ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Empire Pool, Wembley - May 12, 1968
Live Debut of Jumping Jack Flash - Last Brian Jones public performance

The Rolling Stones Files by Mark Paytress
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Not this time... Return to archive
06-01-02 12:42 AM
exileindixie Well, they're back at it again, this time for the 40th Anniversary.
It breaks my heart to say I won't be seeing them this time around.
I've only been to eight shows, which may make me a neophyte to some
on this site, but I think the Boys have raped my checkbook enough.

An anniversary tour with no theme, in support of a greatest
hits compilation? Yellow blimps aside, it's hard to see this tour
as anything but a farewell plundering of fans' bank accounts.

I work hard for my money, and I can't shell
out over $100 for an upper-deck bleacher seat in a football stadium.
If the Stones expect me to, they can go the studio and record
a new album to prove this tour is more than a final fleecing of
nostalgic Boomers.

New albums, no matter how dismal the sales, prove they are still
a creative enterprise, above the crop of '60s rockers looking to
cash in before plodding off to retirement. No matter your thoughts
on Wheels, Lounge, or Bridges, they showed more effort and interest
than cobbling together another "Hot Rocks."

Before the pissed-off replies start flying, I'm a dedicated fan
who's tired of having my favorite band take me for every cent
I have.

06-01-02 12:46 AM
Cardinal Ximinez yawn.

burp.
06-01-02 12:52 AM
gypsy cardy, i think that was a poem...too late-contest is over!
06-01-02 01:20 AM
Mickjagger1963 stop whining you can get 50 $ upper deck seats .... I respect you being a stones fan....but 50???? thats not that much dont say u have to pay over 100 for upper deck. I got 90$ for Giants Stad. and they are the lowest seats other than floor
06-01-02 08:34 AM
Open G Nobody(other than Stones and promoters) is happy about the ticket prices and the Rolling Stones added fee bullshit tour 2002-2003, we all work hard for our money, but this is the Stones we are talking about.
Most of us that got good tickets had to take a day or two off work and go through Cyber Hell trying to get good seats or wait in line and still pay through the nose.You have to sacrifice for what you want and the Stones are not worth it to you than that is your choice. In the past like many here, I have traveled cross country in a beat up old car(maverick) and slept out for tickets, slept out waiting for the stadiums to open and survived festival seating to see the stones, today the sacrifice is financial.
For me it is like gas prices. If gas went up to $3.00 a gallon I would still have to buy it, I would feel ripped off, but I would still have to buy it and I would get over it.It is your right to whine about it, but don't expect too much sympathy here cause we are savin our Sympathy for the Devil...hoo hoo, hoo hoo!

quote:
exileindixie wrote:
Well, they're back at it again, this time for the 40th Anniversary.
It breaks my heart to say I won't be seeing them this time around.

An anniversary tour with no theme, in support of a greatest
hits compilation? Yellow blimps aside, it's hard to see this tour
as anything but a farewell plundering of fans' bank accounts.

I work hard for my money, and I can't shell
out over $100 for an upper-deck bleacher seat in a football stadium.
If the Stones expect me to, they can go the studio and record
a new album to prove this tour is more than a final fleecing of
nostalgic Boomers.

New albums, no matter how dismal the sales, prove they are still
a creative enterprise, above the crop of '60s rockers looking to
cash in before plodding off to retirement. No matter your thoughts
on Wheels, Lounge, or Bridges, they showed more effort and interest
than cobbling together another "Hot Rocks."

Before the pissed-off replies start flying, I'm a dedicated fan
I have.

06-01-02 12:03 PM
Mr T so the music isn't worth hearing live if there's no album??

I don't understand. Are you one of those people that won't pay to not hear any new songs but then bitches when new tunes fill up the setlist & there's no room for Wild Horses, The Las Time, etc??
06-01-02 12:15 PM
Martha Open G wrote:
You have to sacrifice for what you want and the Stones are not worth it to you than that is your choice. In the past like many here, I have traveled cross country in a beat up old car(maverick) and slept out for tickets, slept out waiting for the stadiums to open and survived festival seating to see the stones, today the sacrifice is financial.

Thanks for that perspective. I hadn't thought of it quite this way before. I think all the presale fees has been a bit much for many of us, it feels more controlled than the driving all night, sleeping out, etc., as it is cut and dried..pay or wait....and I chose not to go that route. Didn't have the extra $60 bucks to blow ...waited it out until it went on sale to the general public this am and landed $50 seats straight back in the nb's which allowed me to do two shows (hubby joins me of course)...same seats at both venues. That's $241.80 for two people to see two arena shows..so I'm VERY happy and grateful and hope others are happy with what they've gotten as well.

I CAN"T WAIT! Saving my quarters to buy expensive rock and roll t-shirts at the show!

