ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

IN MEMORY OF BILLY PRESTON
September 9, 1946 - June 6, 2006
© 1975 Neal Preston
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most influential guitarist ? Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th May 2006 06:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels DAVID GILMOUR - MOST INFLUENTIAL GUITARIST?

This coming Sunday (May 28th) sees the culmination of radio station Classic Rock Q107's worldwide poll to determine the most influential guitarists of all time. David Gilmour is in the running for top spot for his guitar work over the last four decades for Pink Floyd, and his own solo material.

In the show on Sunday night, at 9pm, the Toronto, Canada based station reveals the top ten guitar legends - and David is amongst them. Q107 invited music fans around the world to vote, and the response to the poll was overwhelming. It even grabbed the attention of Gilmour - his official website DavidGilmour.com highlighted the series and gave visitors instructions on how to participate.

Our thanks to Andrew over at Q107 for letting us know about the show. We know many of you enjoy these sort of polls... If you cannot tune in on your radio to Q107, the show is also available on Corus Radio Classic Rock affiliates across Canada, and via the Q107.com website.

www.q107.com
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0605262.html

Here's the top 40, minus, of course, the top ten!

11) Mark Knopfler
12) Slash
13) John Fogerty
14) Brian May
15) Jeff Beck
16) Neil Young
17) Randy Rhoades
18) George Harrison
19) Keith Richards
20) Steve Howe
21) Ritchie Blackmore
22) Joe Satriani
23) Frank Zappa
24) Tony Iommi
25) The Edge
26) John Lennon
27) Steve Vai
28) Duane Allman
29) Randy Bachman
30) Joe Perry
31) Joe Walsh
32) Peter Frampton
33) Steve Hackett
34) Alvin Lee
35) Jeff Healey
36) Jerry Garcia
37) Rik Emmett
38) Ace Frehley
39) Lindsay Buckingham
40) Billy Gibbons

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th May 2006 06:35 AM
charlotte John Fahey(1939-2001)

Blind Joe Death is the first album by John Fahey. Initially released in 1959 as a very limited edition, it was reissued by Takoma in 1964. All the tracks, and additional re-recordings, are included on the more recent 1996 release, The Legend of Blind Joe Death. It's a collector's item.

27th May 2006 06:57 AM
marko I think,these fellows,are the ones,i think has the "most"
influence,in playing guitar.Gilmour is not them.
1.Jimmy Hendrix
2.Tony Iommi
3.keith richards
4.jimmy page
5.Frank zappa
6.Ritchie Blackmore
7.eric clapton
8.mark knopfler
27th May 2006 07:21 AM
lotsajizz Les Paul
27th May 2006 08:29 AM
geecee
27th May 2006 08:52 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Les Paul

Absolutely.....Chuck Berry/BB King/...and George Harrison ahead of Keith....course they probably gave Harrison the spot based on While My Guitar Gently Weeps...not even knowing that was Clapton...
27th May 2006 10:28 AM
BILL PERKS CHUCK BERRY AND SCOTTY MOORE
27th May 2006 10:31 AM
GotToRollMe Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Keith Richards
Johnny Thunders

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
27th May 2006 10:44 AM
lotsajizz Scotty Moore is VERY under-rated---Keith played one of his recent albums

27th May 2006 10:54 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Scotty Moore is VERY under-rated---Keith played one of his recent albums

I have a signed copy of that one.Keith plays "Deuce and A Quarter" with Levon Helm & Band..awesome..Ronnie plays with Jeff Beck on a track as well.Scotty has a website and a gal runs it.You can get "All The Kings Men" signed and delivered for around $13.....
27th May 2006 11:08 AM
lotsajizz you're a lucky man!
27th May 2006 07:24 PM
Chuck In no particular order:

Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
BB King
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton
Les Paul
Django Reinhardt
Jeff Beck
Robert Johnson
James Burton
Albert King
Keith Richards
Johnny Winter
Mick Taylor
Robin Trower
[Edited by Chuck]
27th May 2006 07:29 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
CHUCK BERRY AND SCOTTY MOORE

Very wise...

Keith by the way would certainly rank in the top 10- he borrowed heavily from both those men but then added his own quite unique twist to the basic 3-chord progression, the basis for RnR and RnB...
27th May 2006 08:49 PM
lotsajizz faves, in no order...

