ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Olympiahalle, München - 4 Juni 2003
Brian Rasic
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Let It Bleed Return to archive
06-01-03 08:47 AM
Soul Survivor I was just wondering how the Let It Bleed remastered CD sounds tot he original. Is there great improvement?
06-01-03 10:34 AM
mac_daddy yes.

Beggars and Ya-Yas are essential upgrades, too - Beggars is pitch corrected, for God's sake!!!
06-02-03 07:12 AM
JaggaRichards Especially Keith's guitar on Midnight Rambler!
06-02-03 08:13 AM
corgi37 i have both let it bleed and beggars remastered. Cant get the sacd here in Oz for some reason, which is no big deal as i dont have sacd compliant stuff. Anyway, my jaw dropped when i 1st put them on. The clarity on both is stunning. when the money fairy visits me, my next remastered is goin to be ya-ya's, but by God, i wish they upgraded it a bit, similar to what the WHO did with Live at Leeds. Why in hell Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter arent on that record (to me) is an astonishing exclusion.
06-02-03 08:52 AM
mac_daddy don't even get me started on the missing verse from Sympathy (on Ya-Yas)

06-02-03 02:27 PM
quackenbush The WHO's remastered Leeds is a bit too long. I think they got it right the first time.
06-02-03 04:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
yes.

I presume this referred improvment is with a standard cd player..? Quality on a SACD player would be obvious.
06-02-03 04:12 PM
padre mac_daddy wrote:
Beggars and Ya-Yas are essential upgrades, too - Beggars is pitch corrected, for God's sake!!!

Is Beggars originally on the wrong speed throughout or just on some particular tracks? I didn't know about this!
06-02-03 07:10 PM
mac_daddy beggars is the wrong speed throughout (on previous releases)...

yes LB, the difference is noticable on the CD layer...

06-02-03 07:12 PM
mac_daddy live at leeds is the whole show (the previous was just highlights)...

that release was done to quash a boot (of the whole show) that was circulating.
06-03-03 11:59 AM
padre
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
beggars is the wrong speed throughout (on previous releases)...

Is the pitch corrected on boots like R.S.V.P?
06-03-03 02:07 PM
JaggaRichards I don't get this 'corrected pitch' thing.
It sounds fine.
Especially No Expectations and Jigsaw Puzzle.
06-03-03 07:32 PM
mac_daddy from an article that I just dug up:

"There were a lot of speed issues (on the original releases of the titles used to source the SACDs) that we straightened out, we got rid of all the fake stereo, we really tried to right all the wrongs in those areas.

"Nobody’s ever heard Beggars Banquet at the right speed, period; the production masters were always a bit slow. Who knew? So now you’re going to have it the way it should have been..."

apparently the speed was written incorrectly on the tape used to master the album. As the SACDs are sourced from the original masters, this was corrected (played at the proper speed) when Ludwig transferred the audio reels to digital.
06-03-03 07:41 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
padre wrote:

Is the pitch corrected on boots like R.S.V.P?

depends which version - the old one sounds wrong to me; the new version sounds correct.

btw: here is an article on the topic that is easy to navigate (HFR's site sucks- no search and slow as hell)
06-04-03 01:54 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
i have both let it bleed and beggars remastered. Cant get the sacd here in Oz for some reason, which is no big deal as i dont have sacd compliant stuff. Anyway, my jaw dropped when i 1st put them on. The clarity on both is stunning. when the money fairy visits me, my next remastered is goin to be ya-ya's, but by God, i wish they upgraded it a bit, similar to what the WHO did with Live at Leeds. Why in hell Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter arent on that record (to me) is an astonishing exclusion.

Absolutely Corgi! 'Live At Leeds'-The Who, was SO improved by rounding it off for the 25th anniversary edition on CD that it makes one wonder why 'Ya-Yas hasn't been given the same treatment. They could add at least half a dozen tracks from 'Liver' to enhance Ya-Yas.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003