ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Getty Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Richards Defends Stones Tour Return to archive
3rd June 2007 09:46 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Keith Richards Defends Stones Tour

It’s not about the cash…
by Cher Tippetts on 03/06/2007
gigwise.com

Keith Richards has hit out at critics who say the Rolling Stones only continue to tour for the money.

Keef, 63, insists it's not about the cash. "I don't think you could get these guys to do it just for money," he said.

"It's still a bloody adventure. Every time you set sail on these things, they're never the same and I love to see the world, and I hope the world loves to see me."

Keef tells Uncut, "You get this insane idea that you can only do this between 17 and 25, but y'know, I'm not a tennis player. I'll show you how long it can be done."

The band's current Bigger Bang tour has so far netted £218m, making it the top grossing music tour in history.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
3rd June 2007 09:53 AM
fireontheplatter i think it is probably a bit of both....they enjoy it and the money probably helps.

not to bad of a read fest. they're getting shorter, whew thank god.
3rd June 2007 09:57 AM
MrPleasant Who has he been snorting nowadays?
3rd June 2007 10:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Keef, 63, insists it's not about the cash. "I don't think you could get these guys to do it just for money," he said.

There's no need to apologize. It's their profession, it's their livliehood. If they can rake in the cash doing it than more power to 'em. These critics are just upset that they haven't reached the pinnacle of their professions. I'll bet they don't work for free.
3rd June 2007 10:16 AM
gimmekeef Keef....ever the coy salesman....puts in a reference to set sail.....Hyping his Pirates film!...lol
3rd June 2007 10:23 AM
FotiniD
quote:

Keef tells Uncut, "You get this insane idea that you can only do this between 17 and 25, but y'know, I'm not a tennis player. I'll show you how long it can be done."

I love this "renewal" of the promise to still go on, which seems to come with every new tour Against the odds baby.

Gimmekeef, Keith's been telling the "sailing uncharted waters" story before Pirates.
3rd June 2007 11:25 AM
Scottfree
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Who has he been snorting nowadays?

Doris???
3rd June 2007 11:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Cremation just isn't right.
3rd June 2007 01:34 PM
Make It Funky I think the prospect of making copious amounts of tens of millions of dollars per week, how can they resist?? I only wish that the Stones would play with as much conviction as they did/do when they have to... like the first show in Milan last summer.. or in Rio.. or NYC for HBO.. or at the El Mocambo back in my home town of Toronto.. when the Stones want to play amazingly, they can!!! But its few and far between.. clearly, evidentally, and obviously, the money doesnt help them play any better... its incentive. They need to be more self-motivated, and less reliant on dollar signs and zeroes at the end of contracts.. but they are very good for each other (Mick, Keith & Charlie). I mean, I'll be your best friend on stage if you pay me fifty million bucks as well. I may even laugh if the camera catches me. Thats money in the bank baby!

Cheers,
Ian in London
3rd June 2007 03:15 PM
pdog 25 years from now, they'll write about how The Stones went on, where no band ever did, and no one will mention the money incentive... It's only b/c no has ever done this before. You don't hear about Peter O'Toole acting at his age... It isn't groundbreaking.... He makes money, he is old....
3rd June 2007 03:31 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
pdog wrote:
25 years from now, they'll write about how The Stones went on, where no band ever did, and no one will mention the money incentive... It's only b/c no has ever done this before. You don't hear about Peter O'Toole acting at his age... It isn't groundbreaking.... He makes money, he is old....

Wise...very wise, P. As angry as we get at these guys about how they run their business, they defy the norm!!
3rd June 2007 07:47 PM
mojoman time to the hoist the jolly roger!!!! many lands to plunder!!! wenches, gold, exotic desserts and ashes await...
4th June 2007 07:07 AM
corgi37 It just strikes me as odd why people want them to stop. They are musicians. The play. People want to hear/see them. They pay. Whats the fucking problem?

I dont hear any other "heritage" act getting it in the neck time and again.

Whether its Eric Burdon at ya local pub, Elton in Vegas or the Stones in a 60,000 seat venue. No difference.

The Stones have long been the whipping boys because they are the biggest. Dont worry, U2 will get it next. Why do THEY tour? There's only 4 of them. Havent they made enough money? Christ, its nearly 30 years, blah blah blah.

1 thing we know for sure. My chemical romance, Britney Spears, Oasis, and Green Day amongst thousands of others, wont be asked the "Why do you tour" question in 3 years, let alone 30.

5th June 2007 12:38 AM
GotToRollMe Richards: 'I'd tour in a wheelchair'
Last Modified: 04 Jun 2007
Source: ITN

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has declared that he'll keep on touring even if he's in a wheelchair.

The revelation comes as the band prepare to launch their A Bigger Bang tour of Europe which will take them to many destinations they have never played before such as St Petersburg, Serbia and Ukraine.

Richards, who recently played a cameo as Johnny Depp's father in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 3', is glad the Stones still appeal to fans.

He said: "You don't take it for granted... I quite see the attraction but it must be something to do with the music... I'll do it in my wheelchair...it's easy for him [Charlie] he's sitting down already!"

After so many years touring, original Stones fans are now bringing their children and grandchildren to gigs - which amuses Richards.

He said: "It's quite amazing to see people with their grandchildren, but at the same time very heart warming.

Richards added: "I've seen 12 year old guitar freaks down the front who are now in bands and working ..It's kind of an inspirational thing in a way to pass it on."

In 2006, A Bigger Bang became the best-selling tour in concert history and put the Stones at the top of music's rich list, making the band more than £50 million.

Link: http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/arts_entertainment/richards+id+tour+in+wheelchair/544772

5th June 2007 01:45 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Cremation just isn't right.

and I suppose putting a body in a box, burying in the cold ground and have it slowly decompose is??
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)