Let's Rock!
06-01-02 07:36 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Yes, buying tickets to shows today is different than it was 20 years ago. And I agree that this isn't the ideal way to do it, but don't blame the Stones. Blame the ticket "brokers" and scalpers. All this happy horseshit is a direct result of trying to keep as many tickets as possible out of the scalpers hands.

People can bitch and moan all they want about tickets and prices...but guess what...it won't change a fucking thing. For all these poor folks out there that can't scrape together a Ben Franklin to see the greatest roack and roll show on this, or any other planet, I feel bad for you. I really do. I'll holler extra loud for you while I'm at the shows in NYC.

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement about sacrifice. I'm selling off some things I'd rather not part with, but hey, I'm gonna see some shows, so it's worth it to me.

06-01-02 07:49 PM
nanky You get it.
I know you get it.
Sell the parents to science if ya gotta.
Just go to the ticket

06-01-02 08:41 PM
luxury1 I just realized if I save just 10 bucks a day from now until Sep 8, I will get into the Orpheum. Maybe I just might have a ticket after all and really disappoint mattb
06-02-02 11:58 AM
Duane in Houston I have seen every tour since 1975. This will be the first time that I won't be caught up in the mania of a Stones tour. I will not buy tickets in advance but I will show up and either get in for free or buy reduced price tickets from a scalper when he realises he's screwed. My reasoning is as follows (in no particular order) :

1.) Ticket prices are a "little" high.
2.) They basically perform the same "greatest hits" over and over and over again.
3.) All good seats are given to promoters and radio stations so no average fan can get a good seat.
4.) Ron Wood can't play guitar nearly as good as Keith let alone Mick Taylor
5.) The opening acts make no sense to Stones fans
6.) These tours are geared to first-timers
7.) The Stones don't put any effort into their new albums
8.) No more Bill Wyman or Mick Taylor
9.) These guys are REALLY fucking old. (one of em's probably gonna keel over of a heart attack on stage one day)
10.) Mick only sings 1 out of every 3 songs anymore. Usually he just yells it.
11.) Uninteresting set-lists etc. etc. etc.
06-02-02 01:09 PM
gotdablouse this sad state of affairs was discussed here too:
http://www-new.the-cloak.com/Cloaked/+cfg=136/http%3A//novogate.com/board/968/Archives/05-31-2002/76189-1.html
06-02-02 04:23 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Hey Duane & gotdablouse...

You guys should team up and write a searing expose for the Washington Post! You'd put that Segal fuck out of his job!

*sarcasm* We need more "real" fans like you guys!

I'd piss on your shoes....but you guys ain't even worth my piss.

06-02-02 05:37 PM
Joey "Before the pissed-off replies start flying, I'm a dedicated fan
I have. "

Danny Boy , he wants to save for a new guitar ,
He is gonna learn to play but he won't get far ;
Thinks it's an easy going High ,
But his whole life is just another trial .

Give me a Heart to Hold onto ......
Give me a soul that's tailored true .....
Give me a Heart to Hang onto ............

A Heart to Hang Onto !!!!!!!

06-02-02 06:36 PM
gotdablouse "I'd piss on your shoes....but you guys ain't even worth my piss."

I'm still unsure as to why you're resorting to insults in this thread ? Do you think we might have a point maybe and you're running short of arguments ?

As someone wrote somewhere on the board, this 2002-2003 tour, unlike Ron's latest LP IS for Beginners and for diehards. While I'm their "biggest fan", I'm not a groupie and like to not follow blindly, but then I'm not a Cardinal either, so...

May I suggest again that you stop reading this thread if you don't want to have a reasonable discussion of the current state of affairs ? If you're happy with what's being offered by this 2002-2003 tour, you shouldn't feel threatened by people of dissenting opinion IMHO, especially when they try to convey their point in a civilized fashion...
06-02-02 06:49 PM
Mickjagger1963 Up yours!!!!!

LONG LIVE TICKET PRICES!!!!

SUCK IT UP AND EAT IT!!!!!!
06-02-02 06:57 PM
mattb I don't remember when we were told we would always like everything the Stones did for all of our lives. I haven't paid much attention to them since Steel Wheels, but now I am. As to some points mentioned in a previous post:

1.) Ticket prices are a "little" high.

-Prices reflect the market. Concerts are not bread and milk. If you can't afford it, sorry. There are things I can't afford either right now.

2.) They basically perform the same "greatest hits" over and over and over again.

-That really isn't true. Maybe it was in 1989, but they have more variety of songs in their performances than at any other time in the last 40 years.

3.) All good seats are given to promoters and radio stations so no average fan can get a good seat.

-Not true. I got fourth or fifth row Orpheum on TM - no fan club, no pre-sale. What a good seat to you isn't necessarily a good seat to someone ele.

4.) Ron Wood can't play guitar nearly as good as Keith let alone Mick Taylor

-I think Ron Wood has been displaying his talents with the Stones for almost 30 years now so your revelation is not new.

5.) The opening acts make no sense to Stones fans

-I never received the instruction pamphlet that said they would.

