ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Good night... sleep tide ;)
© Unkown Author but with thanks to Irina!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan Glasgow club show added (NSC) Return to archive
1st June 2004 01:53 PM
Gazza just heard about this half an hour ago..

Dylan has added a club show at The Barrowlands, Glasgow to his UK tour itinerary, which will take place on Thursday June 24th

Tickets on sale through the usual outlets tomorrow at 9 am.
Price is £35, all tickets are general admission.

Just got my own 'advance' tickets taken care of a few minutes ago!
1st June 2004 01:56 PM
jb Enjoy Gazza..but I am being dead serious-his performance on the Willie Nelson special was incredibly bad...something is wrong with this guy.
1st June 2004 02:14 PM
Gazza Bob and barely reheardsed "TV duets" dont go. And if they do, theyre an acquired taste.

Bob in concert is another thing entirely. Something wrong with him? Read the recent reviews

1st June 2004 02:20 PM
jb He refused to even acknowledge the audience..why is he so angry at his fans? Why does he hate his fans?
1st June 2004 02:32 PM
Gazza Genius makes it's own rules. I like him as he is, for the most part. Unlike a lot of performers, he does what he likes and not what the business tells him he should do. Yeah, it'd be nice to get some more onstage patter once in a while (one tour he might be quite chatty, another tour not the case) but I'd rather he is what he is than the usual smarmy "hey its great to be in (insert name of shithole town here)..we've always wanted to play here. You're the greatest audience in the world" nonsense.

Also, they werent HIS audience, Josh - they were people who got tickets for a Willie Nelson TV special.

Dylan's actually a very shy man, believe it or not, not to mention wary of the level of fanatacism he's attracted down the years (much more extreme than those who follow the Stones, although not as plentiful). he's also quite myopic, which may explain why he looks at the audience in the way he does...!

Oh,and I dont think Dylan hates his fans. He plays varying playlists, plays every sizeable town in the world where he has a fanbase and charges his loyal fans a reasonable fee for the privilege.

If anything, I'd say charging your fans a week's wages is tantamount to having contempt for them or hating them. Not naming any names of course.....

[Edited by Gazza]
1st June 2004 02:33 PM
jb Well I respect you opinion Gazza....It's just that the one thing you can say about the Stones, is they love their fans.
1st June 2004 02:33 PM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
He refused to even acknowledge the audience..why is he so angry at his fans? Why does he hate his fans?

Well, in Amsterdam he greeted "the beautiful girls in the audience".
1st June 2004 02:41 PM
Gazza >Well I respect you opinion Gazza....It's just that the one thing you can say about the Stones, is they love their fans.

I think you must have posted your reply before I edited my post!

No, actually thats one thing I CAN'T say about the Stones, I'm afraid to say. Not for a second. They love our wallets, though!

If you think that because Mick and Keith make eye contact and say "thank you" every few songs or so that means they "love" their fans, then I'm afraid I'd rather be treated the way Bob does it. Charging five times as much just for a few "hellos" and "thank you"'s doesnt add up to having respect for your fans, in my book.
1st June 2004 02:50 PM
jb Well, having been privileged to have shaken all of the bands hands as they walked to the B-stage, I felt they gave something very special to me....as far as ticket prices, Madonna is charging over 300 and selling out every show...she is expected to gross over 12o million!!!It's everyone gazza-not just the Stones.
1st June 2004 03:03 PM
Gazza Its not just the Stones - indeed
But its NOT everyone. Far from it, in fact.

Madonna obviously has similar contempt for her fans too.

hey, if you think it was worth all that money, Josh - good for you and I'm genuinely happy for you that it was. I sure as hell dont begrudge anyone having a great time.
I personally dont think a random one second exchange of hands is worth sticking an extra zero on the ticket for, but each to their own. Personally, I prefer to let the music do the talking. Celebrity doesn't impress me to THAT extent.

If you can convince yourself that that little 'moment' made it all worth it, great. It can be done for nothing actually and on more of a one to one level if you're persistent and with a bit of luck, however.

1st June 2004 03:15 PM
jb Gazza, it comes down to what the market will bear...Superstat acts like the Stones, Madonna, Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand, etc can charge almost any price and they will still draw 90% full attendance figures
1st June 2004 03:24 PM
F505 And Paul McCartney ofcourse
1st June 2004 03:34 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
And Paul McCartney ofcourse

no sitting down on your butt
the world don't owe you
no sitting down in a rut
i wanna show you
don't waste your energy
on making enemies
just take a deep breath
and work your way up
let's work, be proud
stand tall, touch the clouds
man and woman, be free
let's work, kill poverty

la, la, la
work your way up

let's work, be proud
man and woman, be free
let's work, kill poverty

you're sitting down on your butt
and your get greedy
you start to lose your nuts
don't you look seedy
can generosity bring you humility
so take a deep breath

ain't gonna sweat for you
ain't gonna sigh for you
ain't gonna cry for you
if you're lazy

ain't gonna slave for you
ain't gonna hurt for you
it just won't work for you
if you're lazy

let's work, be proud
let's work, let's eat
let's live in ecstasy
man and woman, be free
let's work, kill poverty

let's work, be proud
man and woman, be free
let's work, let's work
get down in the dirt and let's work
get down in the dirt and let's work
get up, be free
get down in the dirt, let's work
get down in the dirt, let's work
get down in the dirt
take off your shirt
get down in the dirt
let's work

