ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Beggars Banquet's sessions - Olympic Sound Studios, London - 10th June 1968
No Expectations and Sympathy For The Devil
Dean Goodhill

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: First RS Movie?? Return to archive
05-29-02 12:49 PM
Martha
To the Stones archivists:
Need answer!
In the Mojo's crossword puzzle this month;
1. Across asks: (what was...) The first Stones movie
(7, 2, 2, 7)>> meaning 4 separate words with the specified letters.

Thanks!

peace,
melody
05-29-02 12:57 PM
moy charlie is my darling ??
05-29-02 01:08 PM
Joey The Sound of Music , 1965

05-29-02 01:26 PM
jb "Josh is rich, and we like him, like him, yes we do"
P.S.-Tell your little pal kiffhard to tone down his act or this liberal Democrat will tell you what I really think of a Republican stones fan..beware!
05-29-02 10:51 PM
Martha I'm surprised no one has given me the title yet, where are you archivists??? Gazza, I know you have the answer...and if it is right in front of my nose...well I'll chalk it up to disintegrating brain cells.

So, fisrt Stones movie 4 words inthe title letters for each word as follows: 7,2,2,7

No it isn't the Sound of Music (nice try)..letters don't fit but certainly close in context and form otherwise.
05-29-02 10:55 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Yeah, it WAS posted. You must have missed it...

C-H-A-R-L-I-E

I-S

M-Y

D-A-R-L-I-N-G

That's the answer...
05-29-02 11:18 PM
Martha Didn't miss it..just didn't realize it was a for real title. What is the movie about? I've never (obviously) heard of it and I saw a lot of strange stuff including "Performance" in film school. Thanks for the clarification Cardinal!
05-30-02 12:00 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:
Didn't miss it..just didn't realize it was a for real title. What is the movie about? I've never (obviously) heard of it and I saw a lot of strange stuff including "Performance" in film school. Thanks for the clarification Cardinal!

It's a great B&W film by Peter Whitehead, who later did the videos for "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby". It's the Stones on a tour of Ireland in 1965. It was announced at the time by Andrew that the Stones were going to start making a movie each year - it's too bad they didn't. '66 and '67 would have made wild movies.

Best part of the flick is Mick & Keith, drunk, making fun of Elvis. And a great embarrassing interview with Brian where he's caught not knowing what surrealism is. And a loooooong interview with Charlie which shows why Charlie never does interviews.

It's semi-arty, obviously influenced by the french New Wave. I really like it a lot despite (or because of) its pretensions. It's nowhere near as weird or pretentious or GREAT as Performance. It's just the Stones on the road in '65. It also has some really bad schmaltzy Stones muzak which I GUESS is the Aranbee Orchestra, under the baton (according to Andrew)of Maestro Keith Richard.

Great moment:

Keith: "Who do you think you are...Mick Jagger?"
05-30-02 01:27 AM
Cardinal Ximinez If you have a clean copy of that, you should tranfer it over to DVD...and give me the 1st copy.

Oh, and I'm glad to help Martha, but moy was the one who came up with the right answer. So, she should get all the credit.
[Edited by Cardinal Ximinez]
05-30-02 01:54 AM
padre I bought a VCD called Rolling with the Stones. The stuff you mentioned about SIMD sounds a lot like the stuff in here. Anyone know if it's the same flick with a different name?
05-30-02 02:15 AM
bluesgirl what about One Plus One, I thought it was the first official film.
05-30-02 05:39 AM
bluesgirl found this martha on the web:

This legendary, cult film, was never released - having become trapped in the sad and unfortunate legal problems between the Stones and Allen Klein. Each year recently ABCKO in America has promised release of the film but so far it hasn't shown up.

It was given its premiere at the Mannheim Film Festival in 1966 when Joseph von Sternberg was Director of the Festival. He said -

"When all the other films at this festival are long forgotten, this film will still be watched - as a unique document of its times."

Filmed over three days in Dublin and Belfast, the film captures the boys in all their pristine and unspoilt pagan energy and satanic glory - soon after the release of their first big single in America - the record which established them there - "I can't get no satisfaction".

The passionate stage performances are finally wrecked by fans getting on the stage - the boys have to flee for their lives over railway lines when they arrive in Belfast. Scenes in the dressing room are highlighted by Keith playing acoustic Blues guitar - showing what a master he was on the guitar, and how serious he had always been about Blues music. Interviews with Charlie and Bill are very revealing - but most poignant of all is the interview with Brian Jones in which he discusses his threatened future as a Rolling Stone. Speaking only of 'time' and 'insecurity of his future as a Rolling Stone', he seemed already unconsciously aware of his fate. Did he not deliberately bring it upon himself?

The film ends with the legendary scenes of Keith and Mick drunk in the hotel ballroom - Keith playing the piano (extremely well!) and Mick doing an accurate and subversive impersonation of Elvis.

05-30-02 11:48 PM
Martha
Thank you Moy..(I realized I neglected to add that to my last post Cardina... please forgive my sins)...and THANKS BG for the article on this documentary flick....no wonder I've never seen or heard of it.

Would LOVE to see it...anyone have a copy out there?

now if I could only come up with the rest of the crossword puzzle answers this easily......

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road