ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Olympiahalle, München - 4 Juni 2003
Brian Rasic
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: So there I am.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
05-30-03 12:27 AM
Sir Stonesalot ....chatting with John Hammond. He hasn't played yet, and it's obvious that no one knew who he was, because he was just sitting at a table on the deck, reading a magazine.

Anyhow, I walked up to him and said, "Excuse me Mr. Hammond, I have a guitar out in the car, and I'd really be honored if you would sign it."

He says, "Just sign it? Yeah, sure, I'd be happy to do that for you."

Now, as I'm walking out to the car to fetch my acoustic, I'm thinking...what did he mean by "Just sign it?". Just exactly what do people ask him to do to their guitars?

So I give him the guitar, and I sit down, and we make chit chat. I mention that I found Robert Johnson by way of Keith Richards and the Stones. He gets this big smile and says, "Yeah, I hear that a lot. Those boys have turned a lot of people onto some great artists. That is a great thing."

So then he says, "Well, I'm gonna play something tonight that I think you'll appreciate. I'm not gonna say what it is right now, but you'll know it when you hear it."

I shake his hand and thank him for signing my guitar. And I go put my guitar back in the car.

So fast forward. John is just slaying me. I mean, there is almost NO ONE playing like that anymore. Phonograph Blues, Come On In My Kitchen...masterfully played. So then he goes, "Here's an old song by the Rolling Stones. They used to play this back when they were a blues band...", and he lights into "Spider & The Fly". I almost leaped out of my skin. It was SO FUCKING GOOD! So he finishes up, and I'm clapping and stomping, and he looks right at me, points a finger and winks.

He also played some Tom Waits songs. Get Behind The Mule, Gun St. Girl, and a new song called Don't Go Down To Fanning St. Tom produced John's "Wicked Games" CD. Which I now have to go out and buy.

So after the show, some silly guy in a hawaiian shirt gets up on stage and says..."If you all liked John, we are trying to get Charlie Musselwhite to play here, and a guy named Duke Robillard as well..." I was like, FUCK YEAH! Do it! I'm so there.

Didn't listen to the disc to see how it came out...if it's any good, I'll share.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen...good night.
05-30-03 12:33 AM
gypsy That's too fucking cool, SS! Thanks for your story...wish I could've been there.
05-30-03 01:00 AM
FPM C10 Way cool! That Hammond album of Waits tunes is called "Wicked Grin" and it's really good. "Fanning Street" is on it, and two other Waits songs I'd never heard before, and a great gospel tune to end it.
05-30-03 08:34 AM
Factory Girl SS, that is way cool! I know you were in heaven.
05-30-03 09:33 AM
steel driving hammer I have his "Wicked Grin" disc (the one that FPM recommended) and it's still not far from my cd player.

Nice slow, dark, unpolished, rythmatic grooves that I like.

I feel Hammond should of contributed on Keiths "Wingless Angels" to lesson the Jamaica feel just a bit and to put in more of a melody. Just a bit, not too much though.
05-30-03 09:49 AM
Joey " ....chatting with John Hammond. "

Who is John Hammond ??????

Wait , didn't he play with the " Dave Clark Five " ?

Developing ..................

Jacky !
05-30-03 10:45 AM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So after the show, some silly guy in a hawaiian shirt gets up on stage and says..."If you all liked John, we are trying to get Charlie Musselwhite to play here, and a guy named Duke Robillard as well..." I was like, FUCK YEAH! Do it! I'm so there.

Dude! I'm going to see 'ole Charlie tonight!
Blues Fest/Chicago....I'M THERE!!!

SS...Isn't that wonderful when things happen the way ya plan them? Congrats on the guitar signing! Good for you!
05-30-03 11:32 AM
Brown Sugar
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ....chatting with John Hammond. "

Who is John Hammond ??????

Isnt a Jethro Tull guy?
05-30-03 09:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot The disc didn't record. I don't know why...actually I do know why. I let Uncca John do the recording. He's having eye problems, and needs new glasses. He thought he was recording, but it was probably on pause.

Too bad. Wicked good show. I got a wicked grin on my face. Yeah, I knew what the name of that CD was...I don't know why I typed game instead of grin...so I guess I just have to live with the memory of that show in my head. Way cool. Oh, and my pal Debo left early...and stuck me with the dinner check. Ha, paybacks is a bitch.

