ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

IN MEMORY OF BILLY PRESTON
September 9, 1946 - June 6, 2006
© 1975 Neal Preston
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: An Inconvenient Truth Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st June 2006 11:31 AM
keefkid http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_classics/aninconvenienttruth/trailer/
[Edited by keefkid]
1st June 2006 11:46 AM
gimmekeef The scary part is Gore using this issue to make another run.I'm concerned about the environment and global warming..but what good is driving my car to an air conditioned theater and watching this film going to do ?
1st June 2006 11:49 AM
Riffhard LOL! Algore should have named his propaganda film "A Convenient Lie". It's crap and has not one sentila of factual science to back it up. At best it is based on the hypothesis of no more than 45% of the scientific community. Don't let that stop you from buying it hook,line,and sinker though. Even most of the climatologists that believe in global warming reluctantly admit that this movie is vastly overblown. Even Algore himself admitted that he exaggerated the facts to "drive the point home".

When the earth is done with us it's gonna shake us off like a nasty case of the crabs.

Riffy
1st June 2006 11:59 AM
keefkid all i know is a picture is worth a thousand words.... how do you explain that away????

i just bought a v6 honda accord hybrid and it has zero emmisions and kicks ass... if there is even a bit of truth in this we need to pay attention...

and it has been over 90 degrees here in the northeast corridor for the last 5 days... 15 degrees + above normal... i was in Alaska a year or so ago, we took a plane ride over Mt Mckinley and the fissures in the ice were everywhere, the locals said climbing gets more & more hazardous every year because the glaziers are melting...AND YOU CAN SEE IT HAPPENING

1st June 2006 12:00 PM
keefkid
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The scary part is Gore using this issue to make another run.I'm concerned about the environment and global warming..but what good is driving my car to an air conditioned theater and watching this film going to do ?

go buy a hybrid and then drive to the theater...
1st June 2006 12:00 PM
keefkid
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The scary part is Gore using this issue to make another run.I'm concerned about the environment and global warming..but what good is driving my car to an air conditioned theater and watching this film going to do ?

or better yet... walk or ride a bicycle...
1st June 2006 12:01 PM
Nellcote But Riffy, look, Al flew around the country, speaking for thousands of dollars on how Bush is evil, yet the whole time, consuming precious petrol on countless air flights. He's the champion of the oppressed, he invented the internet. He has Tipper as his wife. Is he not the messiah?

I did not tell you, after the Asbury Park show, I hung around the convention center for a while, dodging security.
I wanted to try to meet Bruce.
I managed to get up to the right of the stage, where Landau (Bruce's manager), some hi felutin types were coming in and out. I turn around, Michael Moore & female friend (someone could not marry him, right?) walking right towards me.
I did all I could not trip the puke, and gave him a wicked stare as he walked by. I had a 2nd chance when he left, however, kept my eyes on the prize. I did get to see Mr. & Mrs. Boss, however, was shooed away from a meet & greet or photo shot. I got the nod, mission accomplished in my eyes.....

1st June 2006 12:02 PM
keefkid
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
But Riffy, look, Al flew around the country, speaking for thousands of dollars on how Bush is evil, yet the whole time, consuming precious petrol on countless air flights. He's the champion of the oppressed, he invented the internet. He has Tipper as his wife. Is he not the messiah?

I did not tell you, after the Asbury Park show, I hung around the convention center for a while, dodging security.
I wanted to try to meet Bruce.
I managed to get up to the right of the stage, where Landau (Bruce's manager), some hi felutin types were coming in and out. I turn around, Michael Moore & female friend (someone could not marry him, right?) walking right towards me.
I did all I could not trip the puke, and gave him a wicked stare as he walked by. I had a 2nd chance when he left, however, kept my eyes on the prize. I did get to see Mr. & Mrs. Boss, however, was shooed away from a meet & greet or photo shot. I got the nod, mission accomplished in my eyes.....

i dont give a shit about Al Gore... but i do care about this planet and this is real...
1st June 2006 12:05 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
LOL! Algore should have named his propaganda film "A Convenient Lie". It's crap and has not one sentila of factual science to back it up. At best it is based on the hypothesis of no more than 45% of the scientific community. Don't let that stop you from buying it hook,line,and sinker though. Even most of the climatologists that believe in global warming reluctantly admit that this movie is vastly overblown. Even Algore himself admitted that he exaggerated the facts to "drive the point home".

