ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Beggars Banquet's sessions - Olympic Sound Studios, London - 10th June 1968
No Expectations and Sympathy For The Devil
Dean Goodhill

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Darryl Jones Return to archive
05-29-02 10:37 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Who is this Stones bassist now that Give-Me-Yer-Daughters Bill has left and gone away? I think Jones's a good player, but are they ever gonna let him into the band or just go around pretending they get along fine without a bass player? I know "Black and Blue" never officially gave Ronnie the credit and even after he was in the band unofficially it took 'em ten years to officially make him a full partner, but it's been two albums now... right? Wait... who played on "Voodoo Lounge"? Oh well. They went through "Bridges", not to mention the pair of quasi-live albums "Stripped" and "No Security" with him in tow... what're they gonna do with him?
05-29-02 10:48 AM
nankerphelge They are going to let him play and tour with them, and put "I played with the Stones" on his resume. And that's it. He didn't put them on the map - why would they let him in? He plays well enough -- but truth is they don't need another offical member of the band to take a piece of the Rolling Stones pie. He'll get whatever he gets for his services, good hotels, all the booze and pills and powders he could want, hot and cold running girls, etc.

He can fucking deal with it the way it is (which I am sure ain't so bad) or he can hit the road (and pick up with Mick Taylor's band which, rumour has it, is really starting to get a head of steam!)

05-29-02 11:13 AM
TomL Well said Nanky.
05-29-02 11:18 AM
jb Look, this fat ass has no reason to be a stone-his playing sucks the big one, he adds nothing to the beat, inspires no one, and to be politically incorrect, only picked b/c it was cool to have a brother play with the band...Mick Taylor could easily have been brought in on bass!
05-29-02 11:35 AM
Riffhard jb(Josh),
Your constant insindiary posts are designed for one purpose.To start conflict.The fact is D.Jones is a VERY capable bass player.I mean shit the guy played in Miles Davis' band.Miles NEVER hired slouches,never.If you think otherwise maybe you need to get your cherished money out of your ears!The guy can flat out play.Remember,his role with the band is one of a hired gun.We're never gonna see him pull out any Entwhistle like bass runs.It's not in his job discription.He is only supposed to fill in the low end,and stay in the pocket.He does that as well as any player out there.He is a much better player than he is showing on stage with the Stones.Listen to his earlier work.Great stuff indeed.
As for a staring role,or full membership,forget that.It's way too late in the game for that.

Riffhard
05-29-02 11:49 AM
56DeSoto I like Darryl Jones. His bass playing is solid, he always looks like he's enjoying himself and he's not just out there aping Bill Wyman. He puts his own twist and rumble on the bass lines, but always keeps them steady and familiar anyway...no small task. I had read that they pretty much let Charlie choose. The Miles Davis connection probably played a big role in his selection and they got a good one. Darryl Jones could make his living playing bass anywhere he wants to, I'm just glad to hear him doing it with the Stones.

Amanda
56DeSoto
www.edithgrove.com
05-29-02 11:58 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
Look, this fat ass has no reason to be a stone!

He's not a Stone. Never has, never will be. Just because you're on stage with a band doesn't automatically label you as a member.
05-29-02 12:30 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
Look, this fat ass has no reason to be a stone-his playing sucks the big one, he adds nothing to the beat, inspires no one, and to be politically incorrect, only picked b/c it was cool to have a brother play with the band...Mick Taylor could easily have been brought in on bass!

Hey, man, politically correct choices for bassists and anti-semite fans in France... I hate to be rude, man, 'cuz I've gotten info wrong too, but where do you get this stuff? The reason Le Pen or whatever his name was made it into the runoff in France was because of isolated rural communities and people just looking for a change from Jacques Chirac (sp?). I heard what someone else earlier said - Charlie made the call because Charlie's the rhythm section on his own. And this guy's got credentials and I think, while he's certainly not as flexable as Bill was, that Jones can hold the beat without playing Bill note for note.

Taylor? On bass? Waste *Taylor* on *bass*? He does wonderfully on Exile, sure, but this is Mick "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" Taylor we're talkin' about.
05-29-02 12:34 PM
Martha
Your constant insindiary posts are designed for one purpose.To start conflict.

Riffhard., thanks for stating the obvious..my sentiments exactly. The money in the ears was cute too!

Great photo today! Thanks for the insight on Darrelll Jones...interesting.

peace,
Melody
05-29-02 01:15 PM
jb Hey Martha, go blow geroge!
05-29-02 06:15 PM
Gazza No one will be joining the Stones as a fully paid up band member at this stage of their career as said above. They signed their Virgin contract as a 4-piece (Bill was still officially a band member at the time but didnt sign the contract)and when they hired Darryl for "Voodoo Lounge" they did say they werent recruiting a 5th member. Its no big deal the fact that they didnt replace Bill - they didnt replace Ian Stewart either when they dropped from a sextet to a quintet after all!

Darryl's a superb musician -as the man said,when you play with a legend like Miles Davis,you're hired because you have quality. Miles was a perfectionist and would never tolerate a passenger.
05-29-02 09:37 PM
John Wood He may be a good bass player, but Bill with the Stones
was a great bass player!
05-31-02 06:30 AM
Cant Catch Me Jones may be a good and even great bass player, but I think it was a mistake to hire anybody to simply disappear under the mix, so hopefully people would forget Wyman quit. It's like the RSO (Rolling Stones Orchestra) Plays the Music of the Rolling Stones.
Somebody with a distinctive (but complementary) style would have been much better. Maybe it would have changed the sound of the band, but that would have been good, it was time to shake things up a bit. Somebody with a strong personality and playing style would have challenged them, maybe gotten them off their asses, maybe encouraged them to PLAY, like Ronnie did when he joined. Hell, if they wanted a brother they should have hired Bootsy Collins, or I would have liked to see them hire Jack Casady. The Jefferson Airplane, in their time and in their own way, truly rocked.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road