ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Beggars Banquet's sessions - Olympic Sound Studios, London - 10th June 1968
No Expectations and Sympathy For The Devil
Dean Goodhill

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Trolling Fer Taylor Return to archive
05-29-02 12:42 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I'm worried I'm opening up a can of worms here (hence the title of the post), but here goes nothing...

In every way possible, in all technichal categories, Mick Taylor is a better guitarist than Ronnie Wood. Taylor's mastered a very fluid style of work that just works so damn well on "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile" that Ronnie's choppy chordish rhythm-guitar style doesn't match.

That being said, a friend of mine and I were talking, and we decided that if Taylor had stayed past IORR, the band would have broken up. Keith and Taylor were at the time at each others throats (ruining Taylor's solo by shutting off his power and yelling "Oy! Taylor! Yer playing too fucking loud!"), and Taylor was slipping deeper and deeper into heroin. By contrast, Ronnie Wood, the nice guy, loved being around the Stones, always had a laugh, and was well-liked by everyone. No, he wasn't the greatest guitarist, but he certainly was the glue that held the Stones together through the late 70s (Keith's return from HeroLand) and absolutely through the 80s (No explination needed...). Now, a lot of people think they haven't produced any good albums since "Tattoo You" (or even "Some Girls"), but I their work, while not necessarily of the caliber that the Magic Four ("Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers", "Exile On Main Street") and Their Bastard Child ("Some Girls") were, they're, in comparison to most modern Rock bands, still very much deserving of the title "The Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band In The World". Ronnie's just a much better 'match' for the Stones, and I"m perfectly willing to trade that virtuoso quality of Taylor for the sake of the band sticking together.

I'd right more, but I gotta go take an exam... rock on...
05-29-02 01:07 PM
Joey "Keith and Taylor were at the time at each others throats (ruining Taylor's solo by shutting off his power and yelling "Oy! Taylor! Yer playing too fucking loud!"), and Taylor was slipping deeper and deeper into heroin. "

You took that straight out of " OLD GODS ALMOST DEAD " .

Ya know , I kinda like that !

Isn't " GODS " a great book ???? I have read that thing five times now and each reading awakens the little nuances and vagaries that I missed on preceding turns . Many individuals who post here on this board agree with me about how magnificent " OLD GODS " is , and I especially find fascinating the wonderful adventures of the boys in the 70's . Man ,after Altamont , Keith Richards went nuts . He is truly lucky to be alive ...............he easily could have gone the way of Moonie .

" Bitch Slap My Ass RAW Ronnie "

Club " Clubby Bear " Joey

The Joey , C9

05-29-02 01:08 PM
sway I'm in total agreement with you however I do think Black and Blue and most of their eighties albums would have been a hell of a lot better with Mssr Taylor.

That said, they would have never survived without Ronnie.
05-29-02 01:22 PM
jb The worst Taylor chord runs circles around Ron "I'm the luckiest man " in the world Woods!
05-29-02 02:41 PM
Maxlugar The sound Mick Taylor makes when he opens his guitar case is better than anything Ronnie ever did.

Yeah!

Go Maxy!!

Gimme an m: M!
Gimme an a: A!
Gimme an x: X!
Gimme a y: Y!

Whats that spell? MAXY!
Whats that spell? MAXY!
Whats that spell? MAXY!

We should list Ronnie's best blown moments.

For me it's the solo during Blinded By Rainbows off the Indescribably good Voodoo Lounge. He starts off with this soaring note but cuts it off at the balls with his choppy start stop playing. God damn Mick Taylor would have had a field day with that one. His fluid, life affirming, ear drum caressing, soul lifting, (holy shit, I'm on a roll. You got a pen Joey?) precision note launching, liquid, magically stonesilicious fingers are much missed by all smart Stones fans like myself.

So lets sum it all up here, shall we?

Mick Taylor = Great
Ronnie Wood = Not so much so.

But does it really make so much of a difference when you're in a Long Black Limousine, surrounded by Stones buddies, drunk and stoned, with two large breast implants covering your ears? At that moment, is the whole Wood vs Taylor thing really that important? Can the human ear hear through a breast implant? I'm willing to try.