When the earth is done with us it's gonna shake us off like a nasty case of the crabs.

Riffy

When did you see the movie? Which part of the movie has lies? I wanna know when I'm going to be deceived at which point in the movie. Please detail the start and stop times of the lies please!
1st June 2006 12:29 PM
pdog Say it's all bullshit, no global warming. Why would making this planet cleaner and finding better ways to get energy be a bad thing?
Let's not forget, big money drives the pollution, and the economy is more important!
When did a company ever change b/c they realized they were hurting something? Never. The opposite is true, they fight tooth and nail against it, slandering anyone who speaks out against them.
I know this, in the end the earth will survive us...

1st June 2006 12:33 PM
glencar Well, I too drive a hybrid but I won't driving it to the theater to see Algore's twaddle. Whenever they warn you that a crisis is here, BEWARE!!!!
1st June 2006 12:34 PM
glencar BTW The Honda Accord V6 hybrid has been noted for not improving much on the MPG rating of the original. You should have gone with the Prius if you really cared.
1st June 2006 12:37 PM
Maxlugar Rich Lowry wrote a nice column about it.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MzQwMWRjZWFmMzIyNzc3OWQ3YjUwMTk0OWYzMWMwZGY=

1st June 2006 12:38 PM
keefkid ya i know, but the prius is .... well the prius...

haaaaa

i getting like 34-38 mpg, but isnt the thing the zero emmisions more so than the mpg?

its a start anyway... like i said i dont give a shit about Gore or politics, but i do really believe this is happening...

1st June 2006 12:38 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
BTW The Honda Accord V6 hybrid has been noted for not improving much on the MPG rating of the original. You should have gone with the Prius if you really cared.

And saved yourself a few grand to boot!
1st June 2006 12:40 PM
glencar keefkid, please read maxlugar's link & then respond. I think global warming is occuring but I think it's part of the cycle of nature. When I was a lad in the 70's, they told us a new Ice Age was coming.
1st June 2006 12:40 PM
keefkid
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Rich Lowry wrote a nice column about it.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MzQwMWRjZWFmMzIyNzc3OWQ3YjUwMTk0OWYzMWMwZGY=

nice, thanks...
1st June 2006 12:41 PM
glencar
quote:
keefkid wrote:
ya i know, but the prius is .... well the prius...

haaaaa

i getting like 34-38 mpg, but isnt the thing the zero emmisions more so than the mpg?

its a start anyway... like i said i dont give a shit about Gore or politics, but i do really believe this is happening...

Actually, I hate Toyota myself. I had a Corolla & it was a piece of crap. Those fecking Camry's are like mushrooms.
1st June 2006 12:41 PM
stonestom An inconvient truth for the left and other global warming pushers is Earth day. The First Earth Day in the 60's was about global freezing. The world was going to freeze. How's that for a truth.Ahhh if only we had hysteric liberals running our country. How scary it would be. If all Gore is going to lecture me on global warming than stop flying around in jumbo jets and suv's. The same goes for Congress Republican or democrats.
1st June 2006 12:43 PM
glencar I subscribe to NR & I read the Steorts article. I'm all for cutting back on our gasoline consumption for glbal security reasons but Algore is nuttier than last Christmas's fruitcake.
1st June 2006 12:46 PM
keefkid
quote:
glencar wrote:
keefkid, please read maxlugar's link & then respond. I think global warming is occuring but I think it's part of the cycle of nature. When I was a lad in the 70's, they told us a new Ice Age was coming.

hey... i remember that.. in the early 70's i was very young but i remember we had a few ice storms, i mean real ice storms power lines & trees down it was scaryyyyyy

who the hell knows, something is going on, we dont get winters anymore like we used to and like i said it is 95+ here in Jersey today and it should be like in the 70's...i have seen & read so much about global warming and it is real, but ya maybe not happening in like 50 years or anything, i know this is a 'movie' and movies dramatize big time and i guess a political push for Gore too big time...
1st June 2006 12:48 PM
stonestom Way to go Keefkid. Way to lighten up. Now say that over at iorr. Let da people know!
1st June 2006 12:49 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Rich Lowry wrote a nice column about it.

