ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Beggars Banquet's sessions - Olympic Sound Studios, London - 10th June 1968
No Expectations and Sympathy For The Devil
Dean Goodhill

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Saint of me Return to archive
05-28-02 06:41 PM
brukselbb Who wrote Saint of me? Mick or Keith?
05-28-02 06:58 PM
Gazza Mick

Keith doesnt even PLAY on "Saint of Me"
05-28-02 07:02 PM
Saint Sway as the official Saint of the board, I'll take a stab at this one....

gotta say Mick. Micks into boring us with his useless knowledge of ancient history and mythology... "Saint Paul the Prosecuter was a blah blah blah who really cares blah blah of a soul" and "Augusta knew tiddly winks he liked whip cream, baby oil and thongs"

In fact, I distictly remember reading an interview where Keith said he didnt understand Micks recent obsession with writing crap like "seeing angels cry"
05-28-02 07:26 PM
brukselbb Dear Saint Sway

I think this was the essance of thr BTB tour. It's all about symbols. Just like the t-shirt Mick wore in the clip 'God gave me....'.
05-28-02 08:08 PM
nankerphelge I agree with Mick's obsession with history in his lyrics -- It started with Don't Hold Back on Dirty Work -- god what a horrible song.

A corrolary is his need to enunciate all of his lyrics now -- what ever happened to "Jagbonics" -- some of the best stuff out there is Mick slurring his way through a song. Christ, can you imagine Exile in fully enunciated form?

Do you suppose that Mick is now so enamored with himself, he feels the need to preach rather than prance?

Fuck that -- dance for us monkey boy!

That is all...
05-28-02 08:20 PM
luxury1 You guys slay me-----Jagbonics--I'm taking that to the grave with me. And I did love Maxie's rant and rave about all the complaining--he did put it in the proper perspective--dance for me monkey boy!!!!!! Oh god, I love this band!!!!!!!
MIck is a bit of a snobby history/literary buff--I think Marianne turned his head that way, way back then. He's gotten worse with it as he's aging, I'm afraid. Whatever happened to "Jump on top of me baby???????"
05-29-02 05:59 AM
stonedinaustralia now correct me if i'm wrong (and i'm sure somebody will) but i distinctly recall reading an article or two (rolling stone magazine i think) reporting that M & K were being threatened with legal action (if not taken to court) by a pair of songwriters who claimed the boys had ripped them off...

the connection, allegedly, was one of the staff at the studio who had a demo of the tune which included (i think) the "yeah oh yeah" hook at least

anybody know anything more??

i know, of course, they copped and (i think) accepted some flak over anybody seen my baby

and as has been pointed out above keith went nowhere near it...not to say its no good though (excuse double negative)

05-29-02 07:47 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
as the official Saint of the board, I'll take a stab at this one....

gotta say Mick. Micks into boring us with his useless knowledge of ancient history and mythology... "Saint Paul the Prosecuter was a blah blah blah who really cares blah blah of a soul" and "Augusta knew tiddly winks he liked whip cream, baby oil and thongs"

*ahem*... as the resident Catholic of this board, that's "Augustine", whose name I took as a confirmation name. He's the effing man. Rather like Keith, actually, and as we all know, Mick's best love song was written to Keith... no, not "Angie"!

Well, Augustine or no, I hate the lyrics to that song... again, someone said Jabonics? I was quite happy when I couldn't understand a goddamn word he was saying. It's still a nice song, and I like the "oh yeah oh yeah" bit. The music video, with Mick being all serious and Keith trying hard not to laugh, is worth whatever price of admission. Costarrs Ronnie smiling like Hannibal Lecter as he walks towards the camera for no reason and Charlie standing there with two drumsticks looking bored as nifty things happen around him.