"Stripper for the Limo, Ronnie!"

Thanks for your time.

Maxy!
05-29-02 02:54 PM
Joey "We should list Ronnie's best blown moments. "

Anything during the years 1997 - 1999 .

Maxy , I would like to clutch your massive , bristling , implacable , monstrous , corpulent body to my ample bosom and scratch , pat and stroke your moist , sweaty and quivering forehead , and just say , " Thank You " for being ......well , .............You !

Bunny

05-29-02 03:24 PM
Nasty Habits Stripper for the limo? This limo ride is turning into what may be the only thing affiliated with the Stones' 2002 tour that resembles the Cocksucker Blues movie. I certainly hope someone is going to film it.

Speaking of CSB, has anyone else seen the DVD that it making the rounds? I got one last week and it looks great! So strange to watch it without all the dropouts and squiggles. It seems so much less decadent and evil when it's not ten generations removed from a decent copy.

Some facts:

Rolling Stones w/Brian Jones = Greatest band in history of world.
Rolling Stones w/Mick Taylor = Greatest band in history of world.
Rolling Stones w/Ron Wood = Greatest band in history of world.

Strange but true.

The Rolling Stones may have been at their greatest with Mick Taylor, they couldn't have made Some Girls with him.

It's what I gotta do . . .
05-29-02 03:41 PM
Maxlugar Nasty!

You're damned straight this thing will be filmed! Your gotta see this big ass camera FPM hauls along with him for these events. Damn thing is a classic.

I sure hope you girls like strippers too. Who doesn't? They smell nice.

Hey Nasty, did your little gift of Tosh, Wailers and Kinks arrive yet?

M.L. Y2K + 2!
05-29-02 03:50 PM
Joey Don't forget that I am driving that Limo to the gig .

Man are we going to have fun with me at the Wheel .I have already lined up Pre-parties at Pete Townshend and Elton John's Apts . , so get your drinking shoes on solid .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey !

Yeah , Joey !!!!!!

Clubby

05-29-02 05:42 PM
gypsy71 I am driving that limo, Joey!
05-29-02 06:10 PM
T&A good summary. however, one tends to forget that the Stones are not now and never have been defined by guitar solos. They were, indeed, fortunate to be graced by Taylor - one of the alltime best blues-rock soloists - but even in that era they are better recognized for the songs, not the solos. That's where Ronnie fits in so beautifully. Although his solo chops have diminished (to put it politely), he still acts as the glue and he can still make valuable contributions to the "songs." He even writes a fair tune - I think his new solo albums is full of hidden gems (much better than MJ's outing). Don't forget it's about the songs first...
05-29-02 06:33 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Here we go bashing Ronnie again. As I've said before, if you want to talk shit about Woody, you ain't no fan. And I must say one more time, fuck off. You people have just been given a wonderful gift, a new Stones tour this year, yet you are constantly putting down Ronnie. If you really love The Stones and respect their judgement, then you should think twice about all of your negative shit about a MEMBER of the band.
05-29-02 06:55 PM
Martini I really like Ronnie, as well as Mick T., but I hope Ronnie is a little stronger this tour. I don't know if they intentionally mixed him down during the last couple tours, or if he just wasn't playing much, but on some tapes of the '97-'99 shows it is kinda hard to hear him. Keith definitely took up the slack, though.

Hoping a strong return to form for Ronnie,

-M

05-29-02 07:10 PM
somegirl what are you guy�s talking about all the time. I really, really like Mick Taylor, but also respect Ronnie Wood.
Although I�m not always understanding in details, as I�m not English speaking in my motherlanguage, I love to read the messages on the board about Mick Taylor. But most of the time I wonder if you�re really living in the past.

Go and see Mick Taylor play, enjoy it, and try to talk to him (which is not that difficult, if you do it in an appropriate way --especially here in Europe).Then you`ll know what it�s all about...... Time is changing, the Stones have improved in their way, Mick Taylor in his way....both are happy with what they�re are doing.