SDI...Lessen not lesson. And Wingless Angels is a rasta chant album...it has nothing to do with John Hammond. John Hammond would have been completely out of place, and it would have ruined the vibe on WA. It would be like having Bob Marley play on Muddy Waters songs. It's apples and oranges.

Why the fuck am I bothering to explain this to you. You are too fucking dense to grasp the concept anyhow.
05-30-03 09:47 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

SDH...Lessen not lesson. And Wingless Angels is a rasta chant album...it has nothing to do with John Hammond. John Hammond would have been completely out of place, and it would have ruined the vibe on WA. It would be like having Bob Marley play on Muddy Waters songs. It's apples and oranges.

IMO, Wingless Angels NEEDED more bells, whistles, bass and LESS backround singing. Hammond (or the like) could of/should of provided that. That album needed to be darker.

When you lessen the Rasta feel and add in blues, its sounds better.

Example, the Rasta Blues songs on One Night With Tallahassee Lassie.

She got a high fi tassy, she may look a little sassy...

Down in FLA!
05-30-03 09:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot Good lord...the depth of your stupidity is truely boundless.

Wingless Angels is a RASTA CHANT ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY like it's supposed to sound. Rasta chant albums DO NOT HAVE BELLS AND WHISTLES. They are stripped down, bar bones, primitive, CHANTS. The main instrumentation is SUPPOSED to be the HUMAN VOICE and percussion. It is NOT a blues album.

I have an idea, let's take Exiles On Main St. and add the delightful and soothing sounds of the humpback whales. It would lesson the dank, humid basement feel that the album has. That would make it better.

Dumbass.
05-30-03 10:03 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Good lord...the depth of your stupidity is truely boundless.

Wingless Angels is a RASTA CHANT ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY like it's supposed to sound. Rasta chant albums DO NOT HAVE BELLS AND WHISTLES. They are stripped down, bar bones, primitive, CHANTS. The main instrumentation is SUPPOSED to be the HUMAN VOICE and percussion. It is NOT a blues album.

I have an idea, let's take Exiles On Main St. and add the delightful and soothing sounds of the humpback whales. It would lesson the dank, humid basement feel that the album has. That would make it better.

Dumbass.

Operator Operator...

WA DOES have bells and whistles!

I just needed to have a BASS and more bells and whistles!

No Exile didn't need the delightful and soothing sounds of humpback whale, LOL, what it NEEDED was a Washboard!

05-30-03 10:15 PM
Cardinal Fang [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
"If you all liked John, we are trying to get Charlie Musselwhite to play here, and a guy named Duke Robillard as well..." I was like, FUCK YEAH! Do it! I'm so there./quote]

Hey Marc !!

(I go on in a little while so I gotta make this quick)

John Hammond Jr, Charlie Musselwhite, Duke Robillard, my friend Zakiya Hooker and her late great father (the boogieman) "Johnny", and some guy named "Charlie Watts" are all represented by The Rosebud Agency. Their manager's name is Mike. If you guys got John Hammond Jr at your venue in PA, you will also get Charlie Musselwhite & Duke's band in your venue as well. I worked with another Rosebud group, Tommy Castro, last year.

Listen to me Marc, if Mike is there, feel free to use my name. My REAL name, they won't know "C.F". (It MAY get you an all access ??)

I emailed you over a week ago with the latest "treatment" for our Artpigs script. Get On It Bro !!

Now seriously, I've gotta bail. They're coming around with "straws" so..........

Later, J.W.

P.S. Did John Hammond Jr. do John Lee's "Ride Til I Die" ? As much as I am indebted to Johnny (Lee Hooker) I think Hammond Jr. does the GREATEST version of that ever !! George Thorogood is now doing that song in his set too and he's using Hammond Jr's arrangement. (Not John Lee's) George admitted to me that John Hammond Jr actually SAT DOWN and SHOWED him how to play it note for note !!

Seriously, I've Gotta Jet Now. Check your fucking email Bro !

L8r : - )
05-31-03 04:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot In fact, the little balding guy in the hawaiian shirt also mentioned Mr. Castro as a possible for the Ale House. There is no access needed at the Ale House. It's tiny, there is no dressing room, unless you count the stock room...that's where John changed shirts after the gig. The musicians just sit around out on the deck. basically all you gotta do is just walk up and introduce yourself.

I was suprised at how quickly John motioned for me to sit down with him. He is a REALLY nice fellow. In fact, I think he was the one asking most of the questions.