It's interesting how unlike most bands, the big fans of the Stones tend to gravitate towards the "non-leading" members of the group, i.e., Keith (although I guess you could call him a leading member 'cause he gets the Jagger/Richards credit), Charlie, Ronnie, Taylor, even Brian, &c. (Ian Stuart and Nicky Hopkins... whooo!) Guess Jagger just plays businessman to the musicians. As Charlie Watts once said of Jagger, "Don't ever call me your fucking drummer. You're my fucking singer!"

quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
In fact, I distictly remember reading an interview where Keith said he didnt understand Micks recent obsession with writing crap like "seeing angels cry"

Hahahahahaha... too true... too true... and what was *up* with that pretentious "Goddess in the Doorway"? Keith needs another solo album.
05-29-02 11:21 AM
TT It�s definitely Mick�s song. WS outtake I�m told. The chorus is a bit like Simply red�s "The Right Thing", but to me Saint is the best single since Start me up.

Great live song, too.
05-29-02 11:42 AM
padre Saint's lyrics may be pretentious, but I'd rather have an album full of that than "Hey hey hey you got me rocking now" -nonsense.
Rocking would have been a classic rocker, a baby brother to Brown Sugar without the chorus' stupid lyrics dragging the song into medicority. Kinda reminds me that Aerosmith's Dude(Looks Like a Lady)was originally called Looking For A Lady. Thank god they gave the lyrics another thought (just try humming that song with those lyrics!). Pity that YGMR didn't get one. Same goes with I Go Wild.
05-29-02 01:16 PM
Fiji Joe Ain't heard none of ya'll bitching about Mick's knowledge of history and mythology when it comes to Sympathy for the Devil..."I rolled a tank held a general's rank when the blitzkrieg raged and the body stank...I shouted out who killed the Kennedys..."blah blah blah...who really cares"...Damn that pretentious bastard!..check yourself people...Do you have any idea how hard it is to write a song and how out of touch with reality the Stones are?..what do you expect from guys who themselves are history and mythology?
05-29-02 01:27 PM
sandrew Nanky - I kinda like "Hold Back," even though it's way overproduced. That riff eventually made its way into "Struggle" off of "Talk is Cheap." Anyone ever notice that before?
05-29-02 01:35 PM
nankerphelge Well ya know -- I guess every song has at least one person who likes it.

Have you ever played the game where you draw a picture of someone while you eyes are closed (my kids play this) -- with respect to Hold Back I always got the feeling that Lillywhite (wasn't he the producer) put each of the Stones in a separate studio -- told them the key of the song, and roughly the tempo -- and then let them each play and then mixed all of them together. Kind of an audio equivalent to drawing with your eyes closed!

It does sound a bit like Struggle -- that was the only solo release I ever bought -- it was good!

05-29-02 01:38 PM
Saint Sway Nankerphelge you make me LMAO!!

"Jaggerbonics"

and "Fuck that, dance for us Monkey boy"

is the funniest shit I've read in weeks!!

05-29-02 01:50 PM
sandrew Nanky - I see what you're saying; I agree that the production is very sterile. It's funny that "Hold Back" was a precursor to a Keith solo song, because I think Ivan Neville, a Winos compatriot, played bass on it (a very funky line that didn't mesh very well).
05-30-02 01:59 AM
gotdablouse Yes, most memorable song since SMU in my book ! And contributed to the overall quality of B2B.

TT - where did you hear this about SOM being a WS outtake. As far I know, no one's ever come up with any info about the unreleased recordings of Mick's (or Keith's 92 sessions for that matter) solo sessions. I do remember an interview when WS came out where Mick said that he had dropped a "psychedelic song" off of WS because he felt he was already "cramming enough bases in there". But it was unlikely he was referring to SOM !
05-30-02 08:12 AM
TT Hey, gotdablouse,

in 1998 a dutch fan told me that and it made sense ( to me). So it�s speculation, OK. But it would have fit on WS (not the production, but the song itself).
05-30-02 03:47 PM
Miss U. Thank God for BRUKSELBB and FIJIJOE!!

Jesus Christ, have you gone MaD, people?? Mick's singing is beautiful, one of the best things about the Stones, and his lyrics are incredible.
Mick has always been this way, slurring or not.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road