Rich Lowry article seems more like a hit piece on Al Gore than a review of the movie and it's premises. Here is a less biased review from scientists.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/05/al-gores-movie/

Al Gore’s movie
Filed under: Climate Science Reporting on climate— eric @ 3:21 pm
by Eric Steig

Along with various Seattle business and community leaders, city planners and politicians, a large group of scientists from the University of Washington got a chance to preview the new film, An Inconvenient Truth, last week. The film is about Al Gore's efforts to educate the public about global warming, with the goal of creating the political will necessary for the United States to take the lead in efforts to lower global carbon emissions. It is an inspiring film, and is decidedly non-partisan in its outlook (though there are a few subtle references to the Bush administration's lack of leadership on this and other environmental issues).

Since Gore is rumored to be a fan of RealClimate, we thought it appropriate to give our first impressions.

Much of the footage in Inconvenient Truth is of Al Gore giving a slideshow on the science of global warming. Sound boring? Well, yes, a little. But it is a very good slide show, in the vein of Carl Sagan (lots of beautiful imagery, and some very slick graphics and digital animation). And it is interspersed with personal reflections from Gore that add a very nice human element. Gore in the classroom in 1968, listening to the great geochemist Roger Revelle describe the first few years of data on carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere. Gore on the family farm, talking about his father's tobacco business, and how he shut it down when his daughter (Al Gore's sister) got lung cancer. Gore on the campaign trail, and his disappointment at the Supreme Court decision. This isn't the "wooden" Gore of the 2000 campgain; he is clearly in his element here, talking about something he has cared deeply about for over 30 years.

How well does the film handle the science? Admirably, I thought. It is remarkably up to date, with reference to some of the very latest research. Discussion of recent changes in Antarctica and Greenland are expertly laid out. He also does a very good job in talking about the relationship between sea surface temperature and hurricane intensity. As one might expect, he uses the Katrina disaster to underscore the point that climate change may have serious impacts on society, but he doesn't highlight the connection any more than is appropriate (see our post on this, here).

There are a few scientific errors that are important in the film. At one point Gore claims that you can see the aerosol concentrations in Antarctic ice cores change "in just two years", due to the U.S. Clean Air Act. You can't see dust and aerosols at all in Antarctic cores -- not with the naked eye -- and I'm skeptical you can definitively point to the influence of the Clean Air Act. I was left wondering whether Gore got this notion, and I hope he'll correct it in future versions of his slideshow. Another complaint is the juxtaposition of an image relating to CO2 emissions and an image illustrating invasive plant species. This is misleading; the problem of invasive species is predominantly due to land use change and importation, not to "global warming". Still, these are rather minor errors. It is true that the effect of reduced leaded gasoline use in the U.S. does clearly show up in Greenland ice cores; and it is also certainly true that climate change could exacerbate the problem of invasive species.

Several of my colleagues complained that a more significant error is Gore's use of the long ice core records of CO2 and temperature (from oxygen isotope measurements) in Antarctic ice cores to illustrate the correlation between the two. The complaint is that the correlation is somewhat misleading, because a number of other climate forcings besides CO2 contribute to the change in Antarctic temperature between glacial and interglacial climate. Simply extrapolating this correlation forward in time puts the temperature in 2100 A.D. somewhere upwards of 10 C warmer than present -- rather at the extreme end of the vast majority of projections (as we have discussed here). However, I don't really agree with my colleagues' criticism on this point. Gore is careful not to state what the temperature/CO2 scaling is. He is making a qualitative point, which is entirely accurate. The fact is that it would be difficult or impossible to explain past changes in temperature during the ice age cycles without CO2 changes (as we have discussed here). In that sense, the ice core CO2-temperature correlation remains an appropriate demonstration of the influence of CO2 on climate.

For the most part, I think Gore gets the science right, just as he did in Earth in the Balance. The small errors don't detract from Gore's main point, which is that we in the United States have the technological and institutional ability to have a significant impact on the future trajectory of climate change. This is not entirely a scientific issue -- indeed, Gore repeatedly makes the point that it is a moral issue -- but Gore draws heavily on Pacala and Socolow's recent work to show that the technology is there (see Science 305, p. 968 Stabilization Wedges: Solving the Climate Problem for the Next 50 Years with Current Technologies).

I'll admit that I have been a bit of a skeptic about our ability to take any substantive action, especially here in the U.S.
Gore's aim is to change that viewpoint, and the colleagues I saw the movie with all seem to agree that he is successful.