6.) These tours are geared to first-timers

-First time whaters? First time concert-goers? First-time stadium concert goers? First-time Stones concert goers? First time bed-wetters?

7.) The Stones don't put any effort into their new albums

-Then how do they get made?

8.) No more Bill Wyman or Mick Taylor

-Not since 1991 and 1974 - hardly a new revelation.

9.) These guys are REALLY fucking old. (one of em's probably gonna keel over of a heart attack on stage one day)

-Let's just go to Florida, play shuffleboard and die there.

10.) Mick only sings 1 out of every 3 songs anymore. Usually he just yells it.

-As anyone who actually has seen Mick Jagger lately knows, his voice and singing is constantly improving.

11.) Uninteresting set-lists etc. etc. etc.

-This is a repeat of question 2. I hate complainers on message boards that complain about the same thing more than once.

[Edited by mattb]
[Edited by mattb]
06-02-02 08:30 PM
Stonesthrow The job of executive vice-president in charge of redundancy may be coming open. Are you bucking for a promotion? You revealed your lengthy list of gripes (at least) once. It's no longer new and interesting. Move on.

06-02-02 10:30 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Look gotdablouse, what is there to discuss? Really? You have your point of view I have mine.

What gets up my craw is so called "big fans" who can do nothing but bitch and moan and complain about the band that they supposedly like. For such a big fan, you don't have much positive to say. In fact, I haven't seen you post anything positive since you showed up here.

I am far from a syncophant. It's pretty widely known here that I hated Goddess In The Doorway...and just mentioning Emotional Rescue(both album and song) puts me in a state of denial. I think Dirty Work is best used as a beer coaster. But I still love the band despite these things...in fact, these shortfalls(IMO) make them even more endearing! It shows that they are human, just like you and me...completely capable of fucking up. Cool. It's soooooo Rock & Roll to play on the edge like they do....teetering precariously on the edge of doom...even slipping...yet still somehow managing to pull it all together.

We are two different kinds of people. I try not to dwell in negativity. And I stand by the Stones in whatever they decide to do. The way I see it...after 40 years...they deserve that from me. And in my view, anyone who wants to turn their back on them now, ain't much of a fan.

If you don't get it by now, you're dimmer than I thought.

BTW, I insult everyone...it's part of the Cardinal Ximinez character that I do. You know, like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog...or Don Rickles...except I use profanity. So don't flatter yourself by taking it personal. Hockey Puck!
06-05-02 10:34 PM
exileindixie Well, glad I got some discussion started.

Doubt anyone will see this, but just wanted to respond...

I've always been willing to sacrifice for the Stones. My
longest road trip to catch a show was an overnight drive
from Richmond, VA to Miami for the Bridges Orange Bowl show,
and again for No Security in Ft. Lauderdale. And every time
paid all I could scrape to sit next to some yuppie fuck who
likes "Satisfaction" when it's on the oldies station.
I've never travelled under four hours for a show, which
was possible when I was a college student. _ that's right _
how many fans in their early 20s have every release on vinyl?

But I always thought the Stones toured when they wanted to,
not when they CAN. It seems this time they figured it was
now or never. And I'm willing to bet Mick's financial advisors
helped make the decision on this one.

I'll always love the Stones, but I think they are damaging
their legacy as the longest-running working band by touring
only for nostalgia's sake.
06-05-02 10:47 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Are you kidding me?

Since when does the motive for a tour have to be pure?

I don't give a rat's ass WHY they are touring...I only care that they ARE touring!

Period.
06-06-02 07:51 AM
Honky Tonker In spite of ticket prices, Jagger's fading vocals, Keef's lack of playing, Ronnie being fucked up, hearing Miss You for the 99999th time, and all the bitching (in the negative sense) fans, this is still the best R'n'R band ever and certainly now. There are no other contenders. I'll gladly lay down a week's wages so my kids can see these guys while they can. Every time I've left a Stones show I've thought it was great. I didn't realize Chuck, Darryl, Bernard, etc. were ruining everything until I got internet access! I'll be enjoying this tour, too. If you don't like it, stay home.
06-06-02 10:20 AM
voodoopug WHy bitch about tickets if you cant afford them...are you expecting one of us other fans to pool our money together and buy you front row at all theater shows because we feel sorry for you? There has got to be an Elton John fan page somewhere out there for you, I suggest you find it. Dont come to a stones web page and waste my time by making me read your moronic, incoherent rambling about your troubles. SO GET OFF MY PAGE IF YOU ARE GOING TO BITCH ABOUT NOT GOING TO A SHOW!
06-06-02 10:37 AM
Cardinal Ximinez Amen, Voodoopug...Amen.
06-06-02 10:41 AM
voodoopug Thank you .......Thank you very much
06-06-02 12:52 PM
Nasty Habits Posted a message on the wrong thread - removing it for "purity of content" re: this one. My motives, as always, are pure.
[Edited by Nasty Habits]

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road