ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

IN MEMORY OF BILLY PRESTON
September 9, 1946 - June 6, 2006
Š 1975 Neal Preston
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Return to archive
2nd June 2006 12:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Release Date: June 01, 1967
Running Time: 39:43
Label: Parlophone

With Revolver, the Beatles made the Great Leap Forward, reaching a previously unheard-of level of sophistication and fearless experimentation. Sgt. Pepper, in many ways, refines that breakthrough, as the Beatles consciously synthesized such disparate influences as psychedelia, art-song, classical music, rock roll, and music hall, often in the course of one song. Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita." There's no discounting the individual contributions of each member or their producer, George Martin, but the preponderance of whimsy and self-conscious art gives the impression that Paul McCartney is the leader of the Lonely Hearts Club Band. He dominates the album in terms of compositions, setting the tone for the album with his unabashed melodicism and deviously clever arrangements.

In comparison, Lennon's contributions seem fewer, and a couple of them are a little slight but his major statements are stunning. "With a Little Help From My Friends" is the ideal Ringo tune, a rolling, friendly pop song that hides genuine Lennon anguish, ā la "Help!"; "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" remains one of the touchstones of British psychedelia; and he's the mastermind behind the bulk of "A Day in the Life," a haunting number that skillfully blends Lennon's verse and chorus with McCartney's bridge. It's possible to argue that there are better Beatles albums, yet no album is as historically important as this. After Sgt. Pepper, there were no rules to follow -- rock and pop bands could try anything, for better or worse. Ironically, few tried to achieve the sweeping, all-encompassing embrace of music as the Beatles did here.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
2nd June 2006 12:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Happy birthday Sgt.

2nd June 2006 12:18 PM
Saint Sway The most over rated album ever.

I find the entire album embarrassingly cheesy from start to finish.
2nd June 2006 12:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The most over rated album ever.

well, I don't think it's overrated, necessarily....for the time. Yes, "cheesy" in the sense, that to me anyway, it hasn't "aged" well for some reason. I mean I still like it ok, but it's not that high on my list of all time favorite albums.
2nd June 2006 12:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl From Revolver to Leti it Bleed all Beatles albums are great, I heard the White Album and Sgt. on peyote long long time ago and I loved the experience.
2nd June 2006 12:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ouch!! I meant "Let it Be"
2nd June 2006 12:53 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner "Revolver", "White ALbum" and "Abbey Road" are much better than this overproduced psychdelic piece of crap.
2nd June 2006 01:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
2nd June 2006 02:31 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The most over rated album ever.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks so.
2nd June 2006 03:50 PM
gimmekeef It was quite a thing when it came out.Although Beach Boys Pet Sounds broke the same ground in a sense.Hasnt aged well for me.I can play the older Stones anytime..but Peppers?..Shit doubt I have heard/played in since 1970....
2nd June 2006 07:01 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Boring album
typical Macca english music hall slop........
2nd June 2006 07:17 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
From Revolver to Let it Be all Beatles albums are great, I heard the White Album and Sgt. on peyote long long time ago and I loved the experience.

I agree. Back in the day we'd wait with baited breath for every album by the Stones and the Beatles to come out, and grab them while they were hot off the presses. I like all the Beatles albums. Sgt. Peppers was a milestone.
2nd June 2006 09:51 PM
Soldatti
quote:
MemoFromTinaTurner wrote:
"Revolver", "White ALbum" and "Abbey Road" are much better than this overproduced psychdelic piece of crap.

I agree with the Abbey Road part.
2nd June 2006 10:13 PM
Kilroy The Greatest Pop Album of all Time.............POP
THe Stones I think have THe Greatest Rock Album....Exhile On Main St.
2nd June 2006 10:40 PM
mrhipfl That album was revolutionary. It changed the path of popular music forever. That album did for music what hendrix did for the electric guitar.
3rd June 2006 11:11 AM
hellobeatle
quote:
MemoFromTinaTurner wrote:
"Revolver", "White ALbum" and "Abbey Road" are much better than this overproduced psychdelic piece of crap.

what about Their Satanic Majesty's Request?
4th June 2006 11:14 AM
MrPleasant I do not like Revolver. I find George's compositions in there stupid (Taxman = Batman; I Want To Tell You = ZZZZZZ) and Lennon's vocals terribly annoying (they remind me of Oasis).

Salt 'n' Peppa do it for me, by a mile.
4th June 2006 04:03 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
hellobeatle wrote:

what about Their Satanic Majesty's Request?

I much prefer TSMR. She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home and 2000 Man are stand out songs! --- Seriously!

On the not so serious side--- it does have Gomper.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)