Richards, Taylor, Clapton, J. Beck, Fripp, Page, A. Young, Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Garcia, Burton, Belew, B. Jones, D. Allman, Betts, Verlaine, Cropper, Wood, Townshend, McCready, Hendrix, Bloomfield, May, Gilmour, Manzanera, Perkins, Knopfler, M. Jones, Green, Malstem, Thunders
27th May 2006 10:41 PM
scratched
quote:
Chuck wrote:
In no particular order:

Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
BB King
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton
Les Paul
Django Reinhardt
Robert Johnson
James Burton
Albert King
Keith Richards

Word. I would like to add Charlie Christian, Son House, Steve Cropper, Neil Young, Lou Reed and Pete Townshend.
28th May 2006 01:56 PM
speedfreakjive given this is a stones board - then Chuck Berry has to be #1

and what about Ronnie!!???
28th May 2006 02:10 PM
Dan I dont know what their criteria is for "influential" but if the word means what I think it means, then #38 is way too low a number for Ace Frehley.
28th May 2006 03:07 PM
J.J.Flash In my humble opinion, being a terrific guitar player, fast, with lots of technique, knowledge and speed (and maybe very creative) doesn't mean that this same guitarist must be in a list of influential guitar players.

I will add my list later.

Cheers!
28th May 2006 07:12 PM
PNiem In terms of influential I'd rather think of a musician's musician. Believe it or not, wether it was Hendrix or Harrison or Richards, they all had in common that they were admittedly heavily influenced by - tataa - Mickey Baker. You don't know Mickey Baker? Guess there's some homework to be done. Just grab your Atlantic Records collection ... or look for some Baker chord books ALL of the well known guitareros have learned their chops off ...
28th May 2006 11:33 PM
Chuck Wes Montgomery
Chet Atkins
Merle Travis
Billy Gibbons
Link Wray
Scottie Moore
Charlie Christian
Elmore James
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Bert Jansch
Clarence White
Doc Watson
Freddie King
28th May 2006 11:59 PM
MarkP Charlie Christian - 1st guy to go electric back in the 30's when he put a microphone in his acoustic guitar so he could be heard when playing with the big bands of the day

B.B. King & Albert King - A great deal of the licks rock guitar players use came from these two guys

Chuck Berry - Morphed blues & R&B into R&R and laid down THE template for rock song construction and accompanying guitar playing (no Chuck, no Keith)

Wes Montgomery
Pat Metheny
Pete Townshend
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Grant Green
Freddie Green
Robert Johnson

29th May 2006 12:31 AM
JuanTCB Roger McGuinn has to be on there, if only for his influence on American rock of the '80s (Petty, R.E.M., etc.).

Rick Nielsen wouldn't be a wrong answer, either.
29th May 2006 05:33 AM
Jaxx the key word is influential. who makes up these lists? buddy holly and chuck berry IMO are among the most influential--the basic rock n roll guitar and a great influence on most rock and roll bands, rolling stones included. keith is obviously influenced by these guys. jimi hendrix, influential for electric guitar touched the likes of stevie ray just to name one of many. IMO garcia is way too low on the influential list--he has played with many musicians in many genres from rock, to RnB, bluegrass and jazz. he is the influence for many of the jam bands that have been popping up.

where the hell is frank zappa on that list?
29th May 2006 06:09 AM
Jumping Jack Santana needs to be added on the list somewhere.

I'd say Berry was the most influential.
29th May 2006 10:01 AM
FPM C10
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
In my humble opinion, being a terrific guitar player, fast, with lots of technique, knowledge and speed (and maybe very creative) doesn't mean that this same guitarist must be in a list of influential guitar players.

Absolutely correct, my esteemed South American friend. The criterion is "influence", and as such, a case could be made for Elvis Presley. He could just barely play 3 chords, but the fact that he used a guitar (an acoustic, with a shape which suggested both a woman and a phallus) as a prop was hugely influential.
29th May 2006 10:27 AM
Chuck Frank Zappa
Pete Townshend
Roy Buchanan
Tony Iommi
Hank Marvin
Mark Knopfler
Brian May
George Harrison
Neil Young
Steve Cropper
Dickey Betts
Joe Walsh
Carlos Santana
Peter Frampton
Mike Bloomfield
Rory Gallagher
Joe Perry
Ry Cooder
29th May 2006 10:01 PM
Soldatti Jimi Hendrix
30th May 2006 10:41 PM
tookthatname influential?

MEL BAY!!!!

hahahaha
31st May 2006 12:06 AM
Barney Fife If it's rock music, then there is only one answer:

Any other answer is quite simply.......wrong!
31st May 2006 12:42 AM
pdog Influence has to start at the begining, and even if modern day guitarists don't know who _____ is ,it doesn't matter, follow the family tree. Anything else is just bullshit list-mania and it makes me ill.
Influence, just looking at the list, shows me it's mostly about popularity and name recognition, not influence!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)