ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Lynn!
Backstage with Chris Farlowe
© 1982 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brown Sugar Rehearsal Up on RS.COM Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 28th, 2005 09:35 AM
blackandblue
quote:
T&A wrote:

No...they can't

you're kidding
May 28th, 2005 09:45 AM
winter
quote:
maumau wrote:
well i never complain about professional criticism on this or any of the rs boards but this is way too much

what you see is pretty simple there's not cut during the song - WRONG - watch the video again

please, do me a favour...see twice, hear twice, think twice before posting - Piss Off! and do yourself a favor and pay attention before you respond!
May 28th, 2005 06:11 PM
maumau oh my... I STAND CORRECTED!

indeed there are 5 6 cuts of ronnie in blue shirt
so winter you're right this is not a one take video with respect to images

anyway i keep my point about your first comment:
"God only knows when the audio for this clip was recorded. In typical fucking stones fashion, they even spliced and dubbed "rehersal" footage."

the clip for me is a childish editing of footage on one single take of bs from nyc reharasal

in your comment you imply some falsehood or trick to cheat us...then you acknowledge that "the audio must be current"

that is i think in the first place the most important thing and the thing that we all were discussing upon on this thread, not the quality of close ups of ronnie, or the smoothness of the handheld camera work.

sorry, i overeacted without checking the clips in detail, but still to me is annoying to read comments that, in order to find something negative, if they don't find anything wrong in the core of the matter (in this case the very marginal and ephemeral fact that this bs is a good reharsal version a bit or more different from the recent past) they turn away and around to find some, and sure they find because that you can ever do, be the stones or anything else.

so here, while people were commenting (some appreciating / some critizing) on the band musical performance (whose audio must be current) you wanted us to focus on ronnie's blue shirt's insidious and treacherous close ups as if they meant something

so what is their most relevant meaning? sorry, must be my fault again, but i did not get it

and in the last place if you care about telling me or us, did you like this musical performance of the band?
June 2nd, 2005 12:31 PM
winter maumau,

If they took the time to edit the video, how can you be sure that they didn't also edit the audio?

I thought the performance was good - no extras, which was nice.

I'd just be curious to know how much post-recording work went into this "rehersal clip". I don't recall the timing exactly, but I believe that there was a fair amount of time between the rehearsals and the release of the video.

My point really is just to express frustration with the band's obsession with "quality control". All I want is raw undoctored live recordings, which is something that can't be said about any of their official live releases.

I'd love for them to do instant live, for example, but I don't see it happening.

wintah

June 2nd, 2005 01:49 PM
maumau ok winter i understand your point

think of the ominous edit of rocks off on live licks!
that is really horrible

but are you sure the point is quality control?
i don't know, there's something else i think

the same rocks off they published unedited on four flicks and in the part they cut off the record there wasn't any mistake

so, i think they do have a "problem" with touching live records but i think they have for a lot of reasons (one of which maybe is quality, but i don't think it is the main)

take for example the whole four flicks project

they had two years to "work" on that to deliver THE performances, they had plenty of time to control everything but in the end they came out with 3 whole show, 2 of which were very late (olympia and twick were played a couple of months before the actual release of the dvds)

in fact there you have plenty of f*§°$ up

i remember that i thought, wow! brave/strange for them to just put out entire shows and not mixing the "best takes" of the average setlist of the tour

so i agree that, sometimes, they have a problem and they have touched up sound in the past (rocks off on live licks, you would agree, is not a touch up for sound quality reason but a butcher cut for timecode reason, that if you think about is even more dumb and senseless)

here, for this reharsal clips i think that they did not give a damn about image or sound. so to answer your question: no, i am not sure, but i think it is very likely that the sound is one take and that someone at rs.com just mix up a little bit the video track (i do it myself a lot on premiere: import the file with the good soundtrack, detach from its video track and then insert here and there different kind of images)

mau
June 2nd, 2005 02:46 PM
winter mau,

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that there are reasons other than quality control for the editing - and I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Rocks Off on the last live record.

And maybe they didn't edit the audio on the rehearsal footage, but it does still peturb me that the untouched vaults have not been released at all, and that from what I understand all of the released live albums to date have been edited or overdubbed in some fashion.

I am sure that you heard the Brussel's Affair, which imo is the single greatest recording of any band ever period! No editing there, and even though it is a boot, it is fantastic.

cheers,
June 4th, 2005 08:12 AM
maumau hi winter, i agree on the vaults (yes i know brussels! ), i am not en expert on the history of rs live and how they've been "corrected" it would be interesting for me to have a complete picture of the matter

also because i think there are different kind of "touch ups". that is: i won't put on the same league a studio solo overdubbed completely on a live recording, and a different mixing level among instruments

at the very bottom i would say that it would really be a shame if the stones in concert were shit and on live records they sounded brilliant. the fact is that they're great live (with all their fu.ks up) and sound mostly great on live records.

Then, sure, one asks: why do you touch up a great thing?!!!

That is a mistery to me
maybe...ask mick?

Another rs mystery is all their great studio stuff that have been recorded and not burnt into records... :O...?

cheers
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)