I also think Taylormade Stones are the best, but that�s way gone......anyway I�m convinced that he�ll be up on stage playing with the boys and it will be hyper......I will enjoy it, for sure..(hpefully it�ll be in europe ,too) and I think there`s no competing between Wood/Taylor, as they respect each other. Only some of the fans do.....unfortunately!
What I would love best is that Mick Taylor would open up the show with his own band- do his own thing- and then join in for a few numbers........what do you think??
05-29-02 07:42 PM
Nasty Habits Mizaxxy --

My little burnies did arrive in the mail today, hot onna heels of their little bruthas. Please bear with me - 3/4 of the way home on my end of the deal.

I've been wondering about something -- do they even let citizens drive rented limos? Doncha need a chauffeur's license for that? Or am I from Missouri? And aren't all limo drivers assholes who write books about your embarassing (or glorious) infidelities?

Not to put a pin in anybody's blimp, but . . . who'd wanna put that on their resum�?

Taylor opening for the Stones would be hyper.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
05-29-02 08:31 PM
somegirl hyper hyper
what are you talking about??
05-30-02 12:19 AM
T&A I don't consider myself a Ronnie basher. I referred to his diminished skills as a soloist. That's just plain fact. I love Ronnie. I'm glad he's in the band and not MT. As someone indicated here, the Stones probably wouldn't be around as a band today had MT not left and Ronnie joined. But, you'd have to been deaf and dumb to not recognize that Ronnie can't play like he used to. That's a fact, Jack. I'm as big a Stone fan as anyone out there, but I have no problem with the truth. You CAN be a Stones die-hard and still know truth from fiction.
05-30-02 08:42 AM
Maxlugar >" And aren't all limo drivers assholes who write books about your embarassing (or glorious) infidelities?"

Well see, this is why Joey makes such a good Limo driver.

He's a scumbag.

Perfect fit!

05-30-02 09:10 AM
Joey 'Well see, this is why Joey makes such a good Limo driver.

He's a scumbag.

Perfect fit! "

You make Joey cry like baby !!!!!!!

05-30-02 07:32 PM
swapwoodfortaylor What 'Happy' forgets is the fact that there are only 3 Rolling Stones on the forthcoming tour........as far as we know!
05-31-02 05:45 PM
woodywoodpecker
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
The sound Mick Taylor makes when he opens his guitar case is better than anything Ronnie ever did.

Yeah!

Go Maxy!!

Gimme an m: M!
Gimme an a: A!
Gimme an x: X!
Gimme a y: Y!

Whats that spell? MAXY!
Whats that spell? MAXY!
Whats that spell? MAXY!

We should list Ronnie's best blown moments.

For me it's the solo during Blinded By Rainbows off the Indescribably good Voodoo Lounge. He starts off with this soaring note but cuts it off at the balls with his choppy start stop playing. God damn Mick Taylor would have had a field day with that one. His fluid, life affirming, ear drum caressing, soul lifting, (holy shit, I'm on a roll. You got a pen Joey?) precision note launching, liquid, magically stonesilicious fingers are much missed by all smart Stones fans like myself.

So lets sum it all up here, shall we?

Mick Taylor = Great
Ronnie Wood = Not so much so.

But does it really make so much of a difference when you're in a Long Black Limousine, surrounded by Stones buddies, drunk and stoned, with two large breast implants covering your ears? At that moment, is the whole Wood vs Taylor thing really that important? Can the human ear hear through a breast implant? I'm willing to try.

"Stripper for the Limo, Ronnie!"

Thanks for your time.

Maxy!

He we go again! Maxy your a F@#k Wit!
None of you Taylor fans are true Stones fans! So F@#k Off
and stop posting such shit here!
Your ears are well bashed with listening to that drop out Taylor. Ronnies a survivour and you Taylor fans are to embarssed to Listen to Ronnies work and the Faces! Ronnie never needed Keith Richards to back him up in the Faces
and let me tell ya he did a mighty fine job. His fingers are true genius.
Hey Joey you F@#k off too!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road