Hammond Jr. is a VERY aggressive player. And for my money, he is probably the tops when it comes to acoustic country blues. It's no wonder why the likes of George Thorogood want to learn from him. A true master at what he does.

And...I did get your email. I'm working some things out in my head as we speak. Let me put it this way...we have a fake arm in our props closet. We also have car fire footage. Not only do I think this is very do-able, but something that is just too funny to NOT pursue. I'll get with you on it soon.

And finally...SDI. It matters not what YOU wanted the album to sound like. It only mattered what Keith wanted it to sound like. And it does indeed sound EXACTLY the way Keith wanted. He said when it came out that it was not an album for the masses. It was to be traditional mountain chants, done by his Rasta pals. Music for the soul, he called it. Not only did you clearly miss the entire point of the album, you had the gall to suggest that Keith should have made a completely different album...I guess just to suit you. I suppose that it doesn't matter to you that Keith put the album together to try to help out his poor Rasta pals(they won't take hand outs, according to Keith)financially. And of course, you also missed my point with the Exiles comment. It was an A-N-A-L-O-G-Y. In other words(that perhaps you can grasp), I was comparing what you were suggesting, to something as silly and preposterous as what I suggested....humpback whales on Exiles.

Perhaps from now on, to avoid confusing you, I should just stick to Tony-like posts. Here I go....

Stones rule you basturds!
05-31-03 05:12 PM
steel driving hammer Gosh, so many words you type about me.

Seems you don't like to just, change the channel.

If I'm stupid, you seem to pay alot of attention to me.

I wanted Dirty Work to sound better.

I don't care how the Stones wanted it to sound.

I wanted it to sound better.

And yes, Exile needed a Washboard and Spoon.

STONES YOU BASTARDS!
05-31-03 05:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I don't care how the Stones wanted it to sound.<

Really?

Tony the drunken nitwit knows better than the Stones how things should sound. I'm sure Mick and Keith are very impressed.

So how many millions did your last album sell?
05-31-03 05:44 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I don't care how the Stones wanted it to sound.<

Really?

Yes really.

I didn't care much for how they wanted Dirty Work to sound.

05-31-03 05:55 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I don't care how the Stones wanted it to sound.<

Really?

Tony the drunken nitwit knows better than the Stones how things should sound. I'm sure Mick and Keith are very impressed.

So how many millions did your last album sell?

Get a room! I'll lend ya the strawberry kiwi flavored lube...
05-31-03 06:26 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dandy...I can't go to Illinois because I don't even want to be in the same state as that moron. I might get his "imbecile cooties". I have a real job, and support a real family...so I can't afford to become mentally challenged like Tony.

All I'm trying to do is give him a forum for his shimmering intellect to shine through. But instead he chooses to toss any credibility that he had down the shitter. He shouldn't show up for a battle of wits unarmed.

Besides, I'm allergic to kiwi.

Q: What do you do if you find your woman smoking?
A: Slow down and use some lube.

Seroiusly though...would any of you guys take it in the ass for Mick?
05-31-03 10:45 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Dandy...I can't go to Illinois because I don't even want to be in the same state as that moron. I might get his "imbecile cooties".

But you seem to type SO MANY words about me! LOL!

All the childish name calling is yours! Not mine! I don't accept nothing! Just a smile from you actually.

Yep, now I know (like I haven't already but) if I am stopping you from your travels, it means you won't be there with me in Amsterdam eh? So what if my family is paying for it. All the better!

Here's a idea, STOP READING MY POSTS!

It's so easy!

This is the last time I respond to you.

Cheers!
06-01-03 07:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot >But you seem to type SO MANY words about me! LOL!<

Ah, you poor deluded fool. You think it's about YOU? It's not about you. It's about your dumbass statements about Wingless Angels. It's just like the whole bootleg thing...you just can't get stuff through your thick head. Why do you want to act like such a retard?

>All the childish name calling is yours! Not mine! I don't accept nothing! Just a smile from you actually.<

Well, you could call it name calling...if it were not the truth that I am speaking. In this case it's not name calling, it's truth telling. "I don't accept nothing", is a double negative. We learned not to do that in 2nd grade.
I quit smiling at you when I found out what a duplicitous fuckhead you are. So no...you don't accept smiles from me, because I do not smile at you. Is English your first language?

