ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Getty Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Texas vs England ...musically speaking Return to archive
3rd June 2007 01:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels OK..... so the California bands don't quite cut it. But alot of great shit has come out of Texas.
3rd June 2007 01:13 PM
Nellcote England.
Next topic.
3rd June 2007 01:20 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

Next topic.

YES!!

Sarkozy calls Bono over Africa aid
Sunday 3 June 2007, by Corinne/Dead

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has phoned international rock star Bono to discuss development aid for Africa at the forthcoming G8 summit. Sarkozy "shares Bono’s fight" as an advocate for African development, and understands that Europe’s and Africa’s futures are linked, the president’s spokesman David Martinon said.

The French leader, who plans to meet Bono at the summit starting on Wednesday in Heiligendamm, Germany, said that "if Africa faces a crisis, it’s Europe that will be affected," according to Martinon.

Bono, the frontman for U2, co-founded the group Debt Aids Trade Africa five years ago, to work with religious groups on global disease and hunger issues.

3rd June 2007 01:27 PM
Riffhard Hey TTM if you're going to post bands from the USA against bands from England you have to mention Georgia. You got Otis Redding,Little Richard,The Allman Brothers,and bucket loads more.

The fact is that if not for the United States there would be no bands from the rest of the world anyway. So as much as I love the rock and roll that England has provided the world over the years I mantain that they never would have come into being if not for the inspiration of America's great blues,country,and folk artists that preceeded them.

Riffy
3rd June 2007 01:42 PM
Throwaway Good call on Georgia, I think Alabama is another state with a good number of noteworthy musicians. What about Michigan though? Aside from Motown, its garage/punk rock artists are as good as it gets (MC5, Iggy Pop, Bob Seger). Madonna can be excused.
3rd June 2007 01:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Louisiana is no slouch either, but rock n roll is secondary there. Louisiana folks are odd ducks anyway. It's just an off the wall place. They're different from us. They really are.
3rd June 2007 02:01 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Louisiana is no slouch either, but rock n roll is secondary there. Louisiana folks are odd ducks anyway. It's just an off the wall place. They're different from us. They really are.

True dat. Louisiana folk are differnt types. Same goes for Maine from what I hear.

Riffy
3rd June 2007 02:10 PM
fireontheplatter i saw stevie ray vaughn open for dire straights during their brothers in ars tour...

he was wearing his 10 gallon hat over his eyes..he's from texas, ain't e??

everybody say ow.
3rd June 2007 02:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

True dat. Louisiana folk are differnt types. Same goes for Maine from what I hear.

Riffy

Ayuh.

3rd June 2007 02:19 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:

any leftover quarters in that phone?
3rd June 2007 02:21 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Louisiana is no slouch either, but rock n roll is secondary there.

Buckwheat Zydeco doing Hey Joe

3rd June 2007 02:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Don't confuse us Mainers with Massholes either.
They're the them, and we're the us.
3rd June 2007 03:56 PM
Honky Tonk Man Again, this should read Texas vs london, or Texas vs the Home Counties. Oh wait, that includes all the Stones! (Kent and Midlesex) We win again!!
4th June 2007 02:45 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

The fact is that if not for the United States there would be no bands from the rest of the world anyway. So as much as I love the rock and roll that England has provided the world over the years I mantain that they never would have come into being if not for the inspiration of America's great blues,country,and folk artists that preceeded them.

Riffy

that's the bottom line...
it's not really texas vs england -
but the south vs the rest of the world....
the stones/beatles etc....were influenced by the blues, country, r&b coming out of the south (for the most part)
there was an integration of both white and black musical styles that was uniquely southern.
for me, that influence, in terms of blues, soul and rock and roll - is un-surpassed.
4th June 2007 02:46 PM
Joey " But alot of great shit has come out of Texas. "

4th June 2007 02:48 PM
Saint Sway America invented Rock & Roll.

England perfected it.
4th June 2007 02:50 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
America invented Rock & Roll.

England perfected it.

1964 :

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Who

2007 :

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Who
4th June 2007 02:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Riffy

True, but by the same token if it wasnt for the bands youre referring to, theres a lot of great American music which many Americans to this day would still probably never have been exposed to.

You sure as hell would never have had Howlin Wolf on Shindig but for the Stones.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)