ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Getty Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When was Brian Jones at his peak as a musician? Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd June 2007 02:17 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
GhostofBrianJones wrote:
I am going to have to check out that song Stupid Girl. It can't be any different
toward the ladies then Under My Thumb which I happen to love the music
to anyway.

They've had a string of supposedly anti women songs including..."Backstreet Girl"....
2nd June 2007 02:28 PM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
They've had a string of supposedly anti women songs including..."Backstreet Girl"....

and "Yesterday's Papers", etc.

Interesting how most of The Stones' songs that are not too nice to females are from the Brian era and he was also anti women...
3rd June 2007 12:03 PM
Zack Those songs were all hate letters from Mick to Chrissie Shrimpton, his first major girlfriend who he dumped for Marianne.
4th June 2007 10:21 AM
dkmonroe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I'd say that the attitude on "Backstreet Girl" reflects more poorly on the male personage in the song than the female. It's exposing the man's brutish chauvanism, not any failing on the girl's part (unless you want to count her apparently tolerating shabby treatment).
4th June 2007 10:25 AM
dkmonroe
quote:
Brian Jones Girl wrote:

and "Yesterday's Papers", etc.

Interesting how most of The Stones' songs that are not too nice to females are from the Brian era and he was also anti women...

Brian was anti-woman? I don't know if I'd go that far. He was a immature, jealous person most of the time though.

In any case, I think Mick's love life is more to account for the chauvanism of Sixties-period Stones.
5th June 2007 05:24 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Not to mention some of his great early guitar work on other tunes like Play With Fire,Get Off My Cloud,Time Is On My Side,and,of course,his slide work on tunes like No Expectations.

Brian does not play on Play with Fire.

In all reality, Brian was a very, very mediocre guitar player. His technique is very limited, and his playing never extended beyond straight forward rythm playing. He was interested in slide playing (as he was a big fan of Elmore James), but never achieved any real technical ability. All his slide playing -except for No Expectations- are fairly simple single string runs, executed mostly quite shaky. IN fact, I think Brian's limitations on the guitar is what made him search for different instruments to express himself.

Brian was a multi-instrumentalist, but he never mastered any instrument really, except maybe the harmonica. Most of Brian's additions are fairly amateuristic in execution, like the recorder on Ruby Tuesday, the sitar on Paint it Black or the marimba on Under my Thumb.

What sets Brian apart is the fact that he DID play sitar on Paint it Black, recorder on RT and so on. Brian had great taste in his additions to songs, and his influence on all Stones music, but especially from late '65 to late '67 is tremendous. His choice of instruments and his choice of what he would play was a very important and integral part of the Stones.
5th June 2007 10:10 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

What sets Brian apart is the fact that he DID play sitar on Paint it Black, recorder on RT and so on. Brian had great taste in his additions to songs, and his influence on all Stones music, but especially from late '65 to late '67 is tremendous. His choice of instruments and his choice of what he would play was a very important and integral part of the Stones.

I would add here that a white English boy playing slide guitar in 1962 was itself among Brian's "exotic" choices as a musical colorist.
5th June 2007 10:17 AM
gimmekeef Besides some intricate and different sounds I think his greatest contribution was his initial drive to form a band in the blues spirit.His early leadership founded the original concepts and then his withdrawal was a reaction to Mick and Keith taking over the healm with songwriting etc.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)