 PM
M.O.W.A.T. What was your worst concert?

Mine:

Huey Lewis & the News (1989) -- only 'cause I got free tickets. My god what a snooze-fest!
May 30th, 2005 05:19 PM
Gazza Bon Jovi opening for the Stones in Paris in 1995. That evening's bill truly was a case of the sublime and the ridiculous. I almost cancelled my flight when I heard they would be the opening act.

They were the musical definition of interminable.
May 30th, 2005 05:30 PM
Madafaka Pantera opening for AC/DC in Buenos Aires. Philip Anselmo live is the worst that I've been!
May 30th, 2005 05:35 PM
Dan Saw Phil Anselmo with Superjoint Ritual at Ozzfest last year. And he had the nerve to crown himself the King Of Metal at a gig where Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Slayer were performing.

My worst concert: Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the San Diego Sports Arena Sep 19 2003. Greendale was L-A-M-E.
May 30th, 2005 06:41 PM
lotsajizz the Dead, second time at Highgate Vermont, 6-14-95....twice the crowd of the year before, bunch of drunks overran the gate, the Dead played the worst in 100 shows I saw them....never was a man more obviously and publicly dying than was Jerry Grcia that final, awful summer tour...sooooo fuckin' sad....
May 30th, 2005 07:37 PM
polksalad69
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the Dead, second time at Highgate Vermont, 6-14-95....twice the crowd of the year before, bunch of drunks overran the gate, the Dead played the worst in 100 shows I saw them....never was a man more obviously and publicly dying than was Jerry Grcia that final, awful summer tour...sooooo fuckin' sad....

yeah they were pretty terrible that last show at Soldier Field. Now that I read some of the comments, I may have to download it.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=13996

another bad one was the Cult opening for Metallica on the And Justice tour. they said they were sober. I don't think they were.
May 30th, 2005 07:53 PM
CraigP The Pretenders opening for the Licks tour in Boston. (2002)

They blow!
May 30th, 2005 07:57 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
CraigP wrote:
The Pretenders opening for the Licks tour in Boston. (2002)

They blow!

I was there...they were and are great and were very well recieved, you must have been the one looking bummed out!...when the Black Eyed Peas take the stage this summer you will WISH it was Chrissy up there!!
May 30th, 2005 08:06 PM
time is on my side I've seen a few concerts during my time that have sucked but I'm going to mention one I saw just a few months ago. It was a Mountain show where you would expect that they would play, well Mountain songs. It did have Leslie West (boy has he loss some excess baggage) and the drummer Corky Laing. Instead they played total of 3 Mountain songs out of the total of seven they actually played. They just went through the motions probably because the place was half empty. Terrible concert and a waste of money.
May 30th, 2005 08:09 PM
Soldatti So many...
May 30th, 2005 08:18 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
I've seen a few concerts during my time that have sucked but I'm going to mention one I saw just a few months ago. It was a Mountain show where you would expect that they would play, well Mountain songs. It did have Leslie West (boy has he loss some excess baggage) and the drummer Corky Laing. Instead they played total of 3 Mountain songs out of the total of seven they actually played. They just went through the motions probably because the place was half empty. Terrible concert and a waste of money.

Which reminds me that Mountain (along with April Wine) are opening for Deep Purple in Ottawa next month.
May 30th, 2005 08:42 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Dan wrote:
Saw Phil Anselmo with Superjoint Ritual at Ozzfest last year. And he had the nerve to crown himself the King Of Metal at a gig where Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Slayer were performing.

Hahaha! He's so stupid!
May 30th, 2005 09:01 PM
John Wood I have said this many times without a doubt The Rolling Stones at SARS stock, sorry guys but that is the honest truth. I will always love the Stones but I just could not believe what I was hearing!!!!!! A very sad peformance, no wonder people in Toronto aren't running out to buy Stones tickets. Now if ACDC tickets went onsale!!
The Stones blew it big time that day.
May 30th, 2005 09:14 PM
Angiegirl Stones in Amsterdam stadium, August 19, 2003. Worst I've ever seen. Second, but close, is Rod Stewart, Rotterdam, June 1995. No words. No words.
May 30th, 2005 09:20 PM
Steel Wheels Chris Robinson in Philly a few years back. Horrible. Boring. Tame AND lame. It was the only show I ever walked out of, and I'm a huge fan of the first two Crowes albums.

I also saw Aerosmith on the Cow Udder tour...Like a Lick, or something like that. Eat The Roast...the album with the cow on the cover.

