ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

IN MEMORY OF BILLY PRESTON
September 9, 1946 - June 6, 2006
© 1975 Neal Preston
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New DVD coming out: "Rolling Stones -- Under Review: 1962-1966 Return to archive
1st June 2006 06:45 PM
Mel Belli ROLLING STONES

Under Review: 1962-1966

Available on DVD

August 8, 2006

Through MVD

MVD and Sexy Intellectual are pleased to announce the home viewing
release of Rolling Stones: Under Review for U.S. distribution on DVD.

This 90-minute film reviews the music and career of one of rock music's
true giants during their formative years. The documentary includes rare
musical performances never before available on DVD, and obscure footage
such as rare interviews and private photographs of and with band
members.

There is also review, comment, criticism and insight from: esteemed
former Melody Maker journalist and early Stones champion, Chris Welch;
former NME editor in the 1960s and friend of the band, Keith Altham; the
Stones bodyguard and driver throughout the period of this film, Tom
Keylock; 1960s RnB vocalist and colleague of the group, Chris Farlowe;
original Rolling Stones member and Pretty Things guitarist Dick Taylor
and many others besides.

Featuring Live and Studio Recordings of these Classics: Satisfaction,
The Last Time, Not Fade Away, Little Red Rooster, Come On, and many
others.

Bonus Video

1. Special Feature 'Stones Stories'

2. The 'Hardest Rolling Stones Digital Interactive Quiz In The World
Ever'

3. Full contributor biographies

4. Beyond DVD section

1st June 2006 07:03 PM
glencar Let's hope this is not another "Rolling On"!
1st June 2006 07:46 PM
Gazza Keith Altham's stories are always a riot
1st June 2006 08:17 PM
wintersway dick taylor original, please, i dont consider a couple of rehearsals in front of four people before they even had theyre name an original member, besides none of the stones ever even mention him
1st June 2006 08:56 PM
Gazza he was there a lot longer than that, in fairness - he played with them live until October 1962 and also on their first studio demo session that same month

regardless of how little they choose to mention him (which is no big deal as they're not averse to even cropping Bill out of photos!) he was still a bonafide original member
1st June 2006 09:07 PM
MissJaneDoe Oh great, another chance for everyone to talk smack about Brian Jones. I can already picture a wasted Keith rambling about what a druggie Brian was.

Blah blah blah
1st June 2006 09:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
MissJaneDoe wrote:
Oh great, another chance for everyone to talk smack about Brian Jones. I can already picture a wasted Keith rambling about what a druggie Brian was.

Blah blah blah

none of the current Stones have anything to do with it, so I reckon youre safe....

plus as its only up to 1966, I doubt there'll be too much about Brian being a 'druggie'....

[Edited by Gazza]
1st June 2006 09:21 PM
pdog It might be good, but it reminds me of a few releases were people talk about The Stones, no music, no live footage, just talking...
A book might've been more fun.
1st June 2006 09:32 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
wintersway wrote:
dick taylor original, please, i dont consider a couple of rehearsals in front of four people before they even had theyre name an original member, besides none of the stones ever even mention him

dick taylor was a crucial element in the stones story and he provided an important link between mick and keith

to go off topic a bit - the mention of dick taylor and the huge joint that i have just smoked have caused me to think on the notion of the importance of an any one individual or event in the course of history

i dont know the population of the london musical community that the stones grew out of - Alexis Korner's band being the focal point for that imho - so you wonder if mick and kleith had not met on that train station platform would they, if they had continued to follow their commitment to the music, have crossed paths in any event at some stage...and given that they had already known each other since the age of four well they could have quite likely done something resembling the stones as they are

1st June 2006 09:38 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

none of the current Stones have anything to do with it, so I reckon youre safe....

plus as its only up to 1966, I doubt there'll be too much about Brian being a 'druggie'....

[Edited by Gazza]

True Gazza. I think this deals with the era prior to Brian's druggy period. This is the Brian's Women beating period. Which,ofcourse,was right after the Brian impregnates and leaves women and children behind period.

He was such a gent!

Riffy
1st June 2006 09:51 PM
MissJaneDoe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

True Gazza. I think this deals with the era prior to Brian's druggy period. This is the Brian's Women beating period. Which,ofcourse,was right after the Brian impregnates and leaves women and children behind period.

He was such a gent!

Riffy

Aw, go climb a coconut tree!

1st June 2006 10:02 PM
The_Worst "Under Review" is a series...Don't get your hopes up guys...I have a Pink Floyd & a Who one....It's just a bunch of music critics talking about the albums...They show footage but usually don't have the full legal rights to play the Stones official recordings so they usually have a cover band playing the songs...
1st June 2006 10:07 PM
MissJaneDoe
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
"Under Review" is a series...Don't get your hopes up guys...I have a Pink Floyd & a Who one....It's just a bunch of music critics talking about the albums...They show footage but usually don't have the full legal rights to play the Stones official recordings so they usually have a cover band playing the songs...

Hm, I wonder which band it will be. The Counterfeit Stones is a good band - the singer does a good Mick.
1st June 2006 10:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
"Under Review" is a series...Don't get your hopes up guys...I have a Pink Floyd & a Who one....It's just a bunch of music critics talking about the albums...They show footage but usually don't have the full legal rights to play the Stones official recordings so they usually have a cover band playing the songs...

Thanks for the warning.
1st June 2006 11:05 PM
wintersway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
he was there a lot longer than that, in fairness - he played with them live until October 1962 and also on their first studio demo session that same month

regardless of how little they choose to mention him (which is no big deal as they're not averse to even cropping Bill out of photos!) he was still a bonafide original member

if you say so , but in my book and alot of others , dick taylor was not and is not considered a rolling stone, be fair now he is just a blip on the radar screen, if that
2nd June 2006 02:03 AM
pdog
quote:
wintersway wrote:

if you say so , but in my book and alot of others , dick taylor was not and is not considered a rolling stone, be fair now he is just a blip on the radar screen, if that

His blip called The Pretty Things did some cool stuff... Blip or not, cool is cool to me, and success is measured by everyone in different ways...
The real question is, did he ever play with them, when they were called The Rolling Stones? The answer solidifies any arguments as to whether he was a Stone or not!
2nd June 2006 07:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
wintersway wrote:

If your definition of when the Stones started is the day they got a record contract with Decca, then maybe

However, the band started in July 1962, played several gigs and also first entered a recording studio that year. Taylor was present for all of that - which is a far cry from "a couple of rehearsals in front of four people before they even had their name "
2nd June 2006 12:50 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner I don't know nor do I care if Dick was an original member or not, all I know is that The Pretty Things kicked all kinds of ass. Brilliant band. Their first two albums are incredible and still sound great nowadays.

Signed,

The Midnight To Six Man...

2nd June 2006 06:57 PM
wintersway I am not slagging the pretty things man, taylor had a great band there, but he is not an original stone is my point , thats all
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)