>Yep, now I know (like I haven't already but) if I am stopping you from your travels, it means you won't be there with me in Amsterdam eh? So what if my family is paying for it. All the better!<

No, I won't be joining you in A-dam. And your family is paying for you to go? How old are you? Still taking handouts from mommy and daddy? Of course I shouldn't be too hard on you, you do have an imaginary wife to take care of...I'm sure that really forces you to tighten the belt. I'm gonna have to change Still Drunken Idiot to Still Drunken Loser. The really pathetic thing is how you revel in your loserdom. Are you really proud to be such a twat?

>Here's a idea, STOP READING MY POSTS!

It's so easy!<

Did you copy and paste this one from your little tiff with FG? I know you like to cut and paste things, but can't you try to be just a tiny bit original? I know it means using those atrophied brain cells of yours, but you gotta be able to come up with something.

Nope, I'll keep watching. And every time you make some idiotic comment, I will be all over your post like stink on shit. So, obviously, I'll be busy.

>This is the last time I respond to you.<

No it isn't. You'll respond to this post, or others. You can't help yourself. Dance for me monkeyboy.

Question. Why do you think people who once were on very friendly terms with you, here and elsewhere, eventually end up despising you? Do you have ANY clue? Think about it dude. Me, Fang, SB, FG, and of course, the infamous SDIs(No I wasn't, and I'm still not telling you who they were.)...take a step back and LOOK man. Do you think it's just some cyberworld conspiracy? No. You are just a drunken ass. Sure it's cute at first, but the thing is that after a while...it just becomes obnoxious. I mean, how many times do we gotta listen to you about taking it in the pooper from Mick? As far as I can tell, you only have three posts. The "Stones rules you bastards" post, the "Would you take it in the ass for Mick" post, and the "I'm going to pretend that I know what I'm talking about but end up looking like a moron" post.

NOW, I have typed a lot of words about YOU.
06-02-03 12:44 PM
parmeda SS...Charlie kicked my ass right out onto the lake Friday night! I was a little disappointed with Bonnie Raitt though on Saturday....NO SLIDE GUITAR!!!! But she did a good set and Mavis Staples joined her for a good "belting". Last night, Zydeco was on fire. I hated to see it end...

Have you seen Musselwhite before? If not, GO! You'll thank me later
06-02-03 01:49 PM
jb Was it Fiji Joe?
06-02-03 05:00 PM
Joey " Was it Fiji Joe? "

Josh ..................my Cedar plate had a full slab of Baby Back Ribs on it last evening . Pork Ribs .

WTF ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Jacky !

06-02-03 05:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot They haven't set a date for CM yet, but when they do you won't be able to keep me away from it.

BTW...the Phillies are in 3rd place in the NL East. They'd be in 1st if they were in the NL Central. The Expos are on the way out though...they play 22 games in 25 days, all on the road. Look for the Phillies to be in 2nd place within the week. Atlanta can't stay this hot forever. The Phillies haven't gotten hot yet...they have just stayed steady. Even with Atlanta being as red hot as they are, the Phils are only 6 back.

Our local papers don't carry any Cubs info except the box scores. Who do the Cubs play in this round if interleague play? The NL East plays the AL West...The Phils play Seattle in the first series.
06-02-03 05:07 PM
Joey " Who do the Cubs play in this round if interleague play? "

Yanks !

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06-03-03 12:06 AM
parmeda
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Who do the Cubs play in this round if interleague play? "

Yanks !

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clemens & Wood on Saturday...
Getting a ticket for that is harder than obtaining an audience with the Pope!
Read on...
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20030602&content_id=349566&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chn

Some good trivia in there Joey, SS. Chip & Steve are gonna have a hey-day.
06-03-03 09:57 AM
Joey " the infamous SDIs(No I wasn't, and I'm still not telling you who they were.)...take a step back and LOOK man. Do you think it's just some cyberworld conspiracy? "

How many SDI's were there ?????????????????????

Reuters reported that there could be as many as twelve different SDI's roaming the world .

Hell , I stole some of my best sh## off of all of those guys / gals ...................funny Stuff indeed .

" The Grape has won Ronnie "

Bob Jacky !

06-03-03 01:22 PM
KeepRigid Does this thread need some levity? Cuz, I have a George 'Goober' Lindsey tale that is begging to be told.

PS. Cool story, SS.
06-03-03 07:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot Keep....

You are much cooler without that pesky lawyer mucking things up.

But then...aren't we all?

Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003