1st June 2004 03:59 PM
Gazza >Gazza, it comes down to what the market will bear...Superstat acts like the Stones, Madonna, Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand, etc can charge almost any price and they will still draw 90% full attendance figures

..or more! You're right...but only partly. It does indeed come down to what the market will bear..but also how much the artist in question feels the need to milk it.

Some artists could but choose not to (Springsteen for example). Most "rock n roll" acts dont. Its sad IMO that the Stones feel the need to categorize themselves with "non rock n roll" acts like the ones you've just named. No wonder their reputation and credibility gets bashed so much if thats the company they're keeping.. as someone who is so keen to defend the lack of respect they get, I'm surprised you can't see that this is part of the problem. They're PERCEIVED as a "Vegas" act because they price so many of their potential fanbase out of the market. Theres thousands (millions!) of young rock 'n' roll fans out there who have never got to see them because they're simply unaffordable. They've regained a lot of critical credibility in the last couple of years, but it could be so much better. The onus is on them.

Oh, and you left out the Eagles from that list. I think they were the first band to charge $100 a ticket when they had their reunion tour a few years back, just before the Stones followed their 'example'..with interest! There's a big rumpus in the Far East at the minute because theyve just announced shows in Hong Kong and Singapore and their prices are about 20% higher than what the Stones charged last year (and the Stones HK shows had already been quite controversial because they'd charged so much)
1st June 2004 04:11 PM
jb I like the way you analyze things..much smarter than I do..you should've been a lawyer!!!
1st June 2004 05:05 PM
Gazza Thats the funniest shit I've read on here in ages.

I work with lawyers a few days a week on Tribunals. I argue like shit with them as well. Maybe its because they make far more dough than I do...lol

Some people have told me before I should have been a counsellor or social worker. Never a lawyer, though..lol
1st June 2004 05:29 PM
Nasty Habits Congrats, Gazza!!

How big is the club?

And JB:

From Lou and Me:

A perfect day to get out of bed
shower, dress, shave, kiss you on the head
Then I hit the office and my head starts to swim

A perfect day to just walk around
see a violent movie, check the sounds
But even on the street
when I hear a phone ring my heart starts to beat
when I get home I don't want you to speak

Don't talk to me about work
please don't talk to me about work
I'm up to my eyeballs in dirt
with work, with work

How many dollars, how many sales
how many liars, how many tales
How many insults must you take in this one life

I'm in prison most of the day
so please excuse me, if I get this way
But I have got obligations to keep
so be very careful when you speak

with work, with work

Please don't talk to me about work
don't you talk to me about work
with work, with work

don't you talk to me about work
Don't you talk to me about work

1st June 2004 05:55 PM
Gazza Holds about 1,700 apparently. Already have tickets for Bob's show at the much larger SECC Arena the night before plus the outdoor event here in Belfast two days later, so thats 3 shows in 4 days. Pretty nice. Saw him at Vicar Street in dDublin 4 years ago which was about HALF that size but 1,700 is still pretty intimate.

Oh,and Joshie..one more point on the "Dylan hates his fans" theory that I overlooked in my excitement. As usual for the UK shows, advance ticket priority applications were made for the hardcore fans, in this case, those of us who subscribe to one of the UNOFFICIAL fan magazines based here. No silly provisions like having to pay extortionate fees to join worthless and almost useless OFFICIAL fan clubs to get priority tickets which...arent really that great at all sometimes. And this arrangement has being going on for every tour since the early 90's.
1st June 2004 08:17 PM
mac_daddy congrats, Gazza - I will keep an eye out for tasty sources from those shows when the time comes...
1st June 2004 08:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
No, actually thats one thing I CAN'T say about the Stones, I'm afraid to say. Not for a second. They love our wallets, though!

What a cynical statement to make. A real Stones fan would never preach such blasphemy.
1st June 2004 08:54 PM
Gazza Well, I guess I'm not a real Stones fan then as I'm not a psychophant who thinks everything they do is wonderful and for altruistic reasons. Thank fuck for that!! It'll save me the bother of going to another 13 shows next tour including two transatlantic trips to see them now that you've brought to my attention the fact that I'm not really a fan after all!

Thanks for pointing it out to me. Maybe I should close the site down then....!
1st June 2004 09:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Thanks for pointing it out to me. Maybe I should close the site down then....!

Why bother?
1st June 2004 09:09 PM
Gazza LOL