In short: this film is worth seeing. It opens in early June.
1st June 2006 12:51 PM
glencar
quote:
keefkid wrote:

hey... i remember that.. in the early 70's i was very young but i remember we had a few ice storms, i mean real ice storms power lines & trees down it was scaryyyyyy

who the hell knows, something is going on, we dont get winters anymore like we used to and like i said it is 95+ here in Jersey today and it should be like in the 70's...i have seen & read so much about global warming and it is real, but ya maybe not happening in like 50 years or anything, i know this is a 'movie' and movies dramatize big time and i guess a political push for Gore too big time...

keefkid, I'm in Long Island. It's a hot one today. I remember though when my sister was born in May 1974how hot it was. I agree that we should reduce emissions when possible & certainly stop using so much oil but Algore's movie is just junk. BTW Thanks for being so civil. Usually these threads turn into murderfests.
1st June 2006 12:54 PM
glencar After Algore's sister died from her cancer, he still voted for tobacco subsidies. Yes, it's an inconvenient truth...
1st June 2006 01:01 PM
JesusChrist
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
But Riffy... He's the champion of the oppressed, he invented the internet. He has Tipper as his wife. Is he not the messiah?

from Snopes.com

Claim: Vice-President Al Gore claimed that he "invented" the Internet.

Origins: Despite the derisive references that continue even today, Al Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading, out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.
Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly different meanings — the former is used in the sense of "to bring about" or "to bring into existence" while the latter is generally used to signify the first instance of someone's thinking up or implementing an idea. (To those who say the words "create" and "invent" mean exactly the same thing, we have to ask why, then, the media overwhelmingly and consistently cited Gore as having claimed he "invented" the Internet, even though he never used that word, and transcripts of what he actually said were readily available.)

If President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while President, "created" the Interstate Highway System, we would not have seen dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he "invented" the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Ike meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with his Internet statement.

Whether Gore's statement that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" is justified is a subject of debate. Any statement about the "creation" or "beginning" of the Internet is difficult to evaluate, because the Internet is not a homogenous entity (it's a collection of computers, networks, protocols, standards, and application programs), nor did it all spring into being at once (the components that comprise the Internet were developed in various places at different times and are continuously being modified, improved, and expanded). Despite a spirited defense of Gore's claim by Vint Cerf (often referred to as the "father of the Internet") in which he stated "that as a Senator and now as Vice President, Gore has made it a point to be as well-informed as possible on technology and issues that surround it," many of the components of today's Internet came into being well before Gore's first term in Congress began in 1977.

It is true, though, that Gore was popularizing the term "information superhighway" in the early 1990s (although he did not, as is often claimed by others, coin the phrase himself) when few people outside academia or the computer/defense industries had heard of the Internet, and he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act (which established a national computing plan and helped link universities and libraries via a shared network) and cosponsored the Information Infrastructure and Technology Act of 1992 (which opened the Internet to commercial traffic).

In May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet. "He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," said Vint Cerf.

You're right, though. Tipper IS his wife.

Great story about giving Michael Moore the skunk-eye while you were stalking the Boss. That'll teach him!

Why the heck do you suppose Bruce hangs out with commies like Moore and Gore and Pete Seeger? Didn't he write the patriotic anthem "Born in the USA"?
1st June 2006 01:02 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm in Long Island. It's a hot one today.

Glencar, what the ocean temp out there? I'm going to be out your way next week and want to know if I need to bring a wetsuit to hit the water.
1st June 2006 01:04 PM
keefkid
quote:
stonestom wrote:
Way to go Keefkid. Way to lighten up. Now say that over at iorr. Let da people know!

haaaaa yea i did post this on iorr & shidoo and the shidoobees ATTACKED me haaaa i am stupid sorry, i did not really think this was a political thing at all i do not follow politics its amazing i even know who Al Gore is...seriously...

i totally see others p.o.v. and im not the sharpest tool in the shed so i take all info i can get from others, i do belive in global warming however and it scares the hell out of me...

i guess that is the point of this movie haaaaa
gimmekeef Well maybe if it keeps getting hotter and hotter..It'll fry those terrorist fuckwads in the Middle East!..That would be nice....
glencar I have a pool, monkeyman. I've been spolied by the ocean off teh Carolina coast so I rarely go up here. I'd guess it's not too warm yet. If it's in my newspaper today, I'll let you know.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)