Jesus Christ what was I thinking? A dreaful show. It was the beginning of the end for Aerosmith.
May 30th, 2005 10:35 PM
corgi37 This must have been early-mid 90's. Before Voodoo Lounge, anyway. My mum used to "baby sit" for the Manager of Tina Turner, Roger Davies (an Aussie - as usual, we are simply the best!). What she did was, baby sat his elderly mum. They just used to go shopping together and all that sort of stuff. Mum even went to Roger's 2nd wedding!

Anyway, Roger asked my Mum about her kids. She mentioned i was a Stones nut. He asked her if i would be interested in seeing a big act that was soon to tour Oz. Mum, God bless her, said of course. Roger said he'd take care of me.

He did!!!

I got great seats and a backstage pass for....

....Janet Jackson!

Man, what a bloody travesty it was. I took a chick from work who i was trying to pork. I didnt know virtually any song! She knew them all. This was the tour where Janet would break down and cry. Man, she sucked every body in. She cried for like 5 minutes. I was easily the oldest person there, and also, about the only (straight) male. Janet incorporated "Satisfaction" into one of her songs.

I nearly fainted!

But, after the "show", true to his word, i was indeed looked after, and got backstage passes. Janet never showed up, but some local celebs were there, as well as members of the "band". Good mime artists they were! hahaha.

I at least scored some free beer to get the taste of "cheese" out of my mouth. I also had the good manners to chat to Roger, introduce myself, thank him, say how wonderful it was, and it was the greatest night of my life.

To make matters worse, the girl i took, wouldnt put out.

May 31st, 2005 12:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man, I've seen some truely horrible shows in my time...usually because the chick I was fucking at the time wanted to go.

One really awful night stands out....a triple bill on Harrisburg's City Island.

Night Ranger
Krokus
Def Lepard

Mindnumbingly horrid.

However, the chick that I took to that "show", unlike Corgi's, put out. She put out in the car in the parking lot...made me pull over on the way home so she could put out some more...and put out again in the driveway of her house.

Still wasn't worth it.

The worst show I ever saw that a chick didn't drag me to was John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and Peter Green's Splinter Group. Mayall's guitar player sounded like a cheesey Billy Gibbons, and I think Peter must have just had a stroke or something. Couldn't understand a thing he said, didn't really sing so much as he whispertalked, and couldn't string more than two notes together all night. It was just terrible.
May 31st, 2005 02:44 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Night Ranger
Krokus
Def Lepard

Oh, SS... you poor, poor bastard. I mean... fucking Night Ranger!
May 31st, 2005 11:33 AM
gimmekeef Saw a couple Clapton shows in early 80's that blew chunks...He was goin thru motions....No God those nights...
May 31st, 2005 11:39 AM
Factory Girl Rod Stewart circa 1994. He was bored by his own music. I will never go to see him again.
May 31st, 2005 11:40 AM
Joey
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
What was your worst concert?

Mine:

Huey Lewis & the News (1989) -- only 'cause I got free tickets. My god what a snooze-fest!

Asia , 1983 , Civic Auditorium , Omaha , NE

******* PHEW *********

Stinky ! ™
May 31st, 2005 11:56 AM
time is on my side
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Stones in Amsterdam stadium, August 19, 2003. Worst I've ever seen. Second, but close, is Rod Stewart, Rotterdam, June 1995. No words. No words.

Saw the August 19th show in Amsterdam myself and, even though they had a great setlist, I would have to agree it was an awful performance. Definitely the worst performance I've ever seen the Stones give. I showed up, with some degree of reluctance, the next day for the scheduled second show. They told me outside the stadium that it had been cancelled because Mick had gotten sick (found out later he had throat problems). I was wondering why the train to the stadium was so lightly populated with people when the day before it had been packed.
May 31st, 2005 12:00 PM
Jumacfly the Wailers....and , to be honest, the Stones voodoo lounge in Montpellier 95...sloppy performance, the beginning of posing, the triumph of screens over music etc etc..
May 31st, 2005 12:04 PM
Candace Youngblood Dave Matthews Band

Horrible music, horrible seats, horrible crowd.
But hey, the ticket was free.
May 31st, 2005 12:19 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>>the Dead, second time at Highgate Vermont, 6-14-95....twice the crowd of the year before, bunch of drunks overran the gate, the Dead played the worst in 100 shows I saw them....never was a man more obviously and publicly dying than was Jerry Grcia that final, awful summer tour...sooooo fuckin' sad....<<<

