ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Olympiahalle, München - 4 Juni 2003
Brian Rasic
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bittersweet Symphony? Return to archive
05-31-03 09:05 PM
Mr. D I've read that the English band The Verve lost the rights to their hit "Bittersweet Symphony" for illegally sampling a Stones song. Can someone please tell me which song they ripped off of them?
05-31-03 09:12 PM
J.J.Flash Wow, I've never heard anything about it. Now I'm curious......Let me know!
05-31-03 09:27 PM
Mr. D Yea, I was pretty shocked when i heard about this. I listened to the song and couldn't tell which song they sampled. I guess they thought they could get away with it, since they were fellow Englishmen
05-31-03 09:36 PM
Gimme Shelter From my understanding they sampled "The Last Time" in the song. Their biggest hit and evidently they made no money on it.
05-31-03 10:16 PM
sirmoonie My understanding is that the sample was taken from the Andrew Loog Oldham orchestra's version of The Last Time, not the Stones' actual version. Still they had to credit J/R.

Fantastic song that Bittersweet Symphony. One of favorite songs of all time.
05-31-03 10:21 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
My understanding is that the sample was taken from the Andrew Loog Oldham orchestra's version of The Last Time, not the Stones' actual version.

Yes Sir, makes sense. Thanks!
have a great sunday
06-01-03 06:14 PM
Brown Sugar Yes, its a great song. The Stones could now record it based from The Verve song

06-02-03 05:02 AM
stonedinaustralia sir moonie has it right

the thing is, J/R had next to nothing to do with the Verve situation as the rights are owned by Allen Klein
06-02-03 06:30 AM
Doxa I agree with sirmoonie that "Bittersweet Symphony" is a great song. And I almost agree with that Verve singer (donīt remember his name) who once bitterly said that if it is a Jagger/Richards song then it is the best thing the Glimmer Twins have done for last twenty years...

Doxa
06-02-03 02:25 PM
quackenbush They did make money off of the song if indirectly. The song
helped them market their cd, which is pretty good if you give it a listen.

06-02-03 02:28 PM
sirmoonie Singer's name is Richard Ashcroft, he went solo after Verve busted up, but he had lost his verve by then.

I liked that band a lot, wish they had continued.
06-04-03 12:43 AM
gypsymofo60 All Ashcroft did was utilise A LOOP- a loop from the original tape from Oldam's Orchestral version of 'The Last Time', he did it without permission from Klein's company who own the rights to the original tape source. Therefore, The Verve were forced to hand over all royalties for UTILISING the LOOP. they still made a killing from both single, and album sales for 'Urban Hymns'. A great track, a great album. 20 years from now that album will be at the forefront of all "The great British Albums" of the 1990s. Mark my word! Anyone interested should check out the album that preceded 'Hymns', 'A Northern Soul'.
06-04-03 12:53 AM
sammy davis jr. Great drum track on Bittersweet Symphony by the way.....yes it is a great record. Unfortunately, Ashcroft's solo records don't stand up as well. I think the guitar player had alot to do with their sound. I think he was somewhat of a head case or something wasn't he? Afraid to tour or something? Maybe just what I read. He got some great sounds though.
06-04-03 01:12 AM
gypsymofo60 I quite like Ashcroft's solo work, although it's not a patch on The Verve's stuff. Ashcroft and the guitarist had always been at loggerheads over musical and personal differences. That is why the group kept splitting up, and re-forming.
06-04-03 02:53 AM
MarthaMyDear In Being Mick, Mick and his daughter, Elizabeth, are going to Elton John's party and as they're walking towards the party, I think Elton had told this small "orchestra" that was playing along the walkway they were walking on to play Bitterweet Symphony as a joke (as they were walking up to the party)... Cute... I love Elton John... lol............................................. And, Mick ain't so bad either... lol......................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P But, I DON'T like Elton John like THAT!!! lol......................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P EESH!!! lol......................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P He looks like my dad!!! YUCK!!! CRACKING-UP!!! lol......................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003