Yes, this was a very sad time in my life. I had been on "The Bus" for many years and had seen so many great fucking shows where The Dead just totally transformed the venue into a spaceship ride out of this world. Then the summer of 95' came and I couldn't believe how bad Jerry looked and played. It was obvious the man was dying before our very eyes. You could easily tell that the end was near and I walked out of each show not knowing if I would ever see the guy again. Yet even in his terrible state he sometimes delivered on those outstanding ballads such as "Brokedown Palace", Black Muddy River" and So Many Roads", all songs that are reflective of a man that is nearing the end of his life. When he sang those songs you could really feel that he was singing it from the heart and as if he knew that this was the fall of his seasons. So when the word of his death came, I wasn't really surprised, but still devastated. That was such a sad time in my life. So anyway, although most of the shows that summer where not up to par, it was a privilege to see the band and Jerry one last go around. Even though the shows were not great by any means, they still were better then most bands simply because it was The Dead. So, I'm not really sure what would be my worst concert, it surely wouldn't be The Stones either, even on their worst night. I probably would have to say some shit band like Loverboy or something. God how awful is that!
Long live the good ole Grateful Dead!
Long live The Rolling Stones!!!!!!!!
May 31st, 2005 12:31 PM
HellsRollingThunder Corgi may have me beat here, that truly was a rotten experience.
Anyway if any of you happen to remember Bobby Sherman, me
and my friends SNUCK into the place where he was having a
concert and I ended up walking down the aisle over the upper
tier seats. He was down below on stage throwing the peace sign
around like a wildman and looked up and saw us (I was like 19 or
20). I had to get out of there because the whole thing was making
me seriously ill. Then when I got into my car with my friends he
ended up in his limo or whatever it was right in FRONT of me!
YUCK!!
May 31st, 2005 01:19 PM
Jair Stones, January 27 1995, at the Pacaembu Stadium, Sao Paulo, Brasil.
Less than 20.000 fools - including me - under the biggest downfall i've ever seen.

May 31st, 2005 01:54 PM
blackandblue when I was young I ended up in a stadium where a man with a grubby beard was uttering unintelligible sounds. No doubt the worst performance I've ever witnissed. That fungus-face was Joe Cocker.
May 31st, 2005 02:07 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
>>>the Dead, second time at Highgate Vermont, 6-14-95....twice the crowd of the year before, bunch of drunks overran the gate, the Dead played the worst in 100 shows I saw them....never was a man more obviously and publicly dying than was Jerry Grcia that final, awful summer tour...sooooo fuckin' sad....<<<

Yes, this was a very sad time in my life. I had been on "The Bus" for many years and had seen so many great fucking shows where The Dead just totally transformed the venue into a spaceship ride out of this world. Then the summer of 95' came and I couldn't believe how bad Jerry looked and played. It was obvious the man was dying before our very eyes. You could easily tell that the end was near and I walked out of each show not knowing if I would ever see the guy again. Yet even in his terrible state he sometimes delivered on those outstanding ballads such as "Brokedown Palace", Black Muddy River" and So Many Roads", all songs that are reflective of a man that is nearing the end of his life. When he sang those songs you could really feel that he was singing it from the heart and as if he knew that this was the fall of his seasons. So when the word of his death came, I wasn't really surprised, but still devastated. That was such a sad time in my life. So anyway, although most of the shows that summer where not up to par, it was a privilege to see the band and Jerry one last go around. Even though the shows were not great by any means, they still were better then most bands simply because it was The Dead. So, I'm not really sure what would be my worst concert, it surely wouldn't be The Stones either, even on their worst night. I probably would have to say some shit band like Loverboy or something. God how awful is that!
Long live the good ole Grateful Dead!
Long live The Rolling Stones!!!!!!!!

Nicely said, HM!
May 31st, 2005 10:32 PM
Bitch Worst concert I've ever seen was Eric Clapton - it was like 197? in Jersey City. He was so strung out on dope (must have been heroin) the concert came to a dead halt - he couldn't play, sing or stand up and he was staggering and swaying. Maybe drunk too? Whatever his state, he was so out there the show ended in about an hour. People were booing and throwing shit at the stage. This was a shame because that's when LAYLA was really popular and that album rocked and we were expecting some kick ass guitar. I think he